Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
There needs to be a comic book about a vampire xenomorph. Like, a facehugger infects a Kindred or something, and Caine notices and he's all like, "gently caress yes, this will be hilarious."

And then LaCroix tries to diablerize it and runs away screaming because the acid hurt his mouth or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Sorta relevant Hellblazer panels. These are from Ellis' Setting Sun I think, my library doesn't have too many trades to dig through. Just swap xenomorph for demon.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Screaming Idiot posted:

There needs to be a comic book about a vampire xenomorph. Like, a facehugger infects a Kindred or something, and Caine notices and he's all like, "gently caress yes, this will be hilarious."

And then LaCroix tries to diablerize it and runs away screaming because the acid hurt his mouth or something.
Considering the Giger character designs and that Blood of Acid is an advanced Vicissitude power, for my money they’d be some sort of long-lost Tzimisce bloodline from the Deep Umbra. :cthulhu:

e: then again I have a ridiculous Tzimisce fetish so :shrug:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GrimRevenant posted:

Considering the Giger character designs and that Blood of Acid is an advanced Vicissitude power, for my money they’d be some sort of long-lost Tzimisce bloodline from the Deep Umbra. :cthulhu:

e: then again I have a ridiculous Tzimisce fetish so :shrug:

Also because making a xenomorph is pretty much right up their alley.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"A giant rape monster with a penis for a head, you say? Well, I didn't have anything particular planned for this weekend..."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GuyUpNorth posted:

Sorta relevant Hellblazer panels. These are from Ellis' Setting Sun I think, my library doesn't have too many trades to dig through. Just swap xenomorph for demon.

It's from the Ennis run, specifically Hellblazer #69, collected in Tainted Love.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
By now, the Deus Ex Malkavian mod is making more sense to me than this and that was actually kinda fun and silly. This looks like a horrible chore made by some weird people.

But it has made this LP even better. Great job.

Can someone suggest any good mods for this game or should I expect the same thing or almost Redemption level of awful?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
McD, as far as I'm concerned, you're doing God's Caine's work.

Carry on you mad man.

I can't believe I almost downloaded this monstrosity at one point.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

uncleKitchener posted:

By now, the Deus Ex Malkavian mod is making more sense to me than this and that was actually kinda fun and silly. This looks like a horrible chore made by some weird people.

But it has made this LP even better. Great job.

Can someone suggest any good mods for this game or should I expect the same thing or almost Redemption level of awful?

Clan Quest Mod.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Fuzz posted:

Clan Quest Mod.
Uh…

quote:

Highlights of Clan Quest Mod

• 12 totally new quests - one for each clan, two quests for evil players, a quest giving more context to the Kuei-Jin, and two other special scenarios! Each quest is written and constructed to match the clans' ambiance and feel; dig up dirt with the Nosferatu, work deals with the Ventrue.
  • Packaged installer, seemlessly includes many other mods for installation, including Camarilla Edition, Arsenal Mod, Comp Mod Lite, and a "Nightmare Mode" combination of Pop's Difficult Mod and PnP Combat Mod
  • Several new cut scenes - Featuring full voice acting
  • A fully functional achievement system with 36 achievements. Track your progress in-game with an easy to use menu!
  • Over 1,000 new dialogue lines, with main characters voiced by semi-professional voice actors!
  • The new quests feature genuine WoD lore and facts; learn more about the Masquerade than ever.
  • Meet 20 new NPCs including a members of the dreaded Assamite and Lasombra clans.
  • Powerful new quest rewards, including stat increases and even learning a fourth discipline!
  • A new cut scene featuring VV's never before seen strip show.
:stonklol:

Heard of it when it was in development, never actually tried it out. Alas, I am not willing to seem lessly, so the honour will have to go to one braver than I.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have the Clan Quest Mod, and most of the dumb stuff is actually optional. The actual clan quests are rather nice in my opinion, and while the voice acting is clearly amateurish, I can tell that some of them are genuinely trying to make the effort. Also, much fewer tits, surprisingly. There's also one quest in particular involving a Kuei-Jin that I found very interesting, especially since I didn't know squat about the setting.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

I looked these up a long ago, and that's the Thrashing Dragon dharma right? It's pretty neat introduction.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GuyUpNorth posted:

I looked these up a long ago, and that's the Thrashing Dragon dharma right? It's pretty neat introduction.

Yeah, that's it. It was short, sweet, tasteful even, and offered an interesting look at how things are done elsewhere. I have to admit though, I got a little squeamish at the (spoiling for safety) feeding scene, but only because I like playing high Humanity vampires.

EDIT: Just saw the strip show note. Don't worry, there's no nudity or anything, it's just VV's model doing some kind of dance, IIRC.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
Hmm, okay. Might have to check it out, then. Cheers! :cheers:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, after whatever the gently caress happened last time, I sure hope we're going to have a return to relative normalcy.

We get some mad stacks from LaCroix alongside the mission to head to the museum, but we've got some other side quest stuff to do first.

First off, let's revisit Fat Larry's sidequest - now that we have an ace up our sleeve in the form of the healing factor, things shouldn't be that much of an issue anymore. I didn't bring any friends along, but still, since all we have to do is not die, things should be fine. Let's do this.

Things start off pretty good - as predicted, the healing factor can deal with pretty much everything that isn't aggravated damage or concentrated machine gun fire, and these thugs don't have either.

The triad members (or whatever they're supposed to be) are better armed, sporting shotguns and submachineguns instead of pistols, but it's still nothing that poses a major threat.

On a lower level, we find this character who was either hanged or hung herself. This is here because of reasons, I'm sure. I'm not going to even attempt to reason that out, though.

Important safety tip: Be very careful when swinging sledgehammers around cars.

They might blow up and nearly kill you.

On further lower levels, Sabbat get thrown into the mix because why not, obviously the Sabbat were also involved in this suitcase exchange.

In fact, they seem to be one of the two parties in the deal, not the triad guys and the gang guys, as they have one of the suitcases.

A lot of murder ensues repeatedly, and we eventually retrieve the proper briefcase and return it for some more mad stacks.

Moving on, we've got some gargoyle business to be doing. I am jumping ahead with this - we technically don't know how to get the gargoyle going yet, I think - but I believe I've already broken the quest in some way, so gently caress it. I know that the three things we need are the Gargoyle Franklin Badge, the werewolf blood and Thaumaturgical Creatures, but what I didn't know for a while was where the gargoyle was. Turns out, it's actually at Gimble's place. If you recall the "orders" part of his computer, he says that he intercepted the shipment, now has the gargoyle in his possession and is experimenting with finding potent enough blood.

Basically, this thing is the gargoyle. Well, time to get to bringing this thing to life!

...I forgot the werewolf blood. Bollocks. I must have left it in the Santa Monica haven.

Alright, we're back. And now I realize I don't exactly know what to do, just that those three items are involved. I guess I put these two into the gargoyle?

Well, the screen faded to black, the gargoyle is now standing, and... I'm stuck?

Oh god, a pedestal materialized under me and now I'm fused to it! Noclip to the rescue!

So now we have a pedestal... I guess we put the book on it?

Oh, and now we can use the book, and it has a hidden compartment. I guess this is where the talisman goes. The talisman that is now in the gargoyle and I can't get at anymore. Bollocks. Reload!

Once we put the talisman in the book, the gargoyle springs to life and our character names it Rockbiter. That's a stupid name. Gargoyles doesn't eat rocks, they drink blood. A proper name is befitting of this new member of our army (or whatever I'm going to call it), and as such, he shall forthwith be known as Edward VII of Saxe-Coburg and Giovanni. He acts like any other companion, so we just send him to our haven for now, since next up will be sneaking.

So, next up, the museum!

Well, that's what I'd say, but as it turns out, I lost the footage for the museum. That's kind of a problem, but as it turns out, the museum actually didn't have any changes I could see, so it's not that big a loss. And yes, that means they added no combat segments. I know, it's hard to believe. All that happened was that I snuck around a lot, then made it to the last part with lots of cameras, where I proceeded to get caught a lot by single guards, cast Command on them, then snapped their necks from behind until I eventually made it to where the sarcophagus was supposed to be. I also picked up the fetish that Pisha was looking for and a skill book for Inspection. I went back to LaCroix and he sent me to Hollywood, so that's where we're going now. There should be more interesting things there anyway, so let's not dwell on the museum.

You know, the great thing about snapping everybody's necks and not getting detected by the cameras (because you turned them off) is that you look like a super-ninja that got the drop on everybody and silently dispatched them, not a klutz that got caught several times and relied on vampire magic to bail them out. Anyway, on to Hollywood!

Upon our arrival, we are accosted by the local Anarch community.

So we give the local Anarch community our regards. After shaking the cops, we go and check out the Red Spot for some new weapons or armor.

Somebody left some cash in the freezer. Well, I'm not going to compla-

Suddenly, robbery! Note: Over the next series of screenshots, pay attention to the subtitles. They're a thing of beauty.

Put your hands up, put your loving hands up right now!

Open the register.

Wha... I...
I said open it, fucktard!

Oh god, oh god, don't hurt me!

God drat, you're pretty.
What are you doing, man?
Just having some fun...
Please... please, just...
That's right, bitch. Beg for it.

Look, leave her alone...
Shut your loving hole and open the register!

A gas station robbery? This looks like a job for Captain Sledgehammer!

CHARGE! Victoria has officially gone full Chaotic. Not Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil or anything like that, just Chaotic. Saving prostitutes in alleyways for no personal gain, then turning around and dominating people to just have them hang around her house - I'm really starting to realize just how much I'm playing this entirely based on random whims I'm having. Must be some sort of reaction on not seeing any reason in half the poo poo I'm encountering in this mod - I don't know why they do what they do, so why put thought into what I'm doing, right?

When we're done dealing out justice in the form of a sledgehammer, we get a cool 200 bucks as a reward...

...plus a free dot in Barter from the cashier dude here, who suddenly talked to me in a completely different voice. I wonder why...

We also pick up the spiffy new armor set and a nifty new submachinegun, the M3A1, AKA the "Grease Gun".

We stop by the Sin Bin, but there's nothing much all that interesting here - well, apart from one thing.

The dancer in the peep show now does full frontal. Well, I guess if there was one place to put that, it would be here. Otherwise, nothing much here.

We take a trip over to Vesuvius, and there's a lot less exposed tits going on here. Guess that's how a more high-class club works?

This dancer over here is offering us a private dance for a fat hundred bucks - this essentially means she's a hooker that costs double at the least, since we can only drink blood from her. Also, she only wears tassels and mesh pantyhose. I'm not sure if I would have to censor that, because I can't actually see anything, but I'm just not going to show a picture and solve the problem that way.

Well, that, and we can dominate her into servitude. So of course I do that and send her to hang around with Azara, Heather and Edward VII. Am I going to do anything with all these people I'm accumulating? Probably not. Meh.

Meeting up with Velvet, she's in such a hurry to get a private one-on-one with Victoria that she leaves afterimages on the way. We get the quest to take out the hunter.

On the way out, I notice this poster, which gives me a good chuckle. Yeah, no boobies here, not at all...

At the Sin Bin, we go through the motions to get everybody out - locking down the one peep show booth...

...stealing the quarters the other guy needs...

...and luring the other dancer away...

...adding her to my collection while we're at it, because why the hell not.

Finally, we get to beat up on the hunter, but apparently, I must have done something wrong, because Velvet bitched me out for being too loud. Is it the sledgehammer? When I reloaded and redid it, using the machete that time, everything went fine, so I guess that was it.

...hm, wait a second, why's the same "<More...>" prompt I saw with the companions here? Does that mean they have some new stuff there?

A special fantasy? I wonder what that's about...

Oh god. This is going to involve her drinking the blood from that creature that has the same effect as Dominate. I could add Velvet to my collection. That does sound enticing for absolutely no reason whatsoever, but if anything, it'll have to wait until we complete the other quest she has. So, we get that quest, and off to the Luckee Star we go.

The screenplay is gotten with little problems. And since we're here, we might as well check up on some other things.

There's a locked room here that contains a laptop, another Heart of Darkness (why?) and some pills. We grab the stuff and check out the laptop.

Under "for friend", we find two options - "sam j." and "don't forget".

don't forget posted:

Don't forget to check if you are followed.

sam j. posted:

I'm waiting for you in the Gallery Noir in Santa Monica.

And as soon as we read that second one...

A helicopter flies in?

Oh god, they're shooting at me! Why are they shooting at me? And why is Ride of the Valkyries playi-

quote:

another Heart of Darkness (why?)

You motherfuckers, I just got that.

We take out the helicopter crew, which leads to it exploding...

...and crashlanding in the pool, netting us a sweet 5 XP. So, this pretty clearly sets up a quest, right? Well, guess what happens when we go to the Gallery Noir?

Go on, guess.

Nothing. The questline isn't finished yet. God damnit, that actually had me intrigued there and now I'm not getting any payoff. I really hope that's finished in the next larger patch (which should come any day now from what I can tell, I think?).

We also continue the Southland Slasher quest. In fact, let's finish that off while we're at it, we need to go to Santa Monica to go murder Julius anyway.

On our way there, we find this weird thing on the toilet.

This is actually a pretty nice item, since it can just be activated and deactivated when you feel like it, and you only ever need Research to identify items and use skill books, things you can do from the safety of your haven, where the lowered Humanity won't faze you. I'm keeping this around.

Then I get bonked on the head by a falling car. God damnit.

We make it to the serial killer, and when we go to kill him, he turns into this. Was this what he looked like in vanilla? I feel like that's probably not the case, but I'm not sure.

This guy is a bitch and a half to deal with, even with the healing factor. He's utterly relentless when it comes to closing distance to melee, he's faster than you, and he deals aggravated damage. I had to quaff some blood packs to survive this fight, but eventually he goes down.

While I'm in the area, might as well drop by Mercurio's and pick up my SPAS-15.

Mercurio, where is the SPAS-15. You promised there would be a SPAS-15. So, as it turns out, they replaced the SPAS-15 with that NATO rifle I picked up in the Tremere haven a while back. What a load. With the shotguns having more punch in this mod, I would have loved to get the SPAS back, but nooooo, we can't have fun, can we?

So then I go and take my anger out on Julius.

Next, we head downtown and get the Odious Chalice from Pisha in exchange for that thing we grabbed from the museum.

We also get some more mad stacks from Venus. At this point, our cash is hovering comfortably in the 3000 range - a far cry from when I was bitching about not having enough money in the main LP. Feels pretty nice to just be able to shoot indiscriminately because buying ammo is peanuts.

Next stop, a trip back to home base to see how everybody's doing - seems like everything's in order. Heather kidnapped some guy for me to eat up, I'll do that later.

I also find that Misti, the girl we grabbed from Vesuvius, has a few different outfits - the nipple tassels and pantyhose she originally had, another outfit with nipple tassels and a thong, and then this nice evening wear. She'll be sticking with that - less complicated to think about when it comes to black boxing. It already comes with its own black box. We also get the quest to mess with the restaurant in Hollywood - just another item on the to do list.

Finally, we drop off the screenplay and tell Velvet that Julius is dead. Since I've been extra nice to her, I get her signed photo, which is worth a pretty penny if I were to sell it. I think that's a pretty good time to stop - next time, we'll continue bopping through Hollywood, doing side quests and poo poo. Also, I just realized that I'm coming up on the spot where I've originally taken over at the main LP. I'm coming full circle!

Also, here's Heather's new "sexy" outfit. Not a fan, really.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, that's it. It was short, sweet, tasteful even, and offered an interesting look at how things are done elsewhere. I have to admit though, I got a little squeamish at the (spoiling for safety) feeding scene, but only because I like playing high Humanity vampires.

EDIT: Just saw the strip show note. Don't worry, there's no nudity or anything, it's just VV's model doing some kind of dance, IIRC.

Isn't it just a lap dance with jerky, stilted animations? Anyway, it can't be as creepy as Mass Effect. Every animation in those games is thin, generic, without character or sense of physicality, and then the blue slut elves start dancing and it's the most lovingly-detailed, lifelike, well-choreographed stripper dance in video games. God, that's weird. Going from deep in the uncanny valley to mo-capped come-gently caress-me dancing is the blow-up sex doll of video games. Can't be creepier than that.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

TheMcD posted:

We make it to the serial killer, and when we go to kill him, he turns into this. Was this what he looked like in vanilla? I feel like that's probably not the case, but I'm not sure.
Looks like the game’s standard Gangrel “War Form” to me, so… I think so? He was a wolf-man for Melissa, but I’m pretty sure that was thanks to the Plus Patch.

The fact that all the Gangrels in the game (including a PC Gangrel) transform to bat-men rather than wolf-men (in vanilla, anyway :wesp::argh:) is part of why my theory on the Sheriff is that he’s a Gangrel rather than a Tzimisce… but that’s a discussion for another time. :can:

It’s kinda hard to get a look with NPCs, but if you look at your character screen while transformed, you can clearly see the outsize bat-ears and vestigial wing-flaps along the arms. It’s almost cute, apart from the whole “massive be-fangèd and –clawèd beast trying to turn your innards into outards” aspect. :3:

e: I reinstalled vanilla 1.2 to check, and sure enough, bat-man!
please excuse the terrible screenshots, this guy is a motherfucker

And no, I did not manage to take him out with a starting character, even as a Gangrel with Feral Claws, though I did manage to knock him over briefly! :v:

e₂: OK, here’s a cleaner, higher-res pic:

:ssh: I am pretty sure he’s actually invincible at this point

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 25, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That outfit was Misti's default one in the original game. She also did the same dance offer.

And the Sheriff isn't Gangrel or Tzimisce, he's a Laibon... probably a Nagloper but possibly Akunanse. There's even some backstory somewhere about how LaCroix picked him up in Africa.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 25, 2015

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Fuzz posted:

And the Sheriff isn't Gangrel or Tzimisce, he's a Laibon... probably a Nagloper but possibly Akunanse. There's even some backstory somewhere about how LaCroix picked him up in Africa.
Oh yeah, he’s almost certainly Laibon, but I don’t have Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom so I can’t remember the name of their Gangrel bloodline.

If you’re interested in having this discussion now I can totally dig up the half-written post I had lying around, because while it’s generally accepted that he’s a Nagloper, to the point where e.g. the Plus Patch modifies things to make the case stronger, I think that there are more… interesting possibilities.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TheMcD posted:

Oh god. This is going to involve her drinking the blood from that creature that has the same effect as Dominate. I could add Velvet to my collection. That does sound enticing for absolutely no reason whatsoever, but if anything, it'll have to wait until we complete the other quest she has.
Well, she is a vampire, so if you bring her with you presumably she'd actually be somewhat useful in a fight, and there's that thing where your followers come back to life if they die, meaning you can basically use them to cheat your way through any fight. Plus you can switch to controlling her and use her disciplines. So basically it's incredibly unbalanced and essentially ruins the game if you want it to. But on the other hand, the combat was never the fun part of this game and there's even more of it with this mod, so... :shrug:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am, perhaps morbidly, curious about how allied vampire NPCs work out in combat.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Make every NPC available to you, your buddy. I want to see just how cramped our apartment gets.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Are we absolutely sure that you can only have one follower at a time? I'm kinda hoping they messed up the flags so you can lead an angry mob of half-naked people around.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Aithon posted:

Are we absolutely sure that you can only have one follower at a time? I'm kinda hoping they messed up the flags so you can lead an angry mob of half-naked people around.

As far as I can tell, the "two followers from Companion Mod only" limit is hard. Not sure if it conflicts with vanilla companions (people like Johansen that follow you around), but probably not. I loving wish I could lead all the prostitutes of LA into the assault on Venture Towers - that would probably make this mod into the greatest thing ever.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TheMcD posted:

As far as I can tell, the "two followers from Companion Mod only" limit is hard. Not sure if it conflicts with vanilla companions (people like Johansen that follow you around), but probably not. I loving wish I could lead all the prostitutes of LA into the assault on Venture Towers - that would probably make this mod into the greatest thing ever.

Wait until you see what they did to Ventrue Tower in this mod.

:psyboom:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

I suppose our minds are incapable of sufficient strangeness. Sabbat on hoedown, death metal blaring from boombox by Chunk in the background? :haw:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheMcD posted:

I loving wish I could lead all the prostitutes of LA into the assault on Venture Towers - that would probably make this mod into the greatest thing ever.

Leading an army of invincible, scantily-clad women in an assault on a fortified vampire-owned skyscraper sounds more like a game of Mage or Genius than Vampire to me.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CommissarMega posted:

Leading an army of invincible, scantily-clad women in an assault on a fortified vampire-owned skyscraper sounds more like a game of Mage or Genius than Vampire to me.

Nah, it'd be perfect for the average Vampire LARP. Well, except for the part where you'd have to get people to want to actually do anything.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

GuyUpNorth posted:

I suppose our minds are incapable of sufficient strangeness. Sabbat on hoedown, death metal blaring from boombox by Chunk in the background? :haw:

Given this mod so far, probably nothing so good. Remember the elite squad with the best gun in vanilla? The one that was basically a free blood refill? Yeah, imagine it now with the changes to guns this mod made. And they probably added more of them too, if what we've seen so far is any indication. Then there are the Ventrue vampires who will most likely actually use their disciplines and be dangerous now.

Honestly, it feels as if the mod was "balanced" with the idea that the player would have companions as soon as available, so that you have a bunch of meatshields to hide behind when foes start shooting, because unless Necromancy-5 gives zombies much more HP and defense, they'll be torn to shreds in seconds lategame.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oh hey, this game is on sale this weekend for steam. 5 dollars.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

TheMcD posted:

When we're done dealing out justice in the form of a sledgehammer, we get a cool 200 bucks as a reward...

When I first read that, I thought she was giving you her baby. Minion or melee weapon? I'd have been fine with either one, really.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Glazius posted:

I am, perhaps morbidly, curious about how allied vampire NPCs work out in combat.

...you son of a bitch.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PREVIOUSLY, ON LET'S PLAY VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE - BLOODLINES: ANTITRIBU MOD:

TheMcD posted:

...and crashlanding in the pool, netting us a sweet 5 XP. So, this pretty clearly sets up a quest, right? Well, guess what happens when we go to the Gallery Noir?

Go on, guess.

Nothing. The questline isn't finished yet. God damnit, that actually had me intrigued there and now I'm not getting any payoff. I really hope that's finished in the next larger patch (which should come any day now from what I can tell, I think?).

You will note that it's been over a month. There has not been a new larger patch. Even if there had been a larger patch, it apparently would have done other things. There has only been a minor patch, which supposedly "fixed some dialog bugs". The changelog noted in the readme is the exact same as the last hotfix, so no help there. They said it didn't break saves, and as such, I installed it. Let's hope everything blows up and I don't have to play this mod any more, because this session reminded me as to just why I don't loving like it. But who am I kidding, I'd just reinstall and play through the entire thing again because I hate myself. But enough self-pity, let's get back to someone else who could also be worth pitying.

And that someone is Victoria, our intrepid heroine with a penchant for collecting primarily assorted prostitutes, but also other characters for no other reason than that it amuses her. I'm torn between putting more points in combat and defensive skills or giving up on the Sisyphean task of keeping up with this combat and just keeping the console on hand for godmode.

So... uh, anybody remember what the gently caress we were doing? I sure don't. Well, quickly browsing over the last update reveals to me that we were cleaning up every other possible quest in Hollywood before talking to that jackass AINO, Isaac Abrams, and making our way towards... ugh, I don't even want to think about it.

First off, we deal with the restaurant problem LaCroix put us on, and being the Ventrue stand-in for this mod, we do it with Dominate. Did I mention that we got this quest? Well, if I didn't, I'm now retroactively mentioning it, and now we've done it.

Next up, I decide to take a look around the back alleys of Hollywood, maybe we can run into another little sidequest like we did with the prostitute we saved? Well, the answer is no. Instead, we run into a bunch of dudes like this that want to kill us.

He is clearly a formidable foe, for not only does he wear the Football Pads of +1 Bashing, but he's got a helmet too! Still, he is dispatched with relative ease.

Next to him was a manhole, so I thought "hey, maybe there's something interesting down here!" and went down. Guess what? There's nothing interesting down here. You know what is down here?

More loving enemies.

And more enemies. Let's just walk up and kill this gu-

poo poo

gently caress

After way more hit-and-fade tactics that should be necessary for some random thug in the sewers, I finally manage to take him down. And what was this fearsome weapon that manages to strike fear in the hearts of vampires, that can tear them asunder in just about a single volley?

An AK-4-loving-7. Bah. Bah, I say! Next stop, the graveyard, to go and get Romero some help with his problems.

Since dealing with the zombies is already a loving nightmare in the regular game, I went with the "just get him somebody to gently caress" option. However, I can't actually offer to let Victoria gently caress him herself, which I'm pretty sure should be an option. Well, getting him a prostitute it is, then...

Well, looks like we have a problem, because I can't find the dialogue option that tells them that you want them to go to Romero. I guess I just hire her and then drag her along to the graveyard?

Nope, she ditched me. What a oval office. I paid for you, and I didn't get anything yet, you don't just cut and run just because your client wants to go to the graveyard. Back we go...

OK, I guess I Dominate one into following me and bring her over that way?

Nope, Romero's not impressed. Well, balls. Guess I have to try and deal with the zombie problem after all.

Alright, now Romero leaves the cabin...

...he leaves the cabin...

...Romero, you're going the wrong way...

...alright, gently caress this. Long story short, I went out to take a poo poo, came back, he was still meandering around and I was still locked into position. I went out to get something to eat and drink, came back, he was still meandering around. After what felt like ten minutes, I gave up and just reloaded. Looks like Romero will have to deal with blue balls until Gehenna comes.

One more sweep of the back alleys leads to Victoria and her newest friend making some more new acquaintances.

Also, I remembered to pick up that money we found in the Red Spot, since we were so rudely interrupted by robbers the last time we were there. 25 bucks, nothing special, but it's still nice to have.

I get it into my head that I want to do the Ash quest next, and do the combat solution to see how that's been changed, so I get another new hooker friend, but then almost instantly send her to the haven because I completely forgot that we can get somebody else on our side.

We convince VV to drink the Animus Stupido, go through some cringeworthy "mua-ha-ha-ha" evil dialogue, and we now have ourselves a new companion! Again!

Also, she has a spiffy new outfit, though due to some crashes, I forget to make her wear that one instead of her default stuff for most of the update.

And here's her stats, courtesy of possession. Seduction out the rear end, but nothing much else - as expected, really. Next stop, the Asp Hole.

One fun extra thing is that since VV has 10 Seduction, we can use her to seduce blood dolls, then come back and drink from them as Victoria later, since the game doesn't actually know that it was a different person that did the seducing.

So, we run into Ash being a mopey gently caress, and instead convince him to not be such a mopey gently caress and go shoot up some hunters instead.

So here we are in the sewers, with our motley crew of adventurers - a movie star turned vampire, a stripper/prostitute/whatever turned vampire, and just a plain prostitute. I like to think that Victoria was up to her share of debauchery as well before being Embraced (she's a Giovanni, after all), so she fits right in. Time to go kick some hunter rear end. Don't mind the "Creation Szlachta" discipline I've got, that's a bug that happens when I possess somebody and then go back. I can't actually use it, and it doesn't show up again if I switch disciplines - unless I possess somebody and leave again.

The welcoming committee is not far off, and it packs a fair punch, but this is one of the rare situations where the player actually has the numbers in their favor, so they go down fairly easily.

Some more enemies show up in the next area...

...and of course they hit like a loving truck. Apparently, I'm supposed to attribute this to the appearance of an "Ultra Hunter"? Wonder what that's about. I'm sure it's not a boss that's way too powerful for me, that would be totally unexpected!

Sadly, however, it is exactly that. Here, I got his attention with a shot that missed.

Here's my health about a second later. This might take some time.

Also, he can cast some sort of magic that hurts and locks me into place. That doesn't help.

So, at this point, it's just a matter of throwing enough meatshields at the problem for me to hide behind, and carefully chipping away at his health...

...I might have a shot here...

...one second later. gently caress.

Second attempt. Got myself holed up and ready to move ou-

-oh god damnit he loving moved this time.

WELP.

The third attempt didn't go much better, either. Once that fucker locks on to you, you've got about a split second to make your move and get the gently caress out of his line of sight, else you're deader than poo poo.

So gently caress this, godmode to the rescue.

You know, I've never really thought about it before now, but melee characters are hosed in this mod. Unless you pump defense like there's no tomorrow, guns can shred you in seconds, barely enough time to close the distance, let alone get a single hit in.

And of course, if you try and make a melee move, you advance further down the level, spawning even more hunters that will just wreck your god drat poo poo. Why do we even need hunters if some gently caress with an AK-47 can just tear a vampire apart without any major problems, anyway?

In a side area, we find this item. I don't use Auspex. I don't even HAVE Auspex. Well, let's not look a gift dot in Inspection in the mouth.

But of course, just turning on god mode doesn't mean all problems are just gone, as Ash wishes to prove here as he has the Ultra Hunter tear through half his HP in about two seconds before I manage to draw the fire back onto my own invincible character.

The fucker finally goes down to concentrated four-character fire, and of course he was also just carrying an AK-47.

The rest of the mission isn't anything special and probably wouldn't have given me any major fits if I wasn't using godmode. We run into some more colorful characters (these are hunters, right? From the Society of Leopold?) and kill them.

Ash gives us a sweet amount of cash, and what's that dialogue option I spy? "Join my group"? This is going where I think it's going, isn't it?

Oh, yes, it is. The Animus Stupido comes back into play, and Ash joins our crew of dominated servants. I like this, because it's a way to stick it to that rear end in a top hat, Isaac. Suck it, Isaac! Your beloved childer works for me now! At least, I think he does?

After the conversation finishes, nothing happens, I talk to him again (netting another sweet 500 bucks), and now I get these dialogue options. Weird, did he join my team or not?

Well, as we reappear in the sewers, it's just Victoria, VV and Random Prostitute, so I guess not?

It's at this point that I notice a change in companion behavior - they seem much more likely to respawn at the exact same spot I'm at. Here, they're blocking the way to the exit, so I have to trudge back and try a different spot. Annoying. Next stop, Isaac.

I engage in a bit of an rear end in a top hat-off with him, though he obviously wins, being the bigger rear end in a top hat, and we get sent off to the internet cafe.

On the way, we run into Samantha, and... oh god, I can add her to the collection as well? loving score! She gets added to the list of people hanging around the haven. Must be getting awfully crowded up there.

Anyway, go to internet cafe, go to back alley, talk to dude, dude dies, go to Isaac, talk about Ginger Swan, go to internet cafe, learn about Ginger Swan, go to graveyard. Not even sure if all those steps are necessary, but I took them anyway.

We head to the graveyard, and all of a sudden my character moves slowly into this place and locks, which is code for "something is about to happen and we want you to stand right here, so do it". What happens?

This guy shows up. No, the subtitles didn't break, the guy just speaks in some weird backwards tone, probably ripped from some other game.

The conversation obviously goes nowhere, and he summons a bunch of skeletons, then teleports out. Random combat encounter time, yaaaaaaay!

Nothing really special about this combat, it just breaks down into a massive clusterfuck with one or two skeletons in the back shooting some ranged attack, and it fairly quickly ends since none of the skeletons have guns, the destroyer of vampires.

Though the main enemy has one special thing about him - when you get him down to half health, he suddenly turns invincible for a whole minute and you just have to wait. loving riveting design, lads.

This guy pops up again, says something, and disappears.

We also get this really loving helpful quest note. "What do you gotta do?" I don't loving know, call the Ghostbusters? I'm pretty sure there's no procedure on "guy shows up, talks backwards at you, summons skeletons, then leaves". Anyway, we get the video tape.

On the way back, I get fed up with my companions constantly respawning at my current location and send one away, hopefully that will solve the problem...

So, now I only have... two companions? Ash? Where'd you come from? I suspect what happened here is that when I made Ash a companion, it forced him into the party, loving things up by having three permanent companions even though you're only supposed to have two, and that forced the constant respawns and stuff. Now things seem to be better, though they're still kind of buggy, but that's just standard buggy compared to the extra buggy we had before. Also, as a side note, the VV model is not made for running. Her tits just go all over the god drat place, it's ridiculous. It's clear that it was never supposed to run (since all she does in the vanilla game is saunter around), and the model can't handle it. It's part really weird and part really hilarious. Kind of like the first time you find the "money" console command.

Also, here's Ash's stats. A bit better in combat than VV, but still eh all around. Anyway, we get the tape to Isaac.

You know, I've seen this video way too many times now. The girl seems to have gotten a makeover for entirely arbitrary reasons, but the video is still mostly the same.

I just wonder how the gently caress they got shots like this. For a "snuff" film, this has some pretty loving impressive cinematography. You'd think that in loving Hollywood of all places, they wouldn't buy that something like this is not staged.

While talking with Isaac, our companions get bored and start photobombing the LP. I guess I can live with that. Next stop, the Sin Bin.

We get our information from Flynn...

...and Ash starts levitating and clipping through walls and doors. All in all, just another day in Antitribu Mod. Then, to the telephone, then, to the Luckee Star.

We find the key to the internet cafe door, and I find myself getting loving stuck because VV won't move all of a sudden and the door frame prevents me from crouchjumping over her, though she did get out of the way after about a minute of bumping into her.

Next stop, the internet cafe. The Geodudes here are not that big a deal, since they don't have GUNS, but something more disconcerting happens - I lost the healing factor somehow. This is going to cause some problems down the line, especially with... ugh, THAT coming up.

Oh, and all the human enemies here are ghouls, so they explode upon being killed, because that's what they do, I guess? Sure hope you didn't roll up a melee character! Hell, even ranged characters will have big problems with this, given the enclosed environment these studios are.

These explosions really are a bitch to deal with. Here's me killing one of those guys that was using a melee weapon, so he was relatively close to me.

This is where the explosion ended up throwing me. That's across the entire room, up to the god drat ceiling.

We make our way through the studios, almost dying a few times along the way, since I wasn't properly prepared with blood packs. Had to pop one of the Elder Vitae, since that was the only blood pack type I had left.

And before we get the tape, we obviously have to fight another one of those ghouls with a melee weapon in an even more enclosed environment. Hope you like taking damage!

So, we get the tape, get almost killed by Geodudes on the way out because our companions got stuck at the box climbing and vent crawling bit and for some reason aren't respawning nearby right now, and get the tape back to Isaac. Again, nothing new on the tape.

And with that, we're now ready to go to King's Way. ...actually, I lied. We're not ready. I know this because I'm not ready. I'll never be ready for this loving segment in this loving mod. But it's still going to happen.

One quick trip to the haven to see what's been happening here - things are pretty crowded, indeed.

Very crowded. I didn't see Samantha, though. Maybe I have to dismiss some followers to get them to file in? There has to be some sort of upper limit, though I was never informed I was hitting it or anything.

This guy's still here too. I'll have to remember to come here when I'm low on blood some time.

And, to finish things off, here's a shot of Victoria's stats. Decided to once again go heavy on the defense, since I know what's coming up. So, next time, it's going to be those sewers. I'm coming full circle on this LP.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
This mod is... wow. :suicide:

I don't think anyone would blame you for just adding in the XP to max your combat stats out and maybe toggling godmode any time you feel like it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Good to see this lp back in action.

I can't help but feel that this mod would be a hell of a lot more tolerable (despite it's other, many, many warts) if they toned the difficulty down just a notch. Some of the stuff actually looks ok, if poorly thought out.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Halfway through the update I was hoping that Ash wouldn't join your party because the mod maker wrote the dialogue to enslave a not-woman but just couldn't stand to go through with it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I think that you needed seduction to actually sleep with Romero to finish his quest.

Try possessing VV and talking to him before you head to..... ugh.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
The latest wesp patches have added an alternate path to the warrens. Maybe there's one in the antitribu mod as well?

Also I have a small theory on Grout and why he was sane enough to be offered primogen on day 1 in the camarilla: I think he was a Caitiff. He didn't know anything about vampire society, apparently his sire was killed shortly after he received the Embrace. Maybe contact with other vampires and specifically Malkavians are what awakened his true madness?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Basically yeah. Grout's madness was telling him about all the other vampires and their bullshit plots. Until he encountered other vampires, there wasn't a chance for this to get working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Added Space posted:

Halfway through the update I was hoping that Ash wouldn't join your party because the mod maker wrote the dialogue to enslave a not-woman but just couldn't stand to go through with it.

In a way, I was glad that Ash didn't seem to want to join, since he didn't really fit into the Lecherous Legion or whatever the gently caress I'm going to end up calling it, and was kind of disappointed he did end up sticking around. I'm still not dismissing him, since I need to see if he'll still show up at the Society of Leopold.

Shugojin posted:

I think that you needed seduction to actually sleep with Romero to finish his quest.

Try possessing VV and talking to him before you head to..... ugh.

I thought about it needing Seduction - the FAQ I read didn't say anything about it, so I thought it was just bugged, but yeah, since I now have 10 Seduction at my disposal, that should be worth checking out.

Odd posted:

The latest wesp patches have added an alternate path to the warrens. Maybe there's one in the antitribu mod as well?

I believe that that shortcut is indeed in Antitribu Mod. However, it wouldn't be right if I took it. I need to see just what the gently caress these guys are willing to throw at the player in this terrible segment. I'll probably end up godmoding through it, but I'm going to honestly try and beat it first.

• Locked thread