Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

How long was a typical mercenary contract? One year/campaign season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Raenir Salazar posted:

Out of curiosity will you be publishing in english and where would I be able to get a hold of it when published? I'd be very interested in reading it. :)
my native language is english so yes, and...amazon i guess?

brakeless posted:

How long was a typical mercenary contract? One year/campaign season?
"Three months or the duration of the conflict." The stock legal terms haven't caught up to the part where wars are getting bigger and longer.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Man, the guys who signed up for the duration in 1618 must have felt pretty stupid by the mid 1630ies...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

Man, the guys who signed up for the duration in 1618 must have felt pretty stupid by the mid 1630ies...
Meh, people dissolve their regiments all the time and then raise new ones, they probably would have been abgedankt a while into it

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

"Three months or the duration of the conflict." The stock legal terms haven't caught up to the part where wars are getting bigger and longer.

Does fighting ever go on during winter, or does a regiment just make themselves at large in some poor city, or do they disband for the winter?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

Meh, people dissolve their regiments all the time and then raise new ones, they probably would have been abgedankt a while into it

A couple weeks ago I finally read the book from Peter Englund about the 30-Years-War and it was darkly amusing to see armies continually shrinking and growing because of this (and disease).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Joke from the BEF circa 1917:

"How long are you signed up for, chum?"
"I signed for seven years, or Duration."
"You're lucky! I'm Duration."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAL posted:

Was there a legal definition of what exactly the current conflict was? Did the contemporaries see the 30YW as one giant thing, or are the conflicts against the Bohemians, Frederick V, Danes, Swedes, French, and Miscellaneous recognized as separate things? Does everybody stop caring about the difference two years in?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

brakeless posted:

Does fighting ever go on during winter, or does a regiment just make themselves at large in some poor city, or do they disband for the winter?
It's not supposed to: the season pauses from around December-ish (the battle of White Mountain took place just before the season ended) to around March. During winter, you find winter quarters, preferably in a place that has not experienced war yet, since they have more resources. Armies used to disband for the winter, but during the 30YW they no longer do since it's less of a hassle to simply keep soldiers on--and, since everyone owes their soldiers back pay and that bill would have to be settled when they leave, it's cheaper too.

Libluini posted:

A couple weeks ago I finally read the book from Peter Englund about the 30-Years-War and it was darkly amusing to see armies continually shrinking and growing because of this (and disease).
And the dudes start leaving when you don't have enough resources for them, or they leave after a huge defeat and start trickling back a month or so later, etc

Edit: As far as quartering and provisions are concerned, I found A Quaint Proverb: Every soldier needs three peasants. One to provide his food, one to provide his wife, and one to take his place in Hell.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 2, 2015

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
In honor of the new avengers movie, can someone tell me about the history of comic books as propaganda?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Here is another channel for the cool guns list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-D3nN4QycM

On the subject of mercenary training, in Ireland if you join a gallowglass battle (what they call their regiments) you get apprenticed to a serving soldier who you kind of squire for. Each gallowglass was supposed to have 2, although I think only one goes into battle to watch his masters back with some javelins or a bow, or even a gun if it's late enough. There is a dedicated guy in each battle to handle training of new recruits, and as hegel said all the equipment is rented from the officers (gallowglass battles are a family business), so if you lose or damage anything there is a fine. Except for your helmet, if you show up to a fight with no helmet there is no fine because you're considered as good as dead.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mycroft Holmes posted:

In honor of the new avengers movie, can someone tell me about the history of comic books as propaganda?

I don't know about comic books, but I really dig reformation era propaganda cartoons.

"Martin Luther Five Aces Seven Heads", 1529
The heads are labelled: a doctor, a saint, an unfaithful, a priest, a fanatic, a Church supervisor and Barabbas.

"Seven-headed papacy", 1530
"The Antichist has the heads of the Pope and his lieutenants, and makes fun of the mock about the Luther satiric portraits. The Beast is sat in an Mammon altar. The text close to the image explains that the Pope’s court has impersonated the God’s altar and declares itself God. It´s identified as an idol, demanding monetary tributes as Indulgences. So, the Roman Church is condemned by its proper representations. The altar is located over a chest plenty of money with the Devil: it´s the Reign of Satan. The intention of this print is to mock about an instrument of catholic piety: devotional prints."

It seems that as a 16th century ecclesiastical debate grew longer, the probability of a comparison involving the Anti-Christ approached 1.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

(gallowglass battles are a family business)
Is that a clan thing, like how the Mackay Regiment of Foot that worked for Sweden was not only run by a guy named Mackay, just about everyone in it had the last name Mackay as well?

In areas of Europe where they don't have clans, historians know war is a family profession at the elite level, like how the Piccolominis and Montecuccolis were all soldiers and only a few of them ended up famous, but it's the same at more plebeian levels, like the company I found where like a third of the guys had the last name Klepper.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Antichrist is the Hitler of the middle ages.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

Every soldier needs three peasants. One to provide his food, one to provide his wife, and one to take his place in Hell.

lol

Thanks for the answers, you study some pretty interesting stuff.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Is that a clan thing, like how the Mackay Regiment of Foot that worked for Sweden was not only run by a guy named Mackay, just about everyone in it had the last name Mackay as well?

In areas of Europe where they don't have clans, historians know war is a family profession at the elite level, like how the Piccolominis and Montecuccolis were all soldiers and only a few of them ended up famous, but it's the same at more plebeian levels, like the company I found where like a third of the guys had the last name Klepper.

If you were from a gallowglass family you would go into the family business and end up an officer but they would take anyone who met a basic height/weight requirement and train them up. It's been suggested that a lot of long serving recruits would adopt the surname of the gallowglass family unit they had just joined, in the hope of a promotion. Becoming a gallowglass seems to be more of a life choice than contract based work

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Comic books as propaganda is a broad term. Political cartoons have been around since ancient Egypt, and they're the most common way someone uses a comic to propagandize their opinion. As for comic books, there are many examples of comic books created specifically for propaganda purposes, and of existing ones co-opted to push a message.

Of comics created specifically for information, some are simple information guides. In Vietnam, the US army issued gun maintenance manuals in comic book form because it made soldiers more likely to read them. Then there are comics created to spread a message to a target audience. such as

Is This Tomorrow? was distributed to American children in 1947 by an anti-communist group.

An information leaflet dropped on Iraq in 1990 urging Saddam's forces to surrender.

Bilderbogen vom Kriege, a series of comic books created in Nazi Germany.

Beyond purpose-made propaganda pieces, there are endless examples of for-profit comics with a propagandist theme. American comic publishers would sometimes ask artists to produce comics on provocative subject matter or pushing a certain viewpoint.

Superman, a character created in 1933, battles the Axis. Compare the caricature of Hitler to the stereotype-heavy image of Hideki Tojo.

Excerpt from an Archie spinoff sold by Spire Christian Comics.

In The Blue Lotus (1935), Tintin travels to China. This book, set during the 1931 invasion, takes a justifiably anti-Japanese viewpoint. The author Hergé worked with the artist Zhang Chongren to learn about correctly depicting China. Earlier Tintin books were commissioned to spread anti-communist, anti-liberal, pro-colonialist views. In this one, Hergé hoped to promote better racial understanding and work against the common viewpoint that the Japanese were rightfully creating a bulwark against communism in Asia.

In 1954, the Comics Code Authority began enforcing rules on any comic books to be sold in chain retailers. A comic would not be approved, among other things, if it portrayed a police officer disrespectfully, contained excessive violence, any nudity, any reference to extramarital affairs, or any depictions of vampires. Early in the code's existence, they tried to censor the anti-racism comic Judgment Day, because the protagonist was black. By the standards of the arbitrary enforcers of the Comics Code, a reference to sweat on a black man's skin is too obscene for publication.

How's that? I'm not sure exactly what you meant by the question, since it's such a broad area.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: As far as quartering and provisions are concerned, I found A Quaint Proverb: Every soldier needs three peasants. One to provide his food, one to provide his wife, and one to take his place in Hell.

This is awesome.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Valiant Hearts: The Great War is 75% off on Steam at the moment. It's a deal, it's a steal, it's Sale of the Fuckin' Century. If you have even the slightest tolerance for puzzlers (and this one isn't particularly tricky, I'm quite dim and I got through it), you should play it, it's pretty great.

100 Years Ago

The BEF begins retiring to the GHQ Line at Ypres, and one of the Canadians who's been relieved takes stock of the casualties. The Ottomans take the offensive on Gallipoli, to no great effect. The Germans are planning something on the Eastern Front to distract the Russians from trying to break through the Carpathians and into Hungary. Herbert Sulzbach goes on a pleasant night stroll, and Grigoris Balakian at Cankiri conducts a very emotional service for the arrested Armenian leaders.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

They were paid to stay the gently caress away from friendly cities. I don't think people had a high opinion of them.
Cities can resist quartering unless it's imposed upon them deliberately as punishment; villages can't. Funny story:

quote:

Civic leaders believed that the corporate identity of townspeople distinguished them from the surrounding countryside. Their increasing emphasis on respect for local power and orderly behaviour within the city’s walls is reflected in the council’s response to a soldier arrested towards the end of the war for drunken misconduct and resisting a local guard. Members of the council asked the soldier if he thought himself to be in ‘a village, where he might defy and brutalise people at will’, rather than in a locality in which ‘better council’ was appropriate.
Barbara Tlusty, The Public House and Military Culture in Germany, 1500–1648

This is comparable to the usual Spanish cry of outrage to someone behaving himself terribly: "Where do you think you are, in Flanders?"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 1, 2015

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Chamale posted:

In 1954, the Comics Code Authority began enforcing rules on any comic books to be sold in chain retailers. A comic would not be approved, among other things, if it portrayed a police officer disrespectfully, contained excessive violence, any nudity, any reference to extramarital affairs, or any depictions of vampires.

Vampires? Why vampires in particular? :confused:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Slaan posted:

:pervert: I'll take metaphors for sex for 200.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Klaus88 posted:

:pervert: I'll take metaphors for sex for 200.

That's probably it, basically vampires were the personification of kink/promiscuity. Stoker's portrayal touched on that a little bit but it wasn't like "DEY BLUDSUCKAS BE FUCKIN' ALL DE TIME" so much as "Dracula was hung like a horse and loved to gently caress."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I've never seen them as metaphors for sex. Sexy? Sure. But normally its more of a class thing- feudal overlords literally sucking the underclass dry.

So I guess I can see an anti-communist edge in there?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slaan posted:

I've never seen them as metaphors for sex. Sexy? Sure. But normally its more of a class thing- feudal overlords literally sucking the underclass dry.

BLOOD IS RED, THE COLOR OF THE COMMUNIST

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Slaan posted:

There's a real strong element of seduction to the early vampire stories.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

xthetenth posted:

There's a real strong element of seduction to the early vampire stories.

Yeah. See also Carmilla which was about lesbian vampires:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmilla

Vampires in fiction don't generally prey on the underclass, anyway. The typical victim is more likely some lonely middle-class/upper-class woman, often the main character's girlfriend.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 1, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So Blackulas were the greatest enemy of the comics code eh?

Trin Tragula posted:

Valiant Hearts: The Great War is 75% off on Steam at the moment. It's a deal, it's a steal, it's Sale of the Fuckin' Century. If you have even the slightest tolerance for puzzlers (and this one isn't particularly tricky, I'm quite dim and I got through it), you should play it, it's pretty great.

Your heart will be broken though. Such a pretty game.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slaan posted:

Mostly it was because any kind of horror or gore was shunned as harmful to kids.

• No comic magazine shall use the words "horror" or "terror" in its title.

• Scenes of excessive violence shall be prohibited. Scenes of brutal torture, excessive and unnecessary knife and gunplay, physical agony, gory and gruesome crime shall be eliminated.

• Scenes dealing with, or instruments associated with walking dead, torture, vampires and vampirism, ghouls, cannibalism, and werewolfism are prohibited.

Although you can also make a point about the popular portrayal of salacious vampires, even though I don't think it was the main reason:

• Seduction and rape shall never be shown or suggested.

Also,
  • Females shall be drawn realistically without exaggeration of any physical qualities.
Maila Nurmi (aka. Vampira aka. Bat Lawn)

dat waist :captainpop:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 1, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Not to drag out the TFR derail but the guy who was interested in military arms might want to check out the milsurp thread as well. Lots of people in there with lots of knowledge about old guns, both academic and practical.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Is there a good book on the Allied administrative/medical efforts to care for the inhabitants of the liberated concentration camps? You're trucking across Europe with a medical apparatus intended to treat soldiers wounded in combat, and you find yourself taking care of tens of thousands of people dying from starvation and disease, so you've got to shift gears a bit. And I'd expect the Soviets to handle things differently at Ravensbrueck than the Americans did at Buchenwald, etc.

My grandfather served in the 112th Evacuation Hospital. I do have a four-page history of the unit that he was given at a reunion, but it's badly written and was done so 40 years later. He died years ago, so unfortunately, the only references I have to anything they might have done is this.

quote:

We crossed the Blue Danube (which was muddy) up through Augsburg and started to see along the road and countryside numerous prisoners who had fled Dachau concentration camp. Our route led us past Dachau, through Munich and then down the Autobahn that runs from Munich to Salzburg, Austria. It was here we saw how the Germans had utilized the Autobahn as an air strip and hid their planes in the forests on each side, blowing [up] the alpine bridges, which we circumnavigated. We set up our fifth operational site (remember the mud) [;] some of us were on temporary TDY at Bad Reichenhall and Bertchesgaden, but back to the mud site where we still were receiving 80th military and civilian casualties. Many victims were the result of mines which saturated the area, car accidents and not to be forgotten, accidental gunshot wounds of military personnel.

[a few lines about the good fishing!]

After finishing our stint at the Obsersee location, we moved to the Rasthaus and Chiemsee which in this writer's experience, our last and sixth setup. Although an evac. hospital, we operated essentially as a small station hospital. The facilities were excellent both as its use as a hospital (it had already been set up as one by the Germans), but also quarters for billeting our detachment. Numerous displaced persons were utilized as additional help, and in some cases German PW's.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

golden bubble posted:

So you're saying Generation Kill is the most accurate portrayal of the American soldier in media?

It's honestly pretty close.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nenonen posted:

I don't know about comic books, but I really dig reformation era propaganda cartoons.

"Martin Luther Five Aces Seven Heads", 1529
The heads are labelled: a doctor, a saint, an unfaithful, a priest, a fanatic, a Church supervisor and Barabbas.

"Seven-headed papacy", 1530
"The Antichist has the heads of the Pope and his lieutenants, and makes fun of the mock about the Luther satiric portraits. The Beast is sat in an Mammon altar. The text close to the image explains that the Pope’s court has impersonated the God’s altar and declares itself God. It´s identified as an idol, demanding monetary tributes as Indulgences. So, the Roman Church is condemned by its proper representations. The altar is located over a chest plenty of money with the Devil: it´s the Reign of Satan. The intention of this print is to mock about an instrument of catholic piety: devotional prints."

It seems that as a 16th century ecclesiastical debate grew longer, the probability of a comparison involving the Anti-Christ approached 1.

More like Popeaganda, am I right? :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there was also some politicking there, with some rules of the comics code crafted to specifically gently caress over certain comic makers like William Gaines. Without the comics code, I don't think superheroes would have gotten as big as they did. It was really the only way to make an exciting story and still keep within the moral guidelines.

And in 2011 DC and Archie finally broke away from the comics code, rendering it defunct. Most of the companies that were around for its conception either went under or were bought up.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Trin Tragula posted:

Nonono, do it like you would do patent medicine. I'm thinking "GERMAN OFFENSIVES ARE RUNNING OUT OF STEAM... BUT DR GABRIEL NEWELL'S VIDEO GAME EMPORIUM ISN'T!"

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013
Armoured Commander is a roguelike about commanding a Sherman tank during the Normandy breakout. Fight big cats (I've never seen a Tiger yet), get brewed up like a kettle when you get hit, pray that you escape alive. Sadly there are no playable tank destroyers.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FAUXTON posted:

That's probably it, basically vampires were the personification of kink/promiscuity. Stoker's portrayal touched on that a little bit but it wasn't like "DEY BLUDSUCKAS BE FUCKIN' ALL DE TIME" so much as "Dracula was hung like a horse and loved to gently caress."

lol what

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I basically can't stand long running superhero comics and am only interested in them in an archaeological sense. As in, "oh ho ho ho, what did those wacky 50s era Americans enjoy?".

For instance, I've read Iron Man #1, and it's is virulently racist.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Modern comics have been thankfully rebooted so many times that only collectors now truly need to give a gently caress about the first issues.

Old comics are weird. Somebody needs to review Tin Tin In The Land Of The Soviets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

GenericRX posted:

Armoured Commander is a roguelike about commanding a Sherman tank during the Normandy breakout. Fight big cats (I've never seen a Tiger yet), get brewed up like a kettle when you get hit, pray that you escape alive. Sadly there are no playable tank destroyers.

Gave this thing a go. On my first day I drove through some fields, got ambushed by an AT gun, fired at it ineffectively at point blank range while it killed off my friendly tanks with every shot, and then died upon trying to exit my tank. Nice.

• Locked thread