Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah all the pros on Twitter were saying he was doing the same thing as stealing money from other competitors by cheating that bad, and they are right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I just did a draft. It reminded me why I hate drafting. God what a miserable way to play.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

I just did a draft. It reminded me why I hate drafting. God what a miserable way to play.

lol. Real constructive topic for the magic thread tonight. Also dead wrong so good job I guess.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

suicidesteve posted:

Without any real details, saying things like this honestly just sounds like you're salty about a loss.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

lol. Real constructive topic for the magic thread tonight. Also dead wrong so good job I guess.

I hate when my opinions are wrong.

Jabor posted:

Without any real details, saying things like this honestly just sounds like you're salty about a loss.

Not so much the loss, I just didn't really get to play. It's pretty miserable when I finally get time to play online for the first time in months and I don't actually get to play the game.

At the end of pack 1, I had 9 playable white cards. I got like, 2 more white cards in pack 2 because apparently the person next to me was white even though I passed 1 playable white card. I started picking up some green, which promptly disappeared halfway through the pack. So I had to splash Sarkhan's Rage and Pyrotechnics just to get to 23 playables. Also because they're pretty good.

Game 1 I mull to 6, keep 2 lands, and draw 2 more along with every 5 and 6 cost card in my deck. Game 2 I mull to 6, keep 2 lands, miss on land for 3 turns, start playing the game at 12 life thanks to a turn 2 Frost Walker, almost stabilize, and die to a dragon that I could have dealt with if I wasn't at 3 life. This is the story of most of the MTGO drafts I've ever done.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

I hate when my opinions are wrong.

Not so much the loss, I just didn't really get to play. It's pretty miserable when I finally get time to play online for the first time in months and I don't actually get to play the game.

At the end of pack 1, I had 9 playable white cards. I got like, 2 more white cards in pack 2 because apparently the person next to me was white even though I passed 1 playable white card. I started picking up some green, which promptly disappeared halfway through the pack. So I had to splash Sarkhan's Rage and Pyrotechnics just to get to 23 playables. Also because they're pretty good.

Game 1 I mull to 6, keep 2 lands, and draw 2 more along with every 5 and 6 cost card in my deck. Game 2 I mull to 6, keep 2 lands, miss on land for 3 turns, start playing the game at 12 life thanks to a turn 2 Frost Walker, almost stabilize, and die to a dragon that I could have dealt with if I wasn't at 3 life. This is the story of most of the MTGO drafts I've ever done.

Why are you playing single elim drafts anyway? I've been way happier with MtGO since I started playing Swiss drafts exclusively, and honestly, I think I've improved my drafting skills much faster than when I played in 8-4s or (gasp) 4-3-2-2s since I get a lot more games in. It also usually solves the "don't get to play" problem where you just get mana screwed/flooded out of the first round despite having a good deck. Except when it happens to you all three rounds, but that really is exceedingly rare.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Way to be butt hurt about variance and your own inability to read signals. Congrats on that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
If you want to just play and get free wins just draft at FNM, really. The average store isn't all that competitive since half of any given pod are random dudes who barely even know how the drafting process works. Now, that obviously sucks if you're trying to practice for a GP or something, but that's what MODO is for.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

If you want to just play and get free wins just draft at FNM, really. The average store isn't all that competitive since half of any given pod are random dudes who barely even know how the drafting process works. Now, that obviously sucks if you're trying to practice for a GP or something, but that's what MODO is for.

Drafts go off at the same time as legacy at my store and I usually don't have time to draft after. I did win the last draft I did though, and yeah, half of them were first time drafters who got knocked out in the first round.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Why are you playing single elim drafts anyway? I've been way happier with MtGO since I started playing Swiss drafts exclusively, and honestly, I think I've improved my drafting skills much faster than when I played in 8-4s or (gasp) 4-3-2-2s since I get a lot more games in. It also usually solves the "don't get to play" problem where you just get mana screwed/flooded out of the first round despite having a good deck. Except when it happens to you all three rounds, but that really is exceedingly rare.

Like I said, I haven't played in months. I jumped in whichever one was firing first, which was a 4-3-2-2. I think I used up all my luck a few weekends ago and it's coming back to bite me now.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I was pretty good at triple Khans, okay at FKK, and I've been terrible at DDF for whatever reason. I've been extra salty about it because my best pull since my 9th Flooded Strand :smaug: halfway through FKK has been a foil OG Silumgar, meanwhile we've been getting around one insane pull a week per FNM for about two months ranging from foil fetches and planeswalkers to someone who pulled three Polluted Deltas in the last FKK draft. I'm beginning to suspect that my increased involvement in judging both the standard and draft FNMs is tanking my draft skills, I started occasionally judging and passed my L1 during FKK and have been alternating running the draft or running both since DDF hit. At least I'm getting paid above minimum wage in store credit to do it :shepspends:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BXCX posted:

I was pretty good at triple Khans, okay at FKK, and I've been terrible at DDF for whatever reason. I've been extra salty about it because my best pull since my 9th Flooded Strand :smaug: halfway through FKK has been a foil OG Silumgar, meanwhile we've been getting around one insane pull a week per FNM for about two months ranging from foil fetches and planeswalkers to someone who pulled three Polluted Deltas in the last FKK draft. I'm beginning to suspect that my increased involvement in judging both the standard and draft FNMs is tanking my draft skills, I started occasionally judging and passed my L1 during FKK and have been alternating running the draft or running both since DDF hit. At least I'm getting paid above minimum wage in store credit to do it :shepspends:

I've never been great at drafting or anything, but I'm definitely not "consistently 0/2 match 1 drop" bad as my experience with MTGO would seem to indicate. IRL even with competent drafters I've made it to the 3rd round/won 4 of my last 4 drafts. It's especially annoying because I actually do like drafting contrary to my original salt-post but I swear I lose 2/3 of my games online to variance.

Also in my last draft my friend opened Ugin pack 2 and got passed Whisperwood. The biggest value card I've gotten was a 4th pick rare draft Collected Company in a pack full of cards that were off color and bad.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like when complaints about Magic boil down to "I swear the laws of statistics don't apply to me!"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What weird format are you drafting where you open FRF pack 2?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

FWIW the average skill level of an elimination MODO draft is significantly higher than the average stores draft.

edit: I suppose bad players could randomly be joining elimination events in droves, but the prize structure doesn't reward that behavior so I wouldn't expect it.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 30, 2015

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Yeah well last night IRL I drafted a sweet UB deck, got paired against the other real deck round 1 (he had two Sidisis) and lost round 3 to a stupid 5c dragons deck

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Yeah well last night IRL I drafted a sweet UB deck, got paired against the other real deck round 1 (he had two Sidisis) and lost round 3 to a stupid 5c dragons deck

poo poo like this happens. My store drafts for game day since not everyone who plays there can splurge on tier 1 Standard decks, and I ended up winning the whole thing with one of the shittiest 3 color abominations I've seen come out of DDF.

We played four rounds. I got the bye round 1. I played one of the less experienced players round 2. My round 3 opponent (who had the real deck at the table) got flooded two games in a row. And my 4 round opponent wanted to draw for more packs, and I ended up with higher tie breakers.

No real skill needed, whatsoever. :shrug:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Legacy players, I have made my first legacy deck ever (It's Mono Blue OmniTell, after seeing it do well in GP Kyoto and I had a couple of pieces already) I have all the parts (Shows, Omnis) apart from FoWs, which are too expensive for me at this point, is there anything I can use that is a relatively decent replacement for it? Daze, maybe? I know there isn't anything that completely replaces it, but I want to play it now without having to proxy them and buy them one at a time in the future.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Samael posted:

Legacy players, I have made my first legacy deck ever (It's Mono Blue OmniTell, after seeing it do well in GP Kyoto and I had a couple of pieces already) I have all the parts (Shows, Omnis) apart from FoWs, which are too expensive for me at this point, is there anything I can use that is a relatively decent replacement for it? Daze, maybe? I know there isn't anything that completely replaces it, but I want to play it now without having to proxy them and buy them one at a time in the future.

Misdirection, Pact of Negation, Daze, Disrupting Shoal...are the closest things out there, I guess.

However, these all are orders of magnitude worse than Force. There is no replacement for Force of Will.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Misdirection, Pact of Negation, Daze, Disrupting Shoal...are the closest things out there, I guess.

However, these all are orders of magnitude worse than Force. There is no replacement for Force of Will.

Oh I know Madmarker. I don't expect there to be a replacement at all. I am buying them, it's more of a case of something that just fill in as a suitable counterspell while playing casual legacy with friends. Misdirection seems fine, plus they are pretty cheap because of conspiracy.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i'd play misdirection in omni-tell to protect the combo. maybe run some additional one mana counters to fight noncounterspell stuff. another upside of misdirection is it'll probably develop habits closest to force in terms of deciding what cards you want to pitch.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

black potus posted:

i'd play misdirection in omni-tell to protect the combo. maybe run some additional one mana counters to fight noncounterspell stuff. another upside of misdirection is it'll probably develop habits closest to force in terms of deciding what cards you want to pitch.

Agreed, Misdirection is the closest in both form and function to Force for a combo deck.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

AlternateNu posted:

poo poo like this happens. My store drafts for game day since not everyone who plays there can splurge on tier 1 Standard decks, and I ended up winning the whole thing with one of the shittiest 3 color abominations I've seen come out of DDF.

We played four rounds. I got the bye round 1. I played one of the less experienced players round 2. My round 3 opponent (who had the real deck at the table) got flooded two games in a row. And my 4 round opponent wanted to draw for more packs, and I ended up with higher tie breakers.

No real skill needed, whatsoever. :shrug:

Yeah I can laugh about it in retrospect but I do go into immediate tilt at the prospect of losing to someone playing poo poo like Sight of the Scalelords

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Playing draft, even single elim, is fun as hell in person, but manages to be totally insufferable on MODO. This is because MODO is garbage and not worth playing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jabor posted:

What weird format are you drafting where you open FRF pack 2?

DTK-FRF-KTK? :yikes:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Yeah I can laugh about it in retrospect but I do go into immediate tilt at the prospect of losing to someone playing poo poo like Sight of the Scalelords

I actually like that card if you have the big-butt base for it. :ohdear:

It works great in U/G if you can get ahold of Gurmag Drowner, Aerie Bowman, Updraft Elemental, and Scaleguard Sentinels with a couple decent dragons.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

In the ongoing adventures of MODO programming, WotC is hiring a few devs. It's all fairly blah except for this one position

http://company.wizards.com/about/careers/software-developer-temporary-job-renton-wa-us?careers-view=1

It's a temporary software dev position. Explicitly. Yet, they're looking for someone with 7 years of experience in a shitload of fields. A person that actually fit these requirements could make 150k+/year minimum in a full time salary position, but WotC wants to hire them as a temp. Amazon, right next door, is paying 150-250 starting salary for an employee like that.

Is it any surprise that the product is poo poo when you'd have to be an idiot to take the jobs they offer?

http://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Wizards-of-the-Coast-EI_IE4718.11,31.htm

Just look at the reviews of working there.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 30, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I don't think we can state enough how stupid Wizards is when it comes to technology. How can you hire someone with all that experience and knowledge as a temporary position? And how can you pay absolute poo poo for it on top of that?

edit: on the subject of MTGO sucking hot poo poo, Sundering Titan sometimes forgets that shocklands and dual lands have multiple types and doesn't let you blow up all the required land.

Example, my opponent has 7 lands, which include a hallowed fountain, a godless shrine, a swamp, and an island.

Clicking on Hallowed Fountain and Godless Shrine deny me the ability to click on Island or Swamp, and vice versa.

:thumbsup:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 30, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Because they still think of modo as a cute little side-project instead of a real product.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Count Bleck posted:

I don't think we can state enough how stupid Wizards is when it comes to technology. How can you hire someone with all that experience and knowledge as a temporary position? And how can you pay absolute poo poo for it on top of that?

Because you get to "live the dream" of working for the company that makes that game you love! That's worth a 50% pay cut from what you'd be making otherwise, right?

Look at how many of their employees are former pro-players, and not just on the technical side. When you hire people who love the game unquestioningly, rather than people who have the actual business skills you need, this is the result.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Because they still think of modo as a cute little side-project instead of a real product.

A cute little side project funded by the military to make the fastest possible profitable method to cause balding and shortened lifespan for all parties directly involved.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My fondest hope is that some day there's a MTGO source code leak so we can see how bad it actually is.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Minority Deport posted:

They finished running the investigations of those guys DQ'd at the Pro Tour.

Stephen Speck, the guy who got caught yoinking his opening 7 cards, is banned for 36 months. This was that dude who consistently got ridiculous results out of Amulet Bloom, if you remember him.

Filipe Valvida, who added a scryland back into his hand after an End Hostilities, is banned for 6 months.

they should cut these peoples' hands off so they can never play wizard poker again

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Skyl3lazer posted:

In the ongoing adventures of MODO programming, WotC is hiring a few devs. It's all fairly blah except for this one position

http://company.wizards.com/about/careers/software-developer-temporary-job-renton-wa-us?careers-view=1

It's a temporary software dev position. Explicitly. Yet, they're looking for someone with 7 years of experience in a shitload of fields. A person that actually fit these requirements could make 150k+/year minimum in a full time salary position, but WotC wants to hire them as a temp. Amazon, right next door, is paying 150-250 starting salary for an employee like that.

Is it any surprise that the product is poo poo when you'd have to be an idiot to take the jobs they offer?

http://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Wizards-of-the-Coast-EI_IE4718.11,31.htm

Just look at the reviews of working there.

Working on MTGO for a small time (like a year) is on my bucket list. I just gotta see how bad it is.

I do feel bad for their digital department, though. From what I can tell they get a shoestring budget and wizard's (from what I hear, garbage) management won't give them the resources they need to make a functioning piece of software.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kabanaw posted:

Working on MTGO for a small time (like a year) is on my bucket list. I just gotta see how bad it is.

I do feel bad for their digital department, though. From what I can tell they get a shoestring budget and wizard's (from what I hear, garbage) management won't give them the resources they need to make a functioning piece of software.

As long as the goal is to make MTGO work from whatever design direction paper magic decides to make without any oversight, it will always be poo poo.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

they should cut these peoples' hands off so they can never play wizard poker again

you can actually get someone to handle your cards for you if for whatever reason you can't do it yourself

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If I was interested in buying into UR Twin, what are the cards I should buy now vs. what I should wait for reprints? I'm currently looking at a playset of Snapcaster Mage and a number of shock lands. I'm planning on waiting for Zen fetches in return to Zendikar. What are cards that definitely won't be reprinted in MM15, due to being out of the reprinted sets in MM15?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShaneB posted:

If I was interested in buying into UR Twin, what are the cards I should buy now vs. what I should wait for reprints? I'm currently looking at a playset of Snapcaster Mage and a number of shock lands. I'm planning on waiting for Zen fetches in return to Zendikar. What are cards that definitely won't be reprinted in MM15, due to being out of the reprinted sets in MM15?

Twin is reprinted in MM15 according to some 'leaks', and this is covering Alara, New Phyrexia, Lorywn, Zendikar, and Mirrodin, I think?

So snapcaster being reprinted is out of the question as that's from Innistrad, and the Shocklands are going nowhere but up from here so there's also that.

So yeah get those Snaps and Shocks.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

Twin is reprinted in MM15 according to some 'leaks', and this is covering Alara, New Phyrexia, Lorywn, Zendikar, and Mirrodin, I think?

So snapcaster being reprinted is out of the question as that's from Innistrad, and the Shocklands are going nowhere but up from here so there's also that.

So yeah get those Snaps and Shocks.

Anything else worth snagging out of the decklist?

I'm a somewhat new player so I don't know the timeline of all the other cards in the deck. I know I could do the research myself but I'm hoping someone with the knowledge can just chime in much more quickly than the time I would spend.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Count Bleck posted:

8th to scars block are up for reprint.

I agree on snaps and shocks. I'd also look out for sb/maybeboard cards from innistrad to ktk, like counterflux, keranos, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ShaneB posted:

Snaps and shocks are going nowhere but up. A reprint on snapcaster is probably 2 years away at best, shocks is probay like 4 or 5 years away.

• Locked thread