Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Jsor posted:

Brows Held High on The Amanda Show: confirmed.

You got me. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Movie Nights: The Infiltrator! Scott Bakula is accidentally fused with a space probe and turns into a ridiculous robot.

http://phelous.com/2015/04/28/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-infiltrator/

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'm glad the Japanese appeared to have dug that Pop Quiz thing.

Some of the lettering could have been done a bit better and fit the effects better.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 28, 2015

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
SFDebris reviewed "Summer Wars", as usual having some interesting things to say about it, and apparently in May he's doing the third "Madoka" movie, which I'm very interested in hearing his thoughts on because holy poo poo is it a doozy.

Miss Wallace posted:

Movie Nights: The Infiltrator! Scott Bakula is accidentally fused with a space probe and turns into a ridiculous robot.

http://phelous.com/2015/04/28/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-infiltrator/
I love the intro for Movie Nights. It really is like an 80s show intro, complete with going on just a few beats too long.

KKall posted:

But honestly, if I ever ended Brows Held High entirely, The Holy Mountain might be the last video I would ever do. Yes, the movie has a lot of mockable weirdness, but I think there's enough going on in it to warrant a serious take. But as another poster said, it's impossible to talk about positively without sounding like a pretentious hippie spaceman. So... sounding like Jodorowsky, I guess. I can't think of any other living filmmaker who's so disturbingly good at being himself, for all that means.

But yeah, I'll get to him eventually. Eeeeeeeventually.
"The Holy Mountain" is also amazing in that it was made for just $750,000 and has such an epic scale to it.

By the way, I know you weren't a fan of "The Devils", but have you considered doing any more Ken Russell? That guy is a goldmine of weird whether you love him or hate him, and its now actually possible to see most of his filmography without paying $60 for a used laserdisc or getting extremely lucky and catching repertory screenings.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kunster posted:

I'm glad the Japanese appeared to have dug that Pop Quiz thing.

Some of the lettering could have been done a bit better and fit the effects better.

I know what that video is probably a joke, but the Nostalgia Critic is apparently decently big in Japan.

As is the Angry Videogame Nerd.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Robert Denby posted:

By the way, I know you weren't a fan of "The Devils", but have you considered doing any more Ken Russell? That guy is a goldmine of weird whether you love him or hate him, and its now actually possible to see most of his filmography without paying $60 for a used laserdisc or getting extremely lucky and catching repertory screenings.

He could do Women in Love and talk about the naked Oliver Reed wrestling scene. (What was it with Russell and Oliver Reed?) Which is the only thing I really know about that movie. I should probably actually sit down and watch some Ken Russell, although from what I've heard so far, this clip from The Goodies is pretty accurate.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I know what that video is probably a joke, but the Nostalgia Critic is apparently decently big in Japan.

As is the Angry Videogame Nerd.

I do recall Jay O talking about it, and it's not exactly out of line to see cameos like that.

Heck, with a bit of tinkering you can find AVGN subbed episodes on NicoVideo. Not much luck on Nostalgia Critc video tho.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Infamous Sphere posted:

He could do Women in Love and talk about the naked Oliver Reed wrestling scene. (What was it with Russell and Oliver Reed?) Which is the only thing I really know about that movie. I should probably actually sit down and watch some Ken Russell, although from what I've heard so far, this clip from The Goodies is pretty accurate.
How have I never seen that clip before?! :allears: One of the film's they're parodying with that clip, "The Music Lovers", is probably worth watching since it covers a lot of ground that would suit your show. Its a biopic on Tchaikovsky that goes into some detail on his on-again-off-again gay relationship, and has a dazzlingly insane performance by Glenda Jackson as Tchaikovsky's wife. The film very consciously switches between scenes of beauty and grandeur to some remarkably disturbing territory towards the end. "Women in Love" is quite good too, and worth watching just for the performances by Reed and Jackson.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

I have a pretty big pile of requests to get to, but once I'm through that I would love to tackle that Tchaikovsky biopic he did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO31n8sy0r0

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have seen the movie Tommy almost ten times, and it is still not enough.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Robert Denby posted:

How have I never seen that clip before?! :allears: One of the film's they're parodying with that clip, "The Music Lovers", is probably worth watching since it covers a lot of ground that would suit your show. Its a biopic on Tchaikovsky that goes into some detail on his on-again-off-again gay relationship, and has a dazzlingly insane performance by Glenda Jackson as Tchaikovsky's wife. The film very consciously switches between scenes of beauty and grandeur to some remarkably disturbing territory towards the end. "Women in Love" is quite good too, and worth watching just for the performances by Reed and Jackson.

KKall posted:

I have a pretty big pile of requests to get to, but once I'm through that I would love to tackle that Tchaikovsky biopic he did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO31n8sy0r0

Haha, speak of the devil. Well, I think I'll let Mr Kallgren have this one.

Wait a minute, Richard Chamberlain? Hello, another closeted (at the time) gay actor playing a gay character!

The "best" bit about that Goodies clip is just before they talk about Ken Russell, they have a parody of Death in Venice, which is also pretty accurate. I've been trying VERY hard to watch DiV for the past couple of weeks for my Bogarde series, but I'm finding it incredibly hard to take. Thankfully it's the last film I'm going to cover, so I've still got a couple of weeks before I really need to see it. I've only gotten about 30 minutes in and so far it's just Bogarde being grumpy on a boat, and then staring creepily at some teenage boy. Oh and some arguments about beauty or something. Am I a philistine for confessing that I'm finding this movie..kind of boring?
Yes, I know about Visconti creeping on Andresen, and the extremely unfortunate reality behind the movie's unfortunate implications. I'll get to that when I actually make the review.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 29, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

What :psyduck:

E: Some content, I don't know if Lupa or JO was still with TGWTG when Doug released the "League of Super Critics" channel but do you guys get any sort of cut off that? He (or whoever) is essentially reuploading videos made by contributors and getting the ad revenue off it.

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 29, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Contracts?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Robert Denby posted:

SFDebris reviewed "Summer Wars", as usual having some interesting things to say about it, and apparently in May he's doing the third "Madoka" movie, which I'm very interested in hearing his thoughts on because holy poo poo is it a doozy.

Strange to not mention WarGames

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
So C2E2 was a blast. Apparently I really DO look like Doug Walker. I had a good 10 people all day think I was him. After correcting them, I pointed them all to the real guy's direction. When I told Doug all my friends think I look like him, he didn't really agree. But Rob and everyone else in the gang were all "No dude, he's TOTALLY your twin", which amused everyone watching. Hell, I refused to believe it either til I finally got picture proof:

The brothers Walker are just and friendly and chill in person as they seem in their out of character videos. They seemed to get a kick out of me having an actual copy of Titanic The Legend Goes On, as apparently it's become quite rare since Doug's video about it a few years ago.

He didn't ask me to be his replacement/stand-in, dashing my dorky fan dreams. But it was still great to meet an entertainer I've liked and respected for years now :)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"What should we have as our banner for our table?"

"Banner?"

"Yeah, so people know who we are"

"Just print Channel Awesome on some 10x16 and safety pin it up somewhere"

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"Banner?"

Ahahaha. I didn't even notice that. Would explain why I walked by them at least a couple times.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Robert Denby posted:

Oh cool I enjoyed Summer Wars, especially since the evil AI was developed by a guy from CMU which is pretty unsurprising

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"Banner?"

I'm reasonably sure that the safety pinned label is actually the con's marking for the booth, so even less effort than you assumed!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So sage put out another anime abandon video, this one looking at a title called landlock, which is only notable for having shiro masamune do the character design. Honestly, its probably the worst review that bennett has done in a long time, though its not surprising since he literally just plucked it off the shelf. But his jokes weren't funny and he was regressing into the "screaming manchild" internet critic archetype. He's way better when he's talking about a show he loves or has an in depth knowledge of. His "look at stupid poo poo and guffaw" reviews usually fall flat unless the source material is bonkers enough on its own, like ultimate teacher.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Leal posted:

What :psyduck:

E: Some content, I don't know if Lupa or JO was still with TGWTG when Doug released the "League of Super Critics" channel but do you guys get any sort of cut off that? He (or whoever) is essentially reuploading videos made by contributors and getting the ad revenue off it.

LOSC is run by Maker Studios (and Blip before that), not Channel Awesome. CA has their own YouTube channel where they post other videos that are not nostalgia critic and I cannot even begin to fathom why.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Doug reviewed the Antonio Banderas and I don't think I can accept that its actually a bad movie, I remember watching it all the time and loving it. :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

So sage put out another anime abandon video, this one looking at a title called landlock, which is only notable for having shiro masamune do the character design. Honestly, its probably the worst review that bennett has done in a long time, though its not surprising since he literally just plucked it off the shelf. But his jokes weren't funny and he was regressing into the "screaming manchild" internet critic archetype. He's way better when he's talking about a show he loves or has an in depth knowledge of. His "look at stupid poo poo and guffaw" reviews usually fall flat unless the source material is bonkers enough on its own, like ultimate teacher.

Yeah, this one really just felt like filler to kill time until Tatsunoko Month.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

achillesforever6 posted:

Doug reviewed the Antonio Banderas and I don't think I can accept that its actually a bad movie, I remember watching it all the time and loving it. :negative:

It's okay if someone doesn't like something you like. That's life. In fact, here's someone else who liked that movie, flaws and all.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

achillesforever6 posted:

Wait, he reviewed THE Antonio Banderas? He's just reviewing actors now?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mischalaniouse posted:

Wait, he reviewed THE Antonio Banderas? He's just reviewing actors now?
Ahaha yeah I meant the first Zorro movie with Anthony Hopkins

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

achillesforever6 posted:

Doug also thinks that Masters of the Universe, The Garbage Pail Kids, Mortal Kombat, Howard the Duck and Jaws 3 are also bad movies, to name a few.

He's wrong about most movies :colbert:

e: And so is Mischalaniouse, apparently. Don't listen to them either. :colbert:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 30, 2015

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

KayTee posted:

Doug also thinks that Masters of the Universe, The Garbage Pail Kids, Mortal Kombat, Howard the Duck and Jaws 3 are also bad movies, to name a few.

He's wrong about most movies :colbert:

I only see one good movie there.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mischalaniouse posted:

I only see one good movie there.
And a movie that paid for a good house

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You're talking about Mortal Kombat right?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PresidentBeard posted:

You're talking about Mortal Kombat right?
No I confused Jaws 3 with Jaws the Revenge god I need to go to bed.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

No I confused Jaws 3 with Jaws the Revenge god I need to go to bed.

I meant the one good movie.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Ahaha yeah I meant the first Zorro movie with Anthony Hopkins

No, he reviewed the lovely sequel which deserves all the guff it gets.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The first Mortal Kombat and Masters of the Universe both own.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beefstew posted:

The first Mortal Kombat and Masters of the Universe both own.

I'd also add Street Fighter to that list. Raul Julia, Ming-Na Wen, JCVD and the two guys who played Deejay and Zangief save that movie 100%.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I hate to sound like an rear end in a top hat but does quality even matter? I've been watching Game Theory and far as I can tell all that he does is edit his videos in a way that appeals to the youtube masses with no regards to if its worth a gently caress and pulls in insane views..

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tracula posted:

I hate to sound like an rear end in a top hat but does quality even matter?

Isn't the biggest Youtube reviewers Totalbiscuit? Which is literally just someone rambling for twenty minutes over an unedited stream of gameplay footage.

Quality can matter, but Quantity is pretty well valued too. There's enough people who prefer constant content over quality content for stuff that's a bit poo poo to become quite popular.

Fans fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 30, 2015

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fans posted:

Isn't the biggest Youtube reviewers Totalbiscuit? Which is literally just someone rambling for twenty minutes over an unedited stream of gameplay footage.

Quality can matter, but Quantity is pretty well valued too. There's enough people who prefer constant content over quality content for stuff that's a bit poo poo to become quite popular.

To be fair, what more can you really do with "I am giving my unvarnished first impressions of this video game"? (Edit: Unless you're talking about some other part of his output than the WTF is? videos. I'm honestly not familiar with anything but those.) Plenty could be said about TB, but I feel like the format is the least offensive part if you want to talk quality.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 30, 2015

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

John Murdoch posted:

To be fair, what more can you really do with "I am giving my unvarnished first impressions of this video game"? Plenty could be said about TB, but I feel like the format is the least offensive part if you want to talk quality.

I actually enjoy listening to TB talk about video games... and that's it. I disregard all his other bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

John Murdoch posted:

To be fair, what more can you really do with "I am giving my unvarnished first impressions of this video game"?

That's kind of the point though. There's an audience for that stuff, despite it being really low effort. I'm sure we've all watched some poo poo in our time just because nothing better was about. Hell most of internet reviewers are about going over the poo poo we watched because nothing better was on.

• Locked thread