Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

My set will be here in two days. That said, what are the most common mistakes I'll make as an Imperial player? Most common for the poor rebel bastards? Any tips for the both of us, since you guys have some play time in?

Did one playthrough with a friend the other day, we both used our fighters pretty poorly. It seems the TIEs are built for anti-squadron use (especially in a swarm, just brutal) and the X-Wings are anti-ship. We used them exactly the opposite as they should have. Oh well. I was playing Imperial and wasn't very good at keeping things in front of me to use all 6 of those dice on the front of the ship.

I think the only rule we kept forgetting were the anti-squadron dice are different than the dice printed on the base card for the ships.

I also agree that the Imps are a little under powered on the starter scenario. The only way we made it close was the Corvette was running too fast to make a turn and flew off the board.

All in all, it was a blast to play. Even more fun than X-Wing IMHO. Can't wait for the expansions.

Blooregard fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

That's also a thing I've learned playing with the Corvette. It's greatest asset is it's speed, but ALWAYS staying in speed 4 will get you killed far more than sitting in the front arc of the Victory ever will. Sure you could take 8 damage in the front, but you can half that and then send the damage to your useless butt sector. You cant half the damage from going past the know galaxy

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

That's also a thing I've learned playing with the Corvette. It's greatest asset is it's speed, but ALWAYS staying in speed 4 will get you killed far more than sitting in the front arc of the Victory ever will. Sure you could take 8 damage in the front, but you can half that and then send the damage to your useless butt sector. You cant half the damage from going past the know galaxy

Getting in the Vic's rear arc seems like a no-brainer, but that just means he'll shoot at you at close range, move away, and you'll be returning fire at medium or long.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Deofuta posted:

I ordered the Plano 1347, which was mentioned in the X Wing thread, and seems to have plenty of space. I also saw a nice video of a smaller Plano being used that had enough space for two core sets worth of figures, which you can see here

I got this, the 1363, I like the idea of buying more of the deep boxes to swap fleets. I had to cut some of the rows though to fit the Vic in there

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I'm planning on getting this here backpack and pluck foam inserts. Should be easy to customize with the pluck foam inserts, uses foam so stuff won't bang around as much, and I don't have to give any money to the battlefoam dude. I'm probably going to wait until Wave 1 hits before I pull the trigger on that, so I can get all the heights I need and such.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I got this, the 1363, I like the idea of buying more of the deep boxes to swap fleets. I had to cut some of the rows though to fit the Vic in there

That looks like a pretty solid case as well. I had used these sorts of containers in the past for warhammer figures, but with all the little tokens and extra pieces I'm really looking forward to using the actual tackle box components as well.

I finally got to play a tutorial game last night, and it was a lot of fun. Armada has a nice quality to it in that it was fairly easy to learn the basics, but has great inclusions like the command dial system and momentum system that give it some cool depth. I had one question from the game though, there seems to be differences in how distance/LOS are measured. Is it from base to base, or from those small yellow sights to the other small yellow sights?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Deofuta posted:

That looks like a pretty solid case as well. I had used these sorts of containers in the past for warhammer figures, but with all the little tokens and extra pieces I'm really looking forward to using the actual tackle box components as well.

I finally got to play a tutorial game last night, and it was a lot of fun. Armada has a nice quality to it in that it was fairly easy to learn the basics, but has great inclusions like the command dial system and momentum system that give it some cool depth. I had one question from the game though, there seems to be differences in how distance/LOS are measured. Is it from base to base, or from those small yellow sights to the other small yellow sights?

The yellow dots are used to determine LOS only, as in, to ensure your shot is not obstructed or passing through the targeted ship's other hull sections. When firing at a target, you just need to measure from base to base, within the selected firing arc.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
This image is a handy reference for the LOS rules:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

FuSchnick posted:

This image is a handy reference for the LOS rules:

Thanks for sharing this, caught a number of things that hadn't clicked for me.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I'm thinking a Victory I with basically everything offensive. Gunnery Team, Weapons Liason, maybe Enhanced Armament. That a bad idea?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Kilo147 posted:

I'm thinking a Victory I with basically everything offensive. Gunnery Team, Weapons Liason, maybe Enhanced Armament. That a bad idea?

In a 180 point game, or 300? If you're only getting 180 points, you need to pour a lot of those into TIEs to counterbalance the heavy load of X-blings that the rebel player (if not completely sucking) will bring. If you've got 300 points to play with, I personally think it's better to pour the points into a Vic-II because of the greater range you have to play with. Also: Dominator + Repair means you can get two bonus blue dice per round as opposed to Concentrate Fire's single bonus die. Way better.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Cobbsprite posted:

In a 180 point game, or 300? If you're only getting 180 points, you need to pour a lot of those into TIEs to counterbalance the heavy load of X-blings that the rebel player (if not completely sucking) will bring. If you've got 300 points to play with, I personally think it's better to pour the points into a Vic-II because of the greater range you have to play with. Also: Dominator + Repair means you can get two bonus blue dice per round as opposed to Concentrate Fire's single bonus die. Way better.

Planning for 300. And apparently I'm half blind. I didn't notice the difference between blue and black on the cards.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

Planning for 300. And apparently I'm half blind. I didn't notice the difference between blue and black on the cards.

Vic-I with the black dice isn't BAD, it's just more specialized. If you can force your opponent into buttfucking range, you can shoot up his rear and ruin him. I've vaporized a CR90 in a single volley that way. But you've got to be able to plan it in, and that's easier said than done.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Cobbsprite posted:

Vic-I with the black dice isn't BAD, it's just more specialized. If you can force your opponent into buttfucking range, you can shoot up his rear and ruin him. I've vaporized a CR90 in a single volley that way. But you've got to be able to plan it in, and that's easier said than done.

That does sound like fun. I'll have to try it out once I start playing games.

Also, anyone have spare TIEs?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kilo147 posted:

That does sound like fun. I'll have to try it out once I start playing games.

Also, anyone have spare TIEs?

I think once TIE interceptors are released everyone will have spare TIEs.

Hot drat, TIE interceptors.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I look forward to rabid fighter trading once the expansions come out. Gonna need more TIE bombers.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

hooman posted:

I think once TIE interceptors are released everyone will have spare TIEs.

Hot drat, TIE interceptors.

Good, I need TIE/LNs and very specific trees. Making 4-fighter squads.
Secondly, I can't find good reference photos, any tips on painting re-entry burn? I want the bottom of my Victory to be scorched slightly
Also, how the hell do people paint perfectly straight lines on Star Destroyers? I'm doing my Victory up in an Empire War at pattern that was used on hero ships. Red piping along the edges and a very specific pattern down the middle.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Reynold posted:

I look forward to rabid fighter trading once the expansions come out. Gonna need more TIE bombers.

4 move and black dice means those rebel side shields are far from safe with a squadron command.

Alternatively keeping a couple behind your capital ship to harass any flanking corvettes.

Kilo147 posted:

Good, I need TIE/LNs and very specific trees. Making 4-fighter squads.
Secondly, I can't find good reference photos, any tips on painting re-entry burn? I want the bottom of my Victory to be scorched slightly
Also, how the hell do people paint perfectly straight lines on Star Destroyers? I'm doing my Victory up in an Empire War at pattern that was used on hero ships. Red piping along the edges and a very specific pattern down the middle.

I have no idea what you are planning but it sounds amazing.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I've done this over maybe 3 hours. Most of that time was watching TV and waiting for paint to dry.

Phase 1: Lighten Victory surface, paint red command markings, seal.

Phase 2: Paint on atmospheric scorching on all proper surfaces and angles

Phase 3: Go over all red markings, brightening and cleaning up an any all as needed.

Phase 4: Acquire properly scaled Imperial ships (100 meters is 15mm) from cargo haulers, and frigates to destroyers and smaller cruisers, paint as necessary and attach to stand to form a small reinforcing fleet.

Phase 5: touch up as necessary, add lighting effects, seal, base, brag.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kilo147 posted:

I've done this over maybe 3 hours. Most of that time was watching TV and waiting for paint to dry.

Phase 1: Lighten Victory surface, paint red command markings, seal.

Phase 2: Paint on atmospheric scorching on all proper surfaces and angles

Phase 3: Go over all red markings, brightening and cleaning up an any all as needed.

Phase 4: Acquire properly scaled Imperial ships (100 meters is 15mm) from cargo haulers, and frigates to destroyers and smaller cruisers, paint as necessary and attach to stand to form a small reinforcing fleet.

Phase 5: touch up as necessary, add lighting effects, seal, base, brag.

Holy poo poo that looks good.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

hooman posted:

Holy poo poo that looks good.

Ties! Haven't finished them, still assembly lining them all. The rest are TIE Grey and have 3 fighters. Howlrunner gets blue, as will the rest of the named pilots. Gonna keep simple patterns on the wings, got 8 different patterns I can use.

Still got a ton of work to do. I'll be done with everything by the time Wave 1 releases and I have the cash for it. So a month or two later. Also want to get the LE Victory card art and have someone give it a once over to add red. I also eventually need to get a second Victory and paint it identical, but in pure white with a crisp red, and lined with a Micron 00 pen. Need one in a Parade scheme. Clean as the day it was made.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 30, 2015

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

D-D-D-DOUBLEPOST!

:siren:IMPORTANT ADVICE FOR ANYONE REPAINTING. FIND THE BEST CAMERA YOU HAVE AND TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES. YOU CAN SEE TEN TIMES BETTER THROUGH THE LENS, USE THAT TO FIND MISTAKES.:siren:

:siren:ADDITIONALLY, THIN YOUR loving PAINTS. THEY DRY FASTER AND SHOW LESS, IF ANY BRUSHSTROKES.:siren:

:siren:IF YOU NEED TO PAINT STRAIGHT LINES, USE MASKING TAPE. PAINT FROM THE TAPE TO THE GAP, AND GO HALFWAY BETWEEN THE TWO STRIPS OF TAPE, AND REPEAT ON THE OTHER SIDE. NEVER BRUSH TORWARDS THE TAPE, YOU'LL GET PAINT UNDERNEATH THE TAPE. USE MULTIPLE THIN COATS.:siren:

:siren:EDGING LOOKS loving AWESOME ON STAR DESTROYERS. GET THE THINNEST BRUSH YOU CAN FIND, MIX YOUR BASE PAINT WITH WHITE AT A 50/50 RATIO AND OUTLINE EVERY. loving. PANEL.:siren:

:siren:NULN OIL. THAT IS ALL.:siren:

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 30, 2015

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Kilo147 posted:

Nuln Oil is the poo poo.

In other news, I am struggling so much to find games of Armada in my city (we don't have a FLGS with room for games) I am now looking at traveling 50 miles via train to play on weekends. :(

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Hey, anyone here live in the Seattle area?

Also, an edged Victory. https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/168878-maxs-fleet/

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 30, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

The only dude I know who plays x-wing recently told me that he won't get into armada until the mon calamari ships come out. I need more nerd friends. There are a few FLGS that run star wars nights, so I'm gonna check those out and see if I find some games. And just after I finished building my game room and table. :negative:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

Also, an edged Victory. https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/168878-maxs-fleet/

I'm northways of Chicago, now. Small but friendly local group, need more. And need goons.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am really looking forward to trying Armada this weekend. A local game store has learn to play games on Saturday nights, and is featuring all Star Wars this Saturday. X-Wing, Armada, and Imperial Assault.

I am guessing I am going to end up buying Armada, but at its price point, I wanted a trial game to make sure. I also have to hope that there is organized play at some point.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Kilo147 posted:

I live up north, but work in Redmond. Just got my core set, but have noone to play with yet. I was thinking about doing a demo night at my FLGS (in a small town, where they don't really have a community for anything other than Magic yet).

[E] I do have a friend in Bellevue who would be interested, but I just got him hooked on X-Wing two weeks ago and he is already buying that up like a madman.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

FuSchnick posted:

I live up north, but work in Redmond. Just got my core set, but have noone to play with yet. I was thinking about doing a demo night at my FLGS (in a small town, where they don't really have a community for anything other than Magic yet).

[E] I do have a friend in Bellevue who would be interested, but I just got him hooked on X-Wing two weeks ago and he is already buying that up like a madman.

Where up north? Maltby? Cathcart?

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
Anyone know where to play Armada in DFW

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

MadWOPR posted:

Anyone know where to play Armada in DFW

Move out of Texas. Seriously, what you want is Madness Games and Comics in Plano. Huge community there for X-wing and a growing one for Armada. Casual league on Thursday nights.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Kilo147 posted:

Did you thin out the nuln oil? Also did you spray a base primer or did you paint over the existing paint job?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cobbsprite posted:

I'm northways of Chicago, now. Small but friendly local group, need more. And need goons.

Where at?

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

Cobbsprite posted:

Move out of Texas. Seriously, what you want is Madness Games and Comics in Plano. Huge community there for X-wing and a growing one for Armada. Casual league on Thursday nights.

I'd been by that place before and I knew they did x wing, do I just bring my stuff and show up?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

MadWOPR posted:

I'd been by that place before and I knew they did x wing, do I just bring my stuff and show up?

Pretty much. You don't even need to bring your A-game. Just bring your stuff and a friendly demeanor, and you can play with other like-minded spaceship fans. They will undoubtedly try to trick you into liking their Facebook page. Don't do it, Facebook is evil and must be destroyed.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Kilo147 posted:

Where up north? Maltby? Cathcart?
Monroe, pretty close!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Big McHuge posted:

Did you thin out the nuln oil? Also did you spray a base primer or did you paint over the existing paint job?

My primer didn't take. Using Bob Ross brand gesso, it shrinks as it dries, so detail is crisp. It works great on 40k minis, just not this. I just washed the model and painted right on it. Also, I figured 3 colors wasn't enough. Redid the red and used a light grey on raised panels and did some minimal edging.

Aha! I already see a few areas where the red bled. Couldn't see those with the old Mk Is. And either brush strokes or damage from the masking tape. Can't see it without the camera. Holy crap, A lot of things to fix. Need to bring out the nuln oil and a super tiny drybrush.

Also if anyone has one, I need the old Starship Battles Immobilizer 418. It's within 10% of proper scale and goddammit, I need it on the base of this one. And I need to put custom printed decals on every ship. I'm making a by the books Heavy Attack Line with each ship designated as a member of the Line, and numbered accordingly.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 30, 2015

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Rockford area.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My GF ordered a copy of Armada on Monday from CSI to be shipped to her office (we live in an apartment and don't like having high dollar things left on the doorstep). Well, she came home today with not one, but two copies! Apparently CSI shipped a duplicate order, but we were only charged for one.

Any tips on making our first game a smooth one? I've got a lot more miniatures experience, but we both play a lot of complicated board games. I just want to give her the best chance of getting hooked right away so I can justify buying more ships in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Big McHuge posted:

My GF ordered a copy of Armada on Monday from CSI to be shipped to her office (we live in an apartment and don't like having high dollar things left on the doorstep). Well, she came home today with not one, but two copies! Apparently CSI shipped a duplicate order, but we were only charged for one.

Any tips on making our first game a smooth one? I've got a lot more miniatures experience, but we both play a lot of complicated board games. I just want to give her the best chance of getting hooked right away so I can justify buying more ships in the future.

Let the wookie win.

When I want to intro someone to a game I let them pick the side and generally spend my time making sure they're having fun, nothing you probably dont already know. She might have a better time with the Rebels as the Empire's one ship is a bit of a whale the first few times.