Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Having class skills/mods drop as random loot is definitely one of the funnier bad things about Wildstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

They did the same thing with certain world drops, though I don't know if it was intentional to make a key spellslinger dps amp have something like a .0001% chance to drop ever. I saw one in all my time playing, on auction for a ton of money.

Yes I'm still bitter. Meanwhile you'd be buried in the same 4 warrior amps before you hit level 10.

Thats ok, if you had the amp (And I did) when they modified the cooldown reductions for that amp they didn't bother to adjust the timers in the UI. Do you enjoy not knowing if your interupts are off cooldown or not? Me either. We were doing dungeon runs and this is the straw that broke my back.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SarutosZero posted:

Having class skills/mods drop as random loot is definitely one of the funnier bad things about Wildstar.

That said, it was fun farming for Trigger Fingers the day the change happened and extorting idiots who didn't read patch notes.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
why are people posting about "p2w" in a game thats clearly a pve dungeon crawler

mmo pvp? come on, you gotta be kidding me

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

down with slavery posted:

why are people posting about "p2w" in a game thats clearly a pve dungeon crawler

mmo pvp? come on, you gotta be kidding me

mmo pvp is fun

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You know Wildstar reminds me of something in the WoW beta. Originally Chris Metzen (the story guy) wanted Night Elves to have a gender split for classes: Only Male Night Elves could be druids, and only Female Night Elves could be priests, hunters or warriors. Because that's how it was in the story.

But then they decided nah, that's a dumb idea. I'm surprised WildStar didn't take that idea with both hands and run with it. :v:

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Anatharon posted:

You know Wildstar reminds me of something in the WoW beta. Originally Chris Metzen (the story guy) wanted Night Elves to have a gender split for classes: Only Male Night Elves could be druids, and only Female Night Elves could be priests, hunters or warriors. Because that's how it was in the story.

But then they decided nah, that's a dumb idea. I'm surprised WildStar didn't take that idea with both hands and run with it. :v:

i wonder how he feels about dwarf shamans and warlocks, and tauren priests and paladins.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Can anyone who played wildstar say if any of the classes were at all interesting or unique or were they just more of the same wow classes but with a different flavor

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

SarutosZero posted:

Can anyone who played wildstar say if any of the classes were at all interesting or unique or were they just more of the same wow classes but with a different flavor

Esper and spellslinger were both really cool classes different than a traditional caster/magic dps.

Espers used a build up mechanism to ramp up their DPS/crits. Spellslingers were mobile and high bursty dps with guns.

I guess like most classes in MMOs they had cc, escapes, etc but they had some pretty cool new features that were fun.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I didn't pay attention to Wildstar until this thread, but it's been informative because it's answered a nagging question I've had: "What would a game designed by John Waters and Tommy Wiseau look like?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

SirPhoebos posted:

I didn't pay attention to Wildstar until this thread, but it's been informative because it's answered a nagging question I've had: "What would a game designed by John Waters and Tommy Wiseau look like?

There's a Skyrim mod in that vein, because of course there is.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SarutosZero posted:

Medics were neat because their style was all about laying down zones and Deadmau5-style techno laser shows.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The true believers thought Carbine had taken a bold new step in making it so warriors weren't the go-to tanking class, but really their threat generation was utterly broken until about six months after launch.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

SarutosZero posted:

Espers were basically magerogues, and they had a neat mechanic where their long range spells did less damage than their close range spells, so if you were good enough to stay right on a boss's rear end without dying you would do more dps for your effort.

Spellslingers were really more like traditional mages like in wow, except blink would stun people and your main damage dealers were cones, so you were encouraged to get fairly close and learn to dodge.

Warriors were just warriors, lots of suplexing and body slamming and such, but imagine warriors and DKs mixed together and it's a bit closer.

Medics were interesting in that they didn't have a single targeted spell. You had to learn where to put your healing aoes and how to dodge stuff as well as the tank so that you could stick to them and keep them alive. It was the most innovative class they made, and of course pubs didn't like them because they had to learn how to work with a medic to get healed, i.e. find the good aoe to stand in while also dpsing and not running away from the medic if you had low health.

Engineers had an overheating mechanic with a slight twist in that you actually wanted your heat to be high without going over, because you'd gain access to certain abilities and others would do different things. They had pets too, but the pet AI was retarded and also almost angrily stupid. There was one instance where a robot ran all the way to the end of an instance and then brought that entire instance to the group fighting the first boss.

Stalker had different stances, and stealth was a bit different than in most games, although you could just walk around in stealth all day, too. Getting into stealth during combat was a core component of the class, and the stances were so you could either deal more damage, heal yourself for the damage, or just be tankier because they were the other tank.

So basically some of them were unique, but for the most part they weren't that different from other MMO classes.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dominoeffect posted:

i wonder how he feels about dwarf shamans and warlocks, and tauren priests and paladins.

He's probably the one who came up with them and if not he probably doesn't care because he's paid a million billion dollars to voice his self insert orc.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Anatharon posted:

He's probably the one who came up with them and if not he probably doesn't care because he's paid a million billion dollars to voice his self insert orc.

That plus dwarf shaman works anyway. They're known for shooting lightning from their hammers, that's shaman as gently caress. Night elf mages are a much worse idea, since the entire point of night elves is that they loving hate mages because mages nearly blew up the entire world.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't care about p2w because you're a whale does your stupid opinion not matter or does it super matter?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Normal Adult Human posted:

If you don't care about p2w because you're a whale does your stupid opinion not matter or does it super matter?

Both. It's called "Schrodinger's Whale"

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
your opinion does not matter to me, but it matters greatly to mine enemies. for this reason i must destroy you and yours.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

SarutosZero posted:

I played an Esper to 50 using both DPS and heals. It was different than wow classes and fun. I really did love the telegraph system.

In thinking about what MMO I want to play, I really came back to wanting Wildstar, just a more casual friendly game that wasn't riddled with bugs. It really was a fun game.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

All this new crop of MMOs has combat moving towards Wildstar's, which is to say it's about fewer buttons and pseudo-targeting and dodging. Neverwinter is kind of like it, but I think so is Skyforge and maybe Black Desert based on the streams.

Unfortunately they all have their own issues. I think Neverwinter could be pretty fun in small increments, but it's a Perfect World free-to-play game with fairly repetitive content.

Frankly I think I move about as much in WOW raids as I did in Wildstar dungeons.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Saying that they are moving "towards" wildstar is dumb though because this has been happening at the very least since GW2. In reality the rapid consolidation of skill bars has been happening since WoW started cutting back on hybrid talent builds in WoTLK then locking people entirely out of trees and then just consolidating their abilities based on a role preset.

TSO and Neverwinter both had limited skill bars. B&S had a dynamic skillbar that altered based on followups so you never really saw clutter and things moved a whole lot more dynamically. These three came out long before Wildstar. Black Desert is almost entirely action based where most of your abilities come from how long you press the buttons and the directions you press while doing them.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 30, 2015

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Tera and GW2 both had that style of combat before Wildstar came out, and both did it better in my opinion. What would've set Wildstar apart would've been writing, voice acting, and animation on par with what they showed in the teaser videos before the game's launch. It would've been like SWTOR's fantastic cutscenes but zany and slightly less WOW in mechanics. I think it would've done well in that space. Instead they put out poo poo like pregnant women being blown up in spaceships and questlines where your character is unknowingly poisoning a tribe of people.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Original guild wars was the first game I played that used limiting your skill set dramatically to force interesting play choices.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The good part of Wildstar was that the starting zone for the empire has you murdering civilians and then a chua unironically using human test subjects for deadly experimentation without a care, and then tried to paint them as being not bad people.

If I remember the beta thread right, goons even were defending them story wise as not being completely evil.

Then again goons do that a lot. See: The Old Republic, where the Empire that totally has racial purges and lets you murder for sport, and views targeting neutral medics that are helping the enemy as a good plan is totally completely not evil guys.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Saying that they are moving "towards" wildstar is dumb though because this has been happening at the very least since GW2. In reality the rapid consolidation of skill bars has been happening since WoW started cutting back on hybrid talent builds in WoTLK then locking people entirely out of trees and then just consolidating their abilities based on a role preset.

TSO and Neverwinter both had limited skill bars. B&S had a dynamic skillbar that altered based on followups so you never really saw clutter and things moved a whole lot more dynamically. These three came out long before Wildstar. Black Desert is almost entirely action based where most of your abilities come from how long you press the buttons and the directions you press while doing them.

I didn't say it to imply Wildstar invented this style of combat. I said it because he was wondering what MMOs he should play and had previous experience with Wildstar.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Wildstar is not a very good example of MMO action combat anyways.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What is B2W, and how's it different from pay-to-win?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SarutosZero posted:

I think class design (not balance) was one of the game's few strong points, actually. The only really lame one was Engineer, which also happened to be the most powerful and most popular class.

Imagine GW2 style combat except your class/party composition actually mattered.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Xavier434 posted:

Wildstar is not a very good example of MMO action combat anyways.

Really? This was one of the things I thought the game did fairly well. Your character felt pretty responsive when you moved about doing double jumps, sprinting, etc. Telegraphs worked well in smaller fights, although in bigger fights they became an utter loving mess.

What is a better example of MMO action combat?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I played the free trial tonight, and I couldn't even make it through the tutorial. The map looks like 1990s tier garbage art.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

Really? This was one of the things I thought the game did fairly well. Your character felt pretty responsive when you moved about doing double jumps, sprinting, etc. Telegraphs worked well in smaller fights, although in bigger fights they became an utter loving mess.

What is a better example of MMO action combat?

I'm pretty sure people have very thoroughly detailed in this very thread how combat is a complete mess. Eg, interrupt armor.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anatharon posted:

I'm pretty sure people have very thoroughly detailed in this very thread how combat is a complete mess. Eg, interrupt armor.

On the list of things to whine about in WS IA isn't one of them. Unless you played medic, then whine away.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

On the list of things to whine about in WS IA isn't one of them. Unless you played medic, then whine away.

It's okay, rhyme. We all make mistakes, no one's judging you. This is a safe place.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Normal Adult Human posted:

Even 18 months ago I would have said the former but now, holy loving poo poo it's door number 2 everywhere.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

The Moon Monster posted:

I think class design (not balance) was one of the game's few strong points, actually. The only really lame one was Engineer, which also happened to be the most powerful and most popular class.

Imagine GW2 style combat except your class/party composition actually mattered.

it matters in gw2 too

usually not in the "have these classes/roles or you lose" way, but there's a lot of difference between a ragtag group of randoms and an organised team with good party composition

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

RottenK posted:

it matters in gw2 too

usually not in the "have these classes/roles or you lose" way, but there's a lot of difference between a ragtag group of randoms and an organised team with good party composition

"good party composition"

*brings 3 elementalists because top dps*

That isn't even a joke, either. God drat dungeons are so hosed in gw2.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

God drat dungeons are so hosed in gw2.

No kidding. Maybe it's changed since I played last but the dungeons in GW2 were some of the least enjoyable things I've ever done in an MMO. Nothing says fun like shooting a viking for 15 straight minutes.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

God drat dungeons are so hosed in gw2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
but i do have some hopes for the future, the instanced content is the newer story stuff was pretty decent, maybe one day anet will make a good dungeon :unsmith:

• Locked thread