Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Eponymous posted:

The PC mindset in a nutshell.

It never doesn't work! If you can think of a better way to reliably get into the heart of the enemy's most secure strongholds, I'm all ears!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Rannos22 posted:

It never doesn't work! If you can think of a better way to reliably get into the heart of the enemy's most secure strongholds, I'm all ears!

I know, but in the context of a planet-scouring menace whose main ship houses a force presence that broadcasts rage and hunger, it maybe shouldn't be plan A? (I'm the GM for the group.)

BTW, if anybody's interested I brewed stats for the Venator here:

quote:

Silhouette 8, Speed 2, Handling -3

2 shields all around, 9 Armor, 135 hull, 55 stress

Manufacturer: Kuat Drive Yards
Hyperdrive: Class 1, Backup: Class 15
Navicomputer: Yes
Sensor Range: Long
Ship's Complement: 7400
Starfighter Complement: 420
Encumberance Capaticty: 9000
Passenger Capacity: 2000
Consumables: 18 Months
Price/Rarity: 59 million/(R)6
Customization HP: 4

Weapons:
8 heavy dual turbolaser turrets (Fire arc forward, port, or starboard; Damage 11; Critical 3; Range[Long]; Breach 4; Linked 1, Slow-Firing 2).
(These are said to rival I-Class turbolasers so I just copied the stats of those, but there also some stuff about different tracking modes and seven power settings? I'm not quite sure how to model that, or if it's just fluff.)

2 medium dual turbolaser turrets (One forward and port, one forward and starboard; Damage 10; Critical 3; Range[Medium]; Breach 3; Linked 1, Slow-Firing 1).

52 point-defense dual laser cannons (13 each on fore, port, starboard, and aft; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range[Close]; Accurate 1, Linked 1).

6 tractor beam projectors (Fire arc all; Damage -; Crit -; Range[Short]; Tractor 6).

4 heavy proton torpedo launchers (Fire arc forward; Damage 8; Crit 2; Range[Short]; Blast 6, Breach 6, Guided 2, Limited Ammo 16, Slow-Firing 1).

Massive 1: When making an attack targeting this starship, treat the Critical rating of any weapons used as 1 higher.

Pretty much just halfway between a Victory and an I-Class, with main guns that match the former and a big fighter complement.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Interesting you should mention a Venetor as I am using one as a big plot point in the game I started running this week for a bunch of rpg newbies. I railroaded them pretty heavily for their first session, since they have never really played anything like this before, but once they complete their first job I plan to open things up. I am treating this almost as a prequel to explain how they got together and got a ship, as well as an opportunity to earn some party-wide obligation.

The first session was them sneaking into a small astrogation array converted into a smugglers base on a desolate planet to steal some important sensor data for their employer. I had the smugglers radio them and pretend to be imperials to scare them off when they got picked up jumping right into the edge of the atmosphere (3 success with a triumph and 3 threat!) and they decided to try and pretend to be imperials back, which they did really well - with a lot a of threat. So the smugglers panicked and opened fire with their one AA weapon.

I thought that was quite a good way to use the threat, "Yep they believe you are imperials all right, so much so that now they are panicking" Is this correct or was it too powerful an effect?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Character Builder link in OP not working, is there a new link?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Elendil004 posted:

Character Builder link in OP not working, is there a new link?

Just updated with a working link.

edit: small F&D BG preview. That art :allears: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/4/27/your-journey-begins/

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm trying to set up a game of EotE with my Saturday gaming group.

They want to play as a party of Hutt vigilantes.

Imagine HO HO HO on a constant loop.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Just remember that Hutts can only spend one Maneuver moving.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Yes but if it becomes a foot chase they are unstoppable locomotives.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A Hutt PC just joined my group. We've had one combat so far. Since he's a Politician, he was negotiating with the Imperial Customs Officer, and when things turned deadly he could just pull out his beat stick and brawn the poo poo out of this dude, even though he has 0 combat skills trained.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So a bunch of people were interested in my live game, but then no one submits characters. :smithicide:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

So a bunch of people were interested in my live game, but then no one submits characters. :smithicide:

Did we decide on a day and time? That's my only roadblock

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

I was also waiting on there to be a posted day/time, since my schedule really only reliably allows for Sunday early evenings. I can certainly post a character tomorrow, along with my availability, if that'll help.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

Did we decide on a day and time? That's my only roadblock

Trilas posted:

I was also waiting on there to be a posted day/time, since my schedule really only reliably allows for Sunday early evenings. I can certainly post a character tomorrow, along with my availability, if that'll help.

This is what discussion within the thread is for.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Also, if they are maverick police who play by their own rules instead of vigilantes, you could name the campaign HUTT FUZZ.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

homullus posted:

Also, if they are maverick police who play by their own rules instead of vigilantes, you could name the campaign HUTT FUZZ.

I'm pushing this so hard on them now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm pushing this so hard on them now.

I demand royalties.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
If you get that to work they need to uncover a secret conspiracy about a "Most opulent sail-barge" contest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

unseenlibrarian posted:

If you get that to work they need to uncover a secret conspiracy about a "Most opulent sail-barge" contest.

The Greater Grub?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Fuzz posted:

Going to whip up a character for this.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

We're playing an all droid party in our next in person game, any advice on ways to not get restraining bolted into slavery? Pitfalls, etc?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Elendil004 posted:

We're playing an all droid party in our next in person game, any advice on ways to not get restraining bolted into slavery?
Beep boop kill all humans.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Elendil004 posted:

We're playing an all droid party in our next in person game, any advice on ways to not get restraining bolted into slavery? Pitfalls, etc?

Three main ways

A: Be as inoffensive as possible so it doesn't cross the organ sacks minds to fit a restraining bolt

B: Have a fake bolt installed so they think you already had one

C: Be so gunned and armoured up that it takes a couple of platoons of Stormtroopers to take you down (Heavy battle armour, personal deflector field, heavy blaster rifle, shooting class)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Will they be wearing rancor, wampa, and other animal masks while they commit their killings?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My wookie wants armor but he still wants to look fearsome and organic, so we're going to find him some hide armor. And any weapons made out of giant animal bones would be good as well.

Actually that's an interesting plot hook. Hunt and kill <animal> to use its <part> to craft a new weapon.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Actually that's an interesting plot hook. Hunt and kill <animal> to use its <part> to craft a new weapon.
Hello sir,

My name is Everblight from a major game development company. Would you like to work for us designing an MMO? You appear to have all the qualifications of a perfect Quest Designer job.

Looking forward to speaking with you,

:zombie:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

FISHMANPET posted:

My wookie wants armor but he still wants to look fearsome and organic, so we're going to find him some hide armor. And any weapons made out of giant animal bones would be good as well.

Play monster hunter.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And then get a pair of soggy boots in return.

Perfect!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Play monster hunter.

A Star Wars Monster Hunter game would actually be pretty awesome...

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Fuzz posted:

A Star Wars Monster Hunter game would actually be pretty awesome...

Gonna go hunt a krayt dragon so I get a pearl so I can make my lightsaber cooler.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Gonna go hunt a krayt dragon so I get a pearl so I can make my lightsaber cooler.

gently caress that, real hunters use stokli and gaffi sticks. :smugbert:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fuzz posted:

gently caress that, real hunters use stokli and gaffi sticks.

URRRRRRRRHURHURHURHUR

I would love to run an all-Tusken game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Endman posted:

URRRRRRRRHURHURHURHUR

you rang?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Endman posted:

URRRRRRRRHURHURHURHUR

I would love to run an all-Tusken game.

An epic space opera in the making. I so would play in one.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
One of our players purchased a gaffi stick with his starting funds, and later tried to sell it. He blew the negotiation roll.

Which meant he sidled up to two hooded dudes in a cantina and said, "You wanna buy some gaffi sticks?"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Thanqol posted:

One of our players purchased a gaffi stick with his starting funds, and later tried to sell it. He blew the negotiation roll.

Which meant he sidled up to two hooded dudes in a cantina and said, "You wanna buy some gaffi sticks?"

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Parsed this as a Die Hard reference which would be a sick mash up now that I think of it

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Thanqol posted:

He obviously didn't want to sell them gaffi sticks, he really just wanted to go home and rethink his life.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Parsed this as a Die Hard reference which would be a sick mash up now that I think of it

Well, now I've got an idea for something my party can do if they don't join the Rebellion fully.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My players are having some trouble with space combat. The shooty people understand how to shoot the guns, and the social characters understand their lot in life, but actually my pilot(s) are feeling underwhelmed. Specifically the Pilot asked "what can I do" and my answer was... not very much? There doesn't seem to be much as far as actual pilot checks to be made during space combat. One of the players suggested we try and run it a little slower, so we're more precise about speeds, ranges, facings, etc, and to get some minis or models or something.

So FFG has a minis game, but that's pretty expensive, and also I'm limited to whatever FFG has produced. There are Wizards Starship Battles minis I can find online, which is cheaper, but same problem of being limited to what I can get. I don't wanna go so abstract and just pick up a random object like a drink coaster and say "this is your YT-1300." Does anyone have any idea? I have a printer, I could print something out, but I don't think I'd want to just find pictures of the ships and print them out, would I?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

My players are having some trouble with space combat. The shooty people understand how to shoot the guns, and the social characters understand their lot in life, but actually my pilot(s) are feeling underwhelmed. Specifically the Pilot asked "what can I do" and my answer was... not very much? There doesn't seem to be much as far as actual pilot checks to be made during space combat. One of the players suggested we try and run it a little slower, so we're more precise about speeds, ranges, facings, etc, and to get some minis or models or something.

So, if hes a pilot character. Give him his own ship. If hes part of a larger ship hes just going to evasive and maybe a gain the advantage every now and again. If hes in his own X-wing or Z-95 or something hes taking maneuvers and attacking and since hes faster than the main party ship. He can be zipping from enemy ship to enemy ship, keeping them off the rest. Use the party ship as the center of the fight and the fighters/small craft zipping around it as the main ship operates more as a set piece rather than an actual combat ship under the FFG rpg system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

So FFG has a minis game, but that's pretty expensive, and also I'm limited to whatever FFG has produced. There are Wizards Starship Battles minis I can find online, which is cheaper, but same problem of being limited to what I can get. I don't wanna go so abstract and just pick up a random object like a drink coaster and say "this is your YT-1300." Does anyone have any idea? I have a printer, I could print something out, but I don't think I'd want to just find pictures of the ships and print them out, would I?

Also, you can avoid all vehicle combat. I don't find it fun and stick to boarding actions, blockade runs, and chases when I do it at all.