Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Moey posted:

Ban all unions then. Call it a day.
Yeah if we go back to Company Towns and Corporate Slave Overseers Security we wont have "Criminal Police" anymore.

A libertard solution for every problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Moey posted:

Law enforcement isn't paid great.

This keeps being posted, but it really isn't all the true. The best paid city employee is apparently a Baltimore city police detective who made $170k in 2013.
Admittedly, most aren't making that much, but they're hardly underpaid.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

All the responses to this just remind me of the posts after the Mike Brown and Zimmerman incidents became a little clearer. Baseless allegations of wide-ranging conspiracy, references to completely unrelated incidents, and of course "it doesn't matter anyway". I'd think that you guys would learn after embarrassing yourselves twice before but I guess not.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

nm posted:

This keeps being posted, but it really isn't all the true. The best paid city employee is apparently a Baltimore city police detective who made $170k in 2013.
Admittedly, most aren't making that much, but they're hardly underpaid.

Starting salary of a BPD Officer is $43K. That is one detective, out of 3100 sworn officers. That detective pretty much worked 6+ days a week and a lot of OT. It's not a good bellwether of the entire department. The pay is why BPD routinely looses their officers to other area departments on a pretty consistent basis.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
What part of the conspiracy that cops are racist towards blacks is untrue?

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 30, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

semper wifi posted:

All the responses to this just remind me of the posts after the Mike Brown and Zimmerman incidents became a little clearer. Baseless allegations of wide-ranging conspiracy, references to completely unrelated incidents, and of course "it doesn't matter anyway". I'd think that you guys would learn after embarrassing yourselves twice before but I guess not.

You're making the same mistake as shrike, you're going too heavy on the trolling and it gets obvious.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

semper wifi posted:

...but enough about how racists were falling all over themselves to find any way to justify dead kids.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Morroque posted:

In some ways I know that as far as municipalities go, but I'm wondering -- in the circumstance where the Baltimore PD gets most of its funding from taxation upon the very same Baltimore residents who currently do not trust them -- if the PD department may learn some lesson not to bite the hand that feeds them. That is, however, only in the case where direct taxation is involved. In Ferguson, the police budget was gained through other, more nefarious means through perverse incentives regarding debtor's prisons; which allowed them to treat their civilian population with less and less respect. I'm wondering which one of the two is the case.
It doesn't actually matter.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Moey posted:

I'll take a stab that the urban neighborhoods are riddled with crime that they dont bother reporting.

A rousing endorsement of the competence of the police force that puts their actions beyond reproach. Its simply absurd to be demanding any semblance of transparency or oversight.

quote:

I'm not supporting police violence, but in their shoes, your life is more important than someone who tries/wants take your life.

I too am terrified of drunk unarmed college girls surrounded by half a dozen other police officers and act extremely aggressively towards them, causing their injury.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Lemming posted:

You're making the same mistake as shrike, you're going too heavy on the trolling and it gets obvious.

"anyone who disagrees with me is trolling"

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

...but enough about how racists were falling all over themselves to find any way to justify dead kids.

Lil Freddie, poor baby was only 25. Just a little kid, just making those little kiddie mistakes like carrying a switchblade around and selling drugs. He could've been an astronaut or a secret agent when he grew up! And big Mike, little guy was just learning to commit strong arm robberies and assault 5 foot nothing convenience store clerks when those mean ol police cut him down for no reason. Hands up!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lol "carrying a knife around". Guess the 2nd amendment doesn't apply if you're black!

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
While I think knife restrictions are all stupid and a waste of time, it's illegal to carry a switchblade almost everywhere

e: maybe not "almost everywhere" but more often than not. it's illegal in maryland.

semper wifi fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 30, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

semper wifi posted:

While I think knife restrictions are all stupid and a waste of time, it's illegal to carry a switchblade almost everywhere

e: maybe not "almost everywhere" but more often than not. it's illegal in maryland.

I don't think they even had probable cause to search him. As far as I know, running is not probable cause.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know man, I would be pretty leery at using "was carrying a weapon the government didn't want him to have" as justification for government agents killing someone, sounds like a Big Government infringement on our rights to me.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think they even had probable cause to search him. As far as I know, running is not probable cause.

What about obviously fleeing from the police, though?

VitalSigns posted:

I don't know man, I would be pretty leery at using "was carrying a weapon the government didn't want him to have" as justification for government agents killing someone, sounds like a Big Government infringement on our rights to me.

Curious argument from a guy I seem to recall advocating for criminalizing saying "homosexuality is a sin"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well when I post "yeah the cops killed that guy but he was anti-gay, sooooooooo" then these things will be identical and you won't have to confront your own double standard re: justifying breaking someone's spine who had carried an illegal knife earlier.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

semper wifi posted:

gently caress Terry Stops, gently caress broken-windows policing, gently caress the idea that not wanting a cop in your face today means that you need the pavement in your face and a cop on your back. Justification after the fact is how we go back to general warrants. I've been harassed by cops before (no criminal record, shove that in your Just World pipe and smoke it), and I'm certain that in at least two of those cases the only reason I didn't wind up on my face when I called the cop on his poo poo it was because I look white or it wasn't a "high-crime" (read: dirty poor) area. In both of those cases I literally saw cops decide that someone else who said and did the exact same thing as I did needed threats of arrest right loving now, and wouldn't you know both of those people had a certain darker shade to their skin. Nothing like watching a university cop threaten to arrest a friend of mine for refusing to prove that an illegally-parked car wasn't his to brighten my loving day, or watching them harass a cop from another city and threaten her with "how bad it would look if [she] got arrested on Christmas Eve" over a parking issue their own dispatch claimed before and after that they didn't have the right to enforce.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Foma posted:

It looks like a major part of the fix is to ban public sector unions.

No.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Well when I post "yeah the cops killed that guy but he was anti-gay, sooooooooo" then these things will be identical and you won't have to confront your own double standard re: justifying breaking someone's spine who had carried an illegal knife earlier.

I'm not justifying what the cops did, I'm criticizing the tendency for people in this thread to let high-profile victims of police violence completely off the hook, to the point of pretending that a 25 year old man qualifies as a "kid". The cops aren't great but Freddie, and Freddie alone, was the one who invited them into his life.

e: and yeah, that sounds harsh I know, but this is looking like the third time now this big blowup has been over what turns out to be some dumbass basically getting into it with someone and losing. And every time it happens the casual observer just shrugs their shoulders and goes away thinking the cops aren't that bad after all.

semper wifi fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 30, 2015

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

semper wifi posted:

I'm not justifying what the cops did, I'm criticizing the tendency for people in this thread to let high-profile victims of police violence completely off the hook, to the point of pretending that a 25 year old man qualifies as a "kid". The cops aren't great but Freddie, and Freddie alone, was the one who invited them into his life.

They were supposed to arrest (or possibly let free, if their concerns were unfounded), not murder him, then. In other countries the policemen are usually able to do this. Maybe American ones are especially inept?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

semper wifi posted:

It's a shame he didn't have a perfectly legal handgun instead and he hadn't managed to use it. The end result would be the same, but at least he would have taken at least one of his murderers with him.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

semper wifi posted:

e: and yeah, that sounds harsh I know, but this is looking like the third time now this big blowup has been over what turns out to be some dumbass basically getting into it with someone and losing. And every time it happens the casual observer just shrugs their shoulders and goes away thinking the cops aren't that bad after all.

It's not harsh, it's just very, very stupid.

Freddie could have been Pol Pot for all I care, the police is still on the hook for, at least, manslaughter.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Six days ago a reporter tweeted that the police reported Gray was quiet in the back of the van, neglect to mention him violently throwing himself against the walls hard enough to break his spine and kill himself

I'm sure that anonymous prisoner knows more than the police operating the van though, because common criminals picked up off the street are much more observant than trained police officers.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

semper wifi posted:

The cops aren't great but Freddie, and Freddie alone, was the one who invited them into his life.

Police unconstitutionally intruding into law abiding black people's lives because of systemic racism is actually a point of contention.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Stereotype posted:

Six days ago a reporter tweeted that the police reported Gray was quiet in the back of the van, neglect to mention him violently throwing himself against the walls hard enough to break his spine and kill himself

I'm sure that anonymous prisoner knows more than the police operating the van though, because common criminals picked up off the street are much more observant than trained police officers.

I don't have issue with his observation levels. But crims trying to curry favour with the people who have them in custody have been known to make poo poo up, especially in high-profile cases.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

mastervj posted:

It's not harsh, it's just very, very stupid.

Freddie could have been Pol Pot for all I care, the police is still on the hook for, at least, manslaughter.

Doubtful, considering everything happened during the course of a lawful arrest, and yeah of course the police should have done better.

Stereotype posted:

Most likely scenario to me, considering the video, is that he was just limp back there bumping around after getting hurt in the arrest, and the cops who put him in assumed he was just being a dick. Would explain both the "mostly quiet" and the slamming around.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

semper wifi posted:

Most likely scenario to me, considering the video, is that he was just limp back there bumping around after getting hurt in the arrest, and the cops who put him in assumed he was just being a dick. Would explain both the "mostly quiet" and the slamming around.

In which case the officers would be guilty of reckless homicide.

If they were so bad at their job that they were unaware that injury or death was a possibility of sliding around unconsciously while shackled in a metal box, then they would only be guilty of negligent homicide.

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 30, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

semper wifi posted:

Doubtful, considering everything happened during the course of a lawful arrest, and yeah of course the police should have done better.

Just a reminder, the BPD have still not settled on an official story of what happened, and if they try to come out and say "Well we didn't seatbelt him in because he was fighting us and so he threw herself around in the van until his spine severed and rendered him immobile" then the riots are going to be way worse.

Almost everything since the initial incident has been the BPD circling wagons and trying to keep everyone quiet while they work out a narrative where the cops are blameless and everything can be pinned on a scary black man just refusing to listen to the cops.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

semper wifi posted:

A Georgia cop of all people once explained to a class I was in that fleeing the police wasn't in and of itself probable cause. Doesn't matter how obvious it is.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

He did? All I saw was selling some dope, gambling, and carrying a knife. All nonviolent offenses that we know are disproportionately enforced against black people. Seems like he was just going about his business not harming anyone, but Big Government kept initiating force against him.

semper wifi posted:

Even taking your argument at face-value this is negligent homicide.

Come on. If these were Obamacops taking some good old boy rancher or college Libertarian to a FEMA camp for possession of marijuana and he was dead when they got there, and someone piped up with "but--but he had an unlicensed concealed carry firearm when they picked him up so he was up to no good" you'd be like "stop defending Obama's fascist stormtroopers, just owning a firearm without a license isn't a reason to be killed, you Stalinist. Citizens need weapons to protect themselves from the feds!"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 30, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

semper wifi posted:

WTF? All Gray did, literally, was look at a cop then run away. There hasn't been the slightest allegation that he did anything remotely criminal in this particular instance.

Apart from, well, "being black in Baltimore", which is apparently an arrestable offense.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
semper wifi, in your opinion, is it possible for police to abuse their power against civilians? If so, give a theoretical example of such abuse.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That rear end in a top hat cop who gave me a speeding ticket when I was just 5 over, what a dick :argh:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

WTF? All Gray did, literally, was look at a cop then run away. There hasn't been the slightest allegation that he did anything remotely criminal in this particular instance.

Apart from, well, "being black in Baltimore", which is apparently an arrestable offense.

Well, he did do something criminal, but it sounds like everything criminal he did was only discovered after the police started to arrest him for gently caress knows what reason. Fleeing isn't illegal, but after the cops decided to arrest him anyway, resisting is, even if the arrest is bogus. And then of course they found that he possessed a knife he shouldn't have.

Hindsight 20/20, and who knows what bullshit the cops would have or could have made up, but in those situations the more "correct" course of action is to comply with the arrest and then have a lawyer throw it out, but hahahaha, I'm saying this from the comfort of my computer, with a dad who is a public defender, and 8 years since college of gainful employment to save for emergencies like lawyers, so, I'm not about to say that's what I would have done if I were him.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Semper wifi gives the laziest troll possible and everyone bit.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Maybe we can have the fifteenth discussion about probable cause where we all realize that anything and everything is probable cause.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

mlmp08 posted:

Well, he did do something criminal, but it sounds like everything criminal he did was only discovered after the police started to arrest him for gently caress knows what reason. Fleeing isn't illegal, but after the cops decided to arrest him anyway, resisting is, even if the arrest is bogus. And then of course they found that he possessed a knife he shouldn't have.

Cops breaking the 4th amendment is a big deal, especially if it's systematic. Not only is it illegal by way of the founding principles of our nation, but a waste of the money they could be using to pay their officers more.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Anora posted:

Cops breaking the 4th amendment is a big deal, especially if it's systematic. Not only is it illegal by way of the founding principles of our nation, but a waste of the money they could be using to pay their officers more.

I know.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Finally, some genuine outrage from a CNN reporter over the injustice in Baltimore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I can't even form a coherent response to that. I just keep making this "hrnnng" noise and now I feel a weird throbbing in the back of my skull.

• Locked thread