Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, everything about that whole sequence is pretty great aside from the gymnastics stuff. Also the trailer-over-the-cliff bit is a really nice action setpiece too, with (poor) Eddie frantically trying to pull the trailers back up and the windshield cracking under Sarah always makes my hands sweat.
Man Eddie's death was pretty brutal for me because I saw the Lost World when I was like 8 and he gets loving ripped in half. :stare:

Death By The Blues posted:

New Footage in form of a featurette. I am disappointed in the lack of animatronics displayed so far, although that visitor center looks really cool.
Oh god one of the kids in Jurassic World is named Zach, I can just imagine what my aunt will be saying when she sees this movie.

MisterBibs posted:

I liked 3 more than Lost World because I liked Grant over Malcolm. :colbert:

Also, Lost World made fun of Bakker, so there's that. (yes, I know Grant was based on Horner, making this odd, but I don't care.)
Bakker liked his character eaten because it proved that T-Rex was a predator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, everything about that whole sequence is pretty great aside from the gymnastics stuff. Also the trailer-over-the-cliff bit is a really nice action setpiece too, with (poor) Eddie frantically trying to pull the trailers back up and the windshield cracking under Sarah always makes my hands sweat.

I thought the shot of the three of them hanging on the rope while the trailer falls around them was awesome. I'm also a sucker for all the little quips during the movie so I liked when Eddie asks them if they need anything else and they order burgers. Ian has such a sarcastic "I am so done with this poo poo" attitude about everything and it's great.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lost World has good bits. I love "DON"T GO INTO THE TALL GRASS"

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The Lost World was an acceptable sequel on the whole, hampered by the fact that kids in movies/TV tend to suck and mostly serve as a crutch for the protagonists to overcome.

- Tall Grass
- Dropping Trailer over the Cliff
- First TRex roar at SD
- The opening sequence with the girl on the beach
- The core concept of the Raptor chase, if not the specific execution (gymnastics, digging under the door)
- The tent sequence where the TRex capture starts

There is a lot good going on in the film, then the KID, also Vince Vaughn being smug I guess. I still think it's entirely okay, it's really hard to touch how great JP1 was.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Also Peter Stormare getting killed by compies is pretty great

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, The Lost World really does the compies justice. Even though the mismatch between the animatronic and the CG compies is a bit jarring, with the latter being superior in that case. It's also the only Vince Vaughn movie where I don't particularly mind him, but I guess it helps that I always saw him as somewhat the movie version of Levine from the novel who was also slightly douchy and smug at times.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

You know everyone points to the Kelly gymnastics scene as the worst part of the Lost World and they are right because it overshadows a pretty fun action piece, my favorite being when Ian is trying to escape this raptor by going into a building, the raptor jumps through the window and it and Ian proceed to go back and forth going inside and outside of the building.

That documentary I linked to in my JPIII post last page has behind the scenes footage of Spielberg filming that scene. It's p good

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Even with all its faults I find Jurassic Park 2 is still a lot better then quite a few modern blockbusters. It is shot really nicely.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
What the hell does "Burt Lancaster in The Unforgiven" mean when you apply it to a dinosaur that likely won't show up until halfway through Act 2?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Man Eddie's death was pretty brutal for me because I saw the Lost World when I was like 8 and he gets loving ripped in half. :stare:

Much of Lost World was subversion.

- The protagonists are the ones that get everyone killed, because they're idiots (outside of Malcom, who was audience stand-in). The "villains," who actually did own the dinos, were doing perfectly fine before the idiots came in and messed everything up.

- The "nicest" of the protagonists died the most horribly of anyone in the entire movie, right after ridiculous heroism

- After the heroes provide the first death by getting one of themselves killed by being idiots, they are rescued by the "villains."

- The great white hunter who had the whole Ahab setup...takes out the T-Rex in his showdown with it...and leaves the movie immediately afterward

Also, that digging under the door scene was really great, as that was actually a very unsuspecting jump scare at the time. I think it's mostly because that giant raptor head just basically fills the frame nonchalantly instead of a normal jump - setup.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Raptor Red was a fun book when I was 13. :tbear:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Darko posted:

- The protagonists are the ones that get everyone killed, because they're idiots (outside of Malcom, who was audience stand-in). The "villains," who actually did own the dinos, were doing perfectly fine before the idiots came in and messed everything up.

Vince Vaughn's character is also pretty interesting in that he's pretty much way more awful than Roland and is basically an ecoterrorist

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The movie plays as some sort of cautionary meta tale on the advent of the blockbuster and losing the magic with various sequels, reboots, and retreads. Julianne Moore is the young gun hired to reboot the entire film but make it bigger and better, the first time we see her is with a camera. Jeff Goldblum is essentially Spielberg running around telling people that this is a bad idea and that we shouldn't do this and keep the original were it belongs. In the end the T-rex escapes and threatens downtown which itself is analogy for home video rental and how nostalgia can be easily revisited and reborn. The screenwriter being eaten outside of a video store that he is locked out of also shows how the writer himself will be slowly left out of this process and more and more of these sequels and reboots will be made, regardless of the original film makers intent.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The movie plays as some sort of cautionary meta tale on the advent of the blockbuster and losing the magic with various sequels, reboots, and retreads. Julianne Moore is the young gun hired to reboot the entire film but make it bigger and better, the first time we see her is with a camera. Jeff Goldblum is essentially Spielberg running around telling people that this is a bad idea and that we shouldn't do this and keep the original were it belongs. In the end the T-rex escapes and threatens downtown which itself is analogy for home video rental and how nostalgia can be easily revisited and reborn. The screenwriter being eaten outside of a video store that he is locked out of also shows how the writer himself will be slowly left out of this process and more and more of these sequels and reboots will be made, regardless of the original film makers intent.

does the tall grass represent anything
because i love the tall grass

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Fear of one's own repressed sexuality, obviously

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

mr.capps posted:

does the tall grass represent anything
because i love the tall grass

Nah. That is just a fun set piece.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wait I just looked it up and its apparently long grass.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

^ For real, can't believe ya'll would misremember that iconic quote.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
"Don't go into the long grass!" and then he loving goes in anyway and gets minced by raptors huhuhu.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

New Footage in form of a featurette. I am disappointed in the lack of animatronics displayed so far, although that visitor center looks really cool.

Visitor center looks great, although that dinosaur hologram definitely makes it feel like this is set in the future rather than present day.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Something tells me that's one of those fluff half-truths. 5 weeks is so loving late in the process. Casting would have been done, the entire pipeline is moving, locations are ready and sets are preparing to being built or already in the process.

They might have changed the setup, but gently caress me if they did a page 1 rewrite.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So what the hell does "Burt Lancaster in unforgiven" mean?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Darko posted:

- The "nicest" of the protagonists died the most horribly of anyone in the entire movie, right after ridiculous heroism

This scene always struck me for some reason. It's like Eddie is trying to do his hero thing and save Ian and crew but then something goes wrong. And then something else goes wrong. And then another thing goes wrong. Like, here's your only competent member of the group being competent and saving the day but we can't have that! At some point, he should have broken the 4th wall and yelled "are you loving kidding me?". His last 5 minutes alive are scrambling from one bad thing to another then the T-Rexs show up and his gun gets stuck in a loving net :lol:

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Darko posted:

- After the heroes provide the first death by getting one of themselves killed by being idiots, they are rescued by the "villains."

- The great white hunter who had the whole Ahab setup...takes out the T-Rex in his showdown with it...and leaves the movie immediately afterward

Also, that digging under the door scene was really great, as that was actually a very unsuspecting jump scare at the time. I think it's mostly because that giant raptor head just basically fills the frame nonchalantly instead of a normal jump - setup.

And if you need any further evidence that this was explicitly intended, Spielberg even named them after the ironic hero and villain of "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner".

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/warrenzevon/rolandtheheadlessthompsongunner.html

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Trump posted:

Something tells me that's one of those fluff half-truths. 5 weeks is so loving late in the process. Casting would have been done, the entire pipeline is moving, locations are ready and sets are preparing to being built or already in the process.

They might have changed the setup, but gently caress me if they did a page 1 rewrite.

Well he does say that the original concept was that there were two planes, one full of kids and one full of adults and the kid one crashes. So the plot doesn't sound wildly different, in that its a plan with a couple of parents searching for one kid instead of multiple sets of parents searching for multiple kids.

It's becoming increasingly common in modern blockbusters for major rewrites to happen late in the game, only they now have to write around casting and completed concept art, sets, and pre-vis. This happened recently on The Force Awakens, on Ant-Man, etc. This means that they have major set pieces which must remain in the film, but the order and the connective tissue can be changed pretty wildly, and character moments can be completely rewritten in between.

So it sounds like maybe they just pared down the previous version of the script and made it one family instead of multiple families, and then wrote the film so that it was just one kid going through every one of the action set pieces, hence why nobody really dies after the first attack - because originally they had way more characters in the original version that could be offed. I would love, love, love to read the original version though.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 1, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I imagine the kids in the first JP would have some nightmares and PTSD after the events of the first movie. Imagine explaining that one to people.

"Yeah, I have PTSD because I got chased by dinosaurs as a kid."

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Cole posted:

I imagine the kids in the first JP would have some nightmares and PTSD after the events of the first movie. Imagine explaining that one to people.

"Yeah, I have PTSD because I got chased by dinosaurs as a kid."

It's a good thing Nedry died, cause that laugh would be triggery as all hell.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I liked that in The Lost World novel Malcolm is shown as having a pretty bad Dino-PTSD while under anesthesia, and he was written to be wary of raptors to the point of reverence.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Zefiel posted:

I liked that in The Lost World novel Malcolm is shown as having a pretty bad Dino-PTSD while under anesthesia, and he was written to be wary of raptors to the point of reverence.

They basically took this and gave it to Grant in JP3; the raptor dream, the 3D printed raptor call, etc etc

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zefiel posted:

Did Malcolm ever see a raptor in person? (in the first movie)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

At the pen when they're introduced to Muldoon.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Senor Tron posted:

The baby at least, and possibly he saw them eating even though the camera didn't show it

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Fried Chicken posted:

The baby at least, and possibly he saw them eating even though the camera didn't show it

In the first novel he had ample time to look at them and be afraid while they ate their way through the steel protecting the windows of the visitor's center. Maybe this movie will bring the scene of the kids playing with an infantile raptor from the first novel, too!

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BwDux-4gdA

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Prolonged Priapism posted:

But that scene is based on the original novel, where it's Muldoon who shoots the rex. :allears:
Yeah that scene is pretty bad rear end, but I mean come on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz2YCQnF_HQ

Muldoon had a rocket launcher (and was on a jeep iirc) Roland is doing all this on foot with just enough time to get two shots in.

Also I love this little rant from Roland too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seCERpBIcSo
Man Peter Postlethwaite was such a great actor

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 2, 2015

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I love how the guy who makes the "Don't go into the long grass!' comment says so while running into the long grass. As a kid watching that I thought about that so much I didn't even notice the whole thing with the crashing ship and how the severed hand got on the wheel.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
That makes sense to me. He's trying to motivate the group to not do it, but he definitely doesn't want to leave the group. Safety in numbers is deeply ingrained in our psyche.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bobjr posted:

the whole thing with the crashing ship and how the severed hand got on the wheel.
If I remember right, there was a (scripted but unfilmed? deleted?) scene where the raptors got onto the ship and murdered everybody.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
I cant wait for this movie, I loved the first one, didn't care for the others, but this looks bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Prolonged Priapism posted:

But that scene is based on the original novel, where it's Muldoon who shoots the rex. :allears:

I forget doesn't Muldoon live in the novel too? The lawyer character is pretty cool in the book too right? In the movie he was like two book characters meeged into one or something.

• Locked thread