Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Kid Fenris posted:

Are you going to play the Suikodengaiden games as well as the DS and PSP titles?

Me, I'm fine pretending that Suikoden stopped after the second one.

Suikoden 3 is really good tho.

e : loving gently caress how do I keep starting new pages? Let me find something to post here.

Here we go. I mounted my marquees over the weekend.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

I got maybe a quarter of the way through Water Margin and got really bored. Should I give it another shot? Or would you recommend one of the other three/five great Chinese classics? Tangentially related, should I ever bother with the Tale of Genji?

It reminds me a lot of 1001 Arabian Knights where you have these nested stories that intertwine with each other and feel a lot more like folklore than a direct narrative. If you think that sounds good to you, then try diving into it again.

On the other Great Novels (as opposed to great novels) I love Romance of Three Kingdoms and that's like China's Illiad. And if that's the Illiad then Journey to the West is The Odyssey. Both are similarly episodic and Romance has an absurdly large cast. If you don't care for reading that, then there have been multiple very good television adaptations of the book with the most recent one from about five years ago being especially terrific.

I completely bounced off of Tale of Genji. That's okay, not every classic is for everyone.

Kid Fenris posted:

Are you going to play the Suikodengaiden games as well as the DS and PSP titles?

Me, I'm fine pretending that Suikoden stopped after the second one.

I was joking about playing 1 through 5 and Tactics. I'm not really going to do that, though. That would essentially be my all gaming time for four and a half months.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

I didn't even know there WAS a sequel! I'll have to track that down and give it a shot.

Is this where we mention those super rad Odyssey2 games that I've always wanted to play that were board games that required a cartridge in the Odyssey2 to work?

Has anyone ever played this or the other ones and are they as neat as I really wish they are?

Played Quest for the Rings with half-understood kid rules, and it was pretty rad. Would totally get some nerds together to play it as adults.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

RE: Space Harrier, they actually touched up their port for the retail collection - they went back and "layered" all the sprites using a technique they debuted with 3D Fantasy Zone 1/2, and they added some extra options/configs because Hideki Kamiya wouldn't shut up about them on twitter - so if you really want the definitive version and can play JP 3DS games, grab the compilation.

Was this the only 3D game which got an upgrade for the cartridge release, or did others?

home movies brendan
May 22, 2009

Caitlin posted:

e : loving gently caress how do I keep starting new pages? Let me find something to post here.

Caitlin, what kind of tv is in this pic?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

home movies brendan posted:

The kind I spent $3.00 on at Savers (think Goodwill). It's a Samsung and I will tell you the model whenever I get home, though! I just don't know it off of the top of my head, sorry. :sigh:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

univbee posted:

Was this the only 3D game which got an upgrade for the cartridge release, or did others?

A couple others had some minor bugfixes/corrections that weren't patched into the JP digital versions, but I don't know if those corrections were carried over to the NA/PAL digital versions, so I don't know how "exclusive" they are.

In case you didn't know, the cartridge releases also includes the SMS games Space Harrier 3D and Outrun 3D, which can't and won't be made available elsewhere.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Caitlin posted:

Where'd you get that awesome Tar Man-ish skeleton thing? I think I need one because every day should be Halloween.

kynikos fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 30, 2015

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

home movies brendan posted:

Samsung FM15K5. :buddy:

kynikos posted:

Where'd you get that awesome Tar Man-ish skeleton thing? I think I need one because every day should be Halloween.

That is not Tar Man-ish, that is Tar Man! Made by 8 Bit Zombie.

http://8bitzombie.bigcartel.com/product/body-bag

People always notice the Power Glove but never notice that he has a My Pet Monster shackle.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Wow, I'm so jealous of your room. It looks so neat compared to mine...

Also, love the Splatterhouse mount on the wall. I wonder, is playing the unlockable games from Splatterhouse 2010 okay?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RadicalR posted:

Also, love the Splatterhouse mount on the wall. I wonder, is playing the unlockable games from Splatterhouse 2010 okay?

The emulation seems fine, and I think it's the only time they've ever released the original arcade game on home consoles. They edited/replaced a bunch of the digitised stills in Splatterhouse 3, but it's not a big deal.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Wow, I'm so jealous of your room. It looks so neat compared to mine...

Thank you :3: I live in a one bedroom apartment, so really the only other rooms are my bathroom, bedroom and kitchen (which connects to the living room), so since I'm a neurotic freak and I hate having a messy living room I've been having to think hard about how to make things work without just being piles of crap everywhere (which would drive me insane). Potential downside of anyone who comes to my house seeing everything all at once (besides what I have hooked up in the bedroom because you're drat right I'm gonna play games in bed), but oh well. There's a whole other bookshelf that is being overtaken with game stuff (the same size as that one but deeper) and a standalone storage tower that has all my Gamecube/Wii/Wii U/PS Vita titles.

Also yes it is okay to play those versions. Honestly I had fun with Splatterhouse 2010 and like it (not love, but certainly like) and those are the most accessible (legal) versions of the other games to play.

Even though I love :retrogames: I won't snub my nose at all four Splatterhouse games for, at this point, sub-$10.

fun : that Splatterhouse marquee is a custom piece by my friend who does custom arcade cabs and is signed by a bunch of world record holders; the largest signature is Billy Mitchell's (and he made sure of it)

vv Shell looks great to me?

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 30, 2015

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I finally did a thing without loving it up. Hooray!

I'd like to find a less lovely shell at some point, but now I can play gb/c games in the most comfortable way possible. Glass lens, ags101 screen from a super hosed sp donor. Feels good.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Vegastar posted:

I'd like to find a less lovely shell at some point, but now I can play gb/c games in the most comfortable way possible. Glass lens, ags101 screen from a super hosed sp donor. Feels good.

Screen looks beautiful.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Vegastar posted:

Looks great! Actually I want to bring this up since you reminded me.

I did the same mod a while back and it came up fine and dandy. It was ok for a while. I put the GBA away for a bit and when I turned it on recently, I was greeted with this:

Any ideas what could be wrong? It wasn't stored improperly because I take spergtastic grade levels of care of my retro stuff. I didn't mess with the voltage when I did the mod. I do remember pinching the wire extra wire you have to solder down but I didn't see any damage at the time. I haven't opened it back up since then. The only thing I can think of is the screen might have been compressed? :confused:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

kynikos posted:

Here you go, have a better picture of Tarman. He's so enthusiastic!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

The emulation seems fine, and I think it's the only time they've ever released the original arcade game on home consoles. They edited/replaced a bunch of the digitised stills in Splatterhouse 3, but it's not a big deal.

For some reason my little LCD TV has an issue with outputting the sound in those emulated versions. No idea what the gently caress, every other game I've thrown at it is fine.

Also, I wish there were an option to make them fill out a 4:3 screen but nope, it's about as barebones an implementation as possible.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

Gunstar Heroes is getting a 3DS Sega Classics 3D remake. These have been extremely competent remakes so far and 3D Space Harrier might just be the best port of the arcade game yet next to the 32X version. I'm curious how they'll handle it.
2-player was a huge part of the game and I'd like to think they'll somehow include it. 2-player mode also had adjusted damage and reduced sprites on screen which kind of sucked at the time. As overclocked Genesis/MD users can probably tell the lag is intentionally coded in unlike losing a bunch of rings in Sonic games and I'd like to see them keep that as accurately as possible. Knowing these 3D remakes all of this will probably be in a greater options screens, but it's something they have to be very careful about.

The Sega 3D classics on the 3DS are amazing. Ironically, Nintendo's releases are awful and lazy. Excitebike 3-d was great, but I could swear Kid Icarus 3d and Kirby's Adventure 3D are just being emulated it seems so lazy. Barely any 3D effect, 4:3, all sorts of stupid stuff. They tricked me with their Excitebike released and then released lazy trash after that. Sega's stuff is awesome, though.

Unrelated but I thought someone here said I could use a Game Boy link cable to link a Super Game Boy 2 to my Game Boy Player on the Gamecube but it didn't work. Which cable do I need? The GB Pocket link cable?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Unrelated but I thought someone here said I could use a Game Boy link cable to link a Super Game Boy 2 to my Game Boy Player on the Gamecube but it didn't work. Which cable do I need? The GB Pocket link cable?

Yeah, you need a Pocket or Color link cable, or two of the adapters (product code MGB-004) and the original link cable. And obviously this only works for games that play on an original Game Boy since the SGB2 is involved.

The Wikipedia article is actually really helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Link_Cable

EDIT: I had a little trouble with Faceball 2000 at first but I unplugged the link cable and plugged it back in after both systems were already on and that did the trick.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 30, 2015

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Wamdoodle posted:

Looks great! Actually I want to bring this up since you reminded me.

I did the same mod a while back and it came up fine and dandy. It was ok for a while. I put the GBA away for a bit and when I turned it on recently, I was greeted with this:

Any ideas what could be wrong? It wasn't stored improperly because I take spergtastic grade levels of care of my retro stuff. I didn't mess with the voltage when I did the mod. I do remember pinching the wire extra wire you have to solder down but I didn't see any damage at the time. I haven't opened it back up since then. The only thing I can think of is the screen might have been compressed? :confused:

Try loving with the pot under the right side of the back. There's a little hole for a tiny screwdriver or you can take the back plate off. Adjust slowly, maybe an 1/8th of a turn and test.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
drat you, Caitlin! Because of you I started following Windy Gaming, and because of that I just bought a Fix It Felix Jr. repro! (Oh my god I'm excited.) And I'll get to play it on the Genesis I've got shipping from Kazvall! :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

(I also bought Top Gun and Rush 'n Attack, because I lost both of those in a fire when I was a kid and nostalgia rules all.)

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Caitlin posted:

Here you go, have a better picture of Tarman. He's so enthusiastic!

Yessssssss :spooky:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The Sega 3D classics on the 3DS are amazing. Ironically, Nintendo's releases are awful and lazy. Excitebike 3-d was great, but I could swear Kid Icarus 3d and Kirby's Adventure 3D are just being emulated it seems so lazy. Barely any 3D effect, 4:3, all sorts of stupid stuff. They tricked me with their Excitebike released and then released lazy trash after that. Sega's stuff is awesome, though.

Kid Icarus definitely isn't being emulated - they fixed the controls, they added new backgrounds to all the stages, they mixed content from the FDS and NES versions, etc.

Arika put a decent amount of effort into all the conversions, they just picked unexciting games to convert. Nintendo said they stopped doing them because they required more effort than anticipated and because the first batch didn't sell that well, but really, why did they think it was a good idea to waste their time on garbage like Urban Champion?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kid Icarus definitely isn't being emulated - they fixed the controls, they added new backgrounds to all the stages, they mixed content from the FDS and NES versions, etc.

Arika put a decent amount of effort into all the conversions, they just picked unexciting games to convert. Nintendo said they stopped doing them because they required more effort than anticipated and because the first batch didn't sell that well, but really, why did they think it was a good idea to waste their time on garbage like Urban Champion?

When they said Punch Out was going to be one of the first games I was excited. Years later now I still lack 3D Punch Out.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Square-Enix needs to get on the ball and make 3D Classics Rad Racer 1&2.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Silhouette posted:

I have been saying for years that someone needs to make a modern Rad Racer. It is still the one racing game I judge all others by.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kid Fenris posted:

Edit: You know, Tail Concerto and Solatorobo are a lot like Mega Man Legends in theit cutesy auras. Their gameplay is much simpler, though. You can finish Solatorobo easily without ever dying.

Is Solatorobo any good? I still see the odd stray copy on shelves for cheap

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Even as a Galaxy Force 2 Genesis/Saturn/Ages lover I have to say the 3DS 3D take on Galaxy Force 2 is the definitive version of the game. I know 3D tvs/console sopport tends to be gimmicky as hell but I would love to see these on the PS4 with 3D. Galaxy Force 2 in 3D on a big screen would be pure :aaaaa: on par with the first time I played Blaster.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 30, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Check it, there was a Kung Fu 2 in the works back then:

http://arcadeheroes.com/2015/04/28/kung-fu-master-2-prototype-discovered/

Hahaha, it was canned for Vigilante because they wanted a more Americanized game.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 30, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That was the right thing to do at that time in theory, but I can't say I like Vigilante all that much.

:laffo: Check out that footage they somehow got it looking EVEN MORE like Game of Death.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 30, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silhouette posted:

If they did it (and it really isn't a half bad idea), I'd hope they'd license "Highway Star" to play over the game.

(Look up the Japanese title if you don't get it.)

Neo Rasa posted:

That was the right thing to do at that time in theory, but I can't say I like Vigilante all that much.

I always mix up Vigilante (which is terrible and should be forgotten) with Renegade (which is terrible, but it's very significant due to all the things it directly led to).

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Caitlin posted:

The supporting cast and the epilogue are neat, but the rest of the game is mediocre: the story drags, the battle system's too simplified, everything looks stiff and empty, and the three leads are all kinda dull (though I'll admit that Chris is a pleasant change from the usual RPG heroine). Suikoden really didn't take well to 3-D design.

I found Suikoden V to be the best of the series after the first two, and even that one needs forever to get moving and hides its best ending behind some really lame decisions.

quote:

Sunlight? Blemishing the gentle skin of old video games? Horrors!

What's at the end of the shelf with Mr. Saturn? It looks like a Battletech mech and a Robotech/Macross Valkyrie.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is Solatorobo any good? I still see the odd stray copy on shelves for cheap

It's charming and colorful and really well-crafted, but it never lets go of your hand. If you're OK with a game never challenging you at all, give it a shot.

And it's turning into a collectible among DS games. People are paying thirty bucks for loose copies on eBay, but GameStop still sells it for about ten.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Been playing a lot of Ace Combat lately... 2, 3, 4 and 5. Why didn't any of the games after 2 have a rad soundtrack? poo poo was fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpOscfpOXss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElfIpY6xvB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQScHiG5Co4

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kid Fenris posted:

It's charming and colorful and really well-crafted, but it never lets go of your hand. If you're OK with a game never challenging you at all, give it a shot.

And it's turning into a collectible among DS games. People are paying thirty bucks for loose copies on eBay, but GameStop still sells it for about ten.

Really? I've seen it listed on a bunch of EU/UK sites for next to nothing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Really? I've seen it listed on a bunch of EU/UK sites for next to nothing.

Its biggest carrier in the US was GameStop where it sold poorly. This made them remove the new SKU very quickly meaning all copies became "used" copies with their packaging discarded much sooner than would normally happen, so the US version complete actually is a little uncommon.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I really need to find a nice tall shelf like Caitlin's. All my games are shoved in boxes because I got poo poo furniture.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

I really need to find a nice tall shelf like Caitlin's. All my games are shoved in boxes because I got poo poo furniture.

There are large online communities of people who are obsessed with Ikea furniture you may want to consider learning more about. Ikea is like way too expensive now, but the quality of their stuff has stayed the same and many of their better priced shelves are of course long discontinued. But anyways check Craig's List/etc. for Ikea shelves and you can get some amazing stuff. They used to have this one type, uh, Flarke? Same thing but like $20 each, so good. They have one now called Benno that's amazing for CDs. Anyways if space/time permits building your own stuff is rewarding but if that's not an option discontinued/second hand Ikea shelves are ambrosia.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caitlin posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the brown robot guarding your games there? Looks like a Robotech/Machross Valkyrie.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Personally I'm losing my poo poo at the Dhalsim Hello Kitty. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

^^ Won from a crane machine :3:

Kid Fenris posted:

The supporting cast and the epilogue are neat, but the rest of the game is mediocre: the story drags, the battle system's too simplified, everything looks stiff and empty, and the three leads are all kinda dull (though I'll admit that Chris is a pleasant change from the usual RPG heroine). Suikoden really didn't take well to 3-D design.

I found Suikoden V to be the best of the series after the first two, and even that one needs forever to get moving and hides its best ending behind some really lame decisions.

Sunlight? Blemishing the gentle skin of old video games? Horrors!

What's at the end of the shelf with Mr. Saturn? It looks like a Battletech mech and a Robotech/Macross Valkyrie.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the brown robot guarding your games there? Looks like a Robotech/Machross Valkyrie.

I'm not saying it's the greatest game ever, but I really enjoyed it and having multiple perspectives for the story at the time was extremely unique. It's not necessarily that I fell in love with any one thing, but overall I found it to be a pleasant experience.

Also, usually the blinds are shut tight because I'm a hermit anyway, but it photographs much better in sunlight, you know? :sax:

So the short one is a Robotech x EXO Squad mech I picked up sometime when K*B Toys was still a thing and the tall one is exactly what you think it is. I have a little plastic framed picture Minmei in a bathing suit too that came with a vinyl figure (long since destroyed by my dad's dog I think) of - of all characters - Misa Hayase :psyduck: I also-also have a Mechwarrior/Battletech tattoo though, so Battletech wasn't a far off guess (and frankly Battltech kinda borrowed some of that design, yanno)

• Locked thread