Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If it's a plot summary you want, check it It's not complete, but it's probably one of the most comprehensive ones you'll find so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Go back a few updates.
It's pretty straightforward. After everyone died, John talked to Terezi and got a list of poo poo to change in the past.
And when john changes poo poo it stays changed and doesn't have time loops or whatever, he's changing the story not the timeline.

Most of what's not really canon now is stuff from the three years no one was doing anything anyway. Except for john, roxy, and the dead trolls in dreamland, from their perspective everything happened.

Fundamentally what changed on the meteor side of things is that vriska did not die and gamzee was not free to wander. We find out most of what happened when vriska wasn't dead in the span of one flash cartoon acouple days ago, which is she made people actually get poo poo done.

The ship side of things were discussed previously, thats what the jane and jade and calliope storytime was about. Which is that to her john and davesprite died and she spent the three year journey sad and alone. She also met an alternate calliope or something, haven't found more out besides that.

If you just read the story it's not that hard to miss, this isn't Ulyssus or something.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Heran Bago posted:

I check this thing every few months and usually it's right where it was when I last checked it. Now most of the characters I thought were dead are not. Is the dog girl still evil? Why was she evil in the first place? Why is everyone where they are?

Better yet, is there somewhere I can just get a summary of the whole loving comic to date?
Start reading (well, watching, I guess,) with this page. Don't stop until you run out of new pages.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Why would anyone want a plot summary of Homestuck? Or jump in every few months and glance at what's currently going on without reading from where you left off last? It's probably the exact opposite of a comic for dipping into.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

JT Jag posted:

Davesprite survived fighting Jack, we haven't seen his body, he's not dead from this

He even survived turning into a watermark

Also I like how John still refers to him as "dave sprite" in the latest update

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dolash posted:

Why would anyone want a plot summary of Homestuck? Or jump in every few months and glance at what's currently going on without reading from where you left off last? It's probably the exact opposite of a comic for dipping into.

I didn't say anything about going straight to what's currently going on. I'll always pick up where I left off, and with the pauses that's often right where I put it down a few months ago. I would have to re-read most of the comic to really get what's going on, and in a couple years I'll probably do just that. I first started reading the comic years ago before the trolls were introduced and it was quite a big thing on the internet. I never exactly stopped reading it but I have very little idea of what's going on outside of the basic plot threads. Some kind of middle ground between re-reading the whole thing and understanding nothing would be nice. You know, a refresher or plot summary.

Thanks for the explanations guys. I'll check that out YggiDee.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Finally managed to read the update, and all the Davesprite discussion made me realize that this exact plotline ("everything goes to poo poo and is ruined, but someone goes back in time and saves the timeline") has been done before in the same story which ruins it a little bit

I mean, I guess it's the Davesprite plotline BUT MORE SO, like leveled up, so there's that

Also, food for thought: in Davesprite's timeline, Lil Cal was prototyped, meaning Lord English was prototyped.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dolash posted:

You know there was like... a year long break. And then another one for a few months. And Homestuck is full of nonsensical yet vitally important details. This is perhaps the most justified situation to desire a plot summary imaginable.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

loquacius posted:

Finally managed to read the update, and all the Davesprite discussion made me realize that this exact plotline... has been done before in the same story which ruins it a little bit
Uh, welcome to Homestuck, enjoy your stay? One of the fundamental things Homestuck does is iterate and reiterate the same story from different points of view and sometimes with different characters. What do you call the whole dual-timelines thing, the Scratch itself? It seems to me that Homestuck is, among other things, a years-long exploration of what story is, about what it's like to be trapped as a character in a story, about how repeating the same events over and over affects the character whose history has been rewritten.

Hussie said this right out loud in the last update.

quote:

DAVE: i guess it is """sad""" but you know a lot of versions of me have died
DAVE: lots of versions of all of us including you
DAVE: isnt whats important that certain dubiously categorized iterations of ourselves are all alive here and now and hanging out
JOHN: yeah, that is what's important!
JOHN: i guess there will be time to reflect on everything that was lost later, like dead time clones and double dead ghosts, or other such hogwash.
The characters are sitting right there talking about which version of them is real, and about the relevance of all the alt-timeline versions of themselves.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dolash posted:

It's weird to compare Homestuck and Rick & Morty. They definitely hit some similar notes regarding the multiverse of selves, but as in that clip Morty finds the idea of burying himself overwhelming while Dave hucked his own corpse into the magma and that was just the start of his problems.

Didn't he spend 'about an hour staring at his hands' afterward? (Can't find the page.)

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Y'know, the last time we had serious technical issues at the website was the week the server kept throwing up 503 Page Errors. The exact same week that Jake was jammed up in full-on Hopey Thing mode, just floating there yelling out "LAND SAKES ALIVE!" and the like. Maybe there's something to this idea that the refresh issues today are a sign that there's something wrong with Jake again... :ohdear:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Wyld Karde posted:

Y'know, the last time we had serious technical issues at the website was the week the server kept throwing up 503 Page Errors. The exact same week that Jake was jammed up in full-on Hopey Thing mode, just floating there yelling out "LAND SAKES ALIVE!" and the like. Maybe there's something to this idea that the refresh issues today are a sign that there's something wrong with Jake again... :ohdear:

Pretty much everything is wrong with Jake.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I can't see this update, but a friend can. drat YOU HUSSIE!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Curiously, yesterday's update now loads without a hitch.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The ugly, :f5: rush rears its head once more.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yesterday's (and Tuesday's) would show up as a link for me after a few refreshes (EDIT: As if there was a CDN issue). Today's is not showing up at all.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 30, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Same here. The updater told me there was an update, but the site disagrees.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's not working for me either. Anybody got a link to a mirror?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Make sure the url has the leading https://www. I've found that for some reason the site is slightly out of date when that's missing.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

JT Jag posted:

Start reading (well, watching, I guess,) with this page. Don't stop until you run out of new pages.

Being pretty removed from the emotional weight of this animation now, and watching it again because of this post, I gotta say GAME OVER is really technically impressive and does a lot of really cool and interesting things. I really can't wait to see Hussie pull out all the stops for the big finale.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Didn't he spend 'about an hour staring at his hands' afterward? (Can't find the page.)

It was ten minutes. Terezi mentioned it at some point, but I can't find the page.

Closest thing I got was this callback:

Andrew Hussie posted:

Poor HEGEMONIC BRUTE. His time in the spotlight has been cut tragically short. You almost feel sorry for the guy.

But now you have a problem. You spend the next ten minutes thinking about it while you stand on his head and stare at the blood on your hands, as the often utilized stock graphic in the bottom corner of the image would indicate.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 1, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CidGregor posted:

Being pretty removed from the emotional weight of this animation now, and watching it again because of this post, I gotta say GAME OVER is really technically impressive and does a lot of really cool and interesting things.
(rewatches) It fascinates me how well Hussie has trained me to see multiple art styles as the same person. That animation flips from artist to artist to artist, but I still viscerally see Dave and Terezi and Karkat, whether sprite or semi-realistic. The lava closing over Karkat's anguished sprite-face is no less wrenching than a realistic Dave getting double-stabbed. Also I love the ways that Hussie breaks the frame. Also also I love the way the artists play with stereo, which I didn't appreciate until I started listening through headphones to avoid waking my husband.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The update is supposed to be up in less than an hour, right? I still haven't gotten complete track of the new update schedule.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ThaumPenguin posted:

The update is supposed to be up in less than an hour, right? I still haven't gotten complete track of the new update schedule.
Most of the updates this week dropped about 45 minutes ago for me, but not last night's/this morning's one, which seemed like it was back to the original schedule (when it eventually cooperated).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

The official statement is " Instead I'll probably be updating around the strike of midnight in some European nation, most days. Which nation will it be? It is a fun surprise. "

The update went up an hour ago, shortly after 3 Pacific Time. However, not everybody (shakes hand at clouds) can see it. In fact, which goons can see it?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The update went up an hour ago, shortly after 3 Pacific Time. However, not everybody (shakes hand at clouds) can see it. In fact, which goons can see it?

It is actually up? Gifs and the txt files the site uses to load the content don't work either and I can't find anything on tumblr about it (I searched only ten seconds though, because, well, tumblr).

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
It's not yet up for me. Oh well, time I went to bed anyway, I'll just have to see it in the morning.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm starting to think that my friend who claimed that the update was there was either trolling me (yes, I am gullible) or we got our wires crossed and she was referring to yesterday's. The pumpkin notifier could just have flaked out, which it's done for me before.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm starting to think that my friend who claimed that the update was there was either trolling me (yes, I am gullible) or we got our wires crossed and she was referring to yesterday's. The pumpkin notifier could just have flaked out, which it's done for me before.

Yeah, I think your friend was either confused or screwing with you. I'm not seeing anything about a new update anywhere.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, I think your friend was either confused or screwing with you. I'm not seeing anything about a new update anywhere.
Yeah, I just checked Twitter and there's nothing. Sorry for spreading false information.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just refreshed a few times and it was there. :shrug:

edit: Unless we're not talking about this update:

Which shows up like a bunch of blank pages for some people. In which case I didn't see anything either.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Arsenic Lupin enjoys the Prankster's Gambit on this exchange.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CJacobs posted:

I just refreshed a few times and it was there. :shrug:

edit: Unless we're not talking about this update:

Which shows up like a bunch of blank pages for some people. In which case I didn't see anything either.

That one is from yesterday. It's marked as today because it's todays update and the one that comes out today will be tomorrows update. Hope that makes sense.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 1, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

Arsenic Lupin enjoys the Prankster's Gambit on this exchange.

Imagine me lying on the floor under a bucketfull of water.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The official statement is " Instead I'll probably be updating around the strike of midnight in some European nation, most days. Which nation will it be? It is a fun surprise. "

I'm in some European nation, drat you Hussie :argh:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That one is from yesterday. It's marked as today because it's todays update and the one that come out today will be tomorrows update. Hope that makes sense.

Homestuck updates are finally as convoluted as Homestuck itself.

Rad.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm in some European nation, drat you Hussie :argh:
Yesterday IIRC it turned out to be close to the time in Ponta Delgada, the Azores, which is technically part of Portugal. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/portugal/ponta-delgada-azores

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Now it's up.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

oh my god

dehumanize yourself and face to relationship chat :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica