Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

It's actually 87 cents, but i was leaving room for it to go back up over the lifetime of the car.

Filled up my bike with premium last night at .91/L

I didn't notice any change in the prices of fuel or booze with the budget a few weeks ago either for which both were supposed to go up :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

slidebite posted:

Filled up my bike with premium last night at .93/L

I didn't notice any change in the prices of fuel or booze with the budget a few weeks ago either for which both were supposed to go up :raise:

I pay $1.63 for 91 during the summer. It goes as low as $1.30 in the winter and I think I'm getting a good deal then.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Where are you?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

I pay $1.63 for 91 during the summer. It goes as low as $1.30 in the winter and I think I'm getting a good deal then.

Alberta Advantage. :colbert:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

slidebite posted:

Where are you?

Langley, BC

1500quidporsche posted:

Alberta Advantage. :colbert:

The only advantage.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

The only advantage.

That and no sales tax. Everything else is garbage though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
2012 Volt's are going for $15k cdn stateside with 50% warranty left. Now I'm probably looking at $1000 to get it back into canada with fuel and brokerage, but my ex just purchased a 2013 Cruze in LT trim used at $15,500. Apples to oranges as the Cruze had less than 10,000km but still, at $16000, the Volt becomes attractive if I calculate a fuel savings of roughly $350 per month.

Edit: Also been thinking of selling the Rubicon. Just did knuckle u joints, I have ball joints and wheel bearings coming from rock auto. After that it's either some big beefy expensive upgrades to handle these 37" tires, or sell it all and take a 33% value hit over 6 years of ownership which isn't bad at all.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 28, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Are you factoring in a rise in your electrical bill? I don't think its much but it may impact your decision.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1500quidporsche posted:

Are you factoring in a rise in your electrical bill? I don't think its much but it may impact your decision.

No because I'd charge it at work. I have a block heater outlet at my company truck's parking spot which i'm free to use. It would be a 6 hour charge, but I usually work 12 hour days minimum.

At a 28,000 price tag it doesn't make sense. In my sort of niche situation, it kind of almost makes sense to have a cool techy blinky light car.

One odd thing, That Chevy cruze gives me motion sickness even when driving. However it may be due to just not being used to a lower vehicle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looking at Seattle craigs, there is quite a few Volts to choose from, but a nice one for $15K US might not be easy. Where are you seeing them go for $15K CDN?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=volt

Even if you are able to score one for around $15K, by the time you go CDN$, getting there, getting it back, RIV inspection, any other importation bullshit, you'll pretty easily be over $20K :canada:

What is the electrical consumption for a Volt anyhow? It should be pretty easy to ballpark the electricity charge cost. I also understand the -20 performance of them is pretty abysmal, as in the gas engine runs pretty much runs all the time.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 28, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

It's actually 87 cents, but i was leaving room for it to go back up over the lifetime of the car.

You say that as if gas didn't go up to $1.00 literally overnight :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

You say that as if gas didn't go up to $1.00 literally overnight :argh:

No, it'll probably jump straight back to $1.10 on may long weekend.

If you're spending $25k and importing something from the states, make it a CL65 AMG. it has turbos, a lot of manufacturers are using that stuff for fuel economy now.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 28, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Got my van prepped for the kart.

Hopefully this guy finishes putting together the kart. He said it would be ready by wednesday but I'm sort of skeptical. Want to get going and hit that track.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

jonathan posted:

2012 Volt's are going for $15k cdn stateside with 50% warranty left. Now I'm probably looking at $1000 to get it back into canada with fuel and brokerage, but my ex just purchased a 2013 Cruze in LT trim used at $15,500. Apples to oranges as the Cruze had less than 10,000km but still, at $16000, the Volt becomes attractive if I calculate a fuel savings of roughly $350 per month.

Edit: Also been thinking of selling the Rubicon. Just did knuckle u joints, I have ball joints and wheel bearings coming from rock auto. After that it's either some big beefy expensive upgrades to handle these 37" tires, or sell it all and take a 33% value hit over 6 years of ownership which isn't bad at all.

You'll definitely want to check into the transferability of the warranty. When Canadians started buying lots of American cars, a bunch of manufacturers stopped honouring American warranties in Canada to protect their Canadian price fixing dealer costs.

1500quidporsche posted:

Got my van prepped for the kart.

Hopefully this guy finishes putting together the kart. He said it would be ready by wednesday but I'm sort of skeptical. Want to get going and hit that track.

So awesome. I'm pumped to see the kart.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Looking at Seattle craigs, there is quite a few Volts to choose from, but a nice one for $15K US might not be easy. Where are you seeing them go for $15K CDN?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=volt

Even if you are able to score one for around $15K, by the time you go CDN$, getting there, getting it back, RIV inspection, any other importation bullshit, you'll pretty easily be over $20K :canada:

What is the electrical consumption for a Volt anyhow? It should be pretty easy to ballpark the electricity charge cost. I also understand the -20 performance of them is pretty abysmal, as in the gas engine runs pretty much runs all the time.

I've seen about a dozen in that price range in Texas/Nevada/Arizona in the last 6 months.
It is not $5000 to import a vehicle. LoL what ? I would be broke if that were the case. There is GST to pay, but that is charged at a dealership anyways. It's about $600 if you're lazy like me and get all the brokerage and paperwork done for you. It's around $180 if you do it yourself including the air-con tax.
The motor doesn't run all the time.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chevrolet-Volt-2011-VOLT-NAV-ELECTRIC-XENONS-BOSE-ALLOY-BLUETOOTH-/161677048881?hash=item25a4b3fc31 <---Under 16k for this one currently.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 29, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrakeriderCa posted:

You'll definitely want to check into the transferability of the warranty. When Canadians started buying lots of American cars, a bunch of manufacturers stopped honouring American warranties in Canada to protect their Canadian price fixing dealer costs.

That is a good point. I will have to doublecheck on that.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I did something incredibly stupid and bid on the motorcycle equivalent of a BiTurbo at an antique auction May 10. Said MFG has zero dealers in Canada and prior to splitting the company business units into separate entities, used to make shotguns.
I hope for everyone's entertainment that no one else is as dumb or dumber than I to bid on it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think the election has jumped the shark at this point:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/calgary/topstories/jim-prentice-defends-pc-candidate-mike-allen-convicted-of-soliciting-prostitute-1.3054410

quote:

Alberta Premier Jim Prentice says a PC election candidate convicted of soliciting a prostitute is acceptable because he owned up to what he did. But Prentice said the party was correct in disqualifying Jamie Lall as a candidate in Chestermere-Rocky View, because Lall once had a restraining order against him in relation to his former girlfriend. Prentice said the restraining order alone was enough to disallow Lall, but the other factor was that Lall refused to tell the party.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

McTinkerson posted:

I did something incredibly stupid and bid on the motorcycle equivalent of a BiTurbo at an antique auction May 10. Said MFG has zero dealers in Canada and prior to splitting the company business units into separate entities, used to make shotguns.
I hope for everyone's entertainment that no one else is as dumb or dumber than I to bid on it.

Benelli? BSA?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

I've seen about a dozen in that price range in Texas/Nevada/Arizona in the last 6 months.
It is not $5000 to import a vehicle. LoL what ? I would be broke if that were the case. There is GST to pay, but that is charged at a dealership anyways. It's about $600 if you're lazy like me and get all the brokerage and paperwork done for you. It's around $180 if you do it yourself including the air-con tax.
The motor doesn't run all the time.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chevrolet-Volt-2011-VOLT-NAV-ELECTRIC-XENONS-BOSE-ALLOY-BLUETOOTH-/161677048881?hash=item25a4b3fc31 <---Under 16k for this one currently.

No its not $5k to import I never said that. I said converting $15k from US and bringing it up is $20k

E:posting from phone sux

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 30, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

McTinkerson posted:

You had better get that loving thing if its what I think it is

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

No its not $5k to import I never said that. I said converting $15k from US and bringing it up is $20k

E:posting from phone sux

Oh oops. Yeah no I wasn't as clear, it was $12,000ish USD. Anyways every time I drive this Jeep to somehwere fun like the bonfire on the river last night, makes me want to keep it. But 95% of the time it sucks to drive.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yay good news for me. Busted axle shaft turned out to just be a steady bushing or whatever on the rear driveshaft. Apparently the wheel hop kicked out all the old rubber.

Kind of regretting sending it down to the repair shop, but it would have likely turned into a 1 day gently caress around anyways.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

Benelli? BSA?

If it is Benelli, Pro Am in Calgary used to sell them but gently caress if I know if they'd still have anyone who would work on them

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's a Benelli
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973065&pagenumber=390&perpage=40#post444586116

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It loving snowed at like, noon, and then 5 minutes later it was sunny and 15 degrees. quit loving with us, weather! :argh:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

It loving snowed at like, noon, and then 5 minutes later it was sunny and 15 degrees. quit loving with us, weather! :argh:

That happened here yesterday. Fuckin' beautiful out, went into the advance polling station to vote, station was at a mall so I bought some rendom crap, get out and it's halfway to a blizzard. Back to spring by the time I got home.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Really? It was gorgeous here all day. 6C in the AM but got to high-teens this afternoon and felt a lot warmer in the sun.

Just want the lows at night to be warmer than 0 for a week so we can throw our plants in :argh:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ive spent the last 2 days prepping what was the kinda lovely garden and turning it into a zen/rock garden, which will also be an rc crawler course, but wont look like it. I may build some little obstacles out of some scrap painted lumber I have.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
4:1 low range in my Jeep JK and a 50,000lb rated tow strap sure make quick work of lovely shrubs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Best zen garden ever^^

Chatted with my neighbor today. He was helping his kid into his first house and I knew the son was so excited he was like a little puppy pissing itself so I asked him how the move went.

Little hangup he says.

How so?

Well, son wanted to do some painting before moving everything in and pulled the baseboards off only to discover mold.

Except the mold moved.

House was loving infested with bed bugs. Everywhere. No way the previous owner didn't know and of course it wasn't disclosed.

Pest control people were called yesterday and lawyers will be called tomorrow.

That'll put a damper on moving day into your first house. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Eugh holy poo poo.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

That is loving terrifying. Yeeeeesh. So good that they discovered it early, though.
Well, kind of early.
<shudders>
I'm going to be hiding in a corner here. Yech.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
That's really lucky that he found them before all his stuff was moved in. It's bad enough getting those disgusting bastards out of a house, but once they're dug into your clothes, luggage and furniture it's much worse.

The wife and I had to deal with it once after travelling for work, and it's a nightmare. Bedbugs are amazingly resilient and survive almost anything.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hopefully he can get out. I doubt the rest of the house was kept up if there were bed bugs.

I don't know what it is with first homes, I got burnt on mine. Thank god I didn't have bed bugs though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Shudder. I have a medium phobia of bugs. He should bulldoze the house and turn it into an RC crawler course.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah it's really lovely. I'll be talking to his old man in the next day or two I'm sure to see how it's progressing. I'd be livid.

Not sure if the owner was actually the resident or if it was renters. If it's renters the owner could play the "I didn't know card" but I can't imagine a tenant not mentioning that little tidbit to the landlord.

Other option if they don't pursue getting out is just dealing with it and bomb/bake the house to kill everything. It should be reasonable to do now with it empty. Are professional treatments pretty successful?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Other option if they don't pursue getting out is just dealing with it and bomb/bake the house to kill everything. It should be reasonable to do now with it empty. Are professional treatments pretty successful?

I've heard they are when done properly and especially with an empty house/no carpet. Seems that most of the problems are soft goods in the home recontaminating it (beds, sofas, clothes, suitcases, etc). We had a bad spate of them around this area a few years back. Fortunately I didn't get any.

This still doesn't stop this from being a really lovely thing to have to deal with and something I'd be afraid to use for a couple months after bombing just to make sure those fuckers are dead (they will die on their own without a host).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
If there are no people that need to stay in the house, baking it is pretty straightforward. Without furniture etc. it'll be even easier. They just crank up the temperature for a day or two - bedbugs die at something like 40 C so you just need to heat everything up to that level for long enough for even the frame of the house to reach temperature.

Still sucks to discover that, but finding it before moving in is pretty lucky. I'm curious if they can get something out of the previous owner, baking a house for bedbugs isn't free, plus the time and hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

jonathan posted:

He should bulldoze the house and turn it into an RC crawler course.

This is the proper, and best, answer. Mainly because I'm going to make a small one in my back yard this summer and need more ideas :P