Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

The frustrating thing is that Sierra could flip back to Mike, but she's so concerned about it being an ineffective move because she's 'only one person'. She could have made a women's alliance earlier in the game as well - nope, not strong enough. I mean, she's got a hard road ahead, since Carolyn's tight with Tyler, Rodney doesn't see the threat Tyler is, and Will and Dan are useless as well as scum.

Next vote Mike's guaranteed safe unless he's dumb enough not to play the idol. So I'm guessing Dan, Tyler or Sierra are on the block.

I'm definitely feeling Dan will flip back to Mike. Maybe Sierra for the convenience of voting out Tyler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I know I sound like a broken record, but I must be missing something: how does anyone here expect one of Rodney's four to go home next week? Even if Sierra and Dan BOTH flip and Dan uses the extra vote, it's a 4-4 tie and on the re-vote Dan has already used his extra vote. There's no way to trick Rodney's alliance into splitting the vote, since even if they think they have Sierra, 5 votes isn't enough to split the vote against 2 people with Dan's extra vote (which Tyler knows about).

Do people think someone in Rodney's four will flip? Otherwise, the only scenario in which one of the Rodney 4 leaves is if Mike gets lucky and plays the idol on the right person (and he already showed this episode that he's not really planning on playing it on anyone but himself). Even IF Mike plays it correctly, Carolyn can counter-play her idol if she has an idea about who Mike voted for. And keep in mind that Mike has been proudly announcing his vote and seems completely unaware of Carolyn's idol.

What am I missing here?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

mancalamania posted:

I know I sound like a broken record, but I must be missing something: how does anyone here expect one of Rodney's four to go home next week? Even if Sierra and Dan BOTH flip and Dan uses the extra vote, it's a 4-4 tie and on the re-vote Dan has already used his extra vote. There's no way to trick Rodney's alliance into splitting the vote, since even if they think they have Sierra, 5 votes isn't enough to split the vote against 2 people with Dan's extra vote (which Tyler knows about).

Do people think someone in Rodney's four will flip? Otherwise, the only scenario in which one of the Rodney 4 leaves is if Mike gets lucky and plays the idol on the right person (and he already showed this episode that he's not really planning on playing it on anyone but himself). Even IF Mike plays it correctly, Carolyn can counter-play her idol if she has an idea about who Mike voted for. And keep in mind that Mike has been proudly announcing his vote and seems completely unaware of Carolyn's idol.

What am I missing here?

The question everyone but Mike has to ask themselves is "Do we think that anyone but Tyler can win against Mike in an immunity challenge?" If the answer is yes, it would make a lot of sense for everyone of them to vote Tyler out, as he is the second biggest jury and challenge threat.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Use Rodney's hubris against him and point out to him that Tyler and Carolyn are tight and will dispose of him because he's so good at Survivor they know they have no chance of winning against him. If you frame it as Rodney being so amazing that he's a threat to his people, he'll be dumb enough to think himself to death.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Piell posted:

Mike is gonna win and Mike is basically Jeff's wet dream

This.

It sucks because Mike is bad at survivor, but he's got this in the bag inspite of himself. I'd rather see Tyler win, he seems like a pretty smart guy and a solid player.

Edit: Sierra randomly being good at barrel rolls was pretty hilarious.

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 30, 2015

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Unless something crazy happens, I could see Dan going to the end because he is a great goat at this point, but I dont quite know how I see Tyler or Carolyn going out. Mike would have to go on a hell of a run to make sure he stays safe.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My dream outcome is that Tyler wins immunity and Mike plays his idol. Carolyn is voted out. Then Tyler and Mike team up and concoct some insane plan that works

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The Tyler edit is very strange. A key problem with this season at this point is the lack of people to root for, since everyone left are seemingly horrible people. I feel like Tyler is someone people could have rooted for, if they didn't have him edited as a complete nonentity. Even if flying under the radar was a part of his strategy, they should have at least showed way more of his confessionals. We got a Tyler confessional this episode for the first time in what seems forever. It's especially strange since now everyone is all "Tyler is such a threat! He's going to win" etc etc. I have a hard time mustering any enthusiasm for supporting him because he's just not been a character in the games edit for a long time.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Shakugan posted:

The Tyler edit is very strange. A key problem with this season at this point is the lack of people to root for, since everyone left are seemingly horrible people. I feel like Tyler is someone people could have rooted for, if they didn't have him edited as a complete nonentity. Even if flying under the radar was a part of his strategy, they should have at least showed way more of his confessionals. We got a Tyler confessional this episode for the first time in what seems forever. It's especially strange since now everyone is all "Tyler is such a threat! He's going to win" etc etc. I have a hard time mustering any enthusiasm for supporting him because he's just not been a character in the games edit for a long time.

It's very clear you are supposed to root for Mike.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Braggo posted:

The only problem I have with Tyler's vote is that he should have voted Sierra. He knows Dan has two votes and is significantly less likely to receive jury votes than Sierra is. If I'm Tyler I'm pumping Dan's ego that we're going to the final three because he'll eat it up and use his extra vote how you want him to. Hell, if he takes him to the final three he'll be a fantastic goat.

I was thinking about it and came to the same conclusion. Dan was really drinking the Kool Aid and could be easily turned against Sierra, especially relevant with the double vote. I don't know if that can work the same with Sierra.

Tyler reminds me of Sophie from South Pacific: not a loud personality, not necessarily a leader, but seems to be quietly playing a good game. This makes for weird edits. We'll see if he winds up in crisis mode next week.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ColdBlooded posted:

This.

It sucks because Mike is bad at survivor, but he's got this in the bag inspite of himself. I'd rather see Tyler win, he seems like a pretty smart guy and a solid player.

Edit: Sierra randomly being good at barrel rolls was pretty hilarious.

What I find funny is that she hasn't been better at challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBZGDNl4tag

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Binary Logic posted:

What I find funny is that she hasn't been better at challenges.

The horse is doing all the work here

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Looking back at this week's episode, I think that if Mike does go home somewhere down the line, Sierra has a better shot of winning than most people think, simply because she's been winning over the jury. She's been on good terms with Mike, Shirin, Jenn and Hali. Dan would likely vote for her especially now that he's been backstabbed by Tyler and Will. Rodney might vote her just because Collar. Joe would vote her simply by extension of her being the best of the worst remaining. That would be 4-7 votes fairly easily.

The worst part is that Will seems to be given a straight ticket to the finals at this point. Which is bad because even if he doesn't win, you still get a cash prize for sitting at the FTC, and there's no reason you should reward someone like Will for that.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

mancalamania posted:

What am I missing here?

Rodney told Sierra in this episode that the plan is to get rid of Tyler after getting rid of Mike, we know Mike can't leave this week so they might be forced to move that timetable forward by one

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looking back at this week's episode, I think that if Mike does go home somewhere down the line, Sierra has a better shot of winning than most people think, simply because she's been winning over the jury. She's been on good terms with Mike, Shirin, Jenn and Hali. Dan would likely vote for her especially now that he's been backstabbed by Tyler and Will. Rodney might vote her just because Collar. Joe would vote her simply by extension of her being the best of the worst remaining. That would be 4-7 votes fairly easily.

The worst part is that Will seems to be given a straight ticket to the finals at this point. Which is bad because even if he doesn't win, you still get a cash prize for sitting at the FTC, and there's no reason you should reward someone like Will for that.

I hope someone pulls a Vytas/Reed and gives a random vote to whoever is in the F3 besides the winner and Will just out of spite to deny Will as much money as possible. (Like if its Tyler, Sierra and Will or something like that, someone gives Sierra a random vote so that Tyler wins 7-1 instead of 8-0 just so Will gets third place prize money instead of being tied for second)

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 30, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

Shirin was very unhappy with Sierra in her Ponderosa video.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Dan is truly in a league of his own. Easily one of the dumbest, most asinine and classless players to ever be on the show. Congrats, buddy.

Agreed that the editing with Tyler is weird. He just doesn't really seem to fall easily into one of the pre-existing Survivor archetypes. Not likable or entertaining enough to be portrayed as the cheer-able protagonist, but not dislikable or mean-spirited enough to be edited as a true villain. Definitely a quandary for the editors. In a sense, he really is the prototypical white collar survivor, acting just like a team leader dealing mathematically with a work project. Like when Rodney announced that he wanted to take out Mike, and Tyler said something to the effect of "okay, that's an option...let's pause that and come back to it later". He's playing a solid game no doubt, but its also just kinda boring gamebot stuff.

He's also had some good things just fall into his lap, like Rodney basically handing him the keys to the game when he decides he wants to flip on the blue collars, and spineless players like Dan and Sierra hopping onto his bandwagon. If he wins, it might be due more to process of elimination than true Survivor dominance. You know Dan, Sierra and Will aren't winning. Rodney has a slightly larger shot, but his abrasiveness and ego will probably be deal-breakers. Carolyn (aside from Mike) is his biggest threat, but her social management has been incredibly poor and will cost her jury votes (Jenn, Shirin, maybe the other no collars).

ColdBlooded posted:

It sucks because Mike is bad at survivor, but he's got this in the bag inspite of himself.

What? Aside from botching the move at the auction and, on a lesser level (it seems like he had already exhausted his other options), calling out Rod's alliance publicly, he has shown a lot of insight and played a well-rounded game. To your second point, he pretty much has to go on a Fabio-esque string of immunity wins to have a shot. It still seems like the odds aren't in his favor.

So, I guess I'm having trouble seeing how either of those things are true, especially in conjunction with each other.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Vernacular posted:

What? Aside from botching the move at the auction and, on a lesser level (it seems like he had already exhausted his other options), calling out Rod's alliance publicly, he has shown a lot of insight and played a well-rounded game. To your second point, he pretty much has to go on a Fabio-esque string of immunity wins to have a shot. It still seems like the odds aren't in his favor.

So, I guess I'm having trouble seeing how either of those things are true, especially in conjunction with each other.

I think it's combining his idol, along with his success in immunity challenges (the only remaining legit immunity threats seem to be Tyler and Carolyn, and they've both bombed in a few of them) along with the ridiculously positive over the top edit that he's getting. Now that Shirrin is out, it doesn't make sense to have anybody else win. He also likely has 4 jury votes sewn up already.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

ColdBlooded posted:

the only remaining legit immunity threats seem to be Tyler and Carolyn

Rodney bro

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ColdBlooded posted:

It sucks because Mike is bad at survivor, but he's got this in the bag inspite of himself.

I don't get where this comes from. He hasn't played flawlessly, but holy poo poo there are some harsh critics here.

He does a good job appealing to peoples personality/sensibilities
He is a challenge monster
He is willing to make moves
He has a good read on the game
He found an idol and did a fantastic job of handling it afterwards by publicly putting the heat on Joe
His idol play this week was great
He is willing to apologise when he fucks up
Whilst the execution was poor and he didn't pull the trigger, his Auction play was good.
He successfully orchestrated a thrown challenge to save an ally in the other tribe.

None of these make him a bad player.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Mike kinda owns and I'm no longer upset at all that I'm being manipulated by the editors making me like him.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Poque posted:

Mike kinda owns and I'm no longer upset at all that I'm being manipulated by the editors making me like him.

Yeah Mike is cool. And I'm no longer ashamed to admit that he got island hot.

Never thought I'd say a guy with a giant PSALM whatever tattoo on his back is hot but here we are.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DaisyDanger posted:

Yeah Mike is cool. And I'm no longer ashamed to admit that he got island hot.

Never thought I'd say a guy with a giant PSALM whatever tattoo on his back is hot but here we are.

yeah I weirdly agree. drat you, "island hot"!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Mike isn't a Kim Spradlin gamebot, therefore he is "bad at Survivor."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Mike is pretty good but he gets poo poo because he has the most obvious hero edit ever. Like ever since the merge 90% of the show has been focused on Mike.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

TheChad posted:

Rodney bro

I love that Rodney is so short.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

elgarbo posted:

Mike isn't a Kim Spradlin gamebot, therefore he is "bad at Survivor."

I don't really get this re: Kim.

Mike has actually played a very fun game too. It's no wonder his edit has been a winners edit. Even if he's voted out at 6, he's done some stuff that has been great to watch.

He helped to target Joe, who was a major challenge threat. Mike has now taken his place as a major challenge threat.

He worked very hard in camp in the first days, even when that created friction.

As mentioned above, he orchestrated and successfully threw a challenge. How often does a thrown challenge actually work out? The biggest one I remember (besides the oral vote out of Brandon at a challenge and the south Pacific poo poo show) is the redemption island vote out of Russell. That tribe went on to get horribly pagonged.

Mike has been an interesting person on the island. He ate a scorpion. He did challenges with sticks in his mouth. He correctly identified that a sub alliance was targeting him. He almost won the double vote advantage. He got jo voted off when that looked to be a problem. And he stood up for shirin when she was being attacked.

He's fun to watch. And importantly, he seems to be good friends with jenn, hali, Joe, and shirin. So he's probably okay in real life. I'm just hoping they didn't all become best buds during their 8 days at ponderosa.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

If you want island hot, you'll get a weekly reminder who's king at tribal. That's right, it's Joe Cool

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Did I read somewhere here that the fan vote for next season is today?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Mike has been really fun as of late but the edit is doing a lot to smooth over the rough edges of his gameplay.

Like, he went from being the "leader" of a seven person alliance to hiding in a cave with the two biggest outcasts in the game almost overnight because of how he played the Rodney situation after the auction. If they weren't actively trying to show him in a positive light, the editors could have spun that way more negatively than they did.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mike's shown a lot of great alliance managing throughout the season, but if the editing is at all truthful than him calling out the alliance basically shellacked him. Hard.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

Mike's shown a lot of great alliance managing throughout the season, but if the editing is at all truthful than him calling out the alliance basically shellacked him. Hard.

He lacked the killer instinct Tony had. By flipping on his own alliance time after time and keeping Spencer around no one made Tony out to be the biggest enemy. Mike on the other hand is the biggest threat to win the game and is not playing with a group of braindead zombies (see Redemption Island) and therefore they are targeting him. Dan/Sierra probably only needed a rationalization that he flipped on them first to get on board.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

If you want island hot, you'll get a weekly reminder who's king at tribal. That's right, it's Joe Cool
Joe is swimming in Ponderosa Poonani right now.
Even with Shirin there the dude is struggling to come up for air.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Narcissus1916 posted:

Funny how him catching people plotting to boot him blew up on him but that's what happens when you spoil letter from home fun time.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

He ate a scorpion. He did challenges with sticks in his mouth.
:911:

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 1, 2015

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Joe isn't island hot. Joe is always hot.

Edit: Sierra is a barrel racer so I'm guessing she's spent hella time around barrels. Also does anyone else think her eyebrows are tattooed on?

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 1, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mike isn't necessarily getting a winners edit. It's much more likely he's getting an edit to build him up to be a returning player in the future!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Mike isn't necessarily getting a winners edit. It's much more likely he's getting an edit to build him up to be a returning player in the future!

Actually this wouldn't surprise me at all. But I don't want anyone but Mike to win at this point, so I hope it's not true.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I would accept a Rodney win. In his bio he said he was going to be the best ever player from Boston, which was hilarious, and i would crack up if it became true (or at least debatable).

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

DaisyDanger posted:

. Also does anyone else think her eyebrows are tattooed on?

Yes, I think her real ones are growing back so it looks weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

I would accept a Rodney win. In his bio he said he was going to be the best ever player from Boston, which was hilarious, and i would crack up if it became true (or at least debatable).

Clearly they need to settle this and have a Boston Rod vs Boston Rob season.

• Locked thread