Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

semper wifi posted:

While I think knife restrictions are all stupid and a waste of time, it's illegal to carry a switchblade almost everywhere

e: maybe not "almost everywhere" but more often than not. it's illegal in maryland.

How does doing something illegal justify an execution without trial? Putz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

quote:

"I was watching Erin's show last night, and I was livid," she told him. "I have to say, you’re a leader. And so many people have said, don’t say it in rap, don’t say it so loosely, don’t assume you can say it because you’re one color and another color can’t."

City Councilman Carl "Countin' Dollas" Stokes, called out on his hip-hop career, explains that "thug" has poor flow.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
The Councilman should take it up with Obama, who also called the rioters thugs. Guess the president is racist too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

White people need to take back the n-word since clearly black people can't be responsible with it.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

tsa posted:

The Councilman should take it up with Obama, who also called the rioters thugs. Guess the president is racist too.

Chris Rock said "You know what I hate? Niggers." Therefore, anyone who says "You know what I hate? Niggers," can't be a racist.

This is like logic 101: Context matters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Well, he did do something criminal, but it sounds like everything criminal he did was only discovered after the police started to arrest him for gently caress knows what reason. Fleeing isn't illegal, but after the cops decided to arrest him anyway, resisting is, even if the arrest is bogus. And then of course they found that he possessed a knife he shouldn't have.

Hindsight 20/20, and who knows what bullshit the cops would have or could have made up, but in those situations the more "correct" course of action is to comply with the arrest and then have a lawyer throw it out, but hahahaha, I'm saying this from the comfort of my computer, with a dad who is a public defender, and 8 years since college of gainful employment to save for emergencies like lawyers, so, I'm not about to say that's what I would have done if I were him.

It was a Catch-22 the whole time. Freddie Grey had a large number of arrests on his record, many of which never ended in charges being applied, and less than half of the charges he faced ever saw a conviction. With how often he had been arrested on little to no reason, it's pretty drat likely that he would have panicked just upon seeing the police. As it turns out, he was absolutely right to fear them because complying perfectly and letting himself get arrested could easily result in him literally being killed from blunt force trauma. He had the choice to either run and get caught and beaten to death or comply and maybe have a lower chance of getting beaten to death. But unless he was a really fast runner, he had basically no option that didn't have a possibility in not ending with his spine severed and larynx crushed.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

semper wifi posted:

What about obviously fleeing from the police, though?

It's not "fleeing from the police" to run away when you see some cops patrolling around, that's absurd and would not hold up in court at all. It would be fleeing if they were trying to arrest you and you ran away.

semper wifi posted:

Lil Freddie, poor baby was only 25. Just a little kid, just making those little kiddie mistakes like carrying a switchblade around and selling drugs. He could've been an astronaut or a secret agent when he grew up! And big Mike, little guy was just learning to commit strong arm robberies and assault 5 foot nothing convenience store clerks when those mean ol police cut him down for no reason. Hands up!

So you think arresting people for having switchblades and low level drug crimes is a good use of police resources? Do you think the drug war is a good policy?

I've broken various drug laws before and am technically breaking weapons laws too simply by owning guns while being a drug user, many of my middle class white friends have as well. What is the difference between us and him that makes him a monster, the fact that he's poor and black and therefor wasn't able to avoid being caught?

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 30, 2015

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

So you think arresting people for having switchblades and low level drug crimes is a good use of police resources? Do you think the drug war is a good policy?

By federal standards he didn't have a switchblade. Even by Baltimore standards, I guess, since the police report called it a "spring assisted, one hand opening knife." The statute is basically bullshit and vaguely worded with the intent of making it easier to stop and arrest people for no good reason. Second page of that article compares the rates at which white people get arrested when they have such knifes (35%) versus black and hispanic people (56%).

So yeah, even that "having a switchblade" stuff is bullshit.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 30, 2015

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
The baltimore police basically created the conditions for the riots:

"Eyewitnesses: The Baltimore Riots Didn't Start the Way You Think posted:

Shortly before noon, the department issued a statement saying it had "received credible information that members of various gangs…have entered into a partnership to 'take-out' law enforcement officers."

When school let out that afternoon, police were in the area equipped with full riot gear. According to eyewitnesses in the Mondawmin neighborhood, the police were stopping busses and forcing riders, including many students who were trying to get home, to disembark. Cops shut down the local subway stop. They also blockaded roads near the Mondawmin Mall and Frederick Douglass High School, which is across the street from the mall, and essentially corralled young people in the area. That is, they did not allow the after-school crowd to disperse.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Asian businesses targeted in Baltimore

I heard this on NPR this morning, sorry no transcript. Looters are targeting asian-owned businesses and leaving black-owned businesses alone. The worst part is a 24 year old saying it was justified to target Asian businesses because one wouldn't lend him a shirt for a week until he got paid. The second worst part is an exchange between a customer and a convenience store worker.

Customer: Got any cigars?
Worker: (strained) I told you before, they took everything.
Customer: See? That's why they took everything!
Worker: (Starts to cry}

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Untagged posted:

Starting salary of a BPD Officer is $43K. That is one detective, out of 3100 sworn officers. That detective pretty much worked 6+ days a week and a lot of OT. It's not a good bellwether of the entire department. The pay is why BPD routinely looses their officers to other area departments on a pretty consistent basis.
That's for someone at the academy.
Pre-overtime pay for a standard line police officer is 61 to 67k per year. That alone is double the average salary in baltimore and almost 20k more thanvthe median household income. Even without ot, that is pretty darn good for a job that doesn't require a B.A. I bet every cop in Baltimore makes more than a teacher with the same years of experence.

Overtime, which virtually everyone gets, bumps that up even more. Note that OT can be manipulated and doesn't require actually working over 40hrs. Many contracts pay OT for any hour over 8 per day, regardless of the amount worked. When I was a prosecutor, our police union contract required that the city pay 4 hours OT minimum for any court time. If the case settled and the cop was only there for 15 minutes? 4 hours OT. When I settled a case quick, the cops loving loved me.

There are some smaller departments where police are underpaid, but there are just as many where the police get paid very well. In California, the police officer (and bailiffs) tend to be the best paid people in the courtroom. In the county where I worked as a PD, we had very well paid cops, a low col for CA, and a huge number of brutality issues. So the meme of "well, the cops are so underpaid that we just can't hire the best" is bullshit. Even when we pay them six figures, abuse still occurs.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
What word is next after thug on the euphemism treadmill?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Miltank posted:

Ungratefuls

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Miltank posted:

That's as far as it will go. Everybody just posts in Ebonics and posts pictures that make blacks look like animals if they wish to go further but not be technically racist.

That is never racist nor disturbing in any way. Just common American decency.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
For context: when the ferguson pd got ahold of some advantageous info on mike brown, they baited the press with a conference releasing ofc wilsons name....and then handed out a surprise book report complete with color photos showing a convenience store robbery he mightve been involved in...that they confirmed Wilson didn't even know about.

Keep that in mind when Baltimore PD is leaking advantageous info via an anonymous inmate.

If they were serious at all about the "he mangled himself!" there would be deputies walking through the streets like town criers announcing the second coming of jesus. The idea that any person, much less a news source, took that as true on its face is really lame.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 30, 2015

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apart from, well, "being black in Baltimore", which is apparently an arrestable offense.

The riots are about it being, seemingly, a capital offense.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Nonsense posted:

That's as far as it will go. Everybody just posts in Ebonics and posts pictures that make blacks look like animals if they wish to go further but not be technically racist.

That is never racist nor disturbing in any way. Just common American decency.

Surely "hoodlum" hasn't gone out of style among the out of touch?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Punk, even!

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Woozy posted:

Surely "hoodlum" hasn't gone out of style among the out of touch?

Nope, seen a poo poo ton of that word being used. By young folk, no less.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Woozy posted:

Punk, even!

Punk, like pirate, has ended up with too much popular press and self-identification among the whites to be an effective language weapon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm sure this has been talked about already, but in this latest version of the events (him breaking his own neck inside the police van), is there any police-ok reason why they arrested him in the first place, or is it still "he ran so we knew he was bad"?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm sure this has been talked about already, but in this latest version of the events (him breaking his own neck inside the police van), is there any police-ok reason why they arrested him in the first place, or is it still "he ran so we knew he was bad"?

Give them a few more days, they'll come up with something.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Justice Department will get involved, and find nothing wrong hopefully because I'd hate for any policy to have been skirted in this administrative crisis!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Still waiting for the autopsy to be finialized, so to base what happened around that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
WBAL is reporting they already had previous statements from a police commish Anthony Batts who said the 2nd passenger said freddie gray was "mostly quiet" and that there was no erratic driving.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
^^^^ What he said

happyhippy posted:

Still waiting for the autopsy to be finialized, so to base what happened around that.

A local Baltimore investigative reporter says that the "he broke his own back" theory contradicts earlier reporting and statements by police.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/04/30/baltimore-reporter-disputes-details-of-leaked-p/203482

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 30, 2015

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Hey do you remember that time in Ferguson when whether or not Wilson knew anything about the robbery seemed to change with the time of day? Well I've been investigating, and it turns out cops are actually time walkers so these things are just in constant flux and that's to be expected. Maybe tomorrow they'll go back in time to pick up that second prisoner much sooner so he can be witness to the full extent of Freddie Gray's self destructive suicide lust.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://abcnews.go.com/US/freddie-gray-timeline-revealed-police-hand-investigation/story?id=30700008

quote:

Baltimore police announced today that newly obtained security camera footage showed the police van transporting Freddie Gray made a previously unknown stop on the day he was arrested.

Detectives say the police van picked up Gray after he ran from police. They then made one stop previously known to officers, but made another stop that police said today they did not learn about until investigating the case further.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Miltank posted:

savages

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Baltimore police handed over their report to the prosecutor a day early.

At the moment the information has yet to be publicly revealed, but it'll likely be "We dunno what happened, he just slammed himself against the walls because he's a crazy friend of the family thug until his spine snapped in half. Also he had a criminal record, therefore he is no loss to the world so stop investigating please." Followed by shooting reporters with rubber bullets when they ask too many questions and/or throwing journalists' heads against the concrete for taking pictures of them.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
This may already have been obvious to everyone but someone on twitter pointed out that the police bicycle is on the back of Freddie Gray's legs here.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

semper wifi posted:

let... victims of police violence completely off the hook

Do you read what you write

Anyway, apparently that prisoner who reportedly said that Gray broke his own neck was the last prisoner to be loaded onto the van, AFTER the stop where Gray was found lying on the floor of the van. And the same prisoner was previously reported as saying the ride was quiet and uneventful. Just to sum up, an unnamed source that's totally within the police says that a prisoner, who cannot be reached for confirmation, who was loaded into the van well after Freddie had been found battered on the floor, and who could not see Freddie, totally said that a man who could not sit or stand had hurled himself against the walls with such force that he broke his own neck and shattered his own larynx.

That new cam footage of an previously unknown stop sounds like a more promising lead. Since it was from a private security cam, I wonder if it's worth hoping that it might find its way to the press when the state's attorney declines to indict.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yeah, that does not look good for the cops. They'd better have a drat good explanation for that unreported stop.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm betting it was a frantic stop at a hobby lobby asking if they had any brown colored super glue that works on skin and bone

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Anyway, apparently that prisoner who reportedly said that Gray broke his own neck was the last prisoner to be loaded onto the van, AFTER the stop where Gray was found lying on the floor of the van. And the same prisoner was previously reported as saying the ride was quiet and uneventful. Just to sum up, an unnamed source that's totally within the police says that a prisoner, who cannot be reached for confirmation, who was loaded into the van well after Freddie had been found battered on the floor, and who could not see Freddie, totally said that a man who could not sit or stand had hurled himself against the walls with such force that he broke his own neck and shattered his own larynx.

Not only is that prisoner anonymous, he's not even quoted directly in his own words, it's the police interrogator's version of what he said.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Zwabu posted:

Not only is that prisoner anonymous, he's not even quoted directly in his own words, it's the police interrogator's version of what he said.

Very good point, I'd been pondering that as well. It'd be pretty easy to ask some leading questions and get him to acknowledge it was possible the sounds he heard could have been him banging around then completely twist it into that.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Samurai Sanders posted:

Something about a pocket knife blah blah, had it coming for running, broke his own spine stuff.

chitoryu12 posted:

Baltimore police handed over their report to the prosecutor a day early.

At the moment the information has yet to be publicly revealed, but it'll likely be "We dunno what happened, he just slammed himself against the walls because he's a crazy friend of the family thug until his spine snapped in half. Also he had a criminal record, therefore he is no loss to the world so stop investigating please." Followed by shooting reporters with rubber bullets when they ask too many questions and/or throwing journalists' heads against the concrete for taking pictures of them.

I still love the "breaking his own back theory" is actually being taken seriously. I mean come the gently caress on. How god drat desperate are people to justify police doing this poo poo without consequences?

America might as well start training their cops to be Judges so that they can dispense life or death justice on the streets and be done with it.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 30, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Agrajag posted:

Something about a pocket knife blah blah, had it coming for running, broke his own spine stuff.

I still love the "breaking his own back theory" is actually being taken seriously. I mean come the gently caress on. How god drat desperate are people to justify police doing this poo poo without consequences?

I posted this in another thread, but this isn't the first time BPD has broken someone's neck in the back of a police van and claimed he did it himself:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-gray-rough-rides-20150423-story.html#page=1

quote:

The most sensational case in Baltimore involved Johnson, a 43-year-old plumber who was arrested for public urination. He was handcuffed and placed in a transport van in good health. He emerged a quadriplegic.

Before he died, he complained to his doctor that he was not buckled into his seat when the police van "made a sharp turn," sending him "face first" into the interior of the van, court records state. He was "violently thrown around the back of the vehicle as [police officers] drove in an aggressive fashion, taking turns so as to injure [Johnson] who was helplessly cuffed," the lawsuit stated.

Johnson, who suffered a fractured neck, died two weeks later of pneumonia caused by his paralysis. His family sued, and a jury agreed that three officers were negligent in the way they treated Johnson. The initial $7.4 million award, however, was eventually reduced to $219,000 by Maryland's Court of Special Appeals because state law caps such payouts.

In 1997, Alston became paralyzed from the neck down in a van after being arrested. Alston said he told the officers he couldn't breathe, but they refused to give him an inhaler for asthma.

Officers said the 32-year-old repeatedly rammed his head into the side of the van, freed himself from a seat belt and thrashed some more.

Alston sued, and at the trial, Dr. Adrian Barbul, a Sinai Hospital trauma surgeon, testified that Alston had no external head injuries when he was taken to the emergency room.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone that believes the self spine breaking story is either a massive idiot, incredibly racist, or both. There is possibly like a 0.0001% chance he did break his own back but if that's the story you believe over the much more likely one that he was murdered you are one of those two things.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

Anyone that believes the self spine breaking story is either a massive idiot, incredibly racist, or both. There is possibly like a 0.0001% chance he did break his own back but if that's the story you believe over the much more likely one that he was murdered you are one of those two things.

There is no way a handcuffed shackled man could generate enough force to break a vertebra like that, not without an assist from the drivers.

• Locked thread