Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Wade Wilson posted:

The manufacturer's page gives a print range of 15mm-30mm for T-Glase, so I started off slow until I've got a few prints done. This isn't PLA or ABS, man.

Oh... Woops! You can print t-glase faster but you lose a lot of the optical clarity properties.

kitten smoothie posted:

What is special about PET+ in general? I saw Micro Center started carrying it.

It has more of the structural properties people like from abs without all the annoying warping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

MickRaider posted:

It has more of the structural properties people like from abs without all the annoying warping

Without the ABS-esque warping does this also mean that the shrinkage characteristics will be closer to what you get from PLA?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

kitten smoothie posted:

Without the ABS-esque warping does this also mean that the shrinkage characteristics will be closer to what you get from PLA?

Supposed to print similar to PLA (at ABS temperatures), but be a water-phobic material that won't absorb moisture.

MadeSolid's version of the material claims to have Zero warping, No fumes, PLA-like adhesion to print surfaces. MatterHackers has a write-up about where they sell it here.

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament/black-pet-175mm

There are other colors, that's just the first page I found.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Okay, so this Tower of Pi thing just does not want to print in T-Glase. It'll get the base down, but then the filament keeps separating inside the extruder and the printer just runs around in the air for a while until I notice that it's not printing and cancel the print.

I've got some Pi coasters, but the full tower just isn't happening.

I've printed three goofy little vase prints with this material no problem, but they're relatively quick prints that only take about an hour (small objects).

Anybody here have any ideas? I'm thinking when my PET+ comes in I'll just switch materials and make it out of that, but it would've been neat to have a transparent one.

EDIT: Okay, I'm officially a fan of MadeSolid materials, they put the recommended temps and speeds right on the label on the spool.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 28, 2015

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Has anyone here ever worked with nylon? I'm looking for some nylon filament for printing bushings. Is there a particularly good brand of filament for that?

I saw Taulman 3D's "Bridge" nylon, which they claim is easy to work with, but I'm concerned over whether it would have the same low friction of standard nylon.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

Has anyone here ever worked with nylon? I'm looking for some nylon filament for printing bushings. Is there a particularly good brand of filament for that?

I saw Taulman 3D's "Bridge" nylon, which they claim is easy to work with, but I'm concerned over whether it would have the same low friction of standard nylon.

I've printed a lot of nylon, and I hate it. poo poo loves to warp, even bridge. Bridge is cheap, and nylon-y, but not particularly awesome. It's focus is bringing the cost down and little more.

I've heard good things about the new 910 that just came out...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cockmaster posted:

What are you actually trying to do? I'd think for bushings something like PET+ would be better for actual usage (low warp, moisture-phobic, stronger, etc.)

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

What are you actually trying to do? I'd think for bushings something like PET+ would be better for actual usage (low warp, moisture-phobic, stronger, etc.)

Except PET is super sticky vs. Nylon...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

insta posted:

Except PET is super sticky vs. Nylon...

There is always good old ABS, or the ABS variants, with a post-print sanding/smoothing/wipe-down with something to smooth it up.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

There is always good old ABS, or the ABS variants, with a post-print sanding/smoothing/wipe-down with something to smooth it up.

Except ABS is also sticky in any kind of bushing scenario ... it wears very quickly against sliding or rotating parts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Someone figure out how to print UHMW, tia.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's expensive (£30/250g) but igus sells 2 bearing filaments, one hard, one flexible.

I've only seen it on their website though, I don't have a printer.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Cakefool posted:

It's expensive (£30/250g) but igus sells 2 bearing filaments, one hard, one flexible.

I've only seen it on their website though, I don't have a printer.

eh to be fair if you need more than 250g of bearing surface you probably don't want to be 3d printing it anymore.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's a good point I hadn't really thought of. At that price maybe a good candidate for a dual head job, print the bare minimum bearing sleeve in $texas and the rest in ABS.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
Along the same lines, are you able to find a cheap nylon insert that you can press/insert/diligently mash into an ABS piece that will work for your application?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Cakefool posted:

That's a good point I hadn't really thought of. At that price maybe a good candidate for a dual head job, print the bare minimum bearing sleeve in $texas and the rest in ABS.

Yeah, I have a Makergear M2 with the new dual V4 extruder (which is supposed to work with nylon and polycarbonate).

torpedan posted:

Along the same lines, are you able to find a cheap nylon insert that you can press/insert/diligently mash into an ABS piece that will work for your application?

The idea here is to be able to have any size bushing I need without having to track it down and wait for it to be shipped.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just buy a home next door to McMaster-Carr HQ. Heaven knows that's what *I* would do.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bad Munki posted:

Just buy a home next door to McMaster-Carr HQ. Heaven knows that's what *I* would do.

McMaster-Carr is the best thing ever for this kind of stuff, really.

Especially with the 3d part files that you can save and convert to STL files for the stuff you don't want to buy outright.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Hey guys. I'm looking to get started prototyping parts for a project I'm working on but don't have a ton of money to get started. What's a good printer to look into? MakerBot is like $1400 which seems crazy to me.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

BiohazrD posted:

Hey guys. I'm looking to get started prototyping parts for a project I'm working on but don't have a ton of money to get started. What's a good printer to look into? MakerBot is like $1400 which seems crazy to me.

A print service like 3dhubs / makexyz. Shop around, find someone with good ratings and reviews, pay their prices without complaining, never deal with the loving TWO PRINTS THAT FAILED OVERNIGHT BECAUSE I HATE YOU YOU STUPID PIECE OF poo poo PRINTERS.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I just did a 58 hour print. Surprisingly, turning off Makerbots automatic jam detection does wonders.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BiohazrD posted:

Also, look into a local makerspace, there are these Co-op mad science/lab/woodshop places you can go to that have 10k+ in gear you can use when you need to for a low low monthly fee. Mine has all kinds of crap, is like $60/month, and is really handy when I need to CNC router a hull size sheet of plywood.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My local hackerspace is twice that :saddowns:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

gently caress, my local place just bumped up to $250/month full time.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Fayez Butts posted:

That's the 'show up and take your poo poo when you're done' student version. Full price with storage and project space is like 200ish a month.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I live in the middle of loving nowhere Virginia, so unfortunately that seems like a long shot.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That's the 'show up and take your poo poo when you're done' student version. Full price with storage and project space is like 200ish a month.

I don't get storage or a workspace. Everything is shared, but I can kind of dump stuff at the back of the wood shop for a day or two if I need.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
gently caress, even the TechShop near me is only $125/month. Sound cheap compared to some of your maker spaces. And TechShop has welders and mills and a loving Flow waterjet cutter.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Heavily considering a Lulzbot Taz 5, anybody ever try one out in person? I've seen countless videos on it so far and it seems to be a great printer with a decent build volume. I wish there were more 3D printers around the same price that had easier times printing 1:1 scale wearable stuff (armor/helmets/etc)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Look at James Bruton on Youtube. good poo poo with the lulzbots

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Lulzbots are my dream printers (once I get my UM2)

But drat they command a high price

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop

Fayez Butts posted:

Holy balls, we're £10 a month ($17)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

IndianaZoidberg posted:

gently caress, even the TechShop near me is only $125/month. Sound cheap compared to some of your maker spaces. And TechShop has welders and mills and a loving Flow waterjet cutter.

I was so totally blown away by the TechShop in SF when I stopped in there for a party not long ago. TechShop has just acquired a lot here in St Louis and plans to build a facility opening summer 2016, and I'm like a 5 year old kid looking forward to next Christmas.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

MickRaider posted:

Lulzbots are my dream printers (once I get my UM2)

But drat they command a high price

Skip UM2 go straight to Lulzbot

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Sure, though right now I have access to 4 printers. Really don't need anymore.

Nor do I anticipate having the money to buy either.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Apparently the makers of the Robo 3D R1 showed off some printer capable of printing a cubic meter on it's print capacity.

But they want $10,000 for it. :gonk:

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

That's pretty on par with other huge printers. Not sure why anyone would need that much volume though

insta
Jan 28, 2009

MickRaider posted:

That's pretty on par with other huge printers. Not sure why anyone would need that much volume though

Because you can't find a better way to use 70 pounds of filament in one go? :bang:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

insta posted:

Because you can't find a better way to use 700 kilograms of filament in one go? :bang:

There, I made you slightly more accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm interested in 3D printing, but I don't think I can justify the expense. If I wanted to get someone to make some stuff for me, what can I expect to pay?