Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So like how do we even join the goon server? It wants me to enter a password but doesnt give me a field to do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I figure I should be destroying on normal with a 20 zerk but I don't feel any stronger, all the zeds still take the same amount of hits, its especially glaring with clots, you'd think trash zeds would fall easily but nope, 3 hits from the shovel still barring a headshot.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I think the lack of a weapon that weighs 2 is pretty egregious at the moment. Maybe make the medic SMG weigh 2?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I think the lack of a weapon that weighs 2 is pretty egregious at the moment. Maybe make the medic SMG weigh 2?
Most of the 2 weight weapons in KF1 were pistols IIRC so uh, maybe when gunslinger comes out?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Alteisen posted:

So I figure I should be destroying on normal with a 20 zerk but I don't feel any stronger, all the zeds still take the same amount of hits, its especially glaring with clots, you'd think trash zeds would fall easily but nope, 3 hits from the shovel still barring a headshot.

You've got to get them in the head, end of story. The crovel will sort out the clots, crawlers, stalkers, and gorefasts, but for anything beyond that, you really want that hammer. The hammer's heavy attack will one-shot sirens regardless of where you hit them, from what I've seen, and it'll take out bloats and husks if you nail them in the head. It's going to be the same way with guns. You're going to get the most mileage out of hitting them in the head, and it's a manageable feat.

You do get a 1% melee damage bonus per level, but it's not as useful as it sounds. At level 25, that should push your crovel damage to just over 50, and the hammer to just under 74. Since clots have 100 health, you're not changing breakpoints much as far as body shots are concerned, and you can headshot them from level 0. You go from 3 body hits to 2 once you crack 50, and the hammer will continue to take 2.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Insert name here posted:

Most of the 2 weight weapons in KF1 were pistols IIRC so uh, maybe when gunslinger comes out?

Commando has spoiled me with my ability to carry my T3(6), T4(6) and a medic SMG(3). So many bullets. 3 Weight for the Medic SMG seems generous already for what it is, already the lightest gun currently in the game that isn't a pistol. I would admit hating to see it become 4 Weight.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

You do get a 1% melee damage bonus per level, but it's not as useful as it sounds.

Yeah, along similar lines when I finally hit Level 10 commando, I thought that seemingly huge +40% damage to 9mm and knife from the Backup talent would make a difference. But it still takes two headshots with the 9mm to kill a clot on hard, same as before, on top of the 10% flat damage bonus just for being a level 10 commando. Even though a 20 damage medic with their Medic pistol can still one hit them.

I can only imaging trying to melee hit so many Zeds in the head up close, repeatedly, while they flail about and your swings all have different arcs and elevations (and they turn off crosshair in melee too, for that subconscious boost to your centering).

Percentile buffs in viddy games always seem like some kind of arcane witchcraft in their end results.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 30, 2015

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
I just played on a ranked server (hard, 10 waves) and no one in our party got any experience afterwords, despite gaining 2 levels in game. What gives?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Section Z posted:

I can only imaging trying to melee hit so many Zeds in the head up close, repeatedly, while they flail about and your swings all have different arcs and elevations (and they turn off crosshair in melee too, for that subconscious boost to your centering).

Percentile buffs in viddy games always seem like some kind of arcane witchcraft in their end results.

For the first wave or two, it's not too bad. You've generally got the room to maneuver around if you want to be careful, and if you don't, your medic will have time to heal you since you're not liable to get run down by a scrake. After that, best to invest in a nail gun, I think, because to hell with trying to wade into melee range to fight trash. Puts you at too much of a risk with regard to getting trapped between bodies or ambushed by any number of specials. The nail gun goes easy on ammo, one-shots trash, and switching to shotgun mode and dropping a volley in the face of the "medium" stuff like bloats works out pretty well. I generally save melee for scrakes, pounds, and sirens at that point, unless reloading isn't an option and stuff has to die now.

But yeah, the percent buffs end up not making a big difference as far as the trash is concerned. You're doing extra damage, sure, and that might help if you're engaging with something that already got beat up a bit. But it's never really reasonable to assume that is the case, especially when it comes to the trash that isn't liable to survive an encounter with a player in the vast majority of circumstances. If the breakpoints don't shift, the extra damage might be there, but it has no real impact.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Do custom servers just not give XP now or what?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Can put on the 5 extra weight perk on support then switch to another class and retain it.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Do custom servers just not give XP now or what?

I'm preparing myself for a lot of flack here but I'll give you all the scoop. Paraphrasing myself here from elsewhere.

Yes, mutators aren't yet officially supported and there is no mutator white list. The custom servers that have been running up until this point aren't even really mutators, they're run through server actor commands in the admin tools and totally open to exploitation.

Since we have no way of knowing what the custom servers are doing (you might be running a mutator that makes clots give 1,000 XP each, for example) we're unranking custom servers for now. You're still welcome to play and have fun on whatever creation someone in the community comes up with, your progression just won't save.

There will be a more robust solution implemented once we start supporting mutators in the SDK. With the hacky way mutators are being run right now there's just no way to verify what they're doing and differentiate from Awesome Mutators That Are Lots Of Fun from Bullshit Servers That You Join And Instantly Gain 100 Levels (which would suck to join if you didn't know that was going to happen).

If anyone is familiar with how KF1 worked mutators were reviewed and ones that weren't detrimental to the play experience or exploitable got white listed and could be run on ranked servers. This could include everything up to an including custom game modes. We're pretty chill when it comes to custom game modes but this is one of the major potential security holes we closed with this patch and we'll try and get a better solution for mutators and custom code content as soon as we can.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Questioner86 posted:

I'm preparing myself for a lot of flack here but I'll give you all the scoop. Paraphrasing myself here from elsewhere.

Yes, mutators aren't yet officially supported and there is no mutator white list. The custom servers that have been running up until this point aren't even really mutators, they're run through server actor commands in the admin tools and totally open to exploitation.

Since we have no way of knowing what the custom servers are doing (you might be running a mutator that makes clots give 1,000 XP each, for example) we're unranking custom servers for now. You're still welcome to play and have fun on whatever creation someone in the community comes up with, your progression just won't save.

There will be a more robust solution implemented once we start supporting mutators in the SDK. With the hacky way mutators are being run right now there's just no way to verify what they're doing and differentiate from Awesome Mutators That Are Lots Of Fun from Bullshit Servers That You Join And Instantly Gain 100 Levels (which would suck to join if you didn't know that was going to happen).

If anyone is familiar with how KF1 worked mutators were reviewed and ones that weren't detrimental to the play experience or exploitable got white listed and could be run on ranked servers. This could include everything up to an including custom game modes. We're pretty chill when it comes to custom game modes but this is one of the major potential security holes we closed with this patch and we'll try and get a better solution for mutators and custom code content as soon as we can.

This is begrudgingly understandable so long as the next patch to fix it is relatively soon

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Every single time I've tried to weld a door to get some support XP, I've been yelled at for it. Every single time I ask about which doors are good to weld I get told never to weld anything. In my defense the game explicitly tells me when choosing the support perk that welding doors gives me XP so I assumed it was somehow beneficial. Also I'm completely new to this game.

I wish that the game didn't claim that welding is a good thing and would give me XP when it seems to be bad more often than not.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

khy posted:

Every single time I've tried to weld a door to get some support XP, I've been yelled at for it. Every single time I ask about which doors are good to weld I get told never to weld anything. In my defense the game explicitly tells me when choosing the support perk that welding doors gives me XP so I assumed it was somehow beneficial. Also I'm completely new to this game.

I wish that the game didn't claim that welding is a good thing and would give me XP when it seems to be bad more often than not.

solution to that: gently caress everyone weld whatever doors you want

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Eonwe posted:

solution to that: gently caress everyone weld whatever doors you want

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Having a couple doors here and there welded in an area can make for nice control valves against getting swarmed with too many zeds at once. The problems come from people welding too many doors, and welding them too soon. Once they're destroyed they're gone for good, and a lot of people burn them up before they can be helpful.

What I like to do is weld a door or two in an area adjacent to the area my team is hanging around during the mid-to-late rounds. Not the main entrances to that area, but the entrances to one of the corridors or rooms that leads to it. It'll preoccupy a few zeds with bashing, plus reroute the rest on a longer path that will clump more of them together, but won't waste your panic attack "oh poo poo we need to buy seven Fleshpoundless seconds and now" doors.

Edit: or just weld whatever because as long as you're not being obtrusive most well-adjusted people won't care

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Don't lock your team into a closed area in with welding and you really should be fine.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Some rear end in a top hat welded me into a room with a fleshpound, alone. I died.

You're fine as long as you're not that guy. gently caress that guy.

Playing Commando, I usually use the bullpup until I can afford a SCAR, and I completely skip the whatever that other thing is, I don't even remember. Is that worth doing? Is it also worth carrying a double barrel as a commando? It seems to help against Scrakes and Fleshpounds, but is there a better loadout I should be using?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It was mentioned about 5 pages back, but welding right now seems really bad and inefficient. It's much easier to run around the map and kite things around if you panic than it is to seal up doors, and sealed doors can get in the way of people running around if things get bad. Mobility is very important in this game, and sealing a potential exit can get people killed.

Also, if only one or two people are left against the final boss, Hans, the boss fight becomes a running race where you need to sprint through the level to dodge all his stuff. Running into a welded door could very easily kill you. Also, shutting doors behind you stops him from hitting you with his grenades and his nerve gas, since they'll plink off the door and end up safely behind you. If you have previously welded a door shut and the zeds have broken through it, you cannot shut that door. So for survivability purposes, as the game is designed right now, welding is completely non-beneficial and almost never helps.

But it does get you XP and winning means absolutely nothing, so weld away. All the stuff I said above only matters if people need to run and gun, and it is almost always a better idea to have a group hold a room together than try to run and gun. Until you're the last one standing, anyway.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Had a team that decided to weld us all into a small room with Hans. I was the only survivor to escape and I didn't last long after that massacre.

I would have been pissed if I wasn't laughing so hard at what these guys accomplished. I don't even think they did it deliberately.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Fleshpound HP is insane for something with their DPS. Our team has no issues dropping Skrakes on suicidal if everyone is paying attention but I can dump two AA-12 magazines into one at level 10 and still get pulped with my team backing me up.

Speaking of which, tonight I watched someone kill 4+ Skrakes alone because he was able to dance with his head in their armpits and not get scratched. Tripwire please make a bullfighter hat DLC called "Beemoo".

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 30, 2015

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
All 4 at the same time or just 4 one on ones?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Daily Forecast posted:

Playing Commando, I usually use the bullpup until I can afford a SCAR, and I completely skip the whatever that other thing is, I don't even remember. Is that worth doing? Is it also worth carrying a double barrel as a commando? It seems to help against Scrakes and Fleshpounds, but is there a better loadout I should be using?
I usually buy both the AK-12 and the SCAR because you can hold them both. Expensive, but worth it if you can afford it.

gnome7 posted:

But it does get you XP and winning means absolutely nothing, so weld away. All the stuff I said above only matters if people need to run and gun, and it is almost always a better idea to have a group hold a room together than try to run and gun. Until you're the last one standing, anyway.
Well I mean, killing Hans gets you a bunch of XP, so if it comes down to it it's better to win than to weld doors and lose (not that it's normally that binary of a choice).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tanreall posted:

All 4 at the same time or just 4 one on ones?

4 one-on-ones but it was some serious Titus Pullo action.

Daily Forecast posted:

The double hasn't really started to stand out until the low single digit levels in Support so I dunno about it being worthwhile as a Commando when you duty is to pop heads at a distance. The tier 3 weapons seem skippable in general because they're 66% of the price of tier 4 and tier 4 is more than 33% better. I play almost nothing but Support though.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 30, 2015

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

khy posted:

Welding doors is usually an emergency type thing. You don't typically weld a door to hold out because they don't last and then the door is gone. Plus it could trap people that are kiting. I only ever weld a door when I have a ton of poo poo chasing me and I have a couple seconds to throw a bit of weld on and keep running just to buy some time. It's also handy to stop a flesh pound from raging at you. Switch to your welder while running through a door, shut it then whip a 180 and throw some weld on then take off again.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I think welding might have more use if teleporting wasn't so rampant. I get the impression that might be adjusted in the future because it feels like every time I weld a door to keep a flesh pound off my rear end he's already behind me anyway.. and now I can't run away because I've locked myself in with him.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Ramsus posted:

Welding doors is usually an emergency type thing. You don't typically weld a door to hold out because they don't last and then the door is gone. Plus it could trap people that are kiting. I only ever weld a door when I have a ton of poo poo chasing me and I have a couple seconds to throw a bit of weld on and keep running just to buy some time. It's also handy to stop a flesh pound from raging at you. Switch to your welder while running through a door, shut it then whip a 180 and throw some weld on then take off again.
Just don't be this dude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P696IwhYj0&hd=1

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Could the dumb distorted sound at low health please be removed? Can't count the number of times I've been running to go heal and end up dying because of something behind me I couldn't hear.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Finally got a screenshot of my own to share!

And a fresh bug for those kind gentlemen at TWI reading this thread: KF2 does not react well if your steam screenshot key is F11, at least if you're running borderless window like me. It minimized my screen then when it came back it refused to accept input (minimizing again every time I clicked) until I hit F11 again, making it normal windowed mode instead of borderless.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
On the subject of custom servers, are there people running bots on ranked stuff or is that built in?

A few times I'll end up in some random place like say, "Xplosive whatever" and I'll noticed the scoreboard has given two eternally silent players my Steam avatar for example. Last time this happened I hit rank 6, though let me keep that, and after the match the two mid game arrival clearly real players cleared out and so did I.

EDIT: vvv Gotcha, was wondering because there was also a tendency for it to be Level 0 people at match start in these cases, and only the people without the cloned avatars have ever talked back :downs: So I guess there was some confirmation bias like I was wondering. They weren't sitting AFK or anything, so I guess I've just had a lot of coincidental luck running into completely silent fresh starts.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 30, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Section Z posted:

On the subject of custom servers, are there people running bots on ranked stuff or is that built in?

A few times I'll end up in some random place like say, "Xplosive whatever" and I'll noticed the scoreboard has given two eternally silent players my Steam avatar for example. Last time this happened I hit rank 6, though let me keep that, and after the match the two mid game arrival clearly real players cleared out and so did I.

The avatar thing has happened since launch.

It's probably too soon for people to have already programmed bots. It was probably just a couple of nerds that went afk or crashed without leaving the server, the game doesn't have a very good auto kicker.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

khy posted:

If I ever feel like welding for XP, which is almost never, I just weld one up and then unweld it immediately afterwards. Repeat as desired. I've certainly never done it tactically as it has never seemed to help at all, just when I'm waiting for the trader pod to shut.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, I've seen the scoreboard do all sorts of weird things like duplicating avatars, missing players, showing players that were no longer in the game, or showing a living player as dead.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ha, I ran into that avatar-cloning thing for the first time tonight. My teammates (silent bastards that they were) probably thought I was nuts.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Getting grabbed by Hans inside of a gas grenade cloud is a nasty combination.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just a saw scrake disappear after it killed me. :allears:

What a load of poo poo.

Oh well got my medic to 5 at least.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I've noticed a thing where zeds will be moving steadily towards me/someone and then when the attack animation starts, they'll teleport closer to their target. It's most noticeable on Gorefasts because well they're fast already, but I've seen grabber zeds do it too. Anyone else seen this?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

khy posted:

The only door I can think of that's actually good to weld is the door by the back vent in the mansion hallway that everyone camps in paris. For some reason zeds will always go the slow route that funnels them into a narrow hallway instead of attacking it, which makes that spot insanely easy to hold.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Insert name here posted:

but the Hunting Shotgun fires 12 pellets/shot while the 1014 only does 7 pellets/shot.

Are you sure? I thought I'd counted 8 for either, but I guess I miscounted.

The additional pellets aren't really noticeable on the hunting shotgun if that's the case, the spread is loving ridiculous. It could do with being 25% more accurate. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The enemy teleporting is really, really aggressive.

I played a solo game today. Last enemy was a Husk. I ran outside of the hotel to escape him shooting at me, he then walks out of the cafe across the street seconds later.

What the hell? Enemies can be out of sight for as little as a few seconds and then teleport ahead of you.