Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is no way a handcuffed shackled man could generate enough force to break a vertebra like that, not without an assist from the drivers.

Exactly. Anyone that believes that is really obviously reaching and its shameful we have people in the media like Geraldo trying to propagate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Radish posted:

Anyone that believes the self spine breaking story is either a massive idiot, incredibly racist, or both. There is possibly like a 0.0001% chance he did break his own back but if that's the story you believe over the much more likely one that he was murdered you are one of those two things.

Hush you, physics and the human body don't matter in my judgement of this thug!

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

An 18 year old was filmed smashing a cop car window. His parents told him to do the right thing and turn himself in, and he did.
They set his bail at 500k and he could be looking at life in prison (but more likely, 4 to 8 years). #AllCarsMatter

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2015/04/balt_teen_encouraged_to_turn_self_in_by_parents_held_on_500_000_bail_faces.html

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

But you see, examiner's report on his teeth show that he didn't drink his milk to making his spine weak. It's really his fault for not eating a balanced, organic diet.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Miltank posted:

What word is next after thug on the euphemism treadmill?

if reddit is anything to go by, they spend 10 minutes thinking about it until another youtube video appears for them to get riled up over and valiantly take back the word

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bullfrog posted:

An 18 year old was filmed smashing a cop car window. His parents told him to do the right thing and turn himself in, and he did.
They set his bail at 500k and he could be looking at life in prison (but more likely, 4 to 8 years). #AllCarsMatter

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2015/04/balt_teen_encouraged_to_turn_self_in_by_parents_held_on_500_000_bail_faces.html

Those parents are idiots.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I really appreciate the use of language that gives us 'the investigation has revealed a previously unknown stop', implying that the van it some sort of independent entity they had to track and study, instead of being driven by BPD officers. Who, I guess, lied about how they rough-rode the guy until someone realized they were caught on tape.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Whenever police do anything bad it's reported in the passive voice as if people and dogs just kill themselves when police walk by.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Radish posted:

Those parents are idiots.

The step father seems to know how things work "Go turn yourself in or the cops will break down that door and possibly shoot your family members"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

The step father seems to know how things work "Go turn yourself in or the cops will break down that door and possibly shoot your family members"

Fair enough.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Radish posted:

Whenever police do anything bad it's reported in the passive voice as if people and dogs just kill themselves when police walk by.

They tow madness in their wake. Horrible, horrible.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Radish posted:

Anyone that believes the self spine breaking story is either a massive idiot, incredibly racist, or both. There is possibly like a 0.0001% chance he did break his own back but if that's the story you believe over the much more likely one that he was murdered you are one of those two things.

I have a hard time believing that anyone sincerely believes this theory. It seems obvious to me that its just the excuse people who always wanted to vindicate the police were waiting for. I heard Hannity saying "I'll reserve judgment... but cops are great and Gray had a record" for days and then the WaPo story ran and he basically did a celebration dance saying "See? I reserved judgement and now we have proof the cops are innocent. Now everyone who doubted them and me apologize and kiss my feet."

Its transparent but I suppose if you live in the Fox News/Conservative bubble maybe it works.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
The passive voice the media uses in reference to police incidents is the most insidious poo poo.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Bullfrog posted:

This reminds me of that story about the kid who was learning about how drugs were bad in school. He went home and saw that his parents had weed. Thinking he would help them he told the cops. Both of his parents were arrested, lost their jobs, can't find new jobs, and now that kid is screwed. Moral of the story: Don't snitch.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Radish posted:

My favorite one was from a report, I don't remember which incident it was, that said the suspect struggled or whatever, "at which point an officer-involved shooting occurred." Verbatim. drat these free-floating officer-involved shootings, spontaneously coalescing on top of these fine upstanding officers!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That $500,000 bail is particularly galling when Bates was set at $25,000. I guess this does give us a clear metric on the perceived values of lives vs. police car windows, though.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
What confuses me, I think, is that if Freddie Gray had the raw physical strength to break his own back while handcuffed and confined in a moving vehicle, how was this superhuman mutant apprehended in the first place? Hell, why was he even in Balitmore and not living the highlife somewhere else, making a handsome living with his feats of herculean strength in World's Strongest Man competitions?

Maybe his unique talents only manifested in moment's of great need, such as when he was forced to kill himself rather than face the dishonor of a sham trial. How mysterious.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
That extra stop that no one knew happened may be construed as police checking on their prisoner and then attempting to revive him, thus clearing themselves of the negligent homicide charges. Prosecutors would never have filed a reckless homicide charge anyway.

They're gonna say that he killed himself and no one can prove differently because the police and prosecutor have literally spent a week figuring out a foolproof plan.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
the baltimore police is literally nelson muntz telling freddy gray to stop hitting himself

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Cichlid the Loach posted:

My favorite one was from a report, I don't remember which incident it was, that said the suspect struggled or whatever, "at which point an officer-involved shooting occurred." Verbatim. drat these free-floating officer-involved shootings, spontaneously coalescing on top of these fine upstanding officers!

Remember cop that assaulted the MTA employee on the subway? That was a pretty stark before and after on the descriptors.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I have a hard time believing that anyone sincerely believes this theory. It seems obvious to me that its just the excuse people who always wanted to vindicate the police were waiting for. I heard Hannity saying "I'll reserve judgment... but cops are great and Gray had a record" for days and then the WaPo story ran and he basically did a celebration dance saying "See? I reserved judgement and now we have proof the cops are innocent. Now everyone who doubted them and me apologize and kiss my feet."

Its transparent but I suppose if you live in the Fox News/Conservative bubble maybe it works.

If I weren't working I'd dig some up, but there's been more than a few outside that Fox/Conservative bubble reporting it with maybe just a hint of skepticism thrown in. CNN, LA Times..maybe NBC? I forget which (at least as of this morning, maybe they updated since). It transcends well past the usual garbage news..not that some of those are always a whole lot better.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

hobbesmaster posted:

If you know what you are doing you go to a decent lawyer and then do whatever they say.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

FuriousxGeorge posted:

If you know what you are doing you go to a decent lawyer and then do whatever they say.

It's true, having means to afford legal representation and counsel improves your odds of not being disappeared into our penal system.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Cichlid the Loach posted:

I got that feeling in my bones, Billy. Lock up the dogs and tell yer sisters to get inside, there's an officer-involved shooting rolling in on the nor'wester.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

quote:

The medical examiner found Gray's catastrophic injury was caused when he was slammed into back of the police transport van and apparently broke his neck. Law enforcement sources also said Gray sustained a head injury that matches a bolt in the back of the police van, the affiliate reported.

If substantiated by the released report, I wonder if the narrative will turn on how absurd it is that BPD would arrest someone just for looking at them and then be incompetent enough to kill him en route to booking, or if BPD will just run with the existing 'he killed himself' story.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/30/us-usa-police-baltimore-idUSKBN0NL1GO20150430

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/30/baltimore-rioters-parents-500000-bail-allen-bullock

Some other fun things:

quote:

Only one of the city’s four district courts was in operation on Wednesday, apparently due to security concerns, amid a logjam of dozens of people arrested during riots and protests in the past few days.

Roselyn Michelle Roberts, a 43-year-old grandmother, faced two charges of fourth-degree theft and burglary. The court heard that Roberts suffered from manic depression and earned around $60 a week babysitting her grandchild. The state’s attorney argued for a $50,000 bail. Judge Owens revised the figure to $100,000 citing two pending cases against her and a record of eight prior convictions.

The court heard how Antonio Jackson, a father of one who works as a warehouse labourer, was allegedly caught with a pair of tennis shoes still with their price tag. He was not arrested at the scene of looting and his public defender argued he would lose his job if not released. The state’s attorney requested $50,000 bail. This was revised by Judge Owens to $100,000, who cited a single occasion when Jackson failed to appear at a scheduled court date.

Justice is blind :911:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Bullfrog posted:

dumb loving parents. Never trust the justice system to rule in your favour unless you can afford a good lawyer.

^^^ At least the prisons will be getting a whole slew of new inmates to cash in on. CAPITALISM, gently caress yeah!

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 30, 2015

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
How and why are public defenders funded, and what incentive (aside from reputation/professional pride) do they have to represent their clients well?

The cynic in me says they're a powerless prop put in place so they can say the accused wasn't completely defenseless, akin to giving someone a dull pocketknife so you can say they were armed when 10 men gunned them down.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Spun Dog posted:

Remember cop that assaulted the MTA employee on the subway? That was a pretty stark before and after on the descriptors.

Pretty much this entire incident was on camera, and the MTA union pitched a huge fit about it (as they should have), which probably helped get a fair take on the incident put out there. Also, since cops and transit personnel often have to work together to deal with unruly or indigent customers in the system, this sort of assault is a huge breach of trust. Transit workers in New York aren't really very otherized to the NYPD in most cases, so it's a very atypical case.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Agrajag posted:

dumb loving parents. Never trust the justice system to rule in your favour unless you can afford a good lawyer.

If he were white and from a respected family, he'd be released on $1000 bail and given probation next month.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

If he were white and from a respected family, he'd be released on $1000 bail and given probation next month.

I forget where I saw it but

some news article posted:

Roberts says those arrested will face charges including public intoxication and disorderly conduct, and will be arraigned as early as Monday.

ohhh, right, Kentucky.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19NZdEfqGOs

reposting.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TwoQuestions posted:

How and why are public defenders funded, and what incentive (aside from reputation/professional pride) do they have to represent their clients well?

The cynic in me says they're a powerless prop put in place so they can say the accused wasn't completely defenseless, akin to giving someone a dull pocketknife so you can say they were armed when 10 men gunned them down.

I know a few (some that actually worked in Baltimore) and they definitely are trying to do their job well.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

grah posted:

Pretty much this entire incident was on camera, and the MTA union pitched a huge fit about it (as they should have), which probably helped get a fair take on the incident put out there. Also, since cops and transit personnel often have to work together to deal with unruly or indigent customers in the system, this sort of assault is a huge breach of trust. Transit workers in New York aren't really very otherized to the NYPD in most cases, so it's a very atypical case.

I was trying to point out how the media changed their description of the incident once they found out it was a cop. Initial reports were about how a Huge Thug/Hulking Brute assaulted the MTA employee. After it was determined he was a cop, passive voice took over and there were a bunch of "allegedly's" thrown around.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The highwater mark for parents putting their own kids into the system has to be the guy who planted drugs in his kids truck to teach him a lesson...who then got the "kids for cash" judge.....who sent him to juvy....where he befriended a bunch of gangsters and criminals and eventually killed himself.

My favorite part of the whole stupid thing was that the dad was doing it so his sons high school drinking wouldn't screw up his college wrestling scholarship....which is basically a drinking scholarship as far as I know.

I'm on my phone but if you google the dads name, kenzakoski, and "planted drugs" you can find it.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Spun Dog posted:

I was trying to point out how the media changed their description of the incident once they found out it was a cop. Initial reports were about how a Huge Thug/Hulking Brute assaulted the MTA employee. After it was determined he was a cop, passive voice took over and there were a bunch of "allegedly's" thrown around.

Oh my bad, I thought you were presenting it as a counterexample to how police are portrayed. I misread you totally, my bad!

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

grah posted:

Oh my bad, I thought you were presenting it as a counterexample to how police are portrayed. I misread you totally, my bad!

No problem, it wasn't a very detailed post.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Spun Dog posted:

Violating the "don't read the comments" rule was usually good for a laugh (or for chewing on the business end of a gun). On the "thug viciously attacks MTA worker" articles, tons of comments about how this guy is a horrible human being for attacking a government employee and he needs to be found immediately and locked away forever. On the "MTA employee allegedly assaulted by Police Officer" ones, the comments tended to veer towards "MTA bitch must have done something stupid to make a Real Cop do that".

Not surprising, though. It seems rather common to think about a situation in the most negative light for the perpetrator when it's a generic "person", but once it's someone with positive qualities ascribed to them (a friend, loved one, or someone in a respected position), suddenly the perpetrator must be falsely accused, and if not, they must have had a reason to do that. I've watched it happen between sentences, even:
"A guy harassed a girl at an event I was at."
"He should never be allowed to be there again, please tell me his name so I know to avoid him and let staff know about it."
"Uh, OK, it's this guy."
"Wait, I know him. That doesn't sound like him. Maybe he had an off day. Did your friend contact him later to find out why he was acting like that? Maybe she said something that set him off."
Even with the same facts, once the person committing the offense is no longer Other, everything turns upside-down and maybe the victim was at fault after all.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Spun Dog posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/30/baltimore-police-van-freddie-gray-stop

quote:

The video footage of the previously undisclosed van stop was filmed by cameras above the entrance to CR Grocery, a shop on the corner of the two streets mentioned by police.

Jung Hwang, the owner of the shop, told the Guardian on Thursday that detectives visited him one day last week following Gray’s death and appeared to take copies of the footage that was stored on his laptop computer.

However, the shop was then looted during Monday’s unrest, said the shop owner, who is Korean and speaks little English. “The laptop was stolen,” he said.

Hwang said he did not see what the footage showed and did not know the vehicle had stopped outside on 12 April because the shop was closed.

God loving dammit. What are the chances the thief will realize what they have? (Or that the police will release the footage.)

Zeitgueist posted:

Lolja ... was suspended after the assault in which the Metropolitan Transportation Authority worker ... was allegedly put into a bear hug, thrown to the floor, and choked

Nerve of that bitch, getting herself choked at that innocent officer who was just walking by.

• Locked thread