Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SeaTard posted:

Hordes were awesome, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them being able to colonize. I was sad when that forever war mechanic was removed from EU4. Hell, I even had them modded to be a poo poo ton stronger, because I didn't think they were nasty enough.

Ming/Japan weren't ruined, just made a lot more difficult. Japan is basically the same as it is now, and I don't really see many people bitching about how Japan is still broken. Ming was definitely hit hard with the nerf bat, but later patches made it a lot easier to manage factions. And it wasn't that difficult to get out of Celestial Empire/Confucianism.

Cascading Alliances were definitely a problem, although they also tweaked them eventually so the war leader could only transfer once.

lmao @ this revisionist history bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BBJoey posted:

lmao @ this revisionist history bullshit

There's a reason why every strat in eu3 with ming involved losing the china system. It's the definition of a bad system.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Panzeh posted:

There's a reason why every strat in eu3 with ming involved losing the china system. It's the definition of a bad system.

Not to mention that the problem with hordes wasn't that they were able to colonise, but that to conquer them they had to be colonised and often were by bohemia leading to the aforementioned landsnakes. If your horde mechanic leads to landlocked German countries obtaining a coastline on the Asian side of the pacific ocean in 1600 then you have a bad mechanic!!

Further, Japan was not "basically the same as it is now", it was made up of 4 daimyos + the emperor and was completely opaque to both the user and the AI. The AI was completely incapable of handling the Japan mechanics and if a player was a daimyo they had to jump through a bunch of hoops and do counterintuitive poo poo to make sure they didn't have too much power to conquer the last daimyo once they became shogun. Oh yeah and in addition the system was entirely broken until the last patch which was released literally three years after the expansion first came out and only a few months before EU4 launched. Before then it was possible to permanently become unable to unify Japan as a daimyo and to permanently become unable to conquer Japan as an outsider. Good poo poo!

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 30, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus the forever war just does not work with how Eu3's war system is set up. The Hordes were only a threat for a short time, if they were defeated once they were basically done.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
EU3 was utter trash at start and utter trash at the end.

EU4 is a masterpiece because they knew all the boring poo poo they made in the previous three games and fixed it.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

uPen posted:

Cascading alliances

This was the worst thing, because it made German minors who were fifth degree allies with France invincible unless you could con them into attacking you first.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The worst thing about EU3 was the AI spamming diplomatic proposals at you. It didn't matter if it was opening markets, demand half your territory when you just started the war or white peace when AI was completely beaten, you are gonna get it half a billion times.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
DW was fine until 4.2 or whatever, when they nerfed the manpower.
What do you mean I can't have 10k gain a month with 20 provinces :(

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Disco Infiva posted:

The worst thing about EU3 was the AI spamming diplomatic proposals at you. It didn't matter if it was opening markets, demand half your territory when you just started the war or white peace when AI was completely beaten, you are gonna get it half a billion times.

Best part was if you were at war and hadn't completely trounced the AI it would constantly send you demands for huge sums of money and releasing half your country, woe to you if you decided to check those offers and accidentally accepted.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Wiz posted:

Best part was if you were at war and hadn't completely trounced the AI it would constantly send you demands for huge sums of money and releasing half your country, woe to you if you decided to check those offers and accidentally accepted.

And for some reason, the AI who decided to do this would nearly always be a incredibly distant one/two province minor whose only reason to be in the war is a random alliance cascade and is literally incapable of even fighting you, let alone beating you. It really helped to give EU3 it's own distinctive identity. I still have many fond memories of all those forgettable German Minors who demanded full surrender when I was at 100% warscore. Good times.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 30, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

It's things like this why I'll never play ironman. In a 20+ hour campaign I'm willing to live with my strategic mistakes. I'm not willing to live with clicking the wrong button and torpedoing a whole war because the cat is pacing in front of the monitor.

:negative:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I likely won't play Ironman again because the constant autosaving is just intrusive and annoying enough that it breaks up the flow of the game for me. The concept itself is solid. In a better-optimized hypothetical EUV with seamless autosaving, I'd probably play most of my games in that mode.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Fintilgin posted:

It's things like this why I'll never play ironman. In a 20+ hour campaign I'm willing to live with my strategic mistakes. I'm not willing to live with clicking the wrong button and torpedoing a whole war because the cat is pacing in front of the monitor.

:negative:

Well the issue here is rather why was it a cat? A hedgehog wouldn't have blocked the screen.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

BBJoey posted:

Further, Japan was not "basically the same as it is now", it was made up of 4 daimyos + the emperor and was completely opaque to both the user and the AI. The AI was completely incapable of handling the Japan mechanics and if a player was a daimyo they had to jump through a bunch of hoops and do counterintuitive poo poo to make sure they didn't have too much power to conquer the last daimyo once they became shogun. Oh yeah and in addition the system was entirely broken until the last patch which was released literally three years after the expansion first came out and only a few months before EU4 launched. Before then it was possible to permanently become unable to unify Japan as a daimyo and to permanently become unable to conquer Japan as an outsider. Good poo poo!

Bonus: they didn't bother fixing the historical starts, so Japan was disunified (in exactly the same setup, iirc) from 1399 to Jan 1st, 1821.

To be fair, as you mentioned, this accurately represented how the AI handled things

Wiz posted:

I've posted it before, but it's still funny to me

(Bonus: bohemia-snake, poised to reach the Persian Gulf in no time.)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

Well the issue here is rather why was it a cat? A hedgehog wouldn't have blocked the screen.

Because:

:3:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone have a linked to the archived Crete thread? I never read it when it was live and I feel like I might be missing something.

That and trying out Qvadriga makes me kinda want to see what Wiz did to EU: Rome to make it somewhat fun.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Drone posted:

Anyone have a linked to the archived Crete thread? I never read it when it was live and I feel like I might be missing something.

That and trying out Qvadriga makes me kinda want to see what Wiz did to EU: Rome to make it somewhat fun.

Here you go.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Panzeh posted:

And culminated in the glorious Minghals strat in EU4.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Looks like Hearts of Iron IV got delayed again.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ghetto Prince posted:

motherfucker

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ghetto Prince posted:

Ah poo poo.

Johan posted:

When we have a new expected releasedate, we'll announce it. When the game gets an approved alpha, we can start plan for that, but there is no way a game can go from alpha to relaese in less than six months, as i've said repeatedly.

Yeah, that's code for "Q1 2016, if you're lucky". :(

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PleasingFungus posted:

Bonus: they didn't bother fixing the historical starts, so Japan was disunified (in exactly the same setup, iirc) from 1399 to Jan 1st, 1821.

To be fair, as you mentioned, this accurately represented how the AI handled things

I've posted it before, but it's still funny to me

(Bonus: bohemia-snake, poised to reach the Persian Gulf in no time.)

I one day hope to use the phrase "This is worse than when I accidentally became Protestant" in an actual conversation.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, that's code for "Q1 2016, if you're lucky". :(

To be honest, this makes me even more confident that they're going to release a solid product. I'm happy Paradox is being responsible.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Take your time guys. Quality pays itself off

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
B-b-but if HoI 4 is delayed, how can I finish ByzLP??? :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Meanwhile, I think Hungary is... having some problems. :stare:

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Rincewind posted:

And these people claim to be descended from Attila :colbert:

jzilla fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 1, 2015

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Rincewind posted:

Nooo. Noooo don't do it. Hold ByzLP for Hoi4 or use Darkest Hour, but for God's sake don't do it

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Rincewind posted:

Clearly you should just start up that second mega-LP and by the time it's at like the end of EU4 it should be out? Hopefully?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alikchi posted:

To be honest, this makes me even more confident that they're going to release a solid product. I'm happy Paradox is being responsible.

Paradox is the only studio I know where an announcement 'we're pushing our release date back a year' is met with praise rather than scepticism.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
More time can only be a good thing for a game developer.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

I raise you my babby

Hmm.. I need to get Hedgehogs references into the game... Podcat already got his killer kitten in there.

Rincewind posted:

Its good for me, means I can play catch up :D

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Soup du Jour posted:

Clearly you should just start up that second mega-LP and by the time it's at like the end of EU4 it should be out? Hopefully?

I've literally been contemplating doing that instead of the intermission mini-LP I was planning.

Alikchi posted:

Nooo. Noooo don't do it. Hold ByzLP for Hoi4 or use Darkest Hour, but for God's sake don't do it

I was mostly just curious. I didn't have much fun, though. Maybe it'd get more fun if I actually knew how to play and picked a better country than France, but I'm extremely skeptical.

EDIT: I mean obviously more time = better HoI IV, but clearly this is what's important!!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

More time can only be a good thing for a game developer.

Yeah, except for the insane number of games crippled and ruined by feature creep and taking so long that they have to spend time doing engine upgrades instead of content development.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah, except for the insane number of games crippled and ruined by feature creep and taking so long that they have to spend time doing engine upgrades instead of content development.

"Insane number", really? I can only really think of Duke Nukem Forever that fits your description, and Paradox don't tend to jump from engine to engine during the development of a single game, which has gotta be one of the biggest timesinks in DNF's development.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah, I'm sure they'll need to make a new version of Clausewitz to get HoI 4 to run on the exotic space computers we'll be using when it comes out. :v:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

"Insane number", really? I can only really think of Duke Nukem Forever that fits your description, and Paradox don't tend to jump from engine to engine during the development of a single game, which has gotta be one of the biggest timesinks in DNF's development.

You don't get out much do you

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alikchi posted:

Agreed, this is better than it being a rushed piece of poo poo at release. They're probably rolling in cash right now, they can afford to wait a while.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

You don't get out much do you

No, please tell us more about the "insane number" of games whose development you've followed in great detail

:allears:

Gort fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Well, there was also Daikatana.

Or in relevance to HOI talk:
CAN'T LEAVE EUROPE WITHOUT MY BUDDY MUSSOLINI.

• Locked thread