Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Threep posted:

Rocko or anyone else with experience with COFH ore generation, is there a way to do something similar to Custom Ore Gen's ore veins short of porting the code? Would love to switch because COG's annoying to work with but veins make mining more interesting.

Unless you mean something different than I think, just crank up the numbers with normal gen, with fewer counts per chunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Taffer posted:

Unless you mean something different than I think, just crank up the numbers with normal gen, with fewer counts per chunk.
This is COG's version of veins:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am responding in my mobile so I cannot easily site it, but among the new CoFH generators is a vein generator IIRC. There is also a fractal algorithm that I saw some people try to abuse.

https://cofh.github.io/mods/cofh-core/custom-world-generation.html
Thanks, I'll have a look. That documentation's a lot more complete than the official site that shows up before it on google.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Could anyone recommend me a decent world generator that works with mods?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Heffer posted:

Anybody have first hand experience with Agrarian Skies 2? Hows it playing?
I want to try it, but apparently it's only for the Curse Voice launcher?
How many goddamn launchers do we need?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'll just wait for someone to upload it to Technic and play it there, like I did with Agrarian 1.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I freaking love minetweaked and modtweaked progression modpacks! But there's so few of them... does anyone know of any good ones?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Mzbundifund posted:

I'll just wait for someone to upload it to Technic and play it there, like I did with Agrarian 1.

Yep, same here. This is like what, the 6th launcher now?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I installed the Curse Voice launcher thinking it wouldn't be so bad. Immediately it detected my Skype and Steam accounts and asked me to hook them in. The only way to refuse it was to say "this is not me".

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

This is the pack, just drop it into a multiMC instance or something with the right forge version. Not sure if something in latest breaks anything, or just that Jaded hasn't tested on a later version, it calls for 1387 in the readme.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
KoL i really need a better way to get ahold of you than paging in the thread. Just saying.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Mzbundifund posted:

Hi.

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/agskies.645176

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It seems okay so far but apparently unfinished.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Right the gently caress on, thanks!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just about finished my doodling in the CoFH dungeon generator and sent along a pull request for it. I had to abandon work on lakes because the vanilla algorithm just isn't suitable for what I want to do, I am not too interested in rolling my own, and it was a particular strange thing to be doing in the first place. I was trying to get a stronger guarantee that people going to The Nether in Baby's First Space Race would quickly run into blazes and wither skeletons, so I was trying to generate dungeons out of nether brick with blaze and wither skeleton spawners in the middle. It looks like I finally got that. I was hoping between that and crazy molten metal lakes, there would be enough hazard to skip out on having pigman aggro on for Nether Ores. It's far from being that chronic though.

I guess I should back up and ask what I should be trying to accomplish with The Nether. Do most technical modpacks disable pigmen aggro in Nether Ores? If so, I might as well disable it to just because of my idea that the pack is a precursor to playing one of those crazier packs. I was thinking of adding a few quests to collect some of the Natura stuff that shows up in The Nether--notably bloodwood and the gas clouds. I added nether furnaces as a quest after I discovered them. There's actually some nice stuff that gets thrown in there. Are there any good Nether mods I should generally include beyond Natura's stuff? I don't want to do BoP, but I do like the bone structures it adds.

Edit: What do people generally do in modded Minecraft if they are trying to actually build a base in The Nether? That might be a good approach to take.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Noone builds a base in the nether

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just about finished my doodling in the CoFH dungeon generator and sent along a pull request for it. I had to abandon work on lakes because the vanilla algorithm just isn't suitable for what I want to do, I am not too interested in rolling my own, and it was a particular strange thing to be doing in the first place. I was trying to get a stronger guarantee that people going to The Nether in Baby's First Space Race would quickly run into blazes and wither skeletons, so I was trying to generate dungeons out of nether brick with blaze and wither skeleton spawners in the middle. It looks like I finally got that. I was hoping between that and crazy molten metal lakes, there would be enough hazard to skip out on having pigman aggro on for Nether Ores. It's far from being that chronic though.

I guess I should back up and ask what I should be trying to accomplish with The Nether. Do most technical modpacks disable pigmen aggro in Nether Ores? If so, I might as well disable it to just because of my idea that the pack is a precursor to playing one of those crazier packs. I was thinking of adding a few quests to collect some of the Natura stuff that shows up in The Nether--notably bloodwood and the gas clouds. I added nether furnaces as a quest after I discovered them. There's actually some nice stuff that gets thrown in there. Are there any good Nether mods I should generally include beyond Natura's stuff? I don't want to do BoP, but I do like the bone structures it adds.

Edit: What do people generally do in modded Minecraft if they are trying to actually build a base in The Nether? That might be a good approach to take.

I don't want this to come across wrong, but you should think of playing some more minecraft before finalizing your pack's content.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

wylker posted:

I don't want this to come across wrong, but you should think of playing some more minecraft before finalizing your pack's content.

I've played a ton of it, albeit I have not see the full variety of 1.7.10. Even then, it's through this thread that I found out all those tricks with obsidian in particular. I have to just ask bluntly sometimes to see if there's something new or something else. Even with the kitchen sink packs, it's so overwhelming that it's hard to figure out what is in there that might help with something.

Maiden posted:

I had a fear of that. Not even on the servers I've tried have I seen one. I figured that it had to at least have crossed somebody's mind. What I see in Natura implies that it has enough stuff to at least give it a try . . . a miserable try. The default spawn chances for its materials makes it more likely you'll just starve to death.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had a fear of that. Not even on the servers I've tried have I seen one. I figured that it had to at least have crossed somebody's mind. What I see in Natura implies that it has enough stuff to at least give it a try . . . a miserable try. The default spawn chances for its materials makes it more likely you'll just starve to death.

Vanilla nether is a hostile and barren wasteland with no reason to go there unless you really want potions or to kill the wither

Most mods for the nether, outside of nether ores, make it more hostile, more barren, and add no reason to go there, unless you really want the trees or bones or whatever.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Maiden posted:

Vanilla nether is a hostile and barren wasteland with no reason to go there unless you really want potions or to kill the wither

Most mods for the nether, outside of nether ores, make it more hostile, more barren, and add no reason to go there, unless you really want the trees or bones or whatever.

Nether ores makes it an even more hostile but at least mineral rich wasteland. And tech mods that want glowstone give you a reason to go there outside of potions and wither skulls.

It's still ugly as gently caress (I'm on the fence if Natura makes the nether uglier or better) and hostile and there's really no reason to put a base in the nether. I tried a few times early on in Vanilla Minecraft, and while it was neat to make a little biodome garden in the Nether I really see no reason to do it again since there's no way to make a halfway decent looking base in the nether.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Natura and BoP make the Nether better in that it puts SOMETHING there, at least. Vanilla Nether may as well just not exist, it's just a lovely gate that glowstone, blaze rods, and wither skulls are behind.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

In order,
1.7.10 is still here, it's old, it's terrible for servers, it sucks, we're stuck with it for now.

Your main packs you would want to try vary on what you want:

Kitchen Sink and the Scrubby Towel:
OMP i, Modderation Permabanned, FTB Infi.. BAHAHAHA no

Let's all get to learnding: Babby's First Space Race

Quest Packs for the JRPGer in you: Blightfall, Regrowth, Babby's is also one techinically

Magic, Adventure, Copious ogrekill quantities of death: OMP Sigma

Magic, Adventure, less deathy: I dunno I don't play these

But what about FTB Really? They''ve abandoned their launcher for the Curse one. They're poo poo, Curse is poo poo, Slowpoke is poo poo. All hail CockMoxie.

Use Technic Launcher. The end.

What's wrong with ftb? The launcher works fine like it did pre curse and I've been playing infinity and it's pretty fun. Lots of changes since playing 6 months ago in 1.6.2 days.

I get goons hate ftb because they care about modders rights which is a :laffo: thing but they do make easy to find packs that generally have what everyone wants more or less.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Agrarian Skies 2 mobs are insane. Skeletons that race at light-speed towards you and chuck you off the edge of your world. Youtube personalities that can open doors AND LET ALL THE MONSTERS OUT OF YOUR SPAWN ROOM (what mod is this, again, so I can turn it the gently caress off?).
Also all animals are hostile and will attack you, so no animal farming. It's okay, the Fluxed Crystals mod, which you have to work up to, will cover the drops you need with greater efficiency. Except of course for feathers. There's no seed for feathers. And there's no other way provided to get them in the pack.
E: Wait, maybe I'm wrong after all. Chicken plants may be a thing I just didn't notice.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 30, 2015

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

What's wrong with ftb? The launcher works fine like it did pre curse and I've been playing infinity and it's pretty fun. Lots of changes since playing 6 months ago in 1.6.2 days.

I get goons hate ftb because they care about modders rights which is a :laffo: thing but they do make easy to find packs that generally have what everyone wants more or less.

The main reason FTB gets hate here is because a lot of people REALLY dislike Slowpoke. Also because from a purely tech standpoint their launcher is pretty inferior to Technic and MultiMC. Finally its the very heavy handed and political process to even get a pack on their launcher vs the free-market approach of Technic. But more than anything else its just because people like to pick sides and hating the other side feels good man.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

wylker posted:

The main reason FTB gets hate here is because a lot of people REALLY dislike Slowpoke. Also because from a purely tech standpoint their launcher is pretty inferior to Technic and MultiMC. Finally its the very heavy handed and political process to even get a pack on their launcher vs the free-market approach of Technic. But more than anything else its just because people like to pick sides and hating the other side feels good man.

Got it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Holyshoot posted:

Goons made the Technic platform, Slowpoke copied it and made it shittier. I don't see why we would like the launcher that was specially made with the purpose of telling us to gently caress off? :shrug:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

wylker posted:

This is pretty spot on for me. Slowpoke is a miserable poo poo that seems like he would sell out his convictions for peanuts (and has! more than once!). On top of that, though, is that the ftb launcher is the obvious stand-in for everything a lot of goons find disgusting about modding communities.

And have you heard that guys voice? When he talks it's like a drunk totalbuscuit, with twice the smarm. ugh.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've played a ton of it, albeit I have not see the full variety of 1.7.10. Even then, it's through this thread that I found out all those tricks with obsidian in particular. I have to just ask bluntly sometimes to see if there's something new or something else. Even with the kitchen sink packs, it's so overwhelming that it's hard to figure out what is in there that might help with something.

Well, I think it's possible to make a modpack centered around being restricted to the nether. Natura and Nether Ores of course. With those two mods you can climb most of the vanilla tech tree. You'd start by punching nether trees and making picks and axes out of progressively stronger woods, then mine nether ores. There are a lot of gaps, though. For instance, you basically have to eat glowshroom stew to survive- the only other real source of food is imp meat, I think. There's also no way to get most of the dyes, no vanilla crops or sugarcane, and no animal drops. No water locks you out of a lot of things, as does the lack of vanilla string and wool. The main problem though is that you can't get ender pearls. Biomes o Plenty has some nether biomes as well, the Undergarden being the most important as it has grass blocks which you can use bonemeal on to get tall grass which can drop wheat and barley seeds. Agricraft could be included to allow you to crossbreed up to all the other crop types once you have seeds.

Despite all this the nether would still be a terrible place because of all the lava, lovely terrain, ghasts, and with Natura, heatscar spiders.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The haze is also problematic for eye strain. That's my primary reason I don't base in the Nether.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

The haze is also problematic for eye strain. That's my primary reason I don't base in the Nether.

Turn your brightness all the way up (in game) it basically fixes this.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Vib Rib posted:

Youtube personalities that can open doors AND LET ALL THE MONSTERS OUT OF YOUR SPAWN ROOM (what mod is this, again, so I can turn it the gently caress off?).

I believe that would be Headcrumbs.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Fluxed Crystals should probably not be in as many modpacks as it is. The machines are incredibly laggy, and it was incredibly buggy for a long time as well.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

McFrugal posted:

Well, I think it's possible to make a modpack centered around being restricted to the nether. Natura and Nether Ores of course. With those two mods you can climb most of the vanilla tech tree. You'd start by punching nether trees and making picks and axes out of progressively stronger woods, then mine nether ores. There are a lot of gaps, though. For instance, you basically have to eat glowshroom stew to survive- the only other real source of food is imp meat, I think. There's also no way to get most of the dyes, no vanilla crops or sugarcane, and no animal drops. No water locks you out of a lot of things, as does the lack of vanilla string and wool. The main problem though is that you can't get ender pearls. Biomes o Plenty has some nether biomes as well, the Undergarden being the most important as it has grass blocks which you can use bonemeal on to get tall grass which can drop wheat and barley seeds. Agricraft could be included to allow you to crossbreed up to all the other crop types once you have seeds.

Despite all this the nether would still be a terrible place because of all the lava, lovely terrain, ghasts, and with Natura, heatscar spiders.

There's also no way to set a respawn point. (At least not without that one block in... Extra Utilities? It never worked right for me though.)

Edit: Not Extra Utils, what the gently caress was that from? Natura?

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 30, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

wylker posted:

Technic launcher and the fine people that maintain it and the first few modpacks on it were what got me to make an account on the SA forums. Come for the Minecraft modding, stay for the "A ticket came in" thread.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

m2pt5 posted:

There's also no way to set a respawn point. (At least not without that one block in... Extra Utilities? It never worked right for me though.)

Edit: Not Extra Utils, what the gently caress was that from? Natura?

Wellllll, you could cheat and have the overworld actually be the Nether. Like, force it to use the same worldgen as the Nether. You'd be able to use beds then. Heh, you could even make a nether portal in the overworld-nether... Haha, wouldn't that be a plot twist? You do a bunch of quests with the stated goal of building a nether portal to escape the nether (since you can't make obsidian normally), but when you finally build one you just wind up in the nether again.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 30, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Maiden posted:

I did.

It was good and normal skeleton spawners spawn wither skellys in the nether :)

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Well, I need a new pack to play on. The Progress server died and right now Modderation makes my computer sound like a jet engine.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Fluxed Crystals should probably not be in as many modpacks as it is. The machines are incredibly laggy, and it was incredibly buggy for a long time as well.
There's a lot of mods/changes that are in way too many modpacks. Like IguanaTweak's tool leveling system. And Forestry -- if I'm mining/sifting in your modpack and I find that awful blue chunk of apatite, I take it as a red flag. And HungerOverhaul's system where you get extreme slowness and mining fatigue when your health or hunger are low. gently caress that more than the others.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Danny Glands posted:

Well, I need a new pack to play on. The Progress server died and right now Modderation makes my computer sound like a jet engine.

try modsauce,

if you want an easy start - ms.chillaid.org (their packs give you everything - hint empty inventory before getting advanced pack)

if you want a quiet no pvp server - https://www.maddyncraft.com

or you could set up a basic no essentials or plugins on my personal server morepower.minuet-uk.com

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Danny Glands posted:

Come play AgSkies 2 with us. 208.77.221.188:25566

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

TheresaJayne posted:

try modsauce,

if you want an easy start - ms.chillaid.org (their packs give you everything - hint empty inventory before getting advanced pack)

if you want a quiet no pvp server - https://www.maddyncraft.com

or you could set up a basic no essentials or plugins on my personal server morepower.minuet-uk.com

Those first two have "donation" shops that seem to violate Mojang's monetization rules. https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/

• Locked thread