Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kilonum posted:

Like gutbomb said, rFactor 2. Original rF has a pretty baller mod that has all the cars and tracks from the 1979 F1 season.

I want to mess around with F1 as well but man rFactor 2 just looks ugly in ever screenshot I've seen. Is it noticeably bad like this in game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

KillHour posted:

Which is probably why when they had that nerdy iRacing dude drive a real F1 car, they found his lines were perfect, but he would still be (slightly) too conservative going into corners.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/02/iracing-star-gets-chance-to-try-real-thing-at-road-atlanta/

Didn't help that he was sick when he went over for it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Largepotato posted:

Didn't help that he was sick when he went over for it.

Also I'd be conservative too if I was driving somebody else's car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vando posted:

Also I'd be conservative too if I was driving somebody else's car.

All rental cars are the fastest car in the world. :colbert:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Goetta posted:

I want to mess around with F1 as well but man rFactor 2 just looks ugly in ever screenshot I've seen. Is it noticeably bad like this in game?

In motion you don't notice that doesn't look amazing because your focus is on the driving. Also many of the tracks out for it are miss made by non-pros so the textures used are lower resolution or whatever. Again, not did you notice when you are racing. Rfactor2 is really good.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's really quite decent for a Dirt game. As has been said it's not 100% sim like akin to RBR, but it's definitely a nice stopgap between the arcadey rally games and what lacked in RBR. There are some fixes for force feedback wheels in the steam community hub which I'm gonna have to try out.

If there's one initial qualm I have right off the bat, it's that in the cockpit view the wheel is spazzing all over the place when it's neutral in my hands - kinda throws off your perception of whether or not the car is sliding out from under you. Temp fix is to just drive in the hood view, but I still feel the wheel ffb isn't quite right.

Not long to PCars either. :getin:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey so I already own a wheelstand pro for my flight sim stuff. Can I clamp the G27 to it without needing a different plate?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

KillHour posted:

Which is probably why when they had that nerdy iRacing dude drive a real F1 car, they found his lines were perfect, but he would still be (slightly) too conservative going into corners.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/02/iracing-star-gets-chance-to-try-real-thing-at-road-atlanta/

Did you even read the thing you posted? He was actually just given a shot in a star mazda single seater, not a real F1 car... there's a huge difference there actually.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

real_scud posted:

Patch just got posted for Dirt:Rally that fixes the co-driver and now it's a shitton of fun. Holy crap I can see myself spending a bunch of time with this.

For reals. Even the pacenotes are amazing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looks like that kills my Wednesday then.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Jehde posted:

For reals. Even the pacenotes are amazing.

Yeah, finally getting pacenotes and my co-driver turns this from "Really fun racing game" to "I must stop or else this is going to consume my whole day."

Also, I was super proud- on the monthly, I was 17 seconds off of the world record for one stage. On others, 1:50 off. Overall I seem to be a good ~2m behind.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
so yeah once the website stops suckin dongs and lets you guys link your steam accounts join https://www.dirtgame.com/leagues/league/13996/dirtygoons and we can do stupid things i guess

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Does PCARS support league functions like leaderboards?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I still can't get over how great Dirt Rally is. This game is such a fantastic surprise. Rally fans really need to get in on this.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

Does PCARS support league functions like leaderboards?

It has leaderboards for time trials and driver network "community challenge" events. I've not seen any actual league specific stuff announced.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

OhsH posted:

so yeah once the website stops suckin dongs and lets you guys link your steam accounts join https://www.dirtgame.com/leagues/league/13996/dirtygoons and we can do stupid things i guess

Who the balls thought a night race rain in Wales was a good idea?

We're all gonna die.

Oh well, at least the stage before that(Bronfelen) I don't think I'll be beaten, unless I'm actually terrible(I'm probably terrible).

Edit: Oh, and if you want to feel awful, here's a video from some guy on Reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jey7s4O3i0

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 30, 2015

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Brownie posted:

Did you even read the thing you posted? He was actually just given a shot in a star mazda single seater, not a real F1 car... there's a huge difference there actually.

If you squint really hard they totally look like the same thing. :v:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Why is the clutch in Assetto Corsa still stupid?

Resting your foot on the clutch should not make the engine spaz the gently caress out. Seriously.

It's a 'thing' that's been there from the god drat beginning. loving fix it already.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Ziploc posted:

Why is the clutch in Assetto Corsa still stupid?

Resting your foot on the clutch should not make the engine spaz the gently caress out. Seriously.

It's a 'thing' that's been there from the god drat beginning. loving fix it already.

That burns out real clutches... so don't do it?

Or recalibrate your clutch so its first few percent of travel aren't recognized by the game. I do that for top and bottom of the clutch, and for max throttle because I still need to replace or overhaul my CSR pedals.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
It can wear out throwout bearings.

I'm not putting enough pressure to cause the clutch to slip. Just keeping my foot there between gear changes. It's a normal thing to do. But Assetto Corsa just bugs the gently caress out.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

quaunaut posted:

Who the balls thought a night race rain in Wales was a good idea?

We're all gonna die.

Hi its me.

I crashed on stage 2 and i went back to menu and it gave me a 30 min stage, so uh, ill see you guys for the next one.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So there is a daily goony challenge for Dirt Rally? I may have to try this after all.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Still can't link my steam and codemasters accounts ffffff :negative:

e: wait now it's fixed yessss

Vando fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 30, 2015

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

OhsH posted:

Hi its me.

I crashed on stage 2 and i went back to menu and it gave me a 30 min stage, so uh, ill see you guys for the next one.

Yeah, I saw that and was like "Wow that's quite excessive." If you know the steps that came to that you should probably report it.

Ziploc posted:

So there is a daily goony challenge for Dirt Rally? I may have to try this after all.

I think you set it up however you like? Currently it seems to be less than daily.

Vando posted:

Still can't link my steam and codemasters accounts ffffff :negative:

e: wait now it's fixed yessss

Yeah, it was weird for me, I kept trying to link and kept getting errors. Went to try again last night, and it was already linked o.O

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
G27 came in. It's slow to turn. What setting eases up on the overall tension?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
The developers put this on their forums last night for wheel settings: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/5814/our-wheel-settings-direct-from-the-car-handling-team

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Disabling center spring was the fix.

And now I get why a wheel owns. I'm 12 seconds off my pace in AC driving the 12C on Spa. Getting used to the brake pedal is difficult.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Getting used to the brake pedal is difficult.

I think you wanna mod the brake pedal by putting a spring or something in it.

Finally managed to link my racenet account, I'll see if I can even finish the goon rally later today.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So rFactor is better to buy off the rFactor side. According to EmptyBox. What about Game Stockcar Extreme? Is it better to buy the Steam version? Or the non-Steam version?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

quaunaut posted:

Yeah, I saw that and was like "Wow that's quite excessive." If you know the steps that came to that you should probably report it.

Crashed the car. Irreparable damage

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm completely sold using a wheel. That fast section right before the tight S that leads to back straight on Spa; I kept wiping out on the entry and now with the wheel I can tell that the front tires lose grip.

loving crazy.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

OhsH posted:

Crashed the car. Irreparable damage

Maybe that's what it does for if it won't let you restart- I hadn't gotten irreparable damage on a online event.

I just finished a stage where I was going so balls to the wall fast I felt more like I was falling down the hill than driving down it.

It was amazing.

Only two stages left and I've fully completed the monthly event! Something tells me I might have to dump this car when I'm done:

Edit: I finished the monthly. My total: 139:51.076, or 2 hours, 19 minutes, and just over 51 seconds. That's 24 stages, same car, no full repair resets- you've gotta keep her running through 24 loving stages. The screenshot above was 2 stages from the end- I bet you money my engine was down at 30 and driveshaft was in the teens by the end.

Loved every second falling down Greece in a crumpled up wad of steel.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 30, 2015

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Stop talking about the Rally game. Makes me want to buy it when I should be saving money!!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I just did the first few stages of the league event, and fuckin' a that second Monte Carlo stage.

I should get a wheel. :smith:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

Stop talking about the Rally game. Makes me want to buy it when I should be saving money!!

It's a thoroughly amazing game and easily beats any other uses for money you might have, including food or rent.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jehde posted:

I think you wanna mod the brake pedal by putting a spring or something in it.

On the MS wheel I had a great experience by cutting chunks out of a stress ball and wedging them behind the pedal. Just experiment to find what you like. About a quarter of a stress ball feels really similar to my Fanatec pedals' load cell stuff.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 30, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
How long are the stages in this thing?

The only kinda bad bit of RBR is that you didn't have at least one ridiculously long stage that would feel like an achivement to get through unscathed at any speed. I had a rally game when I was a kid (Mobil 1 Rally Championship I think?) that had stages that could last 25 minutes, and although that may be a little extreme its surprisingly fun to do, especially if you are a bad driver like I am and end up with only third and fourth gears half-way through said stage... My memory of Dirt 3 was that it seemed like it had promise but most of the stages were less than two minutes long, which kind of goes against the spirit of rallying a bit

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

IceAgeComing posted:

How long are the stages in this thing?

The only kinda bad bit of RBR is that you didn't have at least one ridiculously long stage that would feel like an achivement to get through unscathed at any speed. I had a rally game when I was a kid (Mobil 1 Rally Championship I think?) that had stages that could last 25 minutes, and although that may be a little extreme its surprisingly fun to do, especially if you are a bad driver like I am and end up with only third and fourth gears half-way through said stage... My memory of Dirt 3 was that it seemed like it had promise but most of the stages were less than two minutes long, which kind of goes against the spirit of rallying a bit

Depends. At Open difficulty, stages are supposed to be 3:30-5 minutes long for 4 splits. As you go further, they add more and more- some Clubman ones are 6 splits, and I've since done 8 split stages, which end up around 8-9 minutes long.

However, add in custom events where you can make it even more harrowing? Apparently 15 minute long stages exist. And when the next content update comes out next month, I think one of the outfits said that it comes with longer stages, so who knows.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The stages I've seen so far are everywhere from 3 to 12 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
well i think i know what i'll be buying when my finals are done

• Locked thread