Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

The robots seem okay to me. I think they're supposed to be scavenged from the Dark Age of Technology, so it makes sense that they are visually different from anything in the Imperium/Mechanicus. Their rules, I like a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

JerryLee posted:

I am utterly befuddled because there's something GW has done that everyone else is making GBS threads all over (those robot sculpts) that I'm not really offended by. It's like bizarro land.

They're not horrible figures in my view; they just don't fit with the overall Adeptus Mechanicus aesthetic as I see it. Someone else said that they look like what would happen if the Imperium tried to copy an Eldar design, and I'd agree with that.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Safety Factor posted:

Why would superman need a giant robo-suit? :psyduck:

The answer, of course, is one familiar to all of us in this thread: to sell toys.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I like the one with the peekaboo skull:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, I need to oath something along side all the repainting I am doing...

Options include:
Drop Pod
Blood Angels Tacticals
Ultramarine Bikers

The Drop Pod would put me at six total, and one more away from that seven I want for a competitive list...that being said, I hate them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

They're painted rather poorly. Its like a decision has been made to follow the painting guide book and keep it very basic for beginners.

GW made a decision a few years ago to show models that a were painted to a tabletop standard rather than a high standard. First timers were buying the models and couldn't paint them to the quality shown and were either rage-quitting the hobby or not trying because they couldn't achieve that standard. GW made the marketing decision to produce a lesser-quality paint job in WD in an effort to get more people to paint their models. This was about the time they started putting the step by step painting feature in WD, rather than the old "Step 1: basecoat; Step 2: layer; Step 3: drybrush; Result: Golden Daemon quality paintjob!" they used to do.

It was a good decision (for once.)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

berzerkmonkey posted:

GW made a decision a few years ago to show models that a were painted to a tabletop standard rather than a high standard. First timers were buying the models and couldn't paint them to the quality shown and were either rage-quitting the hobby or not trying because they couldn't achieve that standard. GW made the marketing decision to produce a lesser-quality paint job in WD in an effort to get more people to paint their models. This was about the time they started putting the step by step painting feature in WD, rather than the old "Step 1: basecoat; Step 2: layer; Step 3: drybrush; Result: Golden Daemon quality paintjob!" they used to do.

It was a good decision (for once.)

Oh I know all about that, but the models were still done well. Nice colour choices, well executed techniques. Even when they were following the step by steps the paint jobs were rather good. Gone are the days of The Sanguinor and the Grey Knights painted by Latham, but they still looked nice.

These models look like they've been painted by the shop floor staff.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Yeah when I watch their how-to videos on YouTube I feel like I could actually achieve what they're showing me, as opposed to the old:

berzerkmonkey posted:

Step 1: basecoat; Step 2: layer; Step 3: drybrush; Result: Golden Daemon quality paintjob!"

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I couldn't help myself and bought some more troops

Please don't shame my paint choices

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Instead of buying those new robits and 'fixing them' just buy a much more superior FW Casttelax

I mean if you HAVE to give GW money that is

Mange Mite posted:

I like the one with the peekaboo skull:

Look at how much better these look!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hixson posted:

They look like this guy off that Pixar movie-

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JerryLee posted:

I am utterly befuddled because there's something GW has done that everyone else is making GBS threads all over (those robot sculpts) that I'm not really offended by. It's like bizarro land.
Just wait for a week from now when there's actually decent photos of them and half the people bitching about them say "actually, these look pretty okay!" it's all part of the GW cycle.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah its silly looking, but you can actually make it look decent with a new head, arms, and a better pose. Considering the cost, that's not something you should need to out of the box, but its better than the centurions. No amount of kit bashing can save the baby michelin men.

My biggest problem with the robots is the head . The thing looks really simple and kinda goofy compared to other models and personally I think it looks like a trash can. I think a FW Castellax head would go a long way to make it look better.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I admire your optimism, SRM, but I really don't think this is going to happen.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if a Tau drone head would fit in there. Something with lots of wires and sensors so they look more like a robot and less like an exosuit.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

An Angry Bug posted:

I wonder if a Tau drone head would fit in there. Something with lots of wires and sensors so they look more like a robot and less like an exosuit.

I think a quick and easy idea would be to just smooth the head out and paint it black with a coat of gloss over it, so it's similar to the Thallax.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Just wait for a week from now when there's actually decent photos of them and half the people bitching about them say "actually, these look pretty okay!" it's all part of the GW cycle.

It didn't happen for Centurions, and it's not going to happen for these. They look like rear end. Or Assbots, if you will.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They're not horrible figures in my view; they just don't fit with the overall Adeptus Mechanicus aesthetic as I see it. Someone else said that they look like what would happen if the Imperium tried to copy an Eldar design, and I'd agree with that.

To my eye they fit in with the slightly smoother, sleeker but still Imperial look that you get with Tartaros terminators or Contemptor dreads (at least the plain, not legion specific version of each). It's a different aesthetic but not unprecedented. As for whether it fits in with the Mechanicus, I guess that depends on how you define the Mechanicus look in your mind. I'm admittedly not heavily invested in the Mechanicus personally, so those who are may be more entitled to their opinion than me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think the paintwork on them is pretty good. Painting them just one base color is pretty boring though, it definitely could look good with some variation in the color (more caution stripes basically)

Other stuff is looking good though:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

SRM posted:

I think the paintwork on them is pretty good. Painting them just one base color is pretty boring though, it definitely could look good with some variation in the color (more caution stripes basically)

Huh, his faceplate looks like the chest piece on a Battle Damage He-Man.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Why would He Man have a butt on his chest?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Any chance someone could re-host the pictures? Imgur seems to be blocked by my office all of a sudden.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
WHY DO THEY HAVE SONIC THE HEDGEHOG EYES?

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

SRM posted:

This happens EVERY SINGLE TIME in this thread. That and needless hyperbole.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

These guys would lend themselves super well to conversion into Cultists, IMO :getin:

(still not worth buying just for that, though)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Squifferific posted:

This happens EVERY SINGLE TIME in this thread. That and needless hyperbole.
The worst thing is that it's better than Dakka.

JerryLee posted:

These guys would lend themselves super well to conversion into Cultists, IMO :getin:

They would, but I think they're way too big for them. They look like they're on 32mm bases instead of 25s.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Wait, is that a giant plasma caliver? These need to be leaked faster.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JerryLee posted:

You could get the same general vibe with the Flagellant box and some guitar wire. Not horrible, but I dunno, not really feeling them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I like them. I have rose tinted goggles and they do remind me a lot of RT stuff.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Looks like someone figured out how tank treads actually work at some point during the 10,000 years after The Heresy. I bet they gave him his own planet.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm more surprised that the mechanicus in general understands the superiority of elevated drive sprockets.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Those robots would look way better if they'd stuck some pauldrons on the shoulders (as on the Castellax). As it is, the upper arms really remind me of partially assembled space marine.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
This is the loving bees knees and what I was hoping for with the AdMech release. If they'd gone monstrous half-tank half-servitor on everything it'd be brilliant.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Shamelessly crossposting from B&C

This is what I intend to do. Probably with some more obvious cautionstripes.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
So unless I am mistaken the price on the new forge world robots is cheaper then these guys.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you have to give GW money, buy actual castellax instead.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

If you have to give GW money, buy actual castellax instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently the Castellax are cheaper, too.

GW is starting to out-price its own premium studio.

• Locked thread