Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

A Winner is Jew posted:

How is that compared to Alchemy?

I'd consider it a desert island softsynth, especially after the upgrades that come with 2. It's a hybrid rompler/softsynth with some ridiculous modulation capabilities. You can mix two sample banks, or a single sample and a generated waveform, or two generated waveforms and mangle the poo poo out of them. The sounds are great, the effects are great, the filters are great. The new version allows you to add your own sounds, and they upped the generated waveshapes from 5 to like 500 wavetables. It's a good synth imho.

Here's the updates version intro video. It'll show you some of what it can do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbpqdaLO-WI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
That looks kind of amazing but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a single softsynth. That's the price of Komplete, ffs, or Komplete Ultimate when it's on sale.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

That looks kind of amazing but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a single softsynth. That's the price of Komplete, ffs, or Komplete Ultimate when it's on sale.

Yeah. It's expensive. You get what you pay for IMHO.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

Yeah. It's expensive. You get what you pay for IMHO.

Yeah, but again compare it to Komplete Ultimate. Do you think you're getting the same amount out of Omnisphere 2? Maybe it's a question of how much of it you'd use, I guess.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Everyone I know who has Omnisphere uses it as their default soundmaker. Everyone.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah, but again compare it to Komplete Ultimate. Do you think you're getting the same amount out of Omnisphere 2? Maybe it's a question of how much of it you'd use, I guess.

I have both. I use both all the time. Omnisphere is a hell of a sound design tool.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Harumph. Well I'll just continue to sit here and be bitter because I can't afford it right now then.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Harumph. Well I'll just continue to sit here and be bitter because I can't afford it right now then.

Why don't you get a job, sir?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Because I'm a musician.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Aaaaaaaand, Omnisphere 2 won't update. Well, the core program will update, but the webpage keeps taking me in a big circle when I try to get it to update the library. Awesome. I now have a very pretty UI that makes no sound.

gently caress this. I'm gonna get drunk.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i plugged my akai s612 back in a couple nights ago
man i love this thing
so many knobs, and time sliders! easily my favorite sampler, hands on control makes big boxes actually feel like musical instruments instead of maybe just sounding like em

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Here's a little Braids action from this afternoon: https://soundcloud.com/portervance/big-old-trashy-noise-braids

Modulation is courtesy of Peaks, filter is the SSF/WMD Pole-Zero, sequence comes from the Meta Sequencer

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with Rapture Pro? Looks like I can get it on the cheap since I already own a bunch of Cakewalk poo poo, so I'm wondering if I should give it a shot.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Hmm.. $79 is indeed not a lot for a synth + 13 gb sample library. I've never used it, but the concept sounds a bit like Omnisphere's. The stuff they have on their site though, the examples etc.. mostly poo poo :( So I don't know

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the main concern is just that it's Cakewalk and I don't have the best impression of their products (based on using Sonar for most of a decade). I'll probably go ahead and take the plunge anyway, just to see what's what.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed, I'm kinda lukewarm on the Cakewalk stuff that I have—probably not going to get Rapture.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah the main concern is just that it's Cakewalk and I don't have the best impression of their products (based on using Sonar for most of a decade). I'll probably go ahead and take the plunge anyway, just to see what's what.
Counterpoint: Z3TA+ 2 is pretty good. FWIW.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

minidracula posted:

Counterpoint: Z3TA+ 2 is pretty good. FWIW.

What do you like about it? I have it but I can't really get into it over the Massive/Sylenth combo that gives me flexibility and SUPERSAWS

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

wayfinder posted:

What do you like about it? I have it but I can't really get into it over the Massive/Sylenth combo that gives me flexibility and SUPERSAWS
Caveats: while I have Massive as part of Komplete Ultimate 7, I haven't really dug into it at all yet (true for most of the stuff in Komplete, actually, even an older one like 7), and I don't have Sylenth (so I don't know what I'm missing there).

I actually like the presets. I mean, not all of them, but there's a lot of fun stuff in there that helps me get going when I just want to jam and I'm not in Serious Music Composition Mode. There's also a lot of cheesy stuff in there I Would Never UseTM, but is similarly fun in a slightly more mocking way. I feel the presets as a whole do a pretty good job of what you can do with the synth (not all preset collections do).

I like how direct it is, or at least seems to me, compared to some other similar soft synths. And deep in the Geek Section, I like that it supports Scala tuning files, and I plan to mess with that a lot (so far I've only poked at it minimally to see how it works).

Also, to be clear, I'm relatively new to Z3TA+ 2; it was WAFFLEHOUND who turned me on to it and sold me on it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Sylenth is really limited in comparison but it sounds just so buttery smooth and great, that's what made it so successful.

I guess I'll have another go at z3ta+2—I've had the first version forever but couldn't use it because of a weird bug where Live would instacrash if I hit the ctrl key while the z3ta+ GUI was open, and I picked up the new version for cheap in a sale, so it wasn't really a "I want this" purchase. I wouldn't say I made a real effort at exploration, although I skipped through all the presets at least once. Perhaps it's time to really check it out and do a little sound design with it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
btw http://www.audiodamage.com/ have a 25% off sale atm

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

wayfinder posted:

btw http://www.audiodamage.com/ have a 25% off sale atm

gently caress - I wish this was for hardware, too.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Also, the new Sonic Charge Echobode is sick.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

wayfinder posted:

Sylenth is really limited in comparison but it sounds just so buttery smooth and great, that's what made it so successful.

I guess I'll have another go at z3ta+2—I've had the first version forever but couldn't use it because of a weird bug where Live would instacrash if I hit the ctrl key while the z3ta+ GUI was open, and I picked up the new version for cheap in a sale, so it wasn't really a "I want this" purchase. I wouldn't say I made a real effort at exploration, although I skipped through all the presets at least once. Perhaps it's time to really check it out and do a little sound design with it.

I've been really into serum lately. It has a great and intuitive interface and the sounds are a lot richer than massive imo. I've been using it for half of my sounds for the past few weeks.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 2, 2015

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've been really into serum lately. It has a great and intuitive interface and the sounds are a lot richer than massive imo. I've been using it for half of my sounds for the past few weeks.
Serum's been on my "watchlist" for a while, great to hear a report from someone using it regularly. What kind of machine are you running it on CPU/performance-wise? I still do almost all my work on a Lenovo T410 (with an i5 CPU), and I'm a bit concerned it'd be pretty chompy on that in practice.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

Also, the new Sonic Charge Echobode is sick.

That looked really, really tempting when I checked it out the other day.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Trip report: Omnisphere 2 is loving ridiculous.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Go on

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I'm not very good at reviews. All I can tell you is that it's simply a joy to use. You'll start with an idea for some sound and the next thing you know, it's five hours later and your face hurts because you've been smiling the whole time.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My Patchblocks sequencer design is moving along nicely.

https://soundcloud.com/poindexter-frink/msv2-demo4

This track is super bad and super busy because it's my current stress-test patch.

I was getting despondent about the capacity/performance of the Patchblock until I looked at the build script and saw -O0 in the GCC options. Switching optimization on reduced the code size by 30% and improved performance greatly. I haven't hit the new capacity limit yet, primarily because I'm still coding and don't have the time or creativity left to make something more complex.

p.s.: The Patchblocks editor is free and comes with a free emulator, so if you're interested, you can download it and dive right in.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 4, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Minibrute's a hundred off on Arturia's site if anyone's interested.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

That book Ableton published is out digitally now, if you're into that.

http://amzn.com/B00WHXYZG8

Read about the first quarter. Couple things in there I'm definitely gonna try out, like explicitly separating writing time from editing time.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

sliderule posted:

How's the noise floor?

WHAAAT? SORRY, I CANT HEAR YOU ON ACCOUNT OF THE HURRICANE PASSING THROUGH.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
DEMAGNETIZE AND FACE TO DBX

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
New synthgoon challenge

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718060

e: oh yeah, and 'cuz I'm hella lazy. If I were to record some casio ryddims off some of my casios and upload them somewhere, would someone be willing to break them up into single hits?

Sizone fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 5, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sizone posted:

e: oh yeah, and 'cuz I'm hella lazy. If I were to record some casio ryddims off some of my casios and upload them somewhere, would someone be willing to break them up into single hits?
I automated something for this in Sox; I'll see if I can dig it up later.

Edit: outlined in this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=440710274&forumid=104

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 5, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Man, I suck. My GEM S2R came in the mail from Germany today. Because I didn't think modding the power supply to run off 110v would be a problem, I didn't bother to get a step up converter. Now I gotta wait another week or two for my step up converter to come in.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It's tough living in an island paradise.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It actually gets even worse. The dude I bought it from supplied a disc with a poo poo ton of samples and documentation, One of those pieces of documentation was the schematic for the power supply. I need to change 1 fuse and run a jumper between two leads. Had I read that before I opened the thing up I could be up and running by now. Instead it's all screwed back together and I have a superfluous voltage converter on it's way to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The SQ80 is soooo good. That is all.