Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm hitting dangerous levels of hype. Over the next several nights I'm going to be playing a 100% playthrough of The Witcher, followed by a 100% playthrough (you know, barring two-act-twos) of TW2, all alongside reading the first two/three book.

Haha noooope. You'll be done right before the game is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So am I seeing this correctly in steam? The bundle for the DLC pass + preorder is actually more expensive than purchasing them individually by like $5-$6? Or is there something I missed?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

black.lion posted:

This is what I'm going by

Ignore that, you'll be fine. That site wants you to download the "latest CPU drivers" and the "latest Free Disk Space drivers". It's a snake-oil site designed to prey on people who aren't computer experts.

If you want more reassurance, here are some more in-depth benchmarks.
Here's the 2500k versus an i5 4570s (a slightly slower version of your processor). Note that the 4570s beats the 2500k in almost every single benchmark, and as I pointed out, your 4570 non-S is even faster.

And here's the 4570s compared to the other minimum spec CPU, the AMD Phenom II X4 940.

Honestly, the minimum CPU requirements are a bit of a joke. Their minimum Intel processor is 50-100% faster than the minimum AMD processor.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Ice Fist posted:

So am I seeing this correctly in steam? The bundle for the DLC pass + preorder is actually more expensive than purchasing them individually by like $5-$6? Or is there something I missed?

Looks that way ($7). The pre-order 20% off isn't applied on the bundle.

Valve does this poo poo all the time though.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I bought a 970 today and it came with a code for a free copy. I used it too so I guess the promotion isn't quite over yet.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

Daric posted:

I bought a 970 today and it came with a code for a free copy. I used it too so I guess the promotion isn't quite over yet.

Ive been looking at some of those deals. What site you got it from? Im in need of upgrading my gpu before I can get the game so might as well get the game for free.

SkyEnzo fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 30, 2015

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Ice Fist posted:

I'd guess it's not applying the 10% discount for the game to the bundle. Sneaky Gaben.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
So right near the beginning of Witcher 1 the King of the Wild Hunt seems to make an incredibly cryptic reference on how he's going to take Ciri away from Geralt. Geralt doesn't get it because he has no idea who Ciri is at that point or what the hell the king is talking about. Then he goes and does just what he told Geralt he would do and it's a plot point in Witcher 3. :psyduck:

Elukka fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 30, 2015

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Elukka posted:

So right near the beginning of Witcher 1 the King of the Wild Hunt seems to make an incredibly cryptic reference on how he's going to take Ciri away from Geralt. Geralt doesn't get it because he has no idea who Ciri is at that point or what the hell the king is talking about. Then he goes and does just what he told Geralt he would do and it's a plot point in Witcher 3. :psyduck:

I'm really interested to see if there's anything about Jacques with the Hunt in III, and by extension anything about you having potentially kicked the King's rear end in I.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
Super excited about W3, been waiting for this game since I finished W2.
Good news is that I've worked enough overtime and my boss wants me to take some time off before summer, so I've got the 19-26 off. So gonna be a lazy rear end in a top hat and just sit and play. Tho I am expecting that the 19th/20th the steam servers might be hosed.

I managed to loose my old save. What was the link to the site with the saves? Looking for a Iorveth save.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

RandallODim posted:

I'm really interested to see if there's anything about Jacques with the Hunt in III, and by extension anything about you having potentially kicked the King's rear end in I.

The King of the Hunt wanted to take Jacques' soul. Presumably, it has something to do with the fact that he had Elder blood but I don't see how taking his soul is going to help with the King's plans.

Another thing has been bugging me. The kingslayer group had three people: Letho, Serrit and Auckes. They only mention there being Letho, Serrit and Auckes. But we still haven't established who the first would-be assassin of Foltest was. He was a witcher too but those three are the only ones mentioned in that group and witchers aren't so common that they just hired one to off Foltest. So who was the witcher?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Well I'm officially at peak hype for this game. Its everything I want in an RPG and I can pick it up at midnight on my birthday. I'm so careful about managing my expectations but I've set myself up for a massive disappointment on this one if it doesn't deliver.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

Would I be able to play on high settings with a gtx 960 4gb?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fosson posted:

The original game I played on normal and it still felt at times like Baldur's Gate hard. Like you really had to read books, find potions and oils, and prepare for a fight. It was almost 8 years ago playing The Witcher, and all flaws aside I really loved that aspect of "doing your homework" before tackling a monster.

Alternatively, just spam Igni to win everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm sure the answer to this question is no but I'm considering buying this on PS4 instead to spare my pc some grief (Shadow of Mordor is on middlin' settings and I'm hovering at 30 fps, god help it for Witcher 3). Would I be able to just copy my saves from Witcher 2 on pc to the PS4? Is there a save file generator?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm sure the answer to this question is no but I'm considering buying this on PS4 instead to spare my pc some grief (Shadow of Mordor is on middlin' settings and I'm hovering at 30 fps, god help it for Witcher 3). Would I be able to just copy my saves from Witcher 2 on pc to the PS4? Is there a save file generator?

You can't transfer saves across platforms, but there will be a conversation tree at the beginning of the game where you decide what major choices you made in Witcher 1/2.

I don't think I've ever been this excited for a game, and it releases the same day I have to turn in my master thesis. Just so I don't get incredibly disappointed, should I be able to run it on my laptop on at least the lowest settings? I really hope my video card won't be too much of a bottleneck.

As someone mentioned above, I don't think this site is accurate:

I know my specs are low, but I'm on a tight budget and can't afford a new computer or a PS4.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ElectricWizard posted:

You can't transfer saves across platforms, but there will be a conversation tree at the beginning of the game where you decide what major choices you made in Witcher 1/2.

That works for me. Witcher 2 didn't really import too much from 1 (and some of the more major ones ended up not mattering like that nurse) so it'll probably be the same for 3 then.

Kind of bummed I held on to all this for nothing though, but this is cheaper than upgrading the pc at the moment (the ps4 was a birthday gift). Shadow of Mordor was an eye-opener though. Still eight or so years out of a pc I barely touched since then is pretty good!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Click here for the latest Free Disk Space drivers.
drat I need some of those.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

What site you using to check that out?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

SkyEnzo posted:

What site you using to check that out?

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

As noted, the prompts for shady drivers makes the site hard to trust.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Lareine posted:

The King of the Hunt wanted to take Jacques' soul. Presumably, it has something to do with the fact that he had Elder blood but I don't see how taking his soul is going to help with the King's plans.

Another thing has been bugging me. The kingslayer group had three people: Letho, Serrit and Auckes. They only mention there being Letho, Serrit and Auckes. But we still haven't established who the first would-be assassin of Foltest was. He was a witcher too but those three are the only ones mentioned in that group and witchers aren't so common that they just hired one to off Foltest. So who was the witcher?

According to the wiki Letho mentions that there were two other witchers in the viper school besides Serrit, Auckes and himself. The assassin from W1 was probably one of them.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't really care about the Collector's Edition (too expensive for me and I don't have the space for all those trinkets), but I remember the Xbox One had an exclusive item and googled it, and apparently both the cloth map and the cards are exclusive to the Xbox One version. There's still a map in the Collector's Edition for the other two versions of the game, but apparently it's made of shittier materials?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H59wkusd5WU

GORAARRT the hero of the Witcher

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Played through the prologue of The Witcher last night and a little into Act 1. I had forgotten how never-really-explained the amnesia and stuff is in it. In addition to the fact that it namedrops poo poo you've never heard of and doesn't explain it, it also just talks about stuff without context and/or order (the latter being a common RPG problem if you have any sort of dialogue tree). At one point in Kaer Morhen I asked Eskel if he had seen "that magic storm" earlier and he talked about it but I myself as a player have no loving idea what they're talking about. I'm assuming it means the storm from the opening cutscene where Geralt is running just MAGICALLY started up AS IF BY MAGIC but I don't actually know. Maybe it's actually a storm of raw, wild magic.

Questions WRT The Witcher's opening (spoilers for The Wild Hunt as a character that are revealed in 2's ending). If these are book spoilers than just say that and don't spoil the books for me please thank you.

The whole opening is that a storm magically showed up due to Geralt returning to our dimension and the other witchers came to investigate and happened to find him, right? The way the cinematic makes it seem is that they were already chasing him and that he had been running a long time, instead of just popping up. I don't think this ever had a clear explanation and I for the life of me have no loving idea what's going on to this day.

I don't even know when he gets abducted. I'm assuming this is shortly after the pitchfork incident, he gets grabbed, they drop him off near Kaer Morhen, he loses his memory, the other witchers come to investigate and find him. No idea.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Played through the prologue of The Witcher last night and a little into Act 1. I had forgotten how never-really-explained the amnesia and stuff is in it. In addition to the fact that it namedrops poo poo you've never heard of and doesn't explain it, it also just talks about stuff without context and/or order (the latter being a common RPG problem if you have any sort of dialogue tree). At one point in Kaer Morhen I asked Eskel if he had seen "that magic storm" earlier and he talked about it but I myself as a player have no loving idea what they're talking about. I'm assuming it means the storm from the opening cutscene where Geralt is running just MAGICALLY started up AS IF BY MAGIC but I don't actually know. Maybe it's actually a storm of raw, wild magic.

Questions WRT The Witcher's opening (spoilers for The Wild Hunt as a character that are revealed in 2's ending). If these are book spoilers than just say that and don't spoil the books for me please thank you.

The whole opening is that a storm magically showed up due to Geralt returning to our dimension and the other witchers came to investigate and happened to find him, right? The way the cinematic makes it seem is that they were already chasing him and that he had been running a long time, instead of just popping up. I don't think this ever had a clear explanation and I for the life of me have no loving idea what's going on to this day.

I don't even know when he gets abducted. I'm assuming this is shortly after the pitchfork incident, he gets grabbed, they drop him off near Kaer Morhen, he loses his memory, the other witchers come to investigate and find him. No idea.

What happens after Geralt dies is actually revealed in the Witcher 2 flashbacks near the end.
Witcher 2 spoiler I guess but I'm not gonna tag a loving W2 spoiler: He was leading a happy life with Yen on the isle of Avalach which is basically a magical island that can only be reached by dimension-hopping I think.
Maybe look up some videos to refresh what the flashbacks in W2 showed. They also talk about why he's running and stuff.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't remember that at all. Was that in the Letho dump? Good thing I'm going to replay it soon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's a Witcher anyway?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Gist of it is that Ciri came and brough both Geralt and Yennifer back to life, then placed them on the magical island to live out their days together. I'm unclear on the next bit, but iirc the wild hunt then came and kidnapped Yennifer. Geralt went after them, and eventually, with the help of Letho and his pals, found the wild hunt and traded himself for Yennifer. He later escaped the wild hunt somehow, at the cost of his memories, which leads to the beginning of the Witcher 1.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

What's a Witcher anyway?

A person who witches. Duh!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

GrossMurpel posted:

What happens after Geralt dies is actually revealed in the Witcher 2 flashbacks near the end.
Witcher 2 spoiler I guess but I'm not gonna tag a loving W2 spoiler: He was leading a happy life with Yen on the isle of Avalach which is basically a magical island that can only be reached by dimension-hopping I think.
Maybe look up some videos to refresh what the flashbacks in W2 showed. They also talk about why he's running and stuff.

I don't remember any of this either. Is it really particularly comprehensible if you haven't read the books? I only got through them recently, long after finishing both games, and now I realize I would've gotten more out of Witcher 2 had I read them earlier. Well, except that the official translations are quite recent.

I do kind of feel like playing Witcher 2 again but man, the first game was a much less rewarding slog at times. gently caress the loving swamp.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Slashrat posted:

Gist of it is that Ciri came and brough both Geralt and Yennifer back to life, then placed them on the magical island to live out their days together. I'm unclear on the next bit, but iirc the wild hunt then came and kidnapped Yennifer. Geralt went after them, and eventually, with the help of Letho and his pals, found the wild hunt and traded himself for Yennifer. He later escaped the wild hunt somehow, at the cost of his memories, which leads to the beginning of the Witcher 1.

I was halfway through a massive effort post in reply to that question and I saw this which is basically the gist of it all. At the end of TW2 Geralt has recovered all of his memories apart from his time with the Wild Hunt and this is all explained in that flashback he has. I believe Letho mentions that when Geralt left her in his care she too had lost her memories which would seem to be a side-effect of escaping the hunt.

Edit: Found a compilation of the flashbacks, explains everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imh-aZmWoAQ

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

eXXon posted:

I don't remember any of this either. Is it really particularly comprehensible if you haven't read the books? I only got through them recently, long after finishing both games, and now I realize I would've gotten more out of Witcher 2 had I read them earlier. Well, except that the official translations are quite recent.

I do kind of feel like playing Witcher 2 again but man, the first game was a much less rewarding slog at times. gently caress the loving swamp.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I don't remember that at all. Was that in the Letho dump? Good thing I'm going to replay it soon.

Like I said, just watch some video of the flashbacks only, that should bring you up to speed.
I think those flashbacks practically put you on par with book readers concerning what the Wild Hunt is and does.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jimbot posted:

A person who witches. Duh!

But why do they carry two swords?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

But why do they carry two swords?

Do you only carry one bullet when you go to battle? Just in case he loses his first one, obviously.

drat it's like you people aren't even paying attention when you play these games!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ElectricWizard posted:

Is that going to be for the PC version as well, or just the console versions (which obviously can't transfer saves)? I still have my old Witcher 2 saves but I don't at all remember what choices I made in each one at this point.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Arglebargle III posted:

What's a Witcher anyway?
Monsters were a big issue so some sorcerers got together to come up with a process to turn kids into purpose-built monster killers. The world is a lot more orderly now and monsters are ostensibly less of a problem so now they're not so much super cool monster killing super soldiers but roaming vagabonds who go around killing creepy crawlies that eat the occasional merchant in order to bring food to the table. They go hang with their few remaining witcher buddies at Kaer Morhen during the winter.

There's very few of them now since many people see no need for them anymore and the witchers don't know how to make more. They could probably figure that out with the aid of a good sorcerer but they tend to have moral issues since the process involves killing a lot of kids.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I know no one has played 3 here except for Comte, but maybe those of you who have played 1 and 2 can help me out with this a bit. One of those hands-on Youtube videos had one of the developers saying that one has to specialize and shouldn't expect to be able to level up every single skill. But if I want to mostly build up my melee skills, can I still dabble in alchemy and Signs to some extent, or do I need to focus entirely on melee skills? I'd like to get to experience all of what the game has to offer to some degree, at least.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The former. The games encourage you to specialize but never to a degree that you don't do the other things at all. Going by the previous games you can expect to pick one thing to be amazing at and be at least competent in the others.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Elukka posted:

Monsters were a big issue so some sorcerers got together to come up with a process to turn kids into purpose-built monster killers. The world is a lot more orderly now and monsters are ostensibly less of a problem so now they're not so much super cool monster killing super soldiers but roaming vagabonds who go around killing creepy crawlies that eat the occasional merchant in order to bring food to the table. They go hang with their few remaining witcher buddies at Kaer Morhen during the winter.

There's very few of them now since many people see no need for them anymore and the witchers don't know how to make more. They could probably figure that out with the aid of a good sorcerer but they tend to have moral issues since the process involves killing a lot of kids.

My memory is a bit hazy, but what was going on then at the start of the first game? I was under the impression some of them weren't witchers, and they were training to become one, or something of the sort, then poo poo hit the fan.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
That's good. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Plus, from what I heard you can reset your skills, right? So you don't have to spend 100 of your 200 hours (200 loving hours!) using a build you don't like.

Broose posted:

My memory is a bit hazy, but what was going on then at the start of the first game? I was under the impression some of them weren't witchers, and they were training to become one, or something of the sort, then poo poo hit the fan.

One was training to be a Witcher (RIP Leo ;_;) but I don't think he had the mutations, considering none of the current Witchers know how to create them.

• Locked thread