Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du13xlfi6ps

3rd part of Gopher's preview is up. His videos are so much more informative than all the other videos it's not even funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Broose posted:

My memory is a bit hazy, but what was going on then at the start of the first game? I was under the impression some of them weren't witchers, and they were training to become one, or something of the sort, then poo poo hit the fan.
Leo wasn't a real witcher (hadn't gone through the mutations) but sometimes they do end up training people as such anyway for various reasons. Ciri is another example. She was witcher-trained entirely because when you have a witcher for foster parent it's really the only useful thing they can teach her. Triss was very worried they'd try to subject her to the mutations (which would more likely than not kill her) and that they were going to have her figure it out for them, but they never were willing to do that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Somehow I only now realized that Adam Jensen is basically a more emo and mopey cyberpunk Geralt, right down to the unnecessary experimental biomodifications.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

g0del posted:

Ignore that, you'll be fine.

Alright I'm gonna have faith! 'Bout to buy on Steam while it's 15% off...

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Elukka posted:

Leo wasn't a real witcher (hadn't gone through the mutations) but sometimes they do end up training people as such anyway for various reasons. Ciri is another example. She was witcher-trained entirely because when you have a witcher for foster parent it's really the only useful thing they can teach her. Triss was very worried they'd try to subject her to the mutations (which would more likely than not kill her) and that they were going to have her figure it out for them, but they never were willing to do that.

And it turned her into a total boss.

I really hope they do a playable version of the ice skating bit from the books, given that they showed Ciri in the mountains.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Only thing I remember is that Triss was worried about her "assets" developing with mutagens. There might have been something about her magical talents, but it's been a while since I read those books.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

How big is the install going to be?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

black.lion posted:

System Requirements
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 / AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
Hard Drive: 35 GB available space

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

black.lion posted:

I think the size quoted in the requirements was around ~40 GB

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

eXXon posted:

Somehow I only now realized that Adam Jensen is basically a more emo and mopey cyberpunk Geralt, right down to the unnecessary experimental biomodifications.
I got my new computer built a month or so ago and decided that I had a bunch of games that I got really cheap on Steam that I could play to pass the time till W3 was out. First I played the 2013 Tomb Raider and it was fantastic. I would go on about how much i liked it but this is the W3 thread. Then I tried Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I think it is awful...I think that in part because it feels like Adam Jensen is a poor man's Geralt. Instead of continuing Deus Ex I started Witcher 2 up again :geno:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bort Bortles posted:

I got my new computer built a month or so ago and decided that I had a bunch of games that I got really cheap on Steam that I could play to pass the time till W3 was out. First I played the 2013 Tomb Raider and it was fantastic. I would go on about how much i liked it but this is the W3 thread. Then I tried Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I think it is awful...I think that in part because it feels like Adam Jensen is a poor man's Geralt. Instead of continuing Deus Ex I started Witcher 2 up again :geno:

I think you're missing out. DXHR is a fantastic game. It's cool if it's not your thing, though.

You should play Bulletstorm if you like f/3pses.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

GrossMurpel posted:

Plus, from what I heard you can reset your skills, right? So you don't have to spend 100 of your 200 hours (200 loving hours!) using a build you don't like.

Sure, just go and find the Operator...

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
If I wanted to play The Witcher 1 what would be some good quality of life mods and some advice? I've tried playing it before, but I don't think I got much beyond the first village. Witcher 2 is still pretty fresh in my head.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Any word on an early install on Steam?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm playing through TW2 on Dark for the first time to try and get a sense for which difficulty I want to play TW3 on, and it hasn't seemed too hard. Maybe it's the Raven's Armor, etc..., or the fact that I've done the prologue so many times. Does the difficulty spike at Flotsam? What's the actual difference between difficulties?

GrossMurpel posted:

Plus, from what I heard you can reset your skills, right? So you don't have to spend 100 of your 200 hours (200 loving hours!) using a build you don't like.

You can change which ones you have "equipped," but from what I can tell, the actual point investments are permanent. Unless they add something like the Operator, yeah, but if it's anything like TW2, it'll be very out-of-the-way, and mostly for people playing through a second time that know about it.

Speaking of the skill system, I was feeling fairly hesitant when I first saw it (I like skill trees :(), but looking at the descriptions for the skills, it really does look like it'll allow people to tailor their build around specific playstyles. I.E. playing offensively or defensively, with heavy or light armor, etc..., independently of whether you prefer alchemy/signs/swords.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drifter posted:

I think you're missing out. DXHR is a fantastic game. It's cool if it's not your thing, though.

You should play Bulletstorm if you like f/3pses.
I played throug hto the first boss and the game just didnt excite me. I enjoyed sneaking around and being stealthy, but the inventory management is one of the worst I have ever seen and I just did not find myself enjoying the game :shrug: Compared to Tomb Raider 2013 the was just not my thing.

edit: and I dont even know what a f/3pses is :v:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Would anyone be interested in gifting me the Steam version of this in exchange for a code that you can redeem on GOG?

I got my free version for ordering a 970 without realizing that you have to redeem it from GOG. It's not a big deal and I'll just keep it if no one wants to do it, but I'd rather have it on Steam for convenience's sake. It's still 10% off and only $53.99 last I checked.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Good news everyone! :zoid:

Apparently NVidia opened up their wallets and sprung for more codes. Newegg's got most 970s with the deal again! :woop: Time to abuse the billmelater account!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bort Bortles posted:

I played throug hto the first boss and the game just didnt excite me. I enjoyed sneaking around and being stealthy, but the inventory management is one of the worst I have ever seen and I just did not find myself enjoying the game :shrug: Compared to Tomb Raider 2013 the was just not my thing.

edit: and I dont even know what a f/3pses is :v:

First person / Third person shooters. Tomb Raider is a game about shooting, even though the camera is just a little shy off the first person mark.

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

VDay posted:

Would anyone be interested in gifting me the Steam version of this in exchange for a code that you can redeem on GOG?

I got my free version for ordering a 970 without realizing that you have to redeem it from GOG. It's not a big deal and I'll just keep it if no one wants to do it, but I'd rather have it on Steam for convenience's sake. It's still 10% off and only $53.99 last I checked.

Sent you a PM.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cheston posted:

I'm playing through TW2 on Dark for the first time to try and get a sense for which difficulty I want to play TW3 on, and it hasn't seemed too hard. Maybe it's the Raven's Armor, etc..., or the fact that I've done the prologue so many times. Does the difficulty spike at Flotsam? What's the actual difference between difficulties?

You can change which ones you have "equipped," but from what I can tell, the actual point investments are permanent. Unless they add something like the Operator, yeah, but if it's anything like TW2, it'll be very out-of-the-way, and mostly for people playing through a second time that know about it.

Speaking of the skill system, I was feeling fairly hesitant when I first saw it (I like skill trees :(), but looking at the descriptions for the skills, it really does look like it'll allow people to tailor their build around specific playstyles. I.E. playing offensively or defensively, with heavy or light armor, etc..., independently of whether you prefer alchemy/signs/swords.

I don't remember who said it but I thought there was supposed to be a potion to make you forget skills.

Dark is pretty much the exact same as Hard in W2 plus you get great equipment that makes it easier.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

beer_war posted:

3rd part of Gopher's preview is up. His videos are so much more informative than all the other videos it's not even funny.

Being informative is hard. It's much easier to just cover half the video with your face blankly staring at something while you scream.

Watching the Gamespot video about killing people made me think of the horse. It has a fear level, but other than that it's just a reskinned motorcycle. When Geralt jumps off of the horse, the horse just stands there in the middle of the fight. It's surprising Shadow Of The Colossus is the only game with a horse that actually has a mind of it's own. The horse in that game will continue running after you jump off of it, and won't ram into trees or rocks while you're firing arrows.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't remember who said it but I thought there was supposed to be a potion to make you forget skills.

Dark is pretty much the exact same as Hard in W2 plus you get great equipment that makes it easier.

Yeah, after I asked the original question about this I noticed someone on Reddit translated a Polish Hands-On video that apparently says there is a potion that does that.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

beer_war posted:

I really like these just a quick question this ones about quests is it spoilery? or does he just talk about the game mechanics like he has previously?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

VoLaTiLe posted:

I really like these just a quick question this ones about quests is it spoilery? or does he just talk about the game mechanics like he has previously?

He talks a bit about quests in general without spoiling any one quest and makes a few very general, high-level comments about the main story. Says he hasn't seen enough of the game to spoil it even if he wanted to.

Unless you don't want to hear anything at all about those things, you'll be fine.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

black.lion posted:

Alright I'm gonna have faith! 'Bout to buy on Steam while it's 15% off...
Unless you absolutely need to have it on Steam, you can buy a GOG code for about $25 on ebay thanks to the current nvidia offer.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Yaos posted:

Watching the Gamespot video about killing people made me think of the horse. It has a fear level, but other than that it's just a reskinned motorcycle. When Geralt jumps off of the horse, the horse just stands there in the middle of the fight. It's surprising Shadow Of The Colossus is the only game with a horse that actually has a mind of it's own. The horse in that game will continue running after you jump off of it, and won't ram into trees or rocks while you're firing arrows.

At least one nice touch I saw in a cutscene in Gopher's video (entirely unrelated to the plot): Geralt slaps his horse so it runs off when he's about to fight a monster. So, they at least thought about it if it doesn't also run off during combat in-game. (It might also do that though? I thought I remembered it from somewhere.)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm 100% okay with your horse spawning right next to you each time you whistle after I played Two Worlds 1 and had to repeatedly search for my horse after a fight.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. Considering my #1 mod for skyrim adds a shout that calls my horse, very much welcome.

There's immersion, realism, and then just avoiding pointless drudgery.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Will the horses have realistic genitals though?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Archimago posted:

Will the horses have realistic genitals though?

That's a 15 dollar DLC or a 99 dollar mod.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
So does that "Gamepad Detected" thing pop up anytime you're using a controller but then use the mouse/keyboard to navigate menus and then go back to the controller? It pops up a lot in some of these videos. Like a distracting number of times.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Pseudo-real question: Will the game gently caress the loving gently caress up if I leave any "odd" controller plugged in? I haven't had my HOTAS or pedals plugged in for MONTHS because a disgustingly large majority of games gently caress up with them plugged in and disable movement or constantly pan the camera left or disable ALL CONTROLS BUT THE NOT-MAPPED HOTAS. I miss being able to just play flight sims on a whim because I could leave my poo poo plugged in...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Pseudo-real question: Will the game gently caress the loving gently caress up if I leave any "odd" controller plugged in? I haven't had my HOTAS or pedals plugged in for MONTHS because a disgustingly large majority of games gently caress up with them plugged in and disable movement or constantly pan the camera left or disable ALL CONTROLS BUT THE NOT-MAPPED HOTAS. I miss being able to just play flight sims on a whim because I could leave my poo poo plugged in...

Man, putting in a cable, all that work

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

GuyUpNorth posted:

Only thing I remember is that Triss was worried about her "assets" developing with mutagens. There might have been something about her magical talents, but it's been a while since I read those books.

She thought it likely it would complicate Ciri's entrance into puberty really badly.

I'm now certain I won't actually be able to play this game for ages so I'm going to be in this thread only to contradict minor errors in Witcher Lore.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The next generation of video game waifu has arrived :v:

And here I thought CD Projekt had the face game on lock with Witcher 2... :aaaaa:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I just hope Yennefer is as abrasive as she is in the early books.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

For games that mess up when I have my off-brand gameplay plugged in, I just disable it in the Windows device manager because I'm too lazy to pull it out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sharmat posted:

I just hope Yennefer is as abrasive as she is.

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm just saying I liked Last Wish Yennefer that was gonna enslave a hugely powerful genie to fix her broken eggs more than Blood of Elves Yennefer who was just incredibly passive aggressive. She kind of fluctuates.

• Locked thread