Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

sharktamer posted:

So how strong is Natsu anyway? Gildartz seemed pretty evenly matched with Bluenote, but after the timeskip Natsu completely stomps him.

I thought they kind of showed them being even, then Gildartz just annihilated him with some ability. I'm probably wrong though since I didn't even remember him until you mentioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
Well, that was quickly resolved.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

seizure later posted:

Well, that was quickly resolved.

Fairytail.txt

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Lmao

You thought there'd be some sort of plot development? The resolution was even worse than I could have imagined (because of course we get some really loving creepy torture Lucy fanservice too), but still.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Magic... cellphones?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Say Nothing posted:

Magic... cellphones?
I kept looking for a Samsung or Sony label or something so I could determine if Mashima is now the Adam Sandler of manga.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That's a surprising amount of restraint on Lucy's cow outfit.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Oh come on, that doesn't even crack the top ten of weird Fairy Tail torture scenes, and yeah, for Mashima that Tauros outfit is really healthy. Plus, he took back the Sasuke stuff right away. I'm proud of him this time

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mulderman posted:

That's a surprising amount of restraint on Lucy's cow outfit.

Mashima made up for it I guess by literally designing cleavage on Erza's armor.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Avulsion posted:

Turns out they aren't mages, they're just a bunch of deluded cosplayers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chumbler posted:

Mashima made up for it I guess by literally designing cleavage on Erza's armor.

Given that Erza is still being depicted as the strongest member of their little troupe and is at this moment a one-woman army/cavalry, kicking the poo poo out of another actual army from behind I honestly couldn't care less what she's wearing. Besides which, armor with cleavage is pretty restrained for Mashima and a fairly standard part of most fantasy things with women in them that you could find dozens of examples of very easily. Many of them far, far worse than what she's wearing.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
erza is loving terrible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsob posted:

Besides which, armor with cleavage is pretty restrained for Mashima and a fairly standard part of most fantasy things with women in them that you could find dozens of examples of very easily. Many of them far, far worse than what she's wearing.
this is a very dumb point

like getting mad about fanservice in freaking fairy tail is dumb, also, but it being a standard part of fantasy doesnt make it immune to criticism

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not say he can't be criticized for it - I'm saying that while it's silly, at least he's showing far more restraint than many an artist has when doing the same thing. And than he has with most of his characters. Hell, than he has with many of Erza's other outfits. Also that I don't actually care what she's wearing considering what she's doing.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I hope that horse is a part of Erza's magic. She can choose to equip a horse whenever she wants.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just want Gajeel to show up. I'm glad there's no stupid angsty bullshit going on (still a poo poo thing to do to Juvia though) but bringing in the main 4 just means less screentime for the banjo-strumming metal dandy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I just want Gajeel to show up. I'm glad there's no stupid angsty bullshit going on (still a poo poo thing to do to Juvia though) but bringing in the main 4 just means less screentime for the banjo-strumming metal dandy.

"Doing poo poo things to Juvia" seems to be Gray's hobby.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nahxela posted:

I hope that horse is a part of Erza's magic. She can choose to equip a horse whenever she wants.

The horse is her power up during the last year, or whatever meaningless number this time skip has been. Just the horse, nothing else. Maybe a cowboy outfit and a guitar too. She and Gajeel can start a Fairy Tail band. I guess, I really just want an entire chapter of this

starring Fairy Tail characters. Erza, Gajeel, his cat, Laxus and so on.

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 21, 2015

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Hmm..

I'm not convinced Gray is on the up and up just yet. That is, I'd rather believe there's more to things than "He was a spy" instead of "Mashima already forgot that Gray was going to kill Frosch." At the very least I expect some voodoo to force him to throw icicles at people. Possibly Gajeel; after all, they already went to the trouble of making him think he'd have to fight Gray. Bonus points if Erza is also a double secret traitor with Gray. :v:

If this were a different series I'd be concerned for Happy instead, but there's approximately a 0% chance of anything bad happening to him (That won't be taken back later.) This ain't Harry Potter. It's just as well, the whole "death of innocence" thing doesn't really belong here and is its own tired cliche anyway.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zogundar posted:

Hmm..

I'm not convinced Gray is on the up and up just yet. That is, I'd rather believe there's more to things than "He was a spy" instead of "Mashima already forgot that Gray was going to kill Frosch." At the very least I expect some voodoo to force him to throw icicles at people. Possibly Gajeel; after all, they already went to the trouble of making him think he'd have to fight Gray. Bonus points if Erza is also a double secret traitor with Gray. :v:

If this were a different series I'd be concerned for Happy instead, but there's approximately a 0% chance of anything bad happening to him (That won't be taken back later.) This ain't Harry Potter. It's just as well, the whole "death of innocence" thing doesn't really belong here and is its own tired cliche anyway.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Zogundar posted:

Hmm..

Didn't really think about it, but was the future EvilRogue mentioned a Natsu-less one? I remember Natsu being sucked into an abyss during the grand magic games arc but he crawled out or something. Not sure when those events happened. Just wondering if that will be the handwave which saves frosch.

Ninja e: Oh. Now I get the above post. :downs:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Two new chapters today, which is surprising since isn't it golden week? Lucy actually does something! I'm a bit disappointed that her new attack isn't some form of Lucy Kick, though she does have the Lucy Punch now. Also a bit disappointed that Braiya is going to disappear forever like all mooks, since I like her design and power.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

Two new chapters today, which is surprising since isn't it golden week?
Chinese Editions, maybe? I remember that being a thing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

Two new chapters today, which is surprising since isn't it golden week? Lucy actually does something! I'm a bit disappointed that her new attack isn't some form of Lucy Kick, though she does have the Lucy Punch now. Also a bit disappointed that Braiya is going to disappear forever like all mooks, since I like her design and power.

Lucy gets a much-needed power-upgrade, and also manages to keep her clothes on for an entire fight.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Lucy gets a much-needed power-upgrade, and also manages to keep her clothes on for an entire fight.

A fight is over, but the battle isn't. Lucy actually looked cool and did stuff(the stomach's grudge: lucy punch, earth wave) though so even if the clothes do come off it's a net positive. Kind of.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
yeah a much needed power upgrade stopped dead in its tracks by almost making GBS threads herself and thats not in any way hyperbole re: what happened.

what a great character.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
as far as shonen powers go the power of making others poo poo themselves is ridiculously strong

have you even ever seen a shonen toilet???

also Juvia picked up Gray's stripping habit

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Simoom posted:

yeah a much needed power upgrade stopped dead in its tracks by almost making GBS threads herself and thats not in any way hyperbole re: what happened.

what a great character.

Hey sometimes you gotta take what you can get. Also I like her hairstyle in the Taurus outfit.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Thunderbro posted:

I actually quite liked that. I hope Gray starts to adopt some mannerisms of hers. It'd be fun to see him become as lovestruck and possessive as Juvia has been over time and them start fighting together more as a couple.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thunderbro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

Two new chapters today, which is surprising since isn't it golden week?

The magazine is releasing next week's issue Friday because of Golden Week, so no new scans until about the 11th.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Thunderbro posted:

have you even ever seen a shonen toilet???

Well there was that really early episode of Naruto where he was afixed to the throne due to drinking expired milk.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Must have been some incredible restraint to not have erza's clothes rotted away in a 27 panel fight.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Let's be honest, Mashima gave that lady clone magic so he could draw some more titties

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Now that I think about it, isn't Braiya only like the second character with darker skin in the entire series?

Also you're probably right about why she has clone magic.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
So Avatar is down to Arlock, Abel, and D6 now. Arlock's "Just as planned!" is obviously an attempt by Mashima to preserve tension, but it doesn't really work.

I wonder why Gray was going to kill Frosch. I don't think Mashima is enough of a hack to forget about something like that completely, but he's definitely enough of a hack to hand-wave it away instead of going anywhere with it.

I'm not thrilled with the revelation a few chapters ago that there were other branches of Avatar; Zeref cultists aren't a very compelling villain concept, and I'm not interested in seeing several more arcs of Avatar.

I do like the running gag of Lucy turning normal kicks and punches into shouted attack names.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 30, 2015

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

I wonder why Gray was going to kill Frosch. I don't think Mashima is enough of a hack to forget about something like that completely, but he's definitely enough of a hack to hand-wave it away instead of going anywhere with it.

Maybe nothing will happen since the timeline has changed? I don't know... time travel can be tricky. I would like to see some more connections with that, though.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
I imagine it will be something like Grey had to kill Frosch to keep the deep cover, since the it was originally Minerva and Rogue(or was it Sting) on the mission. Since Natsu (and Lucy) came and fired him up, Grey had no choice but to show he was good again

Also, Why hasn't Gajeel come in and played his music yet?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
New chapter, where in Natsu one (fire) punches a literal war God with an attack named after Igneel. And Erza isn't even shocked. So the power creep has apparently turned in to a power afterburner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sometimes I think all of Natsu's battle dialogue should just be replaced with instances of no, gently caress off and/or gently caress you.

This is one of those times. Dumb as hell but wonderful visuals.

• Locked thread