Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Mo_Steel posted:

Are you me? I got a two year degree in accounting, did bookkeeping for a while, then up and got my A+ and joined a small company last year. Group Policy and Active Directory? I'd never touched it, but we were doing a migration to new systems company-wide and my boss was busy with other tasks so he tasked me with configuring over 100 machines in dozens of locations for the rollout. It was really cool to figure out how Group Policy worked by just getting to work with it on a test bed and make things work and figure out why they didn't work; once I started really getting into it I was like "this is like being a goddamn wizard, I can set custom desktop shortcuts by computer name and user logon and map drives and run logon scripts and push out registry entries :aaaaa: ".

Oh, man, I dream about AD and GPO. Remember how I said we were running Server NT? And how I was excited that we were getting a brand new AD server? Yeah, that got canned and we're "hoping we can get one before the new budget year."

Not that a new AD will change anything. We're still using a mish-mash of computers, with most using XP, a handful using 7, several with 8.1, and at least one running ME.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Why are you working there?

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Sometimes I'm a little alarmed at how little people know...
(Understand, lest I come off like a lunatic, that I always have a happy face on, and I try to be extremely helpful and understanding. I don't berate people...I just come here to commiserate!).

When someone comes in with a Director of XYZ title and I am having them enter their temporary password on their computer to get started and they say "Where is the exclamation point?" while looking at the keyboard, that I get a little nervous...

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

metavisual posted:

Sometimes I'm a little alarmed at how little people know...
(Understand, lest I come off like a lunatic, that I always have a happy face on, and I try to be extremely helpful and understanding. I don't berate people...I just come here to commiserate!).

When someone comes in with a Director of XYZ title and I am having them enter their temporary password on their computer to get started and they say "Where is the exclamation point?" while looking at the keyboard, that I get a little nervous...

Password complexity requirements have made me realize just how many people are barely literate.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Coming onto the tail end of week 3 of being helpdesk and sysadmin. Still hating the helpdesk part but even after I throttle down, I've still got a balanced and clean plate.

Even quantifying the people who call/walk-up before/without opening a ticket, I am starting to be worried that I can't justify the need to have a helpdesk guy if I can legitimately handle the load.

HR and my boss have my back at wanting to hire a helpdesk guy, especially given that we're going to grow, but I think my efficiency and "let's get this poo poo done before loving around on SA and studying CCNA" mindset may have doomed the effort.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Stop quantifying it. Help desk is not your goddamned job.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MJP posted:

Coming onto the tail end of week 3 of being helpdesk and sysadmin. Still hating the helpdesk part but even after I throttle down, I've still got a balanced and clean plate.

Even quantifying the people who call/walk-up before/without opening a ticket, I am starting to be worried that I can't justify the need to have a helpdesk guy if I can legitimately handle the load.

HR and my boss have my back at wanting to hire a helpdesk guy, especially given that we're going to grow, but I think my efficiency and "let's get this poo poo done before loving around on SA and studying CCNA" mindset may have doomed the effort.

Never not gently caress around on SA while on the clock.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

ponzicar posted:

Password complexity requirements have made me realize just how many people are barely literate.

I'm horrified when I watch users enter a password. I'll see the Caps Lock warning pop up on the screen and then disappear. They literally hit caps lock to type one capital letter.

I guess it does make some weird sort of sense since they are probably using just one finger to type, so they can't hold shift and hit another letter at the same time but jesus christ

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

myron cope posted:

I'm horrified when I watch users enter a password. I'll see the Caps Lock warning pop up on the screen and then disappear. They literally hit caps lock to type one capital letter.

I see this too and I'm morbidly curious to know if they do this while typing too, but I don't really want to know the answer.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I see the same thing all the time. As well as needing four or five tries to get a password that works.
It's not that difficult. I give you the criteria and then you do it. If I say "8 characters, a capital, and a number" don't look at me in 30 seconds and say "why isn't it working?" because all I'm going to say is "Did you use a capital and a number, was it 8 characters?" (Then I get to watch you count on your fingers!)

I've seen all of that SO much, but today was the first time that I've ever seen someone pause and say "Where is the exclamation point on the keyboard??"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Basically he'd do well in administrative services, or a secretarial position.

He'd make a great Executive Administrative Assistant

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I see this too and I'm morbidly curious to know if they do this while typing too, but I don't really want to know the answer.

As someone with a parent who does this, yes. Yes they do.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I have a guy in my office - who nominally has his A+ - who uses Caps Lock for all of his capital letters while typing. It is the most awkward thing and I want to shake him every time.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I'm sorry to break this to people but passwords are a bad security system that are designed for humans to fail at

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Vicas posted:

I'm sorry to break this to people but passwords are a bad security system that are designed for humans to fail at

Ooh, how would you do it better? :allears:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kyrosiris posted:

As someone with a parent who does this, yes. Yes they do.

My dad is in sales and he does hunt and peck. He used to dictate things to me and my mother, or have me transcribe reports because it would take him hours what took me minutes.

He's gotten a little better but it's agonizing standing over his shoulder, telling him to type something, and watching him two finger the keyboard.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Vicas posted:

Instructions are instructions. The issue here isn't whether or not passwords are good security. The issue is that people with seemingly professional level titles are failing at following simple directions. This is 1st grade level stuff here...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I have a guy in my office - who nominally has his A+ - who uses Caps Lock for all of his capital letters while typing. It is the most awkward thing and I want to shake him every time.

Lol as if A+ means anything.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I work with professional Unix sysadmins who do this.

I want to slap them every time I see it.

E: and yes, they do it both for passwords, and for general typing. :cripes:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

metavisual posted:

I see the same thing all the time. As well as needing four or five tries to get a password that works.
It's not that difficult. I give you the criteria and then you do it. If I say "8 characters, a capital, and a number" don't look at me in 30 seconds and say "why isn't it working?" because all I'm going to say is "Did you use a capital and a number, was it 8 characters?" (Then I get to watch you count on your fingers!)

I've seen all of that SO much, but today was the first time that I've ever seen someone pause and say "Where is the exclamation point on the keyboard??"

I told you all the story about the guy who couldn't log into his company's Citrix portal because he couldn't type in his RSA code and click the Login button before the code changed, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's amazing how many people there are out there, in important positions, who've been using computers to do their job for years, but have somehow avoided picking up the most basic of computer skills.

I met a lawyer who's been using MS Office in various forms for at least 15 years but who didn't know how to copy and paste.

And don't get me started on Outlook, so many people never use it for anything but the most basic sending and replying to emails and would be better off with webmail. And of course they're all hoarders with 40 gig PST files.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A ticket cane in. "We've been using this program to scan for viruses for a few years now. Now we're getting an error pop-up every 10 minutes. How do we get it to go away?"

Error says their malwarebytes free trial has expired. If they have been using it for years, odds are something got screwed up, but the giant print on the error message isn't that hard to read. I would tell them to read the message and refuse to help them until they took the time to read and comprehend it, but I'm not even allowed to touch tickets like that.

I didn't realize how boring this job was going to be.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Got the results back on our internal and external network security audit. Mind you I'm completely new here and dont have a feel for things yet but two things stood out to me.

#1 Master password list is kept in an excel spreadsheet. Multiple passwords for critical systems are re-used. Looking into setting up Secret Server or KeePass or something.

#2 gently caress printers. Seriously besides the above every other finding was something to do with printers. Of course HP was the main offender. Using JPL with disc access which is enabled by default apparently opens you up to multiple SNMP DDoS style attacks and allows for potential hackers to recover documents filed to the printer. Firmware updates fix most of this but I'm still having to go through and disabled FTP and SNMP on all of these lovely things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

spankmeister posted:

Lol as if A+ means anything.

This employee who has a starbucks rewards card was typing one day....

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kurieg posted:

He's gotten a little better but it's agonizing standing over his shoulder, telling him to type something, and watching him two finger the keyboard.

I never learned to type properly. I took classes in elementary school, but my brain just doesn't process the method right or something. I hunt/peck with my middle fingers and sometimes my ring finger, and I tend to hit shift with my ring or pinky finger and then whatever button with my first finger. I'm weird like that. I can also type decently fast, and while not looking at the keyboard. If I am looking, it's more of the sort of look one gets when they're juggling and watching the balls reach the apex of their trajectory. I have no idea why I do any of this the way I do, but there you go.

:ninja: EDIT: I just took a typing test that I googled up and it seems I type at roughly 290 CPM, or 58 WPM, which is decent, I think. Not "dictate a speech to me" decent, but I think it's certainly good for hunt-and-peck. I'd probably do better if the words were in a sentence so that I didn't have to keep looking up to see what the next word was.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

neogeo0823 posted:

I never learned to type properly. I took classes in elementary school, but my brain just doesn't process the method right or something. I hunt/peck with my middle fingers and sometimes my ring finger, and I tend to hit shift with my ring or pinky finger and then whatever button with my first finger. I'm weird like that. I can also type decently fast, and while not looking at the keyboard. If I am looking, it's more of the sort of look one gets when they're juggling and watching the balls reach the apex of their trajectory. I have no idea why I do any of this the way I do, but there you go.

:ninja: EDIT: I just took a typing test that I googled up and it seems I type at roughly 290 CPM, or 58 WPM, which is decent, I think. Not "dictate a speech to me" decent, but I think it's certainly good for hunt-and-peck. I'd probably do better if the words were in a sentence so that I didn't have to keep looking up to see what the next word was.

Computer professionals don't seem to use the whole home keys system much, most of us I have met were high speed hunt and peckers. We are paid to think, not type. If they want a typist, they can hire a secretary.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My early computer usage was fairly heavy in scripting and programming - probably a common theme here. That's a hell of a strain on the right pinky and number/symbol rows. My typing's evolved to mostly exclude my pinkies entirely, using only the pointer, ring, and index fingers, and is generally in short bursts to type alphabetic characters and to reorient/reposition to hit symbols.

I'll use my pinkies for Shift and Enter keys apparently, which I just noticed while typing this.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RFC2324 posted:

Computer professionals don't seem to use the whole home keys system much, most of us I have met were high speed hunt and peckers. We are paid to think, not type. If they want a typist, they can hire a secretary.

Excuse me, I grew up with Mavis Beacon and instinctively sit down at a keyboard with my hands on the home row. :colbert:

(then again my left hand almost immediately gravitates towards WASD if I'm idle for any length of time so who knows. :v:)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Inspector_666 posted:

I told you all the story about the guy who couldn't log into his company's Citrix portal because he couldn't type in his RSA code and click the Login button before the code changed, right?
The part that always pisses me off are the folks who click the login button instead if just hitting enter.
:wtf:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Camper spotted.

E: The wads guy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ilkhan posted:

The part that always pisses me off are the folks who click the login button instead if just hitting enter.
:wtf:

That added a not-insignificant amount of time to the process since he had to grab the mouse and then move it around for a few seconds to find the cursor.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

I do this all the time. My hands just go instinctively to WASD and Mouse while I'm reading. I've gotten fussed at for it before, because when I first started, my boss thought he was always walking in catching me playing a game that I had just alt-tabbed out of.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Camper spotted.

E: The wads guy.

In my defense, the first PC game I ever played was Wolfenstein 3D, in my dad's lap, at the tender age of six. :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

larchesdanrew posted:

I do this all the time. My hands just go instinctively to WASD and Mouse while I'm reading. I've gotten fussed at for it before, because when I first started, my boss thought he was always walking in catching me playing a game that I had just alt-tabbed out of.
I'm better than hunt and peck, but not quite at typist level.

But I'm awesome at arrow keys due to a win 3.11 cat/mouse game.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Was that the one where you trapped cats to turn them into cheese?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

Ooo neat.

417 cpm/ 87 wpm

95.7 percentile :smug:

No shift action in that test though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Don't forget that keyboards do matter. I used to just go with the cheapest, then I noticed my WPM went up by 5-10 just from switching to a nicer keyboard at a friends house.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I made 6 mistakes and got 96th percentile :psyduck: Most typing tests punish way harder for errors

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

KoRMaK posted:

Ooo neat.

417 cpm/ 87 wpm

95.7 percentile :smug:

No shift action in that test though.

Smug as you might be, the CPM counts every keypress you make, whereas the WPM counts the completed words, so you made a ton of errors with relatively few completed words. Suck on that. :smaug:

Roargasm posted:

I made 6 mistakes and got 96th percentile :psyduck: Most typing tests punish way harder for errors

If you read the FAQ, they explain how they come up with everything and why they do the test they way that they do. Basically, they use simple words because it's a test of typing speed and proficiency, not a reading and typing test. So you made some mistakes, but probably flew through the words otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Ooh, how would you do it better? :allears:

PIN + Token, good sir.

• Locked thread