Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hells yes this season just went from madness to full retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Irradiation posted:

Are there any reports of damage to the routes higher up on the mountain? The highest people were was camp 2 so it's be interesting if there's some other damage they dont know about yet.

How awesome would it be if the summit fell off and now K2 is the world's tallest mountain.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
lmao at all of the idiots who got triggered by the gbs everest death pool... if you can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen imo.

Topher87
Jun 28, 2008

I Greyhound posted:

I'm only trying to say that Nepal is a Spring town. We need Spring dollars. Now, if the people can't climb here, they'll be glad to climb at the mountains of Tibet, Argentina, Switzerland...

I'm floored at the fact they are actually pressing on with this season.
Well, only one thing to do
:jerky:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

"You yell 'high altitude pulmonary edema' , everyone says, 'Huh, what?' You yell 'massive loving avalanches triggered by unrelenting aftershocks' and you've got a panic on the thirtieth of April."

INT. BRODY TENT – EVEREST BASE CAMP

ELLEN
Martin hates climbing. Hates the Himalaya. On the plane to the Nepal, he never looks out the whole way over. He's got this childhood thing, there's a clinical word for it.

BRODY
Suffocating.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Silent Linguist posted:

A friend of mine and her siblings tried to do the Appalachian Trail a few years ago, but had to quit a week or two in because they were covered in mosquitoes 24/7. Apparently bug spray had no effect. Everest sounds like freaking paradise in comparison.

Oh yeah, the bugs. Most of the portions I hike don't seem to have issues with swarms, it's more like constant random individual assaults, where you'll have things coming at you every 30 seconds to a minute. Then occasionally you'll hear something huge dive bombing at you from who knows where, and you kind of duck down and cover your head because you don't know what's making that sound but you're pretty sure it's coming right at you and you don't want it on you. It's like walking down a sniper's alley. Then you have to worry about brushing up against the wrong blade of grass or leaf tip, a tiny little deer tick will get on you, a couple days later you realize you got lyme disease. You'll also get plenty of those tiny little things that like going in your ears and give you an hour of a bright red burning ear.

I use a strong controlled release DEET formulation. Then I top that with another repellent which has MGK-264 and MGK-326. That combo handles mosquitoes and most types of flies pretty well. Then I also pre-treat my clothes with permethrin to handle the ticks. That little combo makes the trail much more enjoyable.

It's one of the reasons I like hiking the AT in deep winter. No bugs, it's great. I camped out over night once in 5F weather, during a snowfall, using two heavy duty garbage bags as a sleeping bag. I put one inside the other, stuffed leaves between the two for insulation, and froze my rear end off all night long while getting blanketed in snow. It was better than dealing with the bugs.

XK fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 30, 2015

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
There's another video of the moment the quake hit Everest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32540568

Pretty scary.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
Lmao literal Hail Marys. As if the virgin mother is gonna protect your dumb rear end in shiva's domain.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Sherpas sometimes make more than the Prime Minister of Nepal, and they're STILL poor. That is how poor Nepal is. A lot of knicknack sellers claim to be sherpas because it's the only ethnic group that tourists know despite there being 102 (that all sherpas take the last name "sherpa" really helps with recognition). Like if you're in Thamel, you're more likely to buy from a "Sherpa" shop than a "Newari" shop (or, G-d forbid, an "Aryan" shop). So yeah, they're going to try to keep the mountain open.

As for the government, there's rioting in Kathmandu against the government's overwhelmingly lovely response to the earthquake, so we'll see what happens there. The government is pretty lovely in general, and people do not like them, but lack the resources to overthrow them because the government is Maoist and backed by China. But that's a whole 'nother story, let's just say that things are a little shaky and if you have a permit and are at base camp and have the apline experience to do a solo climb, I wouldn't blame you for trying.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

elwood posted:

aaaand we are back:

This is practically encouraging suicide at this point, isn't it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

raditts posted:

This is practically encouraging suicide at this point, isn't it?

It never wasn't.

Well. Not since at least the early 1990s.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, aftershocks aside, is the icefall really less stable now? It's always moving anyway. I suppose if the ice has more cracks in it now, there will be more calving versus "oozing" or whatever you call icefall movement. Video of oozing- http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1519028538001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAASoY90~,_gW1ZHvKG_1U0LqDiRqg6y9siD7-Z_bO&bctid=927952126001

Also, Arnette has a cool video of flying over it
http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2015/04/29/everest-2015-north-closed-south-retreats-a-full-recap/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

quote:

The stories of “climbers stranded” in the Western CWM are simply untrue or a matter of exaggeration. We were the highest team on Everest at Camp 2. Others were below us at Camp 1. All had sufficient food, fuel, water and shelter to survive for days. A few individuals and one team choose to stay in the CWM hoping the Icefall would be fixed. I cannot say what their motivation was other than the helicopter flight was expensive if you didn’t have rescue insurance.
Holy poo poo why would you stay in the CWM?!

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Holy poo poo why would you stay in the CWM?!

Because you can summit the mountain if you just believe in yourself. always reach for your goals and dreams. going down would be giving up and with that attitude you will never climb the mountain.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PS I don't think 'cwm' is an acronym, it's a word. As someone who learned the word cwm as a kid so I could lord my intelligence over other scrublords, I would know :saddowns:

Epitope posted:

So, aftershocks aside, is the icefall really less stable now? It's always moving anyway. I suppose if the ice has more cracks in it now, there will be more calving versus "oozing" or whatever you call icefall movement. Video of oozing- http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1519028538001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAASoY90~,_gW1ZHvKG_1U0LqDiRqg6y9siD7-Z_bO&bctid=927952126001

Also, Arnette has a cool video of flying over it
http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2015/04/29/everest-2015-north-closed-south-retreats-a-full-recap/

Goddamn anyone who thinks traversing that is a good idea, ever :psyduck:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

PS I don't think 'cwm' is an acronym, it's a word.
Yeah, I was just staying consistent with the quote since he uses it a lot in the article.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
It's like christmas in april. By the way, did anyone die in a cave underwater recently?

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

PS I don't think 'cwm' is an acronym, it's a word. As someone who learned the word cwm as a kid so I could lord my intelligence over other scrublords, I would know

CWM wouldn't be an acronym it would be an abbreviation. Although it could be an acronym if you pronounced it "coom" which is how it's pronounced because it's not an abbreviation, it's a word. Or whatever.

I learned the difference between an acronym and an abbreviation as a kid so I could lord my intelligence over other scrublords.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Marley Wants More posted:

CWM wouldn't be an acronym it would be an abbreviation. Although it could be an acronym if you pronounced it "coom" which is how it's pronounced because it's not an abbreviation, it's a word. Or whatever.

I learned the difference between an acronym and an abbreviation as a kid so I could lord my intelligence over other scrublords.

And yet, you're still getting it slightly wrong. Hah!

An abbreviation is a shortening of a word. Examples include etc., Mr., Dr., SCUBA, and CIA. When you take the first letters of a string of words and assemble them in all caps, that's a type of abbreviation known as an initialism. If it's a pronounceable initialism, it's an acronym.

So, if CWM stood for something, like Common Word Mistakes, then it's an abbreviation. If you can pronounce CWM (not by saying "cee double-you emm" but by saying, I don't know, "coom") then it's an acronym. If it's not pronounceable, it's an initialism. In all cases, it's an abbreviation.

So many people call unpronounceable initialism "acronyms" that dictionaries are starting to include that as a valid definition, so the definition is changing. And most people will understand exactly what you mean, if you say "oh I thought CWM was an acronym, but I guess it's just the word 'cwm'" even if you're technically confusing what an acronym is.

NOW WHO IS THE SCRUBLORD

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 30, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So what's autism like?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's like making money writing technical documentation for a living, e.g., it's good.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Leperflesh posted:

NOW WHO IS THE SCRUBLORD

My avatar's cuter

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Do people really cheap out on rescue insurance? Like I know in curtain parts of the summit you get left to die, but you would have to be a special kind of stupid to not take it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fumble posted:

Do people really cheap out on rescue insurance? Like I know in curtain parts of the summit you get left to die, but you would have to be a special kind of stupid to not take it.

I mean, if these people were really willing to seriously consider the mortal risk, they wouldn't be there at all, right?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fumble posted:

lol people will cheap out on literally anything to save a few bucks

You could sell them carabiners made of plastic that didn't work at all for half the cost of regular ones and you'd sell fuckloads.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh, imgur made gif making easy.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
anybody got any idea of the timescale on that video? the snow is moving around which suggests days at least but the movement of the shadow at the end looks like the progression of a day

I'd have assumed it was closer to days/weeks or putting up ladders would be more difficult than I thought

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I don't think this has been posted yet, it's an interview with David Breshears about the whole earthquake thing. Start at 02:23:00.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05s0vsn

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Madcosby posted:

Hells yes this season just went from madness to full retard

I'm sorry people with 18 in the pool. It was looking golden for you for a few days.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
http://himalayanexperience.com/newsletters/earthquake/the-daily-moraine-2015-3-earthquake-updates

quote:

In the meanwhile I hear from Makalu that all the teams there want to finish expedition.

Our Himex team will stay at Everest BC for the next few days and we will then decide if we will continue or not. Talking to Phurba he tells me that the Sherpas are ready to go back to BC and to assess the conditions in a few days time and will then make a collective decision. This morning when I was at the airport I had a meeting with the NMA and the Minister of MoT and he gave us permission to fly loads to C1, but only after the helicopters come free from rescue operations which we of course totally agree with.

Russ

Even Russell Brice's expedition is thinking about going for the summit? :psyduck: Wasn't it just a few years ago he pulled the plug on his entire group because he thought the conditions were too bad in the icefall, and he was the only expedition that did?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

cwm is Welsh you loving idiots

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
that sign isnt bilingual who do i report this to

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Cwm is welsh for valley, it's not that hard to type three letters into google.

money worship
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

cwm is Welsh you loving idiots

Just about everyone knew that already, pen coc

money worship fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 1, 2015

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Happy Hedonist posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet, it's an interview with David Breshears about the whole earthquake thing. Start at 02:23:00.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05s0vsn

Pro listen, its about 15 mins long and definitely worth it if you enjoy this thread

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

XMNN posted:

anybody got any idea of the timescale on that video? the snow is moving around which suggests days at least but the movement of the shadow at the end looks like the progression of a day

I'd have assumed it was closer to days/weeks or putting up ladders would be more difficult than I thought

It's from here, timescale in link

Epitope posted:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Note: Everest shrank an inch due to the earthquake, so it's not even as big of an accomplishment as it was a couple years ago.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/mt-everest-shrank-nepal-quake-lifted-kathmandu-n351271

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That post about the pct + reading about it makes me want to do it. imo that looks way more hardcore than everest at 1/6 the cost (plane tickets etc)

maybe one day ill not be a poor and can fly to america and do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

mikemil828 posted:

Note: Everest shrank an inch due to the earthquake, so it's not even as big of an accomplishment as it was a couple years ago.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/mt-everest-shrank-nepal-quake-lifted-kathmandu-n351271

that's fine, all we need is for someone to freeze to the bedrock while directly atop the summit

• Locked thread