Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Havoc904 posted:

Anyone here been picking up the Batman TAS figures they have been releasing? I was looking at Two-Face over the weekend and was pretty impressed by all the cool accessories he came with. Trying to decide if I want to jump into the line now since I can still get all the releases up to this point for decent prices.

I'm sad to see that the Mr. Freeze they have released is the New style, but it looks like they are going to be doing two styles for a few people. At least the Catwoman is not the redesign.

I have the Catwoman. It's pretty dope. I'm drawing a line in the sand and only getting the original TAS designs and none of the redesigns (but I'll probably pick up the guys that y'know, didn't exist in TAS like Nightwing and Roxy Rocket).

The Two-Face that's out now is technically a New Batman Adventures redesign but he really didn't change much at all between the series, so I kinda doubt they will get around to making a second one.

The first line was plagued by breakages and bad QC. DCC is reissuing them in the future with some improvements. From what I hear they're going to be easily identifiable by the lack of visible pegs in the hip articulation. I apparently got a pretty solid Catwoman though as nothing on mine broke.

I need to grab the ones that just hit. Man-Bat, Robin and Joker are all BTAS designs and they all look fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I would pay $5 a month for a service that sends me a telegram when DC stops being such poo poo. I really miss DC in the 90s/early 2000s.

Honestly, I'd be glad to sign up for a DC Unlimited like Marvel Unlimited for the comics.

No clue why this doesn't exist, other than the fact someone at DC doesn't like money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Havoc904 posted:

Anyone here been picking up the Batman TAS figures they have been releasing? I was looking at Two-Face over the weekend and was pretty impressed by all the cool accessories he came with. Trying to decide if I want to jump into the line now since I can still get all the releases up to this point for decent prices.

I'm sad to see that the Mr. Freeze they have released is the New style, but it looks like they are going to be doing two styles for a few people. At least the Catwoman is not the redesign.

They're excellent. Can't wait to see the Batmobile in person.

Travis343 posted:

I have the Catwoman. It's pretty dope. I'm drawing a line in the sand and only getting the original TAS designs and none of the redesigns (but I'll probably pick up the guys that y'know, didn't exist in TAS like Nightwing and Roxy Rocket).

The Two-Face that's out now is technically a New Batman Adventures redesign but he really didn't change much at all between the series, so I kinda doubt they will get around to making a second one.

The first line was plagued by breakages and bad QC. DCC is reissuing them in the future with some improvements. From what I hear they're going to be easily identifiable by the lack of visible pegs in the hip articulation. I apparently got a pretty solid Catwoman though as nothing on mine broke.

I need to grab the ones that just hit. Man-Bat, Robin and Joker are all BTAS designs and they all look fantastic.

Creeper is out tomorrow! And buy Man-Bat ASAP as he is sold out at Diamond.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Rhyno posted:

Drat.

I bought it through my store a full year ago and it's long out of stock. The stands are all the same though.

Searching on eBay for "Play Arts Display Stand" brings up a fair number of results. Most of them aren't cheap though, looks like $25 to fully replace a stand if those are actually what you're looking for.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Yeah, the new Batman TAS line is pretty drat cool. I'd avoid anything from the first wave due to the breakage issues. As stated above, they're re-releasing the wave so if there's any must haves then just hold out a bit. Also I'm 90% sure they said they were going to try to release both versions of each character that had a redesign, so we'll most likely see the original Mr. Freeze and Two-Face designs eventually.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Yeah, the new Batman TAS line is pretty drat cool. I'd avoid anything from the first wave due to the breakage issues. As stated above, they're re-releasing the wave so if there's any must haves then just hold out a bit. Also I'm 90% sure they said they were going to try to release both versions of each character that had a redesign, so we'll most likely see the original Mr. Freeze and Two-Face designs eventually.

From what I've heard only TNBA Batman and BTAS Catwoman have been resolicited with the Harley wave that's supposed to hit later this year. I think most of the breakage issues were with those two figures. So I don't know if they're re-doing that entire wave or just those two.

I'm hopeful to see a Heart of Ice Mr. Freeze but like I said Two-Face is barely different in the redesign so I can see him not really being a huge priority.

Rhyno posted:

Creeper is out tomorrow! And buy Man-Bat ASAP as he is sold out at Diamond.

Does Diamond control when say Amazon gets their stock? Cause that's where I generally buy new figures from.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

Does Diamond control when say Amazon gets their stock? Cause that's where I generally buy new figures from.

They used to but I believe DC now supplies toys directly to Amazon. But grab him up quick because who knows if they'll do another run.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It does look pretty similar but thats good news about the old school Mr.Freeze coming in. That is the one figure I want out of all these.

TAS

TNBA

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ditto on that, I'd love an old-school BTAS Mr Freeze figure.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Marvel needs to get their poo poo in gear, I want 90's X-Men and Spider-Man toys of that quality

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Rage posted:

Marvel needs to get their poo poo in gear, I want 90's X-Men and Spider-Man toys of that quality
Spider-Man stuff has been picking up lately with Marvel Legends and even some of the Marvel Universe stuff if you like that scale, but apparently we won't be seeing much X-Men stuff in the near future because Marvel doesn't like promoting X-men merchandise because they don't own the movie rights to the characters (I think? Someone can totally correct me on that one).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I believe that FOX gets 50% of X-Men action figure money except for store exclusives which is why the Jubilee wave was so hard to find. Other X merch like statues and stuff Fox gets nothing which is why we're getting and ARTFX line this fall.

BTW I have all the Jubilee part figures still sealed for sale as a set if someone wants to shoot me a reasonable offer.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Disney is lenient and allows comic based X-Men stuff, but they completely restrict anything movie related from FOX. They are so petty about this that they even pulled the plug on all Quicksilver stuff from AoU to make some kind of dumb point.

I think only LEGO and Minimates were able to get out a movie QS before they put a stop on it completely.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

therealjon_ posted:

Disney is lenient and allows comic based X-Men stuff, but they completely restrict anything movie related from FOX. They are so petty about this that they even pulled the plug on all Quicksilver stuff from AoU to make some kind of dumb point.

I think only LEGO and Minimates were able to get out a movie QS before they put a stop on it completely.

Hot Toys still has one in the works I believe, there's way too much money to be made off completionist nerds

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 23, 2015

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

We'll see if it actually comes out. Hot Toys also has a sizable library of shelved releases they gave up on, or were stopped by the licensor. And the only thing they ever showed of him was a stand.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

therealjon_ posted:

We'll see if it actually comes out. Hot Toys also has a sizable library of shelved releases they gave up on, or were stopped by the licensor. And the only thing they ever showed of him was a stand.

Yeah but they shelved all that other poo poo because Disney/Marvel are firebombing Howard's home with gold bars.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

I believe that FOX gets 50% of X-Men action figure money except for store exclusives which is why the Jubilee wave was so hard to find. Other X merch like statues and stuff Fox gets nothing which is why we're getting and ARTFX line this fall.

BTW I have all the Jubilee part figures still sealed for sale as a set if someone wants to shoot me a reasonable offer.

I would love to get the parts from Storm and Mags since I could never get either of them....

gently caress TRU. I am still bitter.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My latest custom figure was commissioned by toy thread regular Xenomrph! It took me way too long, because these things always do, but finally it is complete.

Here I present to you the answer to the age-old question, which most of us have asked at some point in our lives:
"Dude, what if Conan the Barbarian was like... a hot babe with big hooters?"

Red Sonja!

This figure is very tiny. I don't normally work in 3.75" scale.

But I did my best to bring my usual level of detail:

This was made from a Marvel Universe Black Widow with a whole lot of resculpting. I got rid of that waist swivel entirely... because the chest swivel made it redundant, and because she needed that hott midriff! I think this is the first time I've deliberately removed a point of articulation from a toy. Thankfully, her face and hair didn't need replacing.

Accessories! In addition to the obligatory sword, the little dagger on her leg can be unsheathed, and I also included a battle axe and a fur cloak. This stuff was all scratch-built.

Sculpting and painting an outfit that small on a figure that small was a unique challenge. I'm probably not going to make a habit of it, lest I go permanently cross-eyed, but this project was fun, and I think the figure turned out pretty cool.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Goddamn dude, amazing job.

I'm about to attempt my own customs (wanna make the symbiotes from Separation Anxiety) any tips on what paints to use?

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
What would you charge for a Legends style Darkhawk?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I use acrylic model/miniatures paint. Citadel and Testors mostly.

Any good paint should work. The real trick is to take it really slow, build up thin layers, and let it dry properly. Bear in mind that the paint dries to the touch pretty fast but it takes a day or two to really set. It's easy to end up scraping up the joints if you rush it. Also get practiced at dry-brushing and applying washes, etc.

People should get at me on AIM or send a PM if you want to talk commissions. The price is gonna vary a lot depending on the demands of the project.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nerd Of Prey posted:

My latest custom figure was commissioned by toy thread regular Xenomrph! It took me way too long, because these things always do, but finally it is complete.

Here I present to you the answer to the age-old question, which most of us have asked at some point in our lives:
"Dude, what if Conan the Barbarian was like... a hot babe with big hooters?"

Red Sonja!

This figure is very tiny. I don't normally work in 3.75" scale.

But I did my best to bring my usual level of detail:

This was made from a Marvel Universe Black Widow with a whole lot of resculpting. I got rid of that waist swivel entirely... because the chest swivel made it redundant, and because she needed that hott midriff! I think this is the first time I've deliberately removed a point of articulation from a toy. Thankfully, her face and hair didn't need replacing.

Accessories! In addition to the obligatory sword, the little dagger on her leg can be unsheathed, and I also included a battle axe and a fur cloak. This stuff was all scratch-built.

Sculpting and painting an outfit that small on a figure that small was a unique challenge. I'm probably not going to make a habit of it, lest I go permanently cross-eyed, but this project was fun, and I think the figure turned out pretty cool.

You completely knocked it out of the park, I really, really like how it all came out.

The Rage posted:

Goddamn dude, amazing job.

I'm about to attempt my own customs (wanna make the symbiotes from Separation Anxiety) any tips on what paints to use?
I'm a huge Symbiote nerd, so please post pics of these when you do them. :kiddo:

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That is an excellent custom. I've been thinking about working on something like that as a hobby while I'm not animating. I was thinking about turning a Funko Slimer into the brother from Basket Case.

Great job with that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
HOLY poo poo

Neca's Predator con exclusive is loving amazing.

Kenners' Ambush Predator

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That Marvel Legends GoTG comic set went up on Entertainment Earth. It's $120 but there is a "Marvel20" code to bring it to $99 shipped which seems fair for a 5-pack.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NECA milking the gently caress out of their Predator molds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They need to make an accurate cloaked Predator. Then I'll buy it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It's missing the black chest piece. :doom:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

therealjon_ posted:

That Marvel Legends GoTG comic set went up on Entertainment Earth. It's $120 but there is a "Marvel20" code to bring it to $99 shipped which seems fair for a 5-pack.

Man, I want that but I don't NEED it as I'm trying to bug out of the ML line. I have movie Groot and the first releases of Drax and Rocket and that Star-Lord is in the Thanos Imperative 5 pack sitting on my shelf right now.

Edit: Seriously, is that worth it for Gamora and a new Groot head?

Edit 2: Why do they have "free shipping" and then charge you $16 more for shipping?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 25, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's a bugfuck ugly Groot head though. Looks more like it came out of Scooby Doo than it came out of Marvel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I checked out a toy store in the city and found an Avengers 1 Hawkeye for half of what the resellers on eBay want.

5 down 1 to go!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Got the AK Red Hood figure from DC collectibles, great stuff

Way, way better than the N52 Red Hood released earlier this year

My only complaint is the stupid "muzzle" they gave it

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, but that looks like a repainted custom figure.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

redbackground posted:

I'm sorry, but that looks like a repainted custom figure.

That's appropiate actually. Other than the helmet the design makes obvious that Jason just cobbled up together the suit with random stuff, the Bird on his back is shoddily spray-painted on, for example.

In any case, I'm really, really happy with it and I can't wait for the statue to be released.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's appropiate actually. Other than the helmet the design makes obvious that Jason just cobbled up together the suit with random stuff, the Bird on his back is shoddily spray-painted on, for example.

In any case, I'm really, really happy with it and I can't wait for the statue to be released.

I think the cobbled togetherness of the costume would stand out alot more if every other surface of the costume didn't have a poor paint job as well.

Regardless, looks like a fun toy to pose and if you are happy with it, thats all that matters.

If any other people are looking for cannonfodder/custom guys for 3 3/4 scale, then check out your local Toys R Us for old GI Joe Retribution figures. I stopped by one last Friday and ended up picking up a bunch of various ninjas from the line for $2 a piece. They come with alot of weapons and accessories as well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Havoc904 posted:

I think the cobbled togetherness of the costume would stand out alot more if every other surface of the costume didn't have a poor paint job as well.

Regardless, looks like a fun toy to pose and if you are happy with it, thats all that matters.

Is pretty fun to pose indeed! :buddy:

Anyways, Neca could milk the gently caress out of their Predator molds but they do care for the brand. I just love all the neat lore they put on the toys

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FV5KHSdGe4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neat!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought this last summer and finally found the time to tear into it.

It has some pretty big gouges in it so the plan is to sand it a bit and then prime and paint it. I'm looking for a nice metallic blue to match the current Man of Steel statue line. I need to see about polishing up the canopy and I snagged a replacement sticker set off Ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I bought this last summer and finally found the time to tear into it.

It has some pretty big gouges in it so the plan is to sand it a bit and then prime and paint it. I'm looking for a nice metallic blue to match the current Man of Steel statue line. I need to see about polishing up the canopy and I snagged a replacement sticker set off Ebay.

Awesome! Do you have the canopy too?