Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Darwinism posted:

I had a lot of fun in the 4E LFR games that went around the Denver area; for a while there were tons of games and people generally ended up playing through adventure lines with mostly the same group. It's not the same kind of fun as a group of friends doing a campaign, sure, but organized play lets you at least feel like you're part of something bigger. Hell, the two Battle Interactives I've been to are personal high points in playing D&D just because they were different from your normal play experience.
That and it's nice to show up to a shop and know you're gonna get to game today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Darwinism posted:

I had a lot of fun in the 4E LFR games that went around the Denver area; for a while there were tons of games and people generally ended up playing through adventure lines with mostly the same group. It's not the same kind of fun as a group of friends doing a campaign, sure, but organized play lets you at least feel like you're part of something bigger. Hell, the two Battle Interactives I've been to are personal high points in playing D&D just because they were different from your normal play experience.

One of the things I miss the most from 4e, and would be impossible to reproduce in 5e are the Lair Assault module sessions they produced towards the end of the 4e life-cycle.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Bassetking posted:

One of the things I miss the most from 4e, and would be impossible to reproduce in 5e are the Lair Assault module sessions they produced towards the end of the 4e life-cycle.
You can get most of the Encounters stuff from D&D Classics now, but I don't think they put up many Lair Assaults. I ended up buying some online from eBay.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Is it possible in 5e to gain proficiencies early on easily? Basically I am making a cleric and I am trying to have my cake and eat it too. I was hoping to do a life domain cleric for the sweet features, but still use a greatsword so I can have my sweet fluff (Terminus Est wielding champion of capitalism [waukeen]) But I noticed that life domain only get heavy armor, not martial weapons. Is there a feat that can grant martial weapon proficiencies? My other genned cleric is a war priest one which gives me the proficiencies I need but is pretty much worse in every way other than being a good striker.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Weapon Master feat grants +1 STR or DEX and proficiency with 4 weapons of your choice.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Power Player posted:

You can get most of the Encounters stuff from D&D Classics now, but I don't think they put up many Lair Assaults. I ended up buying some online from eBay.

I GM'd most of those for my FLGS, and have the maps and booklets, along with all the tokens.

It's just a shame that they're impossible to recreate in 5e. I wish they were. I wish I could look at 5e's rules, and figure out a way to make that work. In two points, however. One, I've looked, I've read, I've tried. I can't. Two. I shouldn't have to do the work to make this function.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Razzled posted:

Is it possible in 5e to gain proficiencies early on easily? Basically I am making a cleric and I am trying to have my cake and eat it too. I was hoping to do a life domain cleric for the sweet features, but still use a greatsword so I can have my sweet fluff (Terminus Est wielding champion of capitalism [waukeen]) But I noticed that life domain only get heavy armor, not martial weapons. Is there a feat that can grant martial weapon proficiencies? My other genned cleric is a war priest one which gives me the proficiencies I need but is pretty much worse in every way other than being a good striker.

Generally multiclassing is the best way to get martial weapons; between Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger, and Paladin, just pick the one that best fits your theme and/or is easiest to fit into the MC requirements for.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Power Player posted:

Yeah, it seems like piracy and ebay are the only way to get your hands on the things. I don't see any reason why WotC didn't just put them up for sale for $10 or whatever to give people the option of buying. Not right away, of course, to avoid spoilers, but after they had moved on to Lair Assault 3, surely it wouldn't have hurt anyone to put up Lair Assault 1 for sale.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I kinda ignored DnD for a couple of years. What are Lair Assaults?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Heffer posted:

I kinda ignored DnD for a couple of years. What are Lair Assaults?

Really hard challenge dungeons in 4E. They were pretty neat if your into min/maxing characters and putting together really strong teams and such. The complete lack of anything resembling balance in 5E and really bad healing rules makes them impossible to do in the system, unfortunately.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

March Survey Results / April Survey: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/march-survey-results

Nothing mentioned by them about the fighter, hilariously.

quote:

Nothing stood out as needing serious changes.

:lol:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

goldjas posted:

Really hard challenge dungeons in 4E. They were pretty neat if your into min/maxing characters and putting together really strong teams and such. The complete lack of anything resembling balance in 5E and really bad healing rules makes them impossible to do in the system, unfortunately.

The idea of Lair Assault as I understood it was "we have players who like to make ridiculous characters with the eleventy million powers and stuff we gave them, let's make something for them to play with" and so it was, in some respects, 4E's version of tournament stuff like Tomb of Horrors albeit with less instant death traps and more "you don't have time to take a long rest so once your resources are spent they're spent, choose wisely when to use that Daily power or healing surge." I never played one and I heard mixed results about them but it always struck me as a great idea in the sense that catering to the charop crowd and the "I just want to pick stuff that looks cool and play" crowd needn't and shouldn't be mutually exclusive, you can do both.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It would have been great if it had ever been a: above level 5 and b: available for home play.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
New survey is more badness.

What level should a campaign end at?
What level do you expect a campaign to end at?
Compare these randomly paired races, which is more powerful?
Do you do Adventurer's League?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Good grief.
Do these serve any purpose other than presenting Hasbro with 'X number of people responded to our customer satisfaction surveys' and 'we are actively engaging with our consumers' platitudes?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

quote:

Plus, we have another sorcerer option on tap for that article series.

Okay could always use more options.

quote:

We’re doing some monk design right now that used the Way of the Four Elements as an option, so we’ve shifted that future work in response to that feedback.

Uh. While the Way of the Four Elements needed work, shifting work from future stuff to do it might mean missing out on more interesting options.

quote:

Like with the first wave of class feedback, things remain very positive.

This has to be positive spin, how can feedback actually be very positive?

quote:

The changeling will likely have its ability scores and Shapechanger ability tweaked.

Okay, it needed work.

quote:

The shifter scored well, so expect a few shifts there (pardon the pun) but nothing too dramatic.

This seems unlikely. The Shifter, like all the race options in the Eberron packet were terrible.

quote:

The warforged had the most interesting feedback. I think we’re going to take a look at presenting a slightly different approach, one that ties back into the original race’s armored body options to make them feel more like innately equipped characters.

Maybe we will actually get subraces for Scout, regular and Juggernaut versions. Or at least unarmored, normal, mithril and adamantine body options.

quote:

The artificer still needs a good amount of work, so that one will go back to the drawing board.

That actually sounds like the thing that is going to go through the most changes.

quote:

I expect that you’ll see some revisions to the Eberron material before the end of the year.

Before the end of the year? Shouldn't that be before summer?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ryuujin posted:

Before the end of the year? Shouldn't that be before summer?

Sweet, innocent child

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Nope, the guy who does that stuff is busy. He'll get to it when he can.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

This has to be positive spin, how can feedback actually be very positive?

A combination of the way the questions are phrased (they don't really give the option for criticism; the closest they get is randomly-assigned 'which is more powerful' assessments, and those don't actually tell you much) and the fact that almost nobody who's actually bothering to complete the surveys any more holds negative opinions about 5e.

The idea that they are actually creating these surveys with the intention of getting objective feedback about the quality of their game went out of the window when they published the very first playtest survey like 3 years ago, and it contained no questions about the central concepts of the game, but rather, fluff about when monsters the video playtesters should fight.

Consciously or not, basically every survey since then has been designed to collect positive feedback about the things they think they're doing well, or fluffy feedback about tummyfeels, rather than objective feedback about the game as a whole.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I actually said something about that in the end of the survey, that these surveys were basically worthless and tell them nothing.

Meanwhile in other news someone on EnWorld has a Dragon Player Characters homebrew. And there are races and classes on DnDWiki. Including a Tager class.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Played my very first session of 5E tonight, and my god it was just so dull. I don't know how much of that was just because I went into it basically predisposed to disliking it, the fact we started at level one, and how much was actual issues I have with the system, but as a cleric I spent my rounds in combat A) Missing with my one offensive cantrip B)Blessing the party with no other rider effect and C) Healing our paladin, who was knocked unconscious by a single hit. gently caress spell slots. gently caress boring spells. I want my cool Encounter and Daily powers back. :( I felt so bad for the three martial classes in the party.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Judgement posted:

we started at level one

That's a pretty significant part of it. If your character doesn't have some way of using their bonus action, first level means spending most of your turns attempting to do one thing and failing.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I don't know if this has been discussed before but I did some digging and found two little issues surrounding the paralysis condition. Paralysis is pretty much the best status effect you can hope for, disabling a creature and allowing you to get auto-crits. So when I read that I thought to myself, "something that potent, knowing these guys they just have to gently caress that up somewhere or I'll eat my hat."

My hat is safe.

First, the Rod of Lordly Might can impose paralysis on a hit, allowing the victim to repeat a Strength saving throw to break free. Except... paralyzed creatures automatically fail all Strength saving throws. So... yeah... Good luck breaking out of that one buddy.

The other one is the Wand of Paralysis, which makes an attack roll to paralyze a target and then allows them to "repeat the saving throw" to break free. Except there is no saving throw. Just the attack roll. You can repeat something which doesn't exist to break free.

So here we have two paralyzing magic items which you can't get rid off again. The 5e DMG continues to disappoint.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
At this point they might as well just print books saying, "There are magic items which can paralyze you. Your GM will invent the rules for these should you encounter them". This allows for greatest GM creativity rather than the stifling rules previous editions used to straightjacket them.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
So for the new campaign I rolled the following array: 12, 12, 11, 10, 8, 8.

And then the DM took pity on me and let me roll another score to drop the lowest and I got another 8.

Rolled stats are the dumbest thing.

Though I think if I go full char-op I can make a fighter1(archery style)/bard2 work with a hand crossbow/shield and variant human+crossbow expert. That lets me double tap at +5/1d6+1 and still have a 17 AC (I don't have enough Str to wear chainmail... though if I find some full plate the extra AC would probably be worth the speed penalty). Not great, but not awful for level 3. Plus I'm hoping to get lots of Inspiration for being completely out of my depth all the time to make up the difference.

I should say, the DM did eventually agree to let me use the array, but just given the culture of this group I suspect I'd probably never hear the end of it. We're going to see how it goes and if it's awful he's okay with switching.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nnnnnnope. An aggregate +0 stat bonus makes you a peasant. Buy a pitchfork and a couple of oxen, take up your position as the company cart driver.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

Nnnnnnope. An aggregate +0 stat bonus makes you a peasant. Buy a pitchfork and a couple of oxen, take up your position as the company cart driver.

And remember to hide behind the mule carrying everyone's poo poo, who has better stats than you

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Make sure to play ultra heroically aka suicidially.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Technically I have a +1 total, since I put one of my human +1s in the 11. Final array was 10, 12, 12, 8, 8, 13. Which also just let me squeak by on the bard MC requirements.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
An attractive peasant who can play the lute.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ImpactVector posted:

I should say, the DM did eventually agree to let me use the array, but just given the culture of this group I suspect I'd probably never hear the end of it. We're going to see how it goes and if it's awful he's okay with switching.

When you say culture, you mean like how the contents of petri dishes are sometimes called culture?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Make sure to play ultra heroically aka suicidially.
I'm kind of on my way already. My soldier background story is that I'm a dispossessed ronin-type guy working for Zhentarim (we're doing a modified Princes of the Apocalypse campaign), and my hook into whatever is going on is that the person who killed my former lord is involved somehow. I'm envisioning a kind of Gurney Halleck post-betrayal vibe, so I'll probably die either before or after getting revenge unless the DM pulls an upset.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Get killed asap. Return as your brother with one letter changed in your name. If anyone complains roll your eyes and call them new school scrubs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Find a cliff.

Apply gravity.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

theironjef posted:

When you say culture, you mean like how the contents of petri dishes are sometimes called culture?
It's really weird. They're great guys to play most other RPGs with. Our Dungeon World game went great, and I'm running a Fate game that's going well. They're just really old school about D&D.

Which is extra weird, since the oldest version most of them played is Pathfinder... But then again maybe that's the problem.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

ImpactVector posted:

Technically I have a +1 total, since I put one of my human +1s in the 11. Final array was 10, 12, 12, 8, 8, 13. Which also just let me squeak by on the bard MC requirements.

It doesn't let you meet the Fighter MC prereqs until level 4 though. When you multiclass, you need to meet that stat prereqs for all your classes, not just the new one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

Find a cliff.

Apply gravity.

I can never get the whole mindset of "a player that isn't satisfied with the character they're playing needs to kill themselves first or some other arm-twisting bullshit just to remake their character" in an RPG where nobody's holding a gun to your head and there's no computer code to hold you back from "respeccing".

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Red Metal posted:

It doesn't let you meet the Fighter MC prereqs until level 4 though. When you multiclass, you need to meet that stat prereqs for all your classes, not just the new one.
Hmm, really? That's brutal. Guess I missed that. Here I was hoping I could make it work 100% RAW. But a +3 to hit is pretty awful.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ImpactVector posted:

Which is extra weird, since the oldest version most of them played is Pathfinder... But then again maybe that's the problem.

Woah wait hold everything there were D&D editions before Pathfinder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can never get the whole mindset of "a player that isn't satisfied with the character they're playing needs to kill themselves first or some other arm-twisting bullshit just to remake their character" in an RPG where nobody's holding a gun to your head and there's no computer code to hold you back from "respeccing".
I once had a DM force an alignment change to Lawful on my freshly made new character because he thought I was changing characters too much. Apart from everything else appalingly wrong with that, it was also a Bard.

Truth be told I did tend to be pretty switch-happy in our 3.5 days. We played three 3.5 campaigns and in two of those I went through three characters each, none as a result of character death. They were just all so boring and ineffective to play after a few levels! Why yes, two thirds of them were martials, how did you know.