Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah that was the next thing I was gonna ask: what will happen first, an official state apology for Japan's atrocities (complete with reparations or whatever), the same thing for the Armenian genocide, or hell freezing over?

Japan already paid war reparations to pretty much every Asian country except for China (in part due to Cold War politics they paid those reparations to Taiwan.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
edit: decided I don't care.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 30, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
With 208 amendments adopted of the 263 considered, the House Armed Services Committee passed the NDAA for FY16 at 4:39am today.

Adam Smith (D-WA) didn't make it all the way.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Joementum posted:

With 208 amendments adopted of the 263 considered, the House Armed Services Committee passed the NDAA for FY16 at 4:39am today.

Adam Smith (D-WA) didn't make it all the way.

Was he beaten by that cane in the background???

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

Yeah, but we should be clear that if those kids ate Obama for lunch, Joe Biden would be President, via the process described in the 25th amendment, so Obama was lying to them.

Obama lied, children('s dreams) died.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

UberJew posted:

Honestly the reconstruction amendments were such a dramatic change of form and nature of the US government that it wouldn't be unreasonable to point to 1870 or so and say that's the start of continuous government, but I think that still leaves it as one of the oldest governments.

The Netherlands would like a word with you. We've had our current system (constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary democracy) since 1814.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Besides disposable income, are there institutional/systemic barriers to African-Americans arming themselves with guns right now?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "Serious diplomacy, not macho personal smear, is what we need. Congrats on Ur new born. May U and Ur family enjoy him in peace." ~ Javad Zarif, Foreign Minister of the Islamic Republic of Iran, to Senator Tom Cotton.

Senator Cotton yesterday challenged Zarif to debate him on the US Constitution.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Japan already paid war reparations to pretty much every Asian country except for China (in part due to Cold War politics they paid those reparations to Taiwan.)

Japan paid reparations, or at least large amounts of economic aid and low interest loans even if not marked specifically as reparations, to Red China as well as Taiwan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93Japan_relations#1960s

quote:

Tatsunosuke Takashi, member of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) and of the Diet and Director of the Economic Planning Agency of the Japanese, went to the PRC in order to sign a memorandum that would further the trade relations between the two countries, better known as the Liao-Takasaki Agreement. Under its terms, Chinese purchases of industrial plants were to be financed partly through medium-term credits from Japan Export-Import Bank (JEXIM). The accord also permitted the PRC to open a trade mission in Tokyo and in 1963 paved the way for Japanese government approval of the export to mainland China of a synthetic textile manufacturing plant valued at around US$ 20 million, guaranteed by the bank. Subsequent protest from the ROC caused Japan to shelve further deferred-payment plant exports. The PRC reacted to this change by downgrading its Japan trade and intensified propaganda attacks against Japan as a "running dog" (Chinese:"走狗") of the United States.

Abe sucks, yeah, but lots of people seem to have a hair-trigger reflex of calling Japan a nation of revisionist war criminal Nazis basically any time the country is mentioned. I think basically every single East Asian country would be considered ultranationalist by most people's standards, Japan is probably the least bad of them, or at least is no worse than the others. From what I can tell the country is pretty racist but actually fairly non-nationalistic, even in TYOOL 2015 after years of lurching to the right a dude lit himself on fire in front of parliament to protest the proposed constitution change

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 30, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

richardfun posted:

The Netherlands would like a word with you. We've had our current system (constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary democracy) since 1814.

Yeah, but the U.S. System dates from 1789. Reconstruction was a big deal, but it was achieved via processes and legal foundations that were already present in the 1789 constitution. There's a very, very solid case that Lincoln and Johnson at times operated outside the law, but they are generally given a pass since they were in the process of putting down a well organized, massive, violent failed rebellion against the legitimate law of the land.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If Operation Jade Helm 15 is a plot by Obama to use the military to overthrow the US government, what was the goal of Operations Jade Helm 1 through 14?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Pinky and the Brain syndrome, big government is just not competent enough for it to work!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Serious diplomacy, not macho personal smear, is what we need. Congrats on Ur new born. May U and Ur family enjoy him in peace." ~ Javad Zarif, Foreign Minister of the Islamic Republic of Iran, to Senator Tom Cotton.

Senator Cotton yesterday challenged Zarif to debate him on the US Constitution.

He went after him following that as well. It's pretty funny how these "extremists" in Iran always seem to be the adult in the room as one person said when dealing with him.

https://twitter.com/SenTomCotton/status/593522940928372737

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Joementum posted:

If Operation Jade Helm 15 is a plot by Obama to use the military to overthrow the US government, what was the goal of Operations Jade Helm 1 through 14?

now you're catching on

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Joementum posted:

Surely Jade Helm has something to do with the great Yellow Menace? I mean, doesn't all jade come from, like, China or something? Is Jade Helm how Obama will finally pacify America to hand it over to his Chinese overlords?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The mushroom cloud creating a hammer and sickle in the clouds is a nice touch.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Why would Obama nuke New York?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You just need to see all the clues, man. Then it becomes obvious what's really going on.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/extended-interviews/xjg4x6/exclusive-judith-miller-extended-interview

Stewart's interview with Judith Miller last night is worth a watch, if you missed it. Probably the best interview with her so far.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rexicon1 posted:

Isn't that a picture from World in Conflict?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

gradenko_2000 posted:

Besides disposable income, are there institutional/systemic barriers to African-Americans arming themselves with guns right now?

Are drug possession charges felonies? If so I am pretty sure there are laws on the books that prohibit felons from owning guns for life. But just given the disproportionate # of AAs incarcerated at one point in their lives I imagine that plays a bit.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

Honestly it's probably time for a rebranding after 14 iterations. I propose changing the name to operation Pen 15

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Are drug possession charges felonies? If so I am pretty sure there are laws on the books that prohibit felons from owning guns for life. But just given the disproportionate # of AAs incarcerated at one point in their lives I imagine that plays a bit.

It depends on the amount of drugs. A gram of weed is a misdemeanor (until the cop finds a pack of ziplocks in your house and upgrades you to distribution). A kilogram is a felony.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

He went after him following that as well. It's pretty funny how these "extremists" in Iran always seem to be the adult in the room as one person said when dealing with him.

https://twitter.com/SenTomCotton/status/593522940928372737

You'd think Ivy leagues would start telling their Congressional alumni to shut up and stop making people question the quality of the education received.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Disproportionately high rate of convictions that bar you from gun ownership even if just from cohabitation with someone who has a conviction, lack of access or less access to places where you can safely practice due to more often living in urban areas, generally more strict gun control laws in urban areas, most notably in some areas with a very large black population, such as Chicago, DC, or New York state, and more. I've been in more than a fair share of gun shops that were pretty open about being racist, even if using quasi-coded terms, and I can't imagine it's super welcoming to go into a gun shop like that. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of other stuff, including internal social pressure. But mostly guns worth a poo poo cost money, and all the steps it takes to acquire one legally can mean a lot of hoops to jump through, depending on where you live.

Plus, a white person growing up on a farm who learns about guns in a more positive way, such as plinking tin cans with grandpa or shooting the coyotes loving with their animals may have a bit of a more positive idea about guns than someone whose experience with guns growing up stems largely from interactions with either police or criminals.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha The National Review is daydreaming about hypothetical Hillary scandals since nothing they are trying is working.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

gradenko_2000 posted:

The tendency for cops to shoot black people if they have anything that even resembles a gun because "they felt threatened"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_John_Crawford_III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Tamir_Rice

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What the gently caress?

quote:

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) will find only one path to victory in 2016: through his brother, former President George W. Bush. And it will all come down to one issue: Was George W. Bush justified in invading Iraq in 2003, or not? That will be the purpose and legacy of Jeb as president; to vindicate, to legitimize and to justify the invasion of Iraq. If he does that, he will be remembered as the singular great man of our times; the one who stayed the course, the one upon whom history turns.

But first he must win the New Hampshire primary. From there on out, it will be a cakewalk to the Republican nomination, and a useful and creative one as well for the Democrats who will likely lose anyway in 2016. But they will be free to start again from scratch with the dynamic and able recent entry into the national field, former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley.

To win, Jeb Bush must not hedge. He must openly and forcefully show his hindsight support for the Iraq invasion. He might even get his brother to stump for him in the respectful Veterans of Foreign Wars halls up here in the northern hills of New Hampshire as former Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) has done recently in Littleton, N.H., far from the maddening crowd of reporters and activists in Manchester and Concord.

Hey Jeb, uh...don't listen to this guy.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

zoux posted:

What the gently caress?

:getin:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rexicon1 posted:

Same reason he nuked Charleston.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

PupsOfWar posted:

Same reason he nuked Charleston.

The pretentiousness of Hominy Grill?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

What the gently caress?

The modifier "prize-winning" without any specifics almost always translates to "terrible".

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Gravel Gravy posted:

The pretentiousness of Hominy Grill?

White people live in Charleston. White people also live in New York. Thus, in order to Kill All Whities, both places must be nuked.

Lots of black people also live in these cities, but due to the great negro hive-mind they are willing sacrifices in the cause of Racial Holy War.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

What the gently caress?

another zouxpinion

this is Good Advice that is also Cool and Jeb should do this thing

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Haha The National Review is daydreaming about hypothetical Hillary scandals since nothing they are trying is working.

What if we've all got it backwards? What if her conflict of interest vis a vi the Clinton foundation primarily manifested by using the state department to retaliate against people who hosed with the charity?

=P

In all seriousness, conflicts of interest are a thing. But the form they take depends on your motives. Clinton detractors assume a personal greed motive despite no indication that clinton has unmet material desires. They ignore altruistic "save the planet" motives despite Hillary's words and actions that show she harbors those motives.

If you sincerely believe that climate change is a huge problem - so much so that you've spent tens of millions of your own dollars to reforest Africa/sequester carbon - then there would be a temptation to lean on people officially if they are interfering with your sequestration projects.

From Hillary's recent speech to the league of conservation voters:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/12/04/this-one-hillary-quote-about-climate-change-is-very-very-important/

Hillary Clinton posted:

You pushed for and rallied behind President Obama’s use of the Clean Air Act to set the first ever federal limits on carbon pollution from existing power plants, which are driving the most dangerous effects of climate change. As you know so well, power plants account for about 40 percent of the carbon pollution in the United States, and therefore must be addressed. And the unprecedented action that President Obama has taken must be protected at all cost.

So this is an exciting time. From the administration’s announcement last month of a $3 billion commitment to the global green climate fund, to that new joint announcement with China, to new rules under consideration for ozone, we continue to push forward. But that is just the beginning of what is needed.

It's also logically consistent with her position on nuclear energy though she proceeds with prudent caution in her rhetoric given that that's an emotional issue for many.

http://neinuclearnotes.blogspot.com/2007/03/senator-hillary-clinton-on-nuclear.html?m=1

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

You just need to see all the clues, man. Then it becomes obvious what's really going on.

Clogs? I didn't know my government was secretly pulling the strings in the White House.

Good, we never should've sold New York. All of North America could've been ours! :argh:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

richardfun posted:

Clogs? I didn't know my government was secretly pulling the strings in the White House.

Good, we never should've sold New York. All of North America could've been ours! :argh:

Not in the White House, but Members of Congress did hear from a representative of your government yesterday.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Sometimes I think there is a small chunk of the paranoid brain that is like the sign maker trapped in the sign factory and can influence how dumb the conspiracy theory is. WE NEED HELP IN HERE FOLKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

What the gently caress?

Is hat some protege of Bill Krystal?

• Locked thread