Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

angel opportunity posted:

The whole new trilogy he's doing - I personally didn't care for it and never went past book one. It's better than the "don't bother reading" stuff, but much weaker than his good books.

The second book contains a load of Reynolds signatures, so you might enjoy it more; (not-really-spoilers): mysterious ancient alien artifacts, approaching-lightspeed warfare in generation ships, malevolent(?) AI ghost in the machine, clones exploring and reporting back....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Maybe i'll try it sometime...

The alien artifacts really annoyed me tbh, because it's become such a cliche to me in sci-fi where some plot-device alien artifact is the key that lets space travel happen. I had the same issue in Rev Space when it was revealed the idea for the conjoiner drive came from the future. I like how Reynolds usually stays within real physics and doesn't have warpgates etc., but when you have to have some deus ex machina answer for humans being able to move through space, it gets kind of old :(

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Maybe i'll try it sometime...

The alien artifacts really annoyed me tbh, because it's become such a cliche to me in sci-fi where some plot-device alien artifact is the key that lets space travel happen. I had the same issue in Rev Space when it was revealed the idea for the conjoiner drive came from the future. I like how Reynolds usually stays within real physics and doesn't have warpgates etc., but when you have to have some deus ex machina answer for humans being able to move through space, it gets kind of old :(

You might dig this; to save time, the generation ships were launched before developing a method to slow down, figuring they'd find a way en-route. So there's this race to come up with the technology before they all overshoot the target and go flying on into inter-stellar space forever.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
That's actually a fun plot point. Well, I like Reynolds most of the time...maybe I'll give that trilogy a shot.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Ornamented Death posted:

It won't be out until 2016, but Jeff and Ann VanderMeer are putting together a Big Book of Sci-Fi and are putting a huge focus on stories from outside of English-speaking countries. Some things he's said in the last few months:

Will read.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
Although it's not really needed anymore, I'll just add my love for Alastair Reynolds' books. There's no one else that I've read that evokes such a feeling of awe and wonder. If anyone can point me towards someone similar, however, I'm always looking for more!

House of Suns is definitely the place to start, though I actually really enjoyed Chasm City. As far as The Prefect goes, I loved the setting, and quite liked they story/characters, but it's not one of my favourite. I'd love to see more of the Pre-Melding Plague Yellowstone.

Hedrigall posted:

Some of the other stuff is good too. Terminal World is steampunk, not an amazing book, but it's notable for a certain secret about the world it's set in, that's never spelled out in the book, but if you figure it out you'll feel incredibly smart.

Sounds like I need to go back and read it again, then again I'm a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to books and movies.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Khaba posted:

Sounds like I need to go back and read it again, then again I'm a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to books and movies.

somebody just spoil it here because that book sucked rear end.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

I have posted this many times, and I'd rather just retype the list than trying to find my original post, but to me the Reynolds "don't bother even reading it" list is:

Century Rain - Really lazy poo poo. Boring world building and physics ideas grafted onto a dull as poo poo alternate history plot.
Terminal World - The worst. Some of the worldbuilding was cool, but that's it, because the plot is awful. Everything about this felt like an excuse to have steampunk airships.
Troika - Some good atmosphere but dull and goes-nowhere plot.

QUESTIONABLE:

Pushing Ice - This story was actually quite successful outside of SF circles--I think--but I felt the whole world just felt completely like cardboard. Reynolds tried to focus on his weaknesses and make a very character-based conflict, but it really showed why this is a weakness of his rather than being successful at improving it. Everything else he's usually good at suffered in the process.

The whole new trilogy he's doing - I personally didn't care for it and never went past book one. It's better than the "don't bother reading" stuff, but much weaker than his good books.

Pushing Ice is my second favorite Reynolds novel behind Chasm City. The only novel I haven't enjoyed is Terminal World.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

andrew smash posted:

Hey you know some people like rear end sucking.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

andrew smash posted:

Terminal World spoilers: They call it Earth the whole way through but they're actually on Mars. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_World#.27Earth.27.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Hedrigall posted:

Terminal World spoilers: They call it Earth the whole way through but they're actually on Mars. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_World#.27Earth.27.

Can you explain the sentence at the end of that section?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

goodness posted:

Can you explain the sentence at the end of that section?

They think they're on Earth so it's natural that they'd assume a planet in the sky is Mars. They've just forgotten that at some point in ancient history Earth got all dried up and humanity recolonised Mars.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's a pointless and forgettable 'twist', just like the rest of the book.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

General Battuta posted:

It's a pointless and forgettable 'twist', just like the rest of the book.

The thing is it's not a twist, it's just a hidden feature that you need to figure out yourself from clues within the book. It doesn't affect the plot at all and it's never made known to the characters. It's just a bonus for smart readers. 90% of people who read the book probably wouldn't even notice, and not care.

For me, it's the most memorable aspect of the book. The steampunk stuff and the robot gorillas(?) were trash.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
What the hey, robot gorillas? Must read!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If you can terraform loving Mars, then you can easily terramaintain loving Earth.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

In principle, yes, (and probably in practice too) but KSR in 2312 actually lays out a fairly convincing narrative where Mars is a terraformed paradise and Earth is still warming and doing poorly. You can do anything you want to Mars - crash comets, set off underground nukes, etc, because nothing and nobody lives there. Earth has to be much more delicately handled, because people live more or less everywhere. And while a small group of people might be able to decide exactly what should happen to Mars over decades or centuries, on Earth it takes much broader political consensus. So broad it might be basically impossible, especially given the necessary time scales.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Which is why I consider KSR to be one of the best writers out there. When's his next book out, damnit!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

thehomemaster posted:

Which is why I consider KSR to be one of the best writers out there. When's his next book out, damnit!

Are his other books less insanely bland than the Mars trilogy?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Neurosis posted:

Are his other books less insanely bland than the Mars trilogy?

Years of Rice and Salt is good, but if you really didn't like the Mars trilogy it's probably not a good read for you.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mimir posted:

Years of Rice and Salt is good, but if you really didn't like the Mars trilogy it's probably not a good read for you.

I'll avoid it. Seriously, 200 pages of 'I'm a fat woman who has no interests but bland poo poo. I just spent a bunch of time doing nothing.' It started with such promise...

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

KSR is certainly an acquired taste. I loved 2312 even though some people who liked the Mars trilogy didn't like it at all. It's not even the pace, there's something about the style - usually that kind of pacing bores me so much I drop the book or struggle to the finish.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Hint: it's because he's a genius.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I just finished reading The Magicians -- are the other two books in the series about the same in terms of quality? Overall I enjoyed it, despite Quentin being cartoonishly unlikeable for most of the book. (I get that that's kind of the point, but drat you still feel like slapping the guy a lot of the time).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Junkenstein posted:

You might dig this; to save time, the generation ships were launched before developing a method to slow down, figuring they'd find a way en-route. So there's this race to come up with the technology before they all overshoot the target and go flying on into inter-stellar space forever.

Well that's certainly a novel solution to the question of "how do you keep the people of the future focused on the same goals as the people initially on the generation ship"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

I just finished reading The Magicians -- are the other two books in the series about the same in terms of quality?

No. (I thought the second one lacked all the positive qualities of the first, and am not going to read the third)

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

colonel_korn posted:

I just finished reading The Magicians -- are the other two books in the series about the same in terms of quality? Overall I enjoyed it, despite Quentin being cartoonishly unlikeable for most of the book. (I get that that's kind of the point, but drat you still feel like slapping the guy a lot of the time).

I liked the second book mainly for Juila's section, where you find out what she was up to during the events of the first book and explore the non-Brakebills magical world, but that was mainly it. That one spent too much time with Fillory, and the setup at the end of it the Gods are going to come back and patch out the cheat codes to the universe get rid of magic and all the parallel universes ended up being resolved in the third offscreen by a secondary character, which I absolutely hated. I could deal with the characters being unlikeable, since I think of The Magicians as a cross between Harry Potter and The Secret History; half the time I was rooting against Quentin just because of all the dumb things he was getting involved in, and I was willing to tolerate him while exploring the setting.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Channing Tatum got cast to star in the movie version of The Forever War.

Not really sure an adaptation of that works, seeing as it is an absolutely anti-war book and it is nearly impossible to make an anti-war movie. But we will see.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

thehomemaster posted:

Hint: it's because he's a genius.

Nope.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

colonel_korn posted:

To contradict the other two opinions provided, I thought the second and especially the third were even better than the first. They still have off-putting characters (though I've never hated Quentin as much as most readers), but I found they did a better job having the characters grow and change, especially by the end of the third.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Antti posted:

KSR is certainly an acquired taste. I loved 2312 even though some people who liked the Mars trilogy didn't like it at all. It's not even the pace, there's something about the style - usually that kind of pacing bores me so much I drop the book or struggle to the finish.

I thought Shaman was quite good, with a much brisker pace and style than Years of Rice and Salt. But then I really liked YR&S...

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CaptCommy posted:

To contradict the other two opinions provided, I thought the second and especially the third were even better than the first. They still have off-putting characters (though I've never hated Quentin as much as most readers), but I found they did a better job having the characters grow and change, especially by the end of the third.

I thought the second was weaker than the first, but I thought the third actually made the second and first books better retrospectively. They're definitely worth reading - the characters aren't necessarily likable, but the world and story are still well done and the characters exhibit believable development.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

CaptCommy posted:

I was about post exactly this, so I'll second it. It's definitely worth reading the second two books if you enjoyed the first, and for my money the third was about as good as the first, and over all it was a very satisfying trilogy. It's worth your time to check out the 2nd and 3rd books.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Just a quick thank you to folks for the K.J. Parker discussion a few pages back, it got me to read Colours in the Steel and I loved it. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the Fencer Trilogy and the others.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neurosis posted:

I'll avoid it. Seriously, 200 pages of 'I'm a fat woman who has no interests but bland poo poo. I just spent a bunch of time doing nothing.' It started with such promise...

I'm not gonna sit here and let you talk poo poo on Nadia Chernyshevski, damnit.

Well maybe I will, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

Channing Tatum got cast to star in the movie version of The Forever War.

Not really sure an adaptation of that works, seeing as it is an absolutely anti-war book and it is nearly impossible to make an anti-war movie. But we will see.

omgomgomgomg my dreams are coming true. And if it has Tatum in it then that means I can drag my gf to see it.

I consider The Forever War one of the best SF books ever written.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
gently caress you all Nadia and Arkady are the best god drat characters in Mars.

John is also charismatic as hell, and Frank's slow mental breakdown bounces off him well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Phobophilia posted:

gently caress you all Nadia and Arkady are the best god drat characters in Mars.

John is also charismatic as hell, and Frank's slow mental breakdown bounces off him well.

I've seen Saxifrage spelled in a lot of ways but that's not one of them :colbert:

Really though Nadia, Arkady and Sax are pretty much equally my top three.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Yeah I love Sax, but I love Maya as well. Those are my top two characters.

The space elevator coming down in Red Mars is probably my most favouritest scene in a book eva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

The series as a whole is about how Quentin finally stops being a horrible person. If you got through the first book you've basically gotten through his most rear end in a top hat-ish period and the other two he's better. The second book deals with the magical world outside of his little college bubble and the third really delves into the history and meaning of Fillory. It also does a pretty good job of wrapping things up and every question raised by the first book eventually gets answered.