Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

chitoryu12 posted:

Has there been any trouble with the National Guard presence? I remember that in Ferguson they were far more professional and less threatening than the police, partially because they were mostly restricted to defending a handful of important government and police areas far from the protests.

I'd imagine they don't even want to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ima Grip And Sip
Oct 19, 2014

:sherman:

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/deray/status/593515767276023808

Video of a rough arrest from last night in Baltimore. The cop's knee is on the guy's back, and he's claiming to have trouble breathing. The people filming are making their presence abundantly clear and are politely asking the cops to let up and let the guy breathe.

This may come as a shock, but someone who can fill their lungs with that much air to yell that loudly and repeatedly can in fact breathe. That's why the cops probably don't give a gently caress... The video proves the man is breathing just fine, and probably making it worse by his own actions.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

This may come as a shock, but someone who can fill their lungs with that much air to yell that loudly and repeatedly can in fact breathe. That's why the cops probably don't give a gently caress... The video proves the man is breathing just fine, and probably making it worse by his own actions.

He should of waited till his lungs were out of air before telling them that he couldn't breathe :eng101:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

yes no black man in police custody has ever been able to utter "i can't breathe" in a dangerous situation before

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Solvency posted:

This doesn't get said enough in D&D threads, but I wanted to thank most of you here for changing my thinking on the cause of riots, and what exactly can be inferred from them. I hadn't even considered the Boston Tea Party as a riot before, and hadn't really pieced together that riots are just a symptom of larger issues that plague communities, and not only people looking to get free stuff, or anarchists looking to cause trouble.

Not everyone reading and responding to these threads are trolls, some actually come to D&D because you all can articulate points better than the vast majority of the internet.

That said, I wish there would be less ad hominem attacks on each other. Why can't you all realize you are part of an elite community of people who can afford to pay :10bux: for an internet forum. Seriously, there has to be some better outlet for your anger than calling each other racists, cop sympathizers, leftists, riot lovers or whatever. If you would just appeal to the mods for help, I'm sure they would be benevolent and work with this community to remove those who are causing trouble. Don't you all realize your back and forth quips make the Debate and Discussion sub-forum look like a bunch of children?

Making an actual argument requires you to think, which the vast majority of posters here are unwilling to do. It's sad really.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

When you find yourself unable to draw enough breath, and the oxygen saturation in your blood begins to lower, and you start to feel light-headed as your respiratory system is unable to keep up, make sure to say that whole loving sentence as a phrase so that pedantic fucks don't misinterpret your cries for help.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

This is one of those "common sense" things that is not true http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/09/1350510/-The-Pernicious-Myth-Of-If-You-Can-Speak-You-Can-Breathe

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Same thing happened in England after the riots.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
BART cops beating a woman: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Video-shows-BART-officer-slamming-down-6229625.php

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

Eric Garner says what?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
The Wire's David Simon on Freddie Gray and the BPD

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

It doesn't come as a shock at all. I had a feeling someone was going to question his pulmonary status right off the bat even though the Garner case proved that you can in fact yell "I can't breathe" while you're dying.

Honestly I was more disturbed by the cop kicking the guy for no reason after he was restrained despite knowing full well he was being recorded by civilians. He's sending a clear message that he feels he's untouchable, video evidence be damned. Just a giant "gently caress this guy and gently caress you. Go ahead and record me kicking a handcuffed guy in the back, see if I give a gently caress. Nothing will happen to me."

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

Cops have a history of caring about the welfare of black people, and will only take extraordinary measures to detain them when they are sure it will not cause them actual harm.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This is a white woman, though so something will happen? :shobon:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

MaxxBot posted:

And today that fucker is out there smiling and helping clean up like this mess isn't fundamentally related to the lovely policing tactics he loves so much, and people describe this guy as a "progressive."

That's right: if you have any bad opinions, you aren't allowed to describe yourself as a person with some good opinions!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Astute medical examiner not racist advocate said big black man was lying when he died of not breathing.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

The guy shoved into a hummer on TV last night has been identified as a 21 year old student.
According to his lawyer, he was trying to keep things non-violent and had his hands up while confronted by police.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

chitoryu12 posted:

Has there been any trouble with the National Guard presence? I remember that in Ferguson they were far more professional and less threatening than the police, partially because they were mostly restricted to defending a handful of important government and police areas far from the protests.

Watching the Ferguson livestreams, I don't even think all the Nat.Guard troops were even armed. Mostly it looked like they were standing around chatting and drinking bottled water.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Quorum posted:

That's right: if you have any bad opinions, you aren't allowed to describe yourself as a person with some good opinions!

No one would describe for example a Democrat who opposed gay marriage or abortion in 2016 as a progressive, and that's one issue as well. IMO having a policing policy that amounts to basically locking up any suspicious looking blacks without probable cause is worse and even less "progressive" than opposing gay marriage and I'm saying this as a gay person. Basically I'm just mad that Democrats rarely weigh criminal justice as a serious issue or as a litmus test like they do for many other issues. Supporting these sort of policing policies these days is totally unacceptable, if even Hillary Clinton is willing to speak out about this stuff when much of it was pushed by her own husband I think any Democrat running for president in 2016 should be expected to do the same.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 30, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

blunt for century posted:

Watching the Ferguson livestreams, I don't even think all the Nat.Guard troops were even armed. Mostly it looked like they were standing around chatting and drinking bottled water.

I believe all of them were armed, but it was similar to the National Guard guys you see in New York City at places like the Port Authority Bust Terminal or Penn Station. They only have a handgun and three or four spare magazines, which they keep holstered when they're not preparing to use it. Generally the National Guard guys in NYC spend most of their time chatting and giving directions to tourists, though they get antsy if you stare at them too much.

Likewise, the ones in Ferguson were only armed with handguns at the most and kept them holstered. Because they knew they didn't need guns.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

chitoryu12 posted:

I believe all of them were armed, but it was similar to the National Guard guys you see in New York City at places like the Port Authority Bust Terminal or Penn Station. They only have a handgun and three or four spare magazines, which they keep holstered when they're not preparing to use it. Generally the National Guard guys in NYC spend most of their time chatting and giving directions to tourists, though they get antsy if you stare at them too much.

Likewise, the ones in Ferguson were only armed with handguns at the most and kept them holstered. Because they knew they didn't need guns.

That was it. Holstered handguns. Much easier to forget seeing when both of their hands are free. The cops, however... :v:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

TwoQuestions posted:

How is disrupting that traffic going to endear otherwise uninvolved people to their plight? I fear all anything will do is justify more violent oppression.

Well, violent riots of 1968 led to the glory years of racial equality in America that were the 70s and 80s so there's that. Remember how great it was to have a presidential candidate pick a vice president on his ability to be racist as possible?

Wanting this stupid violent revolt is accelerationism; great if you're well off enough that it won't hurt your neighborhood because you're in some far-flung white 'burb or gentrified neighborhood. That's even assuming the people had enough power to impose their will and they pretty clearly don't. They didn't in '68 either; Baltimore was only controlled by the people for a few days before they were subdued.

Last but not least, west Baltimore is hurting, not just from the violence against the community and the normalized civil rights violations but because the opportunities to do something are few and far between other than sell drugs to the county people that come in. Destroying neighborhoods has real impact on people that were dealing with the same things that everyone else in that neighborhood were.

But, again, I'm just going on what has already happened in Baltimore time and time again. Maybe this will be different because people on the internet are cheering on the rioters! Go team go! *sits on expensive computer at a desk with a chair in a stable residential environment*

snyprmag posted:

The guy shoved into a hummer on TV last night has been identified as a 21 year old student.
According to his lawyer, he was trying to keep things non-violent and had his hands up while confronted by police.

He was violating the curfew and he was brought through the riot line, but twitter is aflame because he wasn't immediately read his miranda rights because life is literally a law and order episode. Kidnapping is pretty extreme, but I guess the guardian isn't getting the clickbait they once were with Snowden?

hallebarrysoetoro fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 30, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You really put those rioters in their place with that post good job. They almost put on airs.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Rioting and random acts of violence is what the police service is designed to diminish, so their incompetence and secrecy causing rioting and violence is a pretty decent way of dissent against them specifically. I'm surprised how many people are struggling to comprehend why the random innocent businesses burned down, when the simple solution is "because it shows that the police are really the powerless ones."

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

Hahaha, you're so dumb.

You can actually hear the bones/teeth break when her face smacks straight is guided into the ground. :barf: I also like how they kept her cuff after the face slam. Brave officers indeed.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 30, 2015

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Stereotype posted:

when the simple solution is "because it shows that the police are really the powerless ones."

Cool, they sure showed those cops destroying a few liquor and shoe stores in a 2 block area in a city of nearly 80 square miles. Mission accomplished!

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Stereotype posted:

Rioting and random acts of violence is what the police service is designed to diminish, so their incompetence and secrecy causing rioting and violence is a pretty decent way of dissent against them specifically. I'm surprised how many people are struggling to comprehend why the random innocent businesses burned down, when the simple solution is "because it shows that the police are really the powerless ones."

I am surprised how many people think there was thought and reasoning behind a riot.

I am sure the guy with the stolen liquor bottle, stolen bag, trying to steal a purse from a woman was thinking oh man, this is soooo going to show everyone how powerless the police are.

Foma fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 30, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Foma posted:

I am surprised how many people think there was thought and reasoning behind a riot.

They know there's not. It's just a concern troll.

"I wish something could be done to help the community, but now that they've rioted, America and the police will come down on them twice as hard and twice as racist. It's sad, but the racism is their own fault now" he wrote with barely concealed glee.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/29/baltimore-justice-system-protests-curfew

Uh, this is kind of hosed up.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Everblight posted:

This is a white woman, though so something will happen? :shobon:

Saw this on facebook when this girl was linking the video of the girl getting tossed :negative:

quote:

AND THE RIOTS FOR WHITE WOMEN GETTING BEATEN BY POLICE...don't exist.

Also that cop threw that loving girl so hard. You could just hear the sound of her face hitting the ground. Even the other cops looked a bit spooked and looked surprise.

Girl was being a bitch, yes, but doesn't mean you gently caress up her life like that. Super sad.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Gotta keep the revolving prison industry stocked up by getting them started early.

Enigma89 posted:

Saw this on facebook when this girl was linking the video of the girl getting tossed :negative:

Also that cop threw that loving girl so hard. You could just hear the sound of her face hitting the ground. Even the other cops looked a bit spooked and looked surprise.

Girl was being a bitch, yes, but doesn't mean you gently caress up her life like that. Super sad.

You'll be surprised at how many people think the "bitch" had it coming for being uncooperative or some bs about being a danger to those cops.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

They released 101 people today and likely more to follow

Guardian is just grandstanding, the legal defense presence in Baltimore is pretty incredible right now.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
That girl should be happy, the penalty for disrespecting a police officer after being arrested for "suspicion of resisting arrest" is death.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

Will this stupid piece of poo poo human being ever admit their mistake? Spoilers- not a chance!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
5 minutes until curfew.

http://livestream.com/timcast/events/4006239

The livestream doesn't seem too bad right now.

Edit: Tim Poole is still poo poo, his stream is choppy and now died just minutes before curfew.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Speaking of not admitting mistakes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...218e_story.html

quote:

A prisoner sharing a police transport van with Freddie Gray told investigators that he could hear Gray “banging against the walls” of the vehicle and believed that he “was intentionally trying to injure himself,” according to a police document obtained by The Washington Post.

The prisoner, who is currently in jail, was separated from Gray by a metal partition and could not see him. His statement is contained in an application for a search warrant, which is sealed by the court. The Post was given the document under the condition that the prisoner not be named because the person who provided it feared for the inmate’s safety.

The document, written by a Baltimore police investigator, offers the first glimpse of what might have happened inside the van. It is not clear whether any additional evidence backs up the prisoner’s version, which is just one piece of a much larger probe.

“We disagree with any implication that Freddie Gray severed his own spinal cord,” Downs said. “We question the accuracy of the police reports we’ve seen thus far, including the police report that says Mr. Gray was arrested without force or incident.”

There's more, but not much as far as detail, at the link.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Von Sloneker posted:

Speaking of not admitting mistakes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...218e_story.html

There's more, but not much as far as detail, at the link.

So he used his black superhuman strength to nearly sever his own spinal cord? How on earth do they expect anyone to buy that? Especially since in the arrest video, he seems to have a broken leg and already be in terrible shape and weak.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008
I think they should show how unjust the curfew is by rioting again

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

5 minutes until curfew.

http://livestream.com/timcast/events/4006239

The livestream doesn't seem too bad right now.

Edit: Tim Poole is still poo poo, his stream is choppy and now died just minutes before curfew.

Hang on. If my memory is right, Tim was the mooching Vice reporter from Ferguson? He's back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

They released 101 people today and likely more to follow

Guardian is just grandstanding, the legal defense presence in Baltimore is pretty incredible right now.

drat! Given the brazenness of the cops it's courageous of the OPD to do their jobs!

I just hope they don't start having 'accidents'.

• Locked thread