Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
The crime scenes are awful. First Batman says he can't do DNA analysis on blood, then he IMMEDIATELY identifies the blood on the counter as belonging to the girl. I mean, immediately!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Neige posted:

The game are is awful.

FTFY

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Neige posted:

The crime scenes are awful. First Batman says he can't do DNA analysis on blood, then he IMMEDIATELY identifies the blood on the counter as belonging to the girl. I mean, immediately!

I'm guessing the idea is that he can match DNA but he can't figure out who the DNA originally came from without doing so? So he can't figure out if it's Roman Sionis because he doesn't have a DNA sample from someone he knows is Roman Sionis and he can't identify whether or not the body is actually Black Mask, but he can identify the woman and then match the DNA from the blood with her DNA?

He can say "these two sources of DNA are identical" but can't say "this source of DNA belongs to X" in other words.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Bigger problem, how did he know Roman Sionis's girlfriend has priors without access to the police servers?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kurieg posted:

He was somehow able to identify a man by his fingerprints without actually being able to see his fingerprints and was able to determine the GSR spray pattern from a brief visual inspection but for some reason his magical bullshit-o-vision can't do DNA yet.

At least it can't until the writer's forget that they decided it can't. Also they forget what DNA is.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Notice how it becomes really silent once scruffy takes down the non-armored thugs? That's because they completely forgot to give armored Penguin thugs voices.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Yes, some people actually talk like Tracey, used to raid with someone who talked like that.
But let's just say that looking at Tracey, she's 20-30 years too young to be talking like that :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's the thing about England, we have two accents and one city.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Neige posted:

Detective vision bs does instant dna analysis apparently but he had nothing to compare that analysis against.

Bats probably could have gone into the bathroom and compared the hairs on the brush to the body's dna but Bruce probably just wanted an excuse to go and steal the whole criminal database (and punch cops).

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Regarding No Money Down: the Kujiki bombs apparently make you invisible and silent while the haze lasts, so you can topspeed run like Catwoman and even run in front of a guy. Wouldn't that be nice if they actually told you what the hell it did.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ninja Bruce Wayne needs a gadget to become invisible and silent? :psyduck:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ninjas do need gadgets for that, yes.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

scruffy if you're that far ahead please tell me in the next story mission you ignored the games pleas to run away from all the men with guns and proceeded to "sneak past" and then "flee" from rooms full of unconscious enemies.

Well, I met you halfway. There was "sneaking" and fleeing.

Technowolf posted:

Notice how it becomes really silent once scruffy takes down the non-armored thugs? That's because they completely forgot to give armored Penguin thugs voices.

It's a bit worse than that, there's not even any PA chatter to tell the thugs someone has been taken down. Bruce Wayne is no particularly well implemented.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 30, 2015

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Waltzing Along posted:

Abloo abloo, it's too much like Arkham City. So? Didn't you like AC? So why complain?

Why would I want to pay a full $60 for a game I already own? I don't think anyone is complaining about the engine being the same. It's the sidequests, a boss or two, and some plot points being identical that rubbed me (and likely others) the wrong way. I liked the last episode of The Flash tv show. If the next episode was the exact same episode played again and they pretended it was new, I'd be perturbed. Let's look at the recent update for example. Sure, timed runs around the city shouldn't be exclusive to Arkham City, so I have to forgive Origins for that, but I can't help but feel like this is a lazy copy/paste job of Zsasz's sidequest. Talk to guy/phone, timed run across the city, diffuse bomb/answer phone. Press X/A, run, press X/A again. Don't even get me started on how let down I was once I heard The Joker. I knew The Joker wasn't just going to be a sidequest or part of the story, he was going to hijack the entire plot and I felt like the entire point of the prequel was just to get around City's ending. Lame. More on that after next video.

To be positive, I absolutely loved the crime scenes. They could be a little "Go into detective mode and just try to scan everything" and the logic could definitely be picked apart, but they were a nice gameplay shift. Definitely something that was made better in Origins than it was in Asylum or City.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So what? If you enjoyed playing the game, then the story should be enough to sell another iteration. It doesn't have to be a new game and a new story. This jacks up development time and costs and in this day with constant poo poo "AAA" games, it would be refreshing to see them take something that works and just run with it. We already know Joker is in this one, but his story is my favorite thing in all three games. That alone made me like this one the most.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Kaul-Brau is a Lexcorp subsidiary. Every single company in AO is some sort of expanded DC universe reference.

dscruffy1 posted:

It's a bit worse than that, there's not even any PA chatter to tell the thugs someone has been taken down. Bruce Wayne is no particularly well implemented.

Probably, they couldn't get the voice actors back in the studio- also, the thug commentary would be weird. "Is that...Bruce Wayne? Why is he dressed like a ninja hobo?"

I can't remember- is it not possible to pull armored goons off of edges with the grappling hook?

Video 6 Notes

Crime Scenes In principle, investigations are cool. In practice, all of the cases follow the same pattern- look at body, look at a location, find an object (that you'd probably already noticed) in the environment, which sends you to collar the perp. The writing and scenarios are somewhat inventive, and there are a couple twists on the formula later on, but they get old fast.

Screens You'll see this a bit throughout the game-Penguin also did it last video. The devs record a cutscene-quality looped gif of a character, and apply it to a screen ingame. I don't know why. they felt the need to do this, beyond trying to save on in-engine animation time and money.

Anarky I'll have more to say about Anarky's side missions later when they're all done, but for right now I'll say that Matthew Mercer delivers a fantastic performance as someone who can rapidly vacillate between sounding credible, rational and inspirational, and psychotic. It's difficult to make someone seem 1. Reasonably persuasive and appealing, and simultaneously 2. insane, but the writing and acting of Anarky do a great job with it. Anarky has a radio station ingame with continuous broadcasts. I listen to it just for the excellent quality of the voice acting, and it inspired me to teach and use Plain Words, an infamous anarchist manifesto that Anarky reads on air, in my own classes. (Also, Anarky is DnD as all hell.)

Mechanically, the Anarky sidequests are a variation on the Zasz sidequest, with combat at the end as a variation. I don't mind the combat at all, but one unfortunate side effect of the timer is that you rarely get the chance to hear the incidental dialogue that each set of Anarky thugs has to say. They're also really well-written, reflecting the followers and doubters coming to grips with the fact that they're about to kill a tremendous number of people- and highlighting the fact that Anarky is planning to detonate the bombs with his followers still onsite, without their knowledge.

Oh, the Anarchist thugs. They're really cool-looking, but unfortunately, they only appear in his sidequestand in one other location, before his sidequest is finished. They have no special features aside from, again, some really interesting voicework. Narratively, these are desperate, disillusioned people-Gotham's poorest- following a leader who is promising them revolutionary change. They're by far the most sympathetic of the enemies in the whole series. The lines they have recorded for when there's only one left are especially nice.

Lacey Towers This is by far the most sophisticated and complete crime scene in the game, and I think the only one that's a part of the main plot. All others are either sidequests, the tutorial or an afterthought. I really like the buildup and writing of this one, even if the Joker denouement is annoying in some ways (the achievement, though, is fantastic. Right when batman asks, "Who is the Joker?"...

Nobody that matters

That's some grade-A system-use mindfuckery, a welcome return of the abuse of achievement notifications in AC. The other nice system abuse is the intermittent appearance of the Penguin in the crime recreation as the suspect, until he's cleared, and the generally animated, but otherwise anonymous figures. It adds a great creepy element to the glitchy interface of the whole thing. On the downside, this sort of system subversion only appears once, briefly, in the entire rest of the crime scenes in the game.

Note that they skipped an analysis step- you jump from analyzing the victim's body to the chair grooves, which I'm guessing they removed from the list of things to scan because the scene was already pretty long. Same with the gunpowder residue analysis and a couple others.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 30, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh, before I forget it!

Waltzing Along posted:

E: Also, are you trying to get this done in the next seven weeks or so? To finish before the new game? And would that mean you are going to blind LP Knight?

I'm not planning on it at the moment, I'd like to have a good feel for Arkham Knight before I LP it. How else am I going to show off any neato easter eggs or new mechanics?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The thing with the Kujiki Bombs is one of my big problems with DLC characters in general. Like, in City, you could see all of Batman and Catwoman's moves in the main game and learn how to use their gadgets (even if caltrops sucked). Then you go try to play Nightwing or Robin and it's like "What the hell is a Snap-Flash/Electrical Blast? How do these Escrima Sticks work?" and there's no explanation because if you hit start you just get the game reminding you of the stage challenges.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, the Anarchist thugs. They're really cool-looking, but unfortunately, they only appear in his sidequest.

If I'm not mistaken, I think they appear around Anarky's hideout for a while until you take out Anarky himself.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In the final cutscene with Alfred, it looks like Batman has smoke coming out of his neck.

It's supposed to be his breath, but it's definitely not coming out of his mouth.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Batbot is on the fritz again. Better call Lucius Fox.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the final cutscene with Alfred, it looks like Batman has smoke coming out of his neck.

It's supposed to be his breath, but it's definitely not coming out of his mouth.

So he doesn't even heat the cave he makes Alfred stay in for radio support? What a dick.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SirDan3k posted:

So he doesn't even heat the cave he makes Alfred stay in for radio support? What a dick.

He really is a dick in this one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, I think they appear around Anarky's hideout for a while until you take out Anarky himself.

You're right! My bad.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Enjoying the LP. I'm confused by this crime scene, though. Are there three people, or four? The way I see it, either someone killed Black Mask's girlfriend, and then Black Mask, and then sat at his desk and was killed by the guy who snuck in from the window who's totally not the Joker, or Black Mask killed his girlfriend, and then not-Joker killed him while he was moping at his desk? And at some point along the way, she gets hung from the chandelier, and Black Mask shoots her while being dragged away?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Gorilla Salad posted:

Batman unhinges his neck to cool his internal detective processors. I mean, he just put them through a serious workout.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

Alfred's suit is actually prototype WayneTech thermal wear for the fashionable butler. He's actually burning up and keeps begging Bruce to call it a night so they can go upstairs to the manor and he can change out of it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

Enjoying the LP. I'm confused by this crime scene, though. Are there three people, or four? The way I see it, either someone killed Black Mask's girlfriend, and then Black Mask, and then sat at his desk and was killed by the guy who snuck in from the window who's totally not the Joker, or Black Mask killed his girlfriend, and then not-Joker killed him while he was moping at his desk? And at some point along the way, she gets hung from the chandelier, and Black Mask shoots her while being dragged away?

This gets answered-at the moment, confusion is the intended emotion.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Misplaced particle emitter most likely, though I'm wondering how you'd fix that. It's not like they're going to model a trachea and put physics on it, cool as that would be. I can only imagine putting it directly in his mouth would look worse, though maybe if you hosed with the z-sorting so it's always in front it might work.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

SirDan3k posted:

One of the conversations you can have with Alfred that I may have glossed over somewhere along the way talks about the lack of heating. Alfred is as stoic as ever and says he'll just have to soldier on.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Stiff upper lip, what.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alfred used to be MI6, right? I'm sure he's been through worse.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

dscruffy1 posted:

One of the conversations you can have with Alfred that I may have glossed over somewhere along the way talks about the lack of heating. Alfred is as stoic as ever and says he'll just have to soldier on.

You just know Alfred installed a seat heater in the big chair in front of the Bat Computer. While Batman's out, he just hits the secret switch and sits there staying comfortably warm.

But he doesn't tell Bruce about the switch!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't remember- is it not possible to pull armored goons off of edges with the grappling hook?

Bruce has Robin's Zip-Kick, not the grappling hook.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Bruce has Robin's Zip-Kick, not the grappling hook.

Oh, yeah. Man, how did I ever get all his predator medals?

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Was the video of Anarky live-action? Because of the film effects and cutaways, I'm having a hard time telling. If so, I will say that is one thing I like about the game. I don't know why, but I also enjoyed when video games include some minor, live-action component, like in inFamous and Alan Wake.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mr. Highway posted:

Was the video of Anarky live-action? Because of the film effects and cutaways, I'm having a hard time telling. If so, I will say that is one thing I like about the game. I don't know why, but I also enjoyed when video games include some minor, live-action component, like in inFamous and Alan Wake.

No, it's a looped animation using cutscene assets.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 30, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

:negative: I haven't checked the LP subforum in awhile, I've just been following a few bookmarked threads. I can't believe I missed you starting this LP. I'm gonna... I'm gonna catch up on this, and then I'm gonna be the Lone Defender of Origins.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CuwiKhons posted:

:negative: I haven't checked the LP subforum in awhile, I've just been following a few bookmarked threads. I can't believe I missed you starting this LP. I'm gonna... I'm gonna catch up on this, and then I'm gonna be the Lone Defender of Origins.

Too late. I've already been defending it as has the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Good, somebody has to make a stand against Discendo Vox's tyranny.

• Locked thread