Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

richyp posted:

(Hi Hams)

I realise this was from a while back but did you find the images? If not I managed to find a couple of pictures of them on my old laptop. These are from a few years ago, I also did some Necrons in a very similar scheme as well (one trick pony)

Hope they were the ones you meant.

Forgot how cool this scheme was, glad to see it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Hixson posted:

Doubtful.

But yeah I agree those are pretty ugly
Agreed. Where are the wires, the turrets, the pistons, the overlapping plates? They're too clean for the Mechanicus.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

An Angry Bug posted:

Agreed. Where are the wires, the turrets, the pistons, the overlapping plates? They're too clean for the Mechanicus.

Thley're in forgeworld

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hixson posted:

Doubtful.

But yeah I agree those are pretty ugly

Moola's right though, those are loving awful.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Just noticed the deflect rule that they took away from the Lychguard dispersion shield now applies to the new robot things. Amazing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I welcome the return of our Rogue Trader robot overlords. Only problem is the RT robots I have are way, way too small to ever counts-as these guys. They're like a third the size of those duders.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SRM posted:

I welcome the return of our Rogue Trader robot overlords. Only problem is the RT robots I have are way, way too small to ever counts-as these guys. They're like a third the size of those duders.

Yeah the ones I remmber were on 40mm bases.

edit: And I have no idea why they didn't just copy the designs from the Forgeworld Mechanicum line. Maybe it's some sort of internal politics thing? Or just the designer was busy so they gave it to someone else who sort of made a bad copy.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 30, 2015

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Yeah, Moola's relentless poo poo-posting aside, those robots look pretty dumb. The rules aren't bad, but the models just look like lovely versions of the ForgeWorld robots.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Something about them makes me think they're what you'd get if the Imperium tried to make a Wraithknight. And failed.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I tinkered some more with that chaos list no one cares about, let me elaborate:
*deletia*

You've got some good stuff going on here, but I feel like the CSM half of things isn't really pulling its weight very well. Spawn are nice, obviously, and with Serpents less common they won't get shredded quite so easily. The Heldrake is good, but you can potentially get that on the Daemonkin side of things instead. The Lord does bring 2+/4++/IWND to the table, which is pretty tough, but as he can't join up with any of the Daemonkin units due to differing alignments (I believe? certainly the Marine ones at least) he feels like he's gonna be a lot less flexible than he could be. The Plague Marines are pure tax, obviously.

I wouldn't say it's a bad list, but having to sink those ~400pts into Plague Marines is gonna hurt you. I might recommend dropping the PM for units of Cultists instead (since ideally the enemy just never has time to shoot at your backfield troops) and save 300pts to spend on some more aggressive or support units- you have a bunch of HS slots free, so Cyclotrathe or Hades Rapiers (from IA13) would be a great way to crack open enemy transports and force Jinks. Failing that, some Obliterators would be acceptable replacements, or you could run some more squads of Spawn or Bikes or maybe even some Blood Slaughterers or Maulerfiends.

I wouldn't worry much about airplanes- you've got no way to deal with them, but your plan is basically to pounce on the enemy before air support can matter anyways. A bigger problem is going to be Knights, which have a very good chance of loving you up pretty badly. The aforementioned Rapier Batteries could help some, but honestly CSM don't have a lot of solutions to them.

Fuegan posted:

Just noticed the deflect rule that they took away from the Lychguard dispersion shield now applies to the new robot things. Amazing.

I am willing to lose the lovely deflect rule they had in exchange for an upgrade to a 3++ and a 15pt-per-model price drop.

Re-adding special rules and "minor" factions and all that sort of stuff sure does make their supposed earlier attempts to simplify 7th Edition sound pretty stupid, though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AbusePuppy posted:

Re-adding special rules and "minor" factions and all that sort of stuff sure does make their supposed earlier attempts to simplify 7th Edition sound pretty stupid, though.
It's straight up 2nd edition poo poo, seriously. Part of me loves it, part of me wishes I could keep track of it all.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looking at the new robots, I think I realised why they suck: They look like big space marines with short arms and no shoulder pads. They look kinda like big exo-suit things that have pilots inside them. They don't look like robots.

looks much better. I really wish I'd picked up a bunch of these in the past 'cause now the only way to get them seems to be through absurd price gouging on eBay.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I think the one with the fists doesn't look too bad but the FW take is way better. The one with the guns for hands just looks goofy though.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

AbusePuppy posted:

I am willing to lose the lovely deflect rule they had in exchange for an upgrade to a 3++ and a 15pt-per-model price drop.

Oh totally, it's just a bit of a shame to see a quirky rule that produced some amusing moments taken out only to be given to the new shiny army is all.

On the new models, I really don't think the paint job does them any favours. They're pretty flat compared to the rest of the AdMech stuff and while I get that they're trying to say "Hey guys! It's totally like that model from before!" the lack of any other colour to break up the red makes them look pretty plain and boring.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The rules for those robots seem pretty fun even if the models are completely overshadowed by Forge World's stuff. Not only are they bland and dull, they also don't fit the overall aesthetic of every other mechanicus model. Way too clean. I could see people just swapping in catellaxes (castellaxii?) instead. Especially if they already have them.

Fuegan posted:

On the new models, I really don't think the paint job does them any favours. They're pretty flat compared to the rest of the AdMech stuff and while I get that they're trying to say "Hey guys! It's totally like that model from before!" the lack of any other colour to break up the red makes them look pretty plain and boring.
I think they could use some hazard stripes. :getin:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zark the Damned posted:

Looking at the new robots, I think I realised why they suck: They look like big space marines with short arms and no shoulder pads. They look kinda like big exo-suit things that have pilots inside them. They don't look like robots.

I'd prefer if there even was a hint of servitor pilots instead if the Fisher Price look they have. The entire Imperium is supposed to be scared shitless by the thought of AI. Or keep the straight robots, buff the stats a little and give a slave circuit rule to the Mechanicus Priest in charge. They act normally while he's alive but gain berserk rules if he dies.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They're painted rather poorly. Its like a decision has been made to follow the painting guide book and keep it very basic for beginners.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

serious gaylord posted:

They're painted rather poorly. Its like a decision has been made to follow the painting guide book and keep it very basic for beginners.

This is probably the case. I bet there are some more interesting schemes in the codex.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

DO IT TO IT posted:

This is probably the case. I bet there are some more interesting schemes in the codex.

Yeah, just look at the white scheme for the Skitarii. That looked a lot better than the red one.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Guess I understood pinning wrong, I thought you had to get out of it, much the same way when your guys run. I guess I should read more often, just don't run into pinning issues very often.

Don't feel about about this. If I remember right, a few editions ago this is how it worked. Or something similar anyway. I confuse my editions all the time.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

krushgroove posted:

I just recently finished these:

Really loving cool mate, can I ask you a question about the Crimson Hunter kit? I would like to assemble one with a flatter profile - basically sticking the wings out straight either side of the fuselage rather than swept down as now. How does it actually go together?

richyp posted:

(Hi Hams)

I realise this was from a while back but did you find the images? If not I managed to find a couple of pictures of them on my old laptop. These are from a few years ago, I also did some Necrons in a very similar scheme as well (one trick pony)

Hope they were the ones you meant.

These are just fantastic, turquoise just looks ace on eldar.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
They don't appear too well posed either. Given how dynamic the ruststalkers are compared to the official photos, I'm assuming you can do far more with them than pictured.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I, for one, can't wait to get in on that kastelan robot manpile.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Zark the Damned posted:

looks much better. I really wish I'd picked up a bunch of these in the past 'cause now the only way to get them seems to be through absurd price gouging on eBay.

It looks like the solution to a lot of these is going to be painting right over the canopy or sticking bitz all over it before priming so it doesn't look like a canopy at all.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

God those models look like rear end

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

The rules for those robots seem pretty fun even if the models are completely overshadowed by Forge World's stuff. Not only are they bland and dull, they also don't fit the overall aesthetic of every other mechanicus model. Way too clean. I could see people just swapping in catellaxes (castellaxii?) instead. Especially if they already have them.

That is what I'd do in this case as I'm not too keen on the 40k equivalent. They're not outright bad, just kinda meh.

I'm sure they'd make great Big Daddies for someone 40k Bioshock conversion. :v:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Hey guys look at my new Mechanicum models I just bought

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I also picked up a new castellax

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

theironjef posted:

It looks like the solution to a lot of these is going to be painting right over the canopy or sticking bitz all over it before priming so it doesn't look like a canopy at all.

Thats's the old RT one :) The new one dones't have the canopy, and look stupid :(

Mange Mite posted:

Yeah the ones I remmber were on 40mm bases.

Square 40mm bases at that :corsair:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

HardCoil posted:

Thats's the old RT one :) The new one dones't have the canopy, and look stupid :(

Square 40mm bases at that :corsair:

That makes sense. Certainly seemed more than a little blocky and rough for what they do these days, but what do I know, I don't even play Space Marines because they look like dorky little rectangle men. Elves and bugs for life.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, Moola's relentless poo poo-posting aside, those robots look pretty dumb. The rules aren't bad, but the models just look like lovely versions of the ForgeWorld robots.

They look aggressively bad. Just completely loving stupid. For a company purporting to be about quality models and not rules or gaming, these are visually offensive. They remind me of hack and slash from the old Reboot cartoon.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

I also picked up a new castellax

Why would superman need a giant robo-suit? :psyduck:

The answer, of course, is one familiar to all of us in this thread: to sell toys.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

They look aggressively bad. Just completely loving stupid. For a company purporting to be about quality models and not rules or gaming, these are visually offensive.

This but about every single AdMech kit they've dropped in the last month or since whenever this debacle started.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The problem with the robots is A)as someone else pointed out, the "head" of the robot looks like a canopy, so that the robot looks like a giant Gundam-style fighting machine with a pilot in it, rather than a robot; and B)as also pointed out, they don't fit the AM aesthetic. AM are basically "steampunk given a sinister twist" with spider-like attachments and complete limb replacements and so on and so forth. These robots are too sleek and clean to match well with the overall AM look.

Safety Factor posted:

Why would superman need a giant robo-suit? :psyduck:

The answer, of course, is one familiar to all of us in this thread: to sell toys.

Actually, IIRC in the comics (at least, the ones from waaay back in the day), Superman had a reason to have a robo-suit: in extreme cases where some variant of Kryptonite had robbed him of his powers (but not killed him outright). :reject:

(but your answer is also correct, too :v:)

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The problem with the robots is A)as someone else pointed out, the "head" of the robot looks like a canopy, so that the robot looks like a giant Gundam-style fighting machine with a pilot in it, rather than a robot; and B)as also pointed out, they don't fit the AM aesthetic. AM are basically "steampunk given a sinister twist" with spider-like attachments and complete limb replacements and so on and so forth. These robots are too sleek and clean to match well with the overall AM look.

They may be good starting points for something. The lower half actually looks pretty good, it's only the head and torso which are really terrible.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Nothing ever came out of that "April 25th Horus Heresy Age of Darkness" thing, huh? I know we came to the conclusion that it was probably a book of some type, probably BL, but I can't even see that as having happened.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PantsOptional posted:

Nothing ever came out of that "April 25th Horus Heresy Age of Darkness" thing, huh? I know we came to the conclusion that it was probably a book of some type, probably BL, but I can't even see that as having happened.

It was literally a redirect link to the Horus Heresy book Age of Darkness, which has been out for 4? years now I think.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I am utterly befuddled because there's something GW has done that everyone else is making GBS threads all over (those robot sculpts) that I'm not really offended by. It's like bizarro land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah its silly looking, but you can actually make it look decent with a new head, arms, and a better pose. Considering the cost, that's not something you should need to out of the box, but its better than the centurions. No amount of kit bashing can save the baby michelin men.

• Locked thread