Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

"Realism" in mods is a buzzword. Just like lore-friendly.

Some top results for "immersive lore-friendly" on Google Images.

If you ever played Skyrim you'll know how those are definitely not either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Tsyni posted:

Great job at buying into gender stereotypes.

:saddowns: I was going for that old western feel of "somebody poisoned the cattle Maw!" but now I realise I am part of the problem. Also I just noticed that my "farmhands" (enemies I imprisoned and eventually convinced to join me) are literally picking cotton.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

People like it because they feel like totally safely sniping stuff from across the map is the only alternative to building flawless killboxes.

While this is sort of true there is plenty of room for improvisation. Doing this with a survival rifle is fun, especially if you are facing snipers, gotta use cover to get close then micromanage your dude so he can shoot them before they get their shot lined up, then get back out of sight, then booking it when half the camp comes after you with stone shivs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
No there's nothing particularly broken in vanilla combat, just with that Combat Realism mod the assault rifle has a range of 73 tiles, and the sniper rifle has a range of 107 - that is literally enough to hit raiders and siegers from the center of the map almost as soon as they spawn.

e: ahahaha I see he also made the heavy SMG super accurate out to all but long range, doubled its chance to hit at medium range

buffed the charge rifle tremendously too dang

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 30, 2015

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The only thing I like from it is that the author made internal organs much more likely to get damaged or destroyed instead of torsos just getting shredded with the gooey inside bits somehow miraculously remaining intact. I very rarely find the need to replace organs in vanilla, and end up with a whole pile of kidneys, lungs etc from prisoners I've carved up that are just easy silver instead of being vital for medical emergencies.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inacio posted:

I made a modpack.

Basically it's all the mods I think add to Rimworld without being silly and unfitting (zombies :downs:). I'd consider most of these essential, several recommended or useful and only a few are for flavor.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ltzkwfndklaxfpq/RimworldInacioPackv1.rar

Modlist:

Thanks a lot for this. I haven't played in quite a while and this may convince me to start up a new game.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks a lot for this. I haven't played in quite a while and this may convince me to start up a new game.

Seconded, this modpack owns.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Aw, thanks guys. :blush:

I've been meaning to do that for a while. If there's anything you guys think should change (add or remove) just let me know!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh god, Prepare Carefully is overwhelming. I just spent the past hour making my party.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hope you saved it

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Prepare Carefully is great but I feel it's a bit too cheat-y when you completely fine-tune your colonists. I mostly only use it to adjust the loadout and OCCASIONALLY shuffle one or two points around in a colonist. Most of the time it's just hitting the random button a few times to mix it up, adjusting starting supplies and away we go!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

I made a modpack.

Basically it's all the mods I think add to Rimworld without being silly and unfitting (zombies :downs:). I'd consider most of these essential, several recommended or useful and only a few are for flavor.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ltzkwfndklaxfpq/RimworldInacioPackv1.rar

Modlist:

Your modpack died :( Any way we could get an alternative download?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

Your modpack died :( Any way we could get an alternative download?

Odd, the link works for me!

Here's a MEGA link, should work: https://mega.co.nz/#!Gst2ACLR!wDoDqIatIVRmyy5es2QzbDpaC-XTMBSsBk43dQBRGGE

And here's Dropbox for good measure: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4861882/RimworldInacioPackv1.rar

marumaru fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 30, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Try Dropbox, Mediafire is garbage.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Inacio posted:

I made a modpack.

quote:

More Vanilla Turrets v1.6 (edit)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9521.0

What's the edit here? Is it the removal of the aforementioned OP mortar? Because if so, sign me the gently caress up, this looks like an A+ modpack

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Did Cramped Environment change? I have people in 3x11 bedrooms and they are still complaining.

Edit: I'm dumb, it's because I hadn't haulked the chunks out yet, so the walkable tiles were too low.

Edit: Actually, no, I seem to still be getting it.

Edit: Some have it, some don't, I'm so confused.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 30, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Spending time in a corner seems to provoke that, no matter how large the room. Don't put beds in corners. I think this has a radius of 2 tiles.

e: 3x11 rooms, welp

Iunno maybe it'd be ok in the middle of the room?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Konig posted:

What's the edit here? Is it the removal of the aforementioned OP mortar? Because if so, sign me the gently caress up, this looks like an A+ modpack

I rebalanced all the dumb as gently caress stuff, but I still don't think it's enough

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But Not Tonight posted:

Prepare Carefully is great but I feel it's a bit too cheat-y when you completely fine-tune your colonists. I mostly only use it to adjust the loadout and OCCASIONALLY shuffle one or two points around in a colonist. Most of the time it's just hitting the random button a few times to mix it up, adjusting starting supplies and away we go!

It would be a lot better if it had point costs for traits, because traits are some of the most powerful aspects of any colonist.

Sub Rosa posted:

Did Cramped Environment change? I have people in 3x11 bedrooms and they are still complaining.

Edit: I'm dumb, it's because I hadn't haulked the chunks out yet, so the walkable tiles were too low.

Edit: Actually, no, I seem to still be getting it.

Edit: Some have it, some don't, I'm so confused.

You'd be annoyed if I put your bedroom in a corridor, make rooms square-ish.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 30, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You'd be annoyed if I put your bedroom in a corridor, make rooms square-ish.
This doesn't actually provide any clarity in what the game is doing, but thanks anyway smartass.

E:

Flesh Forge posted:

e: 3x11 rooms, welp

Iunno maybe it'd be ok in the middle of the room?

That did the trick, thanks.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 30, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sub Rosa posted:

This doesn't actually provide any clarity in what the game is doing, but thanks anyway smartass.

The game is recording your colonists as being cramped because they're in a cramped space. Cramped, like real life, isn't a measure of the volume of a room, it's a measure of how much space they have.

A drainage tunnel may have a large volume, but it is still cramped. Like I said, make your rooms square, a 3x11 room is a corridor, it would be like living in a hallway.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sub Rosa posted:

It does though? I use 5x5 rooms and never have any issues even though that's less space overall than a 3x11. I don't know exactly how the game is crunching the numbers but give the guys normal shaped rooms and they'll be fine.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

It does though? I use 5x5 rooms and never have any issues

It doesn't, because everything I've ever read bases it clearance level. Spacious, the goal, is 26, which means you aren't hitting it with a 5x5. Most use a 4x7 or 5x6, but nothing I've read previously has made me rule out a 3x11.

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Thoughts_list#Spacious_interior

The wiki mentions nothing about a minimum width, just a maximum length of 11.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a bar on the needs page which shows how much space a colonist has at any given time, it decreases as your proximity to impassable objects increases.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The actual answer is that the clearance perspective zone doesn't have a large enough diameter to see the entire room when the bed is in the corner, which is why moving the bed to the middle of the room worked.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Yeah I think they look at their space in a smallish radius around them, they see a 3x11 as a 3x7 or whatever, it's not enough and they freak out. Shortsighted idiots, the perception of them not having a big enough bedroom can push them over the edge into full-on rampage.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Really the worst thing about the new difficulty system is the global -10 mood threshold for absolutely everyone, all the other aspects are not that big a deal. Basically any prisoners that have permanent mood negs/break threshold penalties need to be released/"have a tragic accident".

marumaru
May 20, 2013

If you're using my modpack, I've been testing the new mortar and jesus, it's still op. I changed it some more, let me know what you think: http://puu.sh/hwwwQ/a7a5ea4e26.rar

Put the ThingDefs folder inside \RimWorld725Win\Mods\More Vanilla Turrets\Defs

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is Superior Crafting any good?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's kind of its own thing, it makes some really dramatic changes to a lot of stuff (some good, some bad imo) and unfortunately is all packaged as a giant bundle rather than a la carte. A really good thing it does is slow down research dramatically. A not so great thing is good luck getting other mods that touch any of the 5,000 thigs SC changes to work with it.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So I am running alpha 10 with Inacio's mod pack and my roofs don't seem to auto generate over anything but the walls them self. Is a mod thing, a known bug, or am I just missing something?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hagop posted:

So I am running alpha 10 with Inacio's mod pack and my roofs don't seem to auto generate over anything but the walls them self. Is a mod thing, a known bug, or am I just missing something?

That's really weird, can you show a picture (and make sure its not a no-roof zone)?

They work fine for me

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Mister Bates posted:

Is Superior Crafting any good?

I thought it was very well made and expands on areas of the game that could seriously use some expanding upon, but it also makes the game trivially easy after you get past some initial hurdles. Being able to churn out your own guns, power armor, organs and bionic implants removes a lot of risk from combat. You basically bypass that phase where you're getting along by the skin of your teeth waiting for the next exotic goods or combat trader to fly by and hopefully have the things you need. Instead, you go straight to the end of the game where nothing poses much threat and you can either build the spaceship or it back and watch enemies dash themselves against your defenses.

E: it also messes with the wares lists for traders to the point where you can't rely on them for anything, save for bulk goods. You really have to go all-in with producing everything yourself

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 1, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah that's a problem with mods that allow weapon/armor crafting in general. I feel like this mod collection does a better job in that department:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7179.0

Each of these items is packaged separately, so (e.g.) if you just want weapon crafting and don't want MIRV artillery (lol) then you just don't install that mod. It also leaves all the stats for vanilla items alone, and the costs of producing all these things is fairly well thought out in terms of balance. You can't just land, research 1 thing and instantly have all the legendary miniguns you want.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inacio posted:

That's really weird, can you show a picture (and make sure its not a no-roof zone)?

They work fine for me

I was using your mod pack last night and didn't have an issue with roofs.

Thanks for updating the turrets. Haven't gotten that far yet but I appreciate things not being too overpowered.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Spakstik posted:

I thought it was very well made and expands on areas of the game that could seriously use some expanding upon, but it also makes the game trivially easy after you get past some initial hurdles. Being able to churn out your own guns, power armor, organs and bionic implants removes a lot of risk from combat. You basically bypass that phase where you're getting along by the skin of your teeth waiting for the next exotic goods or combat trader to fly by and hopefully have the things you need. Instead, you go straight to the end of the game where nothing poses much threat and you can either build the spaceship or it back and watch enemies dash themselves against your defenses.

I like this, though, since it gives a good sense of progression from just starting out to actually having something resembling a fully-functional settlement; I like the old Minami mod for much the same reason. Also, unlike some mods, the costs for making weapons, armour, and bionics are fairly high (they should probably be a bit higher), and there's also the matter of ore needing to be smelted into steel and plasteel first, which helps to keep you in check a bit. Of course, once you've got a large enough production base it's not so much of an issue, but I think that's a reasonable reward if you make it that far.

I do think, however, that if you play with mods that add craftable bionics, superior weapons etc, then really you should play on the highest difficulty setting.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Inacio posted:

They work fine for me

If I add a no roof zone and then remove it this is the roof that pops back up.

Under the roofed sections are wood walls.

Before and after the no roof zoning/unzoning, the area counts as outside(rain, mood, can't be set as prison). This happens for any building I make, and starting a new colony doesn't help.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hagop posted:

If I add a no roof zone and then remove it this is the roof that pops back up.

Under the roofed sections are wood walls.

Before and after the no roof zoning/unzoning, the area counts as outside(rain, mood, can't be set as prison). This happens for any building I make, and starting a new colony doesn't help.

Did you generate a new world after installing the modpack? I vaguely remember something about the fast floors mod doing that.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Tommofork posted:

Did you generate a new world after installing the modpack? I vaguely remember something about the fast floors mod doing that.
That seem to have been the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Wow, you weren't kidding about the ending being pretty poo poo. It's obviously a placeholder though, so I'm fine with it for now. Only had enough room for 10 colonists, so the three most recent additions get to stay on this rock. This is Sorton when I left it;

Thirteen colonists, Eli, Laura and Jennifer were my original trio. The colourful building in the north is the main homestead for those three, and everyone else got stuck in the barracks near the firing range in the southeast. The two outer green zones are a dumping zone and a goblinite zone, and the large square buildings are my food and materials stockpiles. I have two fields each of cotton, corn and potatoes. My power grid and batteries are split in two, with one dedicated solely to the killbox in the south, though can easily be hooked back up into one big one should the need arise. The homestead was nice, with a proper kitchen, dining room, living room (I need to install the Clutter mod for this to really work), fridge and medicine cabinet off the hospital area. There's also an entirely steel prison in the northwest, just because I liked the aesthetic. The whole place is surrounded by granite block walls for fireproofing, and the surrounding hills have been mined out leaving supports, and any that didn't intersect with the bridge had a ramshackle corridor built to it to prevent surprise attacks (see southeast wall).

Also there's my ramshackle ship in the southwest, Tynan's really gotta reimagine the whole "ship" thing. Maybe a special spaceworthy wall/floor type and airlock doors that require a lot of plasteel and steel, and anything properly enclosed would be included in the ship, as long as all of the "rooms" were continuous? It would allow building a more space-ship-looking ship. Right now it looks like a cannon or something.