Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm a graphics guy. That's my use case. Others might indeed use it for weird network boot setups or full-disk encryption schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Yeah, I was trolling a bit. I'm still not terribly convinced IPC is really needed before a stage when you can run something that should be as simple as dbus.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
launch pulseaudio and start playing the star wars intro theme right after grub

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i already did that without pulseaudio

and it breaks the volume slider on the login screen because i leave the hw fd open lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
whatever happened to plain jane /dev/audio ?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Do you mean the proprietary Sun audio interface, or the lovely proprietary OSS reimplementation of it? OSS's primary interface is in /dev/dsp, and ALSA's is in /dev/pcm/pcmC0D0p.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pcmP00p

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

i already did that without pulseaudio

and it breaks the volume slider on the login screen because i leave the hw fd open lol
niiice

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
bonus points if you guess what "nmcb" stands for

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
when i click on a usb stick from the xfce taskbar file opener doodad, it tries to open teh usb stick in gedit :dogbutton:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bobbilljim posted:

when i click on a usb stick from the xfce taskbar file opener doodad, it tries to open teh usb stick in gedit :dogbutton:

you need more hand-holding?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i cant get pulse audo to remeber where the sliders are. rip

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

also the fact that the main justifications behind kdbus being included are bullshit, esp with regards to performance. see

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1939166
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1939022

systemd is good and the "greybeards" opposing it do need to gently caress off, but the linux userland crew is seriously amateur-hour compared to the kernel developers a lot of the time and it's good to see them being called out on it

wow, that was some funny poo poo.

give me mig any day.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

you need more hand-holding?

no, see usually when you click on the flash drive it opens up in the file browser (which it is doing again now)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bobbilljim posted:

no, see usually when you click on the flash drive it opens up in the file browser (which it is doing again now)

seems like more dumbing down of Linux; work with the raw device file and get closer to the metal

kgedit!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

alright but lets make it launch vi so I can do some real work :cool:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

dbus status: still poo poo

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

in other news I just stopped pavucontrol from consuming 2 full cores worth of cycles by running it under strace

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Zombywuf posted:

dbus status: still poo poo

I had some bs with a system the other day, after an update it started running out of processes for no reason. Tracked it down to dbus, don't know exactly what the issue is but it is spawning zombie processes, which eventually hits the proc limit for the machine. I have papered over it for the time being by increasing the number of processes. I'm hopeful that a future system update will fix the forking issue. Or maybe it's something else but I can't be bothered to investigate further

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

dbus is literally a daemon for spooky action at a distance

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

bobbilljim posted:

Maybe you should just manually mount your external drives and this wouldn't happen - and as an added bonus, you would actually know what's going on as far as where it's mounted specifically on your file system tree.

I mean seriously, you even get to specify the dir it's mounted in and it's one command. Then you can just cd to the dir and ls/launch your file browser from shell (depending on preference), or if you really are just too awesome for a command line, after mounting it you could just open a file browser and navigate to the dir you mounted it in.

The method where you stay in the command line is probably the fastest, though.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it probably just makes the reasonable assumption that your text editor is set to emacs, in which case preferring it to open directories would be the correct behavior

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

nosl posted:

Maybe you should just manually mount your external drives and this wouldn't happen - and as an added bonus, you would actually know what's going on as far as where it's mounted specifically on your file system tree.

I mean seriously, you even get to specify the dir it's mounted in and it's one command. Then you can just cd to the dir and ls/launch your file browser from shell (depending on preference), or if you really are just too awesome for a command line, after mounting it you could just open a file browser and navigate to the dir you mounted it in.

I wish someone had mounted your account read only.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I wish someone had mounted your account read only.

We can't all have it easy

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

nosl posted:

thanks for caring!!
the os mounts it for me though quicker than typing it out

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

nosl posted:

2015 year of linux on the desktop

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

nosl posted:

or poo poo could not be dumb and broken and just work as it's supposed to and what can be reasonably expected

but you know

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

and gently caress figuring out which device you want when you plug in a USB key

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I still do most work from the command line because it's faster.

Mounting a thumb drive is not one of those things.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Truga posted:

I still do most work from the command line because it's faster.

Mounting a thumb drive is not one of those things.

agreed, though i routinely do a copy - sync - umount from the cl

i dont do the mount because... it gets done for me, like you would expect

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

and gently caress figuring out which device you want when you plug in a USB key

jesus christ

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

I really hope you're irony posting and not being seriously obtuse.

2015 still the year for desktop users to run blkid and edit fstab.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought he was pointing out that it was really bad.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Subjunctive posted:

I thought he was pointing out that it was really bad.

you genuinely cannot tell with linux

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my car plays mp3s on a usb drive in directory order, not lexicographical order, so i always copy stuff to it with rsync since it sorts file and directory lists before copying to make sure e.g. track 2 comes after track 1

cp and most gui copy things copy in directory order

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol what a piece of poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the car radio we used to use for camping music couldnt dial above 99, but you could still play the songs by hitting next or shuffling to them.

a lot of times it would be quicker to jump around with shuffle on and listen for an artist that sorts close to the one you want

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my car has a 2-digit LCD display for the folder number and 3 digits for the track

i copy whole albums so i have never had more than ~30 tracks in a single folder, but i have about 160 folders

everything works correctly above 100, it just doesnt display any leading digits that dont fit

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

is it 2003 again?? did it work?!? my god. i've done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
now you can prevent yourself from registering on the sa forums :grin: