Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Codependent Poster posted:

A big part of Danny Rand's character is he's a spoiled rich white kid who is viewed as an outsider and told that he doesn't belong in the places he frequents most: K'un-Lun and Harlem.

Neither of these elements would be lost with an Asian-American actor.

edit: Except the white part, obviously. Kinda.

e X fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Jaime King in Bulletproof Monk.
I would be all for Jaime King as the lead in Iron Fist.

SMP
May 5, 2009

A big part of Danny Rand's character is he's a spoiled rich white kid who is viewed as an outsider and told that he doesn't belong in the places he frequents most: K'un-Lun and Harlem.

Asian-Americans can very easily be viewed as outsiders in Asia (or fictional Asia in this case). The cultural differences make themselves very apparent. He doesn't have to be white, it's more important he's American.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'd still like Michael Jai White.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So then why don't we make Shang-Chi white?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey guys guess what is 100% not going to happen?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

So then why don't we make Shang-Chi white?

You seem really smart and like you've got this all figured out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

You seem really smart and like you've got this all figured out.

The point is there is already a character named Shang-Chi out there that Marvel can use, and changing Danny Rand's race is pointless because of Shang-Chi's existence.

But I wouldn't expect forums troll Dan Didio to pass up the opportunity to make a snarky, useless comment.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

For whatever reason when I quickly glanced at this post I read it as Har'lem.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

The point is there is already a character named Shang-Chi out there that Marvel can use, and changing Danny Rand's race is pointless because of Shang-Chi's existence.

But I wouldn't expect forums troll Dan Didio to pass up the opportunity to make a snarky, useless comment.

I guess you are right, there are so many Asian actors in the MCU as it is, it would be really unfair to take away one of the rare roles for a white actor.

And yes, it's not going to happen, but that is a pint of criticism, not one of stolid reiteration.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Turning Danny Rand not-white like it's some sort of solution would just show that Marvel, like most of you, completely misses the point of what's wrong with his backstory.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Medullah posted:

For whatever reason when I quickly glanced at this post I read it as Har'lem.

The final heavenly city.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Aphrodite posted:

Turning Danny Rand not-white like it's some sort of solution would just show that Marvel, like most of you, completely misses the point of what's wrong with his backstory.

It is not about a solution to anything, it's that insisting he can't be anything but a white guy because of backstory reasons is a bullshit.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
There's something neat to be done with someone who looks like a spoiled rich white guy, but actually grew up a minority in rural magic Asia. But I haven't seen that aspect really used, and if they aren't going to do anything with his race then they can pick any race.

Have they said who's playing Fat Cobra?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

Kevin James

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

StumblyWumbly posted:

There's something neat to be done with someone who looks like a spoiled rich white guy, but actually grew up a minority in rural magic Asia. But I haven't seen that aspect really used, and if they aren't going to do anything with his race then they can pick any race.

They haven't even cast the lead yet how would they have said who's playing Fat Cobra? Or if Fat Cobra is even going to be in the show?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really, really hope they adapt the Fraction/Bru stuff. The "Enter the Dragon" stucture is very easy to build a compelling narrative around.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zoux posted:

I really, really hope they adapt the Fraction/Bru stuff. The "Enter the Dragon" stucture is very easy to build a compelling narrative around.

Man, you are straight out of a comic book.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Asians: Only one included. Use sparingly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Man, you are straight out of a comic book.

Which one?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hakkesshu posted:

If they really wanted to do something different they should cast a woman as Iron Fist, because man, erudite millionairess turning into kung fu master has literally never been done before to my knowledge.

Chloe Bennett already has a role in the MCU :(

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe they will adapt Psylocke's storyline but replace her character with Danny Rand. Then everyone can be happy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Aphrodite posted:

His backstory is Orientalism and white guilt.

Actually, let me rephrase: who cares? Nerds are great at picking nits with this shite so long as it results in the same old lily white status quo. It'd be great if their spergish compulsions resulted in better representation instead, no matter what point it misses.

Yeah we can't have more than one of a single type of minority occupying the same franchise. That would be weird.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sorry, are you actually phrasing that as if you're not at the top of that mountain?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm phrasing it as if I don't care.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Danny Rand is like the only white guy in heroes for hire. He's the token character to keep it from looking like the marvel ghetto where they shove the minority characters to forget about.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i kinda wonder if "hey, let's make Iron Fist Asian! Asian people are good at martial arts, right?" might not actually be all that progressive

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SirDan3k posted:

Danny Rand is like the only white guy in heroes for hire. He's the token character to keep it from looking like the marvel ghetto where they shove the minority characters to forget about.

The point of Heroes for Hire is that how well two different people (black guy living in the ghetto/spoiled rich white guy) can be best friends and work together and show that despite their differences they can actually be a team. Getting rid of something that progressive for something else seems like a step backwards.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i kinda wonder if "hey, let's make Iron Fist Asian! Asian people are good at martial arts, right?" might not actually be all that progressive

I'm actually pretty sick of every Asian in comics being a ninja of some kind, but I'd like more Asian representation in film/tv/whatever. If we could get some that aren't ninjas it'd be rad, but I'll take anything at this point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is it more progressive to cast JJ as a black woman or to keep her white and in an interracial relationship with a black man?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

As someone mentioned earlier, by this logic we should make Shang-Chi white.

It's not so much "Asian people are good at martial arts." A litany of MCU character are good at martial arts (and let's just take a moment right now to reiterate that they're all white martial artists, barring two characters specifically created for a TV show). It's more "This entire setting, corner, and mythos that the Iron Fist franchise is about to bring into the MCU is steeped from head to toe in Orientalism and fantasy Asian elements, but the leading hero has gotta be white. As usual."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

As someone mentioned earlier, by this logic we should make Shang-Chi white.

i think you're operating under a definition of "logic" different than the one i'm familiar with

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

You're saying that an Asian character being good at martial arts is stereotypical and thereby offensive. Shang-Chi is an Asian character who is good at martial arts. Why are the folks who are so very concerned about Asian kung fu stereotypes not the least bit concerned about his race?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

You're saying that an Asian character being good at martial arts is stereotypical and thereby offensive. Shang-Chi is an Asian character who is good at martial arts. Why are the folks who are so very concerned about Asian kung fu stereotypes not the least bit concerned about his race?

because Shang Chi is a character who has always been Asian, which is different then looking at a character and going "i dunno, a white martial artist? we should probably change him to an Asian dude, that makes more sense"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

But the whole point is that a character always being a race is not a good reason for us to keep them as that race for no good reason. This is why it's utterly bloody fantastic that they changed the Mandarin's background for IM3.

And literally no one has said that second thing. Not a single person.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

But the whole point is that a character always being a race is not a good reason for us to keep them as that race for no good reason.

look man i just don't think a white Shang Chi is a great idea, call me crazy

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

And some folks don't think a white Danny Rand is a good idea.

Glad we agree.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Madkal posted:

The point of Heroes for Hire is that how well two different people (black guy living in the ghetto/spoiled rich white guy) can be best friends and work together and show that despite their differences they can actually be a team. Getting rid of something that progressive for something else seems like a step backwards.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Glad we agree.

don't worry, we don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Changing Rand to Asian isn't about making more sense. I haven't seen any real argument for that point. All I have ever seen is some form of argument that perhaps the story of a great white "chosen one-esque" type character to a mystical Asian kung fu people, who also excels greater at their own ways than most of them do, isn't the most progressive story we could be telling in 2015. It's a tired trope, kind of born out of a time when people didn't care about representing minorities properly in fiction, being made at a time when we are finally seeing greater diversity in casting.