Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Ballz posted:

I'll spoil this juust in case people want to remain totally in the dark about casting/shooting developments (not a book spoiler): Both Bran and Hodor's actors confirmed they would not appear this season, but return next season

Yeah I read that spoiler and that's loving lame. Seriously It's like the whole point of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

People have flipped their poo poo over far less in these threads.

Edit: I misread your post, I thought you were saying my use of spoilers was "loving lame," not the news contained within. :shobon:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 29, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Seriously It's like the whole point of the show.

Many would disagree with that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bran is not the point of anything.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
They should have skipped him in Seasons 3 and 4 too. That storyline was the worst part of both years.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Super Ninja Fish posted:

They should have skipped him in Seasons 3 and 4 too. That storyline was the worst part of both years.

Theon getting tortured was the worst storyline of Season 3.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

So It Goes posted:

Alfiee Allen is one of the best actors on this entire show, so nope.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So It Goes posted:

Yep. I realize they had to keep the actor employed and that what I heard about the books wouldn't work in a visual medium, but yeah, that got old way fast. The only good parts of them were getting to know Ramsey "That horn blowing bastard" Snow, but really, it all could have been resolved in two episodes maximum.

whatever7 posted:

Show cut out Jorah's back story with his ex wife which IMO adds alot to his character. Not only does Dany look like his ex wife, she is also, like his wife, too high born for him. It's one of my favorite origin story in the book actually.

One thing I've learned is if the show skips something from the books, it's still a loving spoiler. Why? Because they reshuffled things for dramatic effect on the show that were in earlier books. I've had several things ruined for me as a result, and this one goes on the pile.

In fact at least three separate important things that people told me because "Oh, they skipped it on the show so it's OK" have been brought back in different places for impact, very successfully.

Same thing more or less happened on Walking Dead where "Oh this character doesn't die / dies earlier in the books so I can tell you what happens in the comics" happened a bunch, only for them to transfer the same plots, deaths, and concepts to other characters later on. Of course, Walking Dead is also The Walking Dead so I'm not exactly annoyed by spoilers at this point there. GoT is a much better show.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 30, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In my experience TV shows and books can be enjoyable even if every moment of the experience isn't a total surprise.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this is why people spoiler bomb these threads

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Then nobody would recognize the Hodor-sized Bran when he come back.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kiimo posted:

Bran is not the point of anything.

I really could not care less about Bran.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Bran tried to stop Rickon from smashing walnuts.

Bran is very uncool.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I really want to know what will happen to the walnuts now that Rickon is unchecked, but I don't want to spoil myself.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Bran is really boring but he's going to become a crippled wizard who kills things with his brain so im fine with it

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The first 5% and most recent 5% of Bran's story line are the only times that anything interesting ever loving happens.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Come on now, it was pretty cool when he warged into Hodor.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

GonSmithe posted:

Alfiee Allen is one of the best actors on this entire show, so nope.

That's kind of why it sucked though. All he got to do was scream in season 3. That one moment when he started to crack under questioning at Moat Caitlin in season 4 was worth all his screen time in season 3. Or should I say scream time. Reek, more like Shriek amiright folks?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

That's kind of why it sucked though. All he got to do was scream in season 3. That one moment when he started to crack under questioning at Moat Caitlin in season 4 was worth all his screen time in season 3. Or should I say scream time. Reek, more like Shriek amiright folks?

Reek, Reek, it rhymes with shriek

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

:monocle:

I always knew it was loosely based on the UK, but never noticed the bottom half was upside-down Ireland. I always thought Dorne was reverse Cornwall or something.

The most surprising thing is that Winterfell is Birmingham. They got the accents wrong in the show, clearly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Having Bran around means we get evil skeleton magic battles on screen, so I for one want more Bran.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yes, more of this, please!

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Point of order: at the Wall all titles, claims and lands are forsaken by the Night's Watch- why does Jon still refer to Janos Slynt as Lord Janos? He'd be Ser Janos, if he was ever even a knight, or just Janos, or Slynt. Unless he does it to mock him as the other watchmen do with 'Lord Snow' to mock Jon's high/low birth.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

SexyBlindfold posted:

I really want to know what will happen to the walnuts now that Rickon is unchecked, but I don't want to spoil myself.

Same thing that happened to Orson's beetles :rip:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Point of order: at the Wall all titles, claims and lands are forsaken by the Night's Watch- why does Jon still refer to Janos Slynt as Lord Janos? He'd be Ser Janos, if he was ever even a knight, or just Janos, or Slynt. Unless he does it to mock him as the other watchmen do with 'Lord Snow' to mock Jon's high/low birth.

Night's Watch talk a lot about how they're an egalitarian meritocracy, but they haven't escaped the greater social system they live in.

Nobility have a very prominent part to play in their senior ranks, e.g. Lord Commander Mormont, Ned Stark's brother, Ned Stark's bastard. Even at the beginning of S1E01, Ser Waymar Royce is giving orders to men with decades more experience than him by virtue of his nobility and knighthood.

So in short, titles shouldn't matter at The Wall, but in practice, they are a way to get power and influence, so people keep them in their words.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In practice, any noble has a billion times more education and training than random convicted rapist #7. Compare Jon when he first showed up, versus the others who had probably never held a real sword before.

It's a meritocracy like the real word is a meritocracy. Sure, you can rise through the ranks based "only" on how well you perform, but how well you perform is heavily influenced by how privileged you grew up.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
hmm I see that even though the GoT thread is practically dead, people still bitch about harmless spoilers. Seriously, grow a set of balls.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

frankenfreak posted:

It's a small world after all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

frankenfreak posted:

GoT.gif

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

watwat posted:

hmm I see that even though the GoT thread is practically dead, people still bitch about harmless spoilers. Seriously, grow a set of balls.

Are you serious? Wanting to have something you enjoy unspoiled has nothing to do with having balls

Especially when there is a dedicated spoiler thread

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Too bad Sansa doesn't have telekinetic powers.

Oh, wait...

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

In practice, any noble has a billion times more education and training than random convicted rapist #7. Compare Jon when he first showed up, versus the others who had probably never held a real sword before.

It's a meritocracy like the real word is a meritocracy. Sure, you can rise through the ranks based "only" on how well you perform, but how well you perform is heavily influenced by how privileged you grew up.

Karl fookin Tanner rose above that system. What a fookin legend.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

The Duggler posted:

Are you serious? Wanting to have something you enjoy unspoiled has nothing to do with having balls

Yes but irrelevant back story about a minor character's wife who has never and will never be shown on screen is not a spoiler unless you're a complete tight rear end.

This thread is really annoying at times because of the people who just have to let us all know that they read the books, and also for the people who consider a loving episode preview to be a spoiler.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Gildiss posted:

Karl fookin Tanner rose above that system. What a fookin legend.

Gin Alley will never see another of his caliber. :smith:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

ironlung posted:

Yes but irrelevant back story about a minor character's wife who has never and will never be shown on screen is not a spoiler unless you're a complete tight rear end.

This thread is really annoying at times because of the people who just have to let us all know that they read the books, and also for the people who consider a loving episode preview to be a spoiler.

So in a spoiler free thread we are the assholes for not wanting spoilers?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

ironlung posted:

You do realize it's not just this thread with those rules right? It's literally every other "no spoilers" podcast and article out there.

Anyways, this season has been boring as hell so far. I want more Tyrion, more magic poo poo, and for Dany to do anything interesting for once since she got Dragons.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

joshtothemaxx posted:

Anyways, this season has been boring as hell so far. I want more Tyrion, more magic poo poo, and for Dany to do anything interesting for once since she got Dragons.
The "A Whole New World" segment, with Dany as Aladdin, Drogon as the carpet, Tyrion as Jasmine, and Jorah as the tiger.

Prophaniti
Oct 2, 2008

Do you lie awake at night fearing my gash?
One thing that bugs me about Cersei in episode 3. On what grounds does she throw the high septon into a dungeon, I thought it was pretty legal, but frowned upon, to go to a westerosi brothel. Plus is she a selfnamed Hand of the King now? I dont really get what her official role or her motivation for behaving as she does. Doesn´t she realize she is risking alot trying to force her way into the established religion, instead of just leaning back and wait for her brother/lover to come back?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

She sees the sparrows as useful idiots to prop up her weakened power base and undermine the Tyrells.

You don't need a crystal ball to see it's going to backfire spectacularly (glass houses and all that), but I think she's getting pretty desperate. Margery's doing on number on her son, Kevan won't back her, and she's lost a lot of her erstwhile "allies" in the capital.

Prophaniti posted:

One thing that bugs me about Cersei in episode 3. On what grounds does she throw the high septon into a dungeon
On whatever grounds she wants, autocracy is great like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thread deader than Ned.

• Locked thread