Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
No one is saying unify types. Keep the lists of types separate and explicit. Just allow creature types on non creature spells occasionally. We had this discussion last month and the best Digges was able to say was, "yeah we could do it, but it would be kind of annoying sometimes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Just allow creature types on non creature spells occasionally.

So, Tribal then. That is literally what the Tribal type was created to do. It wasn't well-received, so we aren't very likely to see it again, but that's what Tribal is.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

vOv posted:

Imagecrafter can turn dudes into Auras, which may or may not wind up killing them depending on how you rewrite the Aura rules. Changelings can be targeted by abilities that say 'target Plains/Island/Swamp/Mountain/Forest'.

Chained to the Rocks would be kind of funny; I, for one, enjoy the amusing imagery evoked of Emrakul chained up to a Mothdust Changeling.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
No, just do it. No additional types or supertypes.

Hordeling Outburst - Goblin Sorcery

And the reason they stopped doing it is not because it wasn't well received. It's because they were unhappy they had to put tribal in front every time, which is dumb and confusing, and also because of consistency issues. Every spell from then on and maybe a big errata backwards too would need to be evaluated on whether it should get a creature type hitched on to it.

What's the test for that? What threshold? Most token generators would work but it's kind of a mess.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

No, just do it. No additional types or supertypes.

Hordeling Outburst - Goblin Sorcery

And the reason they stopped doing it is not because it wasn't well received. It's because they were unhappy they had to put tribal in front every time, which is dumb and confusing, and also because of consistency issues. Every spell from then on and maybe a big errata backwards too would need to be evaluated on whether it should get a creature type hitched on to it.

What's the test for that? What threshold? Most token generators would work but it's kind of a mess.

Because card types have certain subtypes. Because "Counter target Arcane spell" could counter a Changeling by the same metric. Because a fetchland could put Crib Swap onto the battlefield. Tribal IS consistent, that was the test and threshold. It's a type created to do the one thing you want to do, with only minor differences other than, indeed, the thing in question (Goyf being the only major one that comes to mind).

If they were to do a massive backwards errata, just let them fix spells and planeswalkers.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tribal's real crime is that they've stopped writing "Elves you control get +1/+1" in favor of the clunkier "Elf creatures you control get +1/+1".

Is that even necessary? Would anything actually suffer if a card tried to give Bitterblossom +1/+1 or vigilance?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Serperoth posted:

Because card types have certain subtypes. Because "Counter target Arcane spell" could counter a Changeling by the same metric. Because a fetchland could put Crib Swap onto the battlefield. Tribal IS consistent, that was the test and threshold. It's a type created to do the one thing you want to do, with only minor differences other than, indeed, the thing in question (Goyf being the only major one that comes to mind).

If they were to do a massive backwards errata, just let them fix spells and planeswalkers.

Again, no. You're not combining lists. Changeling cards would only have creature subtypes. Arcane is not a creature type. Forest is not a creature type.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Remind me what we gain again from unifying types? Like we just spelled out a whole lot of things we lose, but I'm not sure what we're gaining here?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Tribal's real crime is that they've stopped writing "Elves you control get +1/+1" in favor of the clunkier "Elf creatures you control get +1/+1".

Is that even necessary? Would anything actually suffer if a card tried to give Bitterblossom +1/+1 or vigilance?

Doesn't it sill work if you have Opalescence?

Sigma-X posted:

Remind me what we gain again from unifying types? Like we just spelled out a whole lot of things we lose, but I'm not sure what we're gaining here?

Literally the exact same thing we have now, except the cards don't have to have the apparently unspeakable Tribal card type.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Reduced entropy

I guess that's technically not a gain.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Literally the exact same thing we have now, except the cards don't have to have the apparently unspeakable Tribal card type.

Okay so no gains other than removing tribal as a type which has no gameplay effect other than boosting tarmogoyf by +1/+1 but we also add a bunch of confusion by removing the implicit subtype-implies-type.

I'm assuming everyone in favor of unifying types also things combat damage should go on the stack again?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Again, no. You're not combining lists. Changeling cards would only have creature subtypes. Arcane is not a creature type. Forest is not a creature type.

You're describing a huge mess. "Oh yeah, Sorceries can be Goblins, but you can't have Arcane creatures, becauseeeeeeee THAT'S HOW IT IS." Yes, you get one more word on the card, but what you're suggesting would be terribly inconsistent.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Angry Grimace posted:

As far as I know, the only effect that using the "Elf creatures" templating instead of the "Elves" templating has on gameplay is that if you cast "Faeries you control get +1/+1 until end of turn" and then cast Opalescence, Bitterblossom is a 2/2 under the former and a 3/3 (until end of turn) under the latter.

It's not clear to me why one is so preferable to the other that it was worth errataing a dozen years' of cards and saddling every tribal-related card with more verbose wording that never ever matters. I think the reason they changed it was that the rules manager was existentially terrified of the idea of an enchantment having vigilance.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

As far as I know, the only effect that using the "Elf creatures" templating instead of the "Elves" templating has on gameplay is that if you cast "Faeries you control get +1/+1 until end of turn" and then cast Opalescence, Bitterblossom is a 2/2 under the former and a 3/3 (until end of turn) under the latter.

It's not clear to me why one is so preferable to the other that it was worth errataing a dozen years' of cards and saddling every tribal-related card with more verbose wording that never ever matters. I think the reason they changed it was that the rules manager was existentially terrified of the idea of an enchantment having vigilance.

Which is totally weird since Scion of Oona does in fact give Bitterblossom Shroud and, now that I think about, also gives Bitterblossom +1/+1.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's generally poor design to reference things like this. If you put an ability on a card you should make an effort to make that ability actually have some function, because if it literally has no function it creates a source of confusion.

Angry Grimace posted:

Which is totally weird since Scion of Oona does in fact give Bitterblossom Shroud and, now that I think about, also gives Bitterblossom +1/+1.

It doesn't. It has 2 separate abilities, +1/+1 only applies to creatures.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Serperoth posted:

You're describing a huge mess. "Oh yeah, Sorceries can be Goblins, but you can't have Arcane creatures, becauseeeeeeee THAT'S HOW IT IS." Yes, you get one more word on the card, but what you're suggesting would be terribly inconsistent.

How is it a mess? It's exactly like today except creature subtypes can go on all card types? You can't have arcane creatures because arcane is not a creature type. That's true today and no one complains. Maybe it will be more clear if I state it from the top.

You have types and certain types have subtypes. (Like we do today)
<Enumerate Lists of subtypes> (Like we do today)
Enumerate which subtypes go with which types. The same as today except creature subtypes go with all types rather than creature plus tribal.
That's it?

Sure maybe it should be Sorcery Goblin to preserve subtypes coming after types on cards but w/e.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

It's generally poor design to reference things like this. If you put an ability on a card you should make an effort to make that ability actually have some function, because if it literally has no function it creates a source of confusion.

It doesn't. It has 2 separate abilities, +1/+1 only applies to creatures.

Oops, you're right. But that's totally weird, right? Would it break the game if Bitterblossom got +1/+1?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

Oops, you're right. But that's totally weird, right? Would it break the game if Bitterblossom got +1/+1?

It would cause feel-bads for opponents of my Bitterblossom Opalescence EDH deck.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You could just put reminder text on it like (Goblin is a creature subtype. Goblin is not a sorcery subtype) idk

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 30, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Starving Autist posted:

It would cause feel-bads for opponents of my Bitterblossom Opalescence EDH deck.

The question then is whether Bitterblossom animated by Opalescence gains the bonus from Scion. I actually don't know. I assume there's rules-gibberish that the Tribal type and the creature type are separate or something, but Tribal types are all creature types, so :psyduck:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

It would not, but at the same time it creates a source of confusion. It would be ambiguous to players who did not have it explicitly explained if the Bitterblossom suddenly becomes a 1/1 creature or just stays an enchantment where +1/+1 has no effect at all.

Like, Raging Ravine and Llanowar Reborn are already sources of confusion, and those cards explicitly give a reason as to why you'd want +1/+1 counters on them. Only giving creature abilities and +x/+x effects is not a functional thing, but it makes the effects of the card clearer. It's similar to why all creatures that give abilities to creatures now have that ability themselves and give all other creatures the ability, like Dragonlord Kolaghan. While it would save space to just say "Creatures you control have haste," the wording they use is clearer and a lot harder to get wrong.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Also I think MaRo's current line on the issue is that people would look at Form of the Dragon and be like "why the heck isn't this a Dragon" and the benefits of a Grand Subtype Update aren't worth the confusion

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ultima66 posted:

It would not, but at the same time it creates a source of confusion. It would be ambiguous to players who did not have it explicitly explained if the Bitterblossom suddenly becomes a 1/1 creature or just stays an enchantment where +1/+1 has no effect at all.

This seems really simple to solve, even by new player standards. Just add italics or rules text saying (Only creatures have power and toughness.) to entry level products for a while & update the comp rules to mention such.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Also I think MaRo's current line on the issue is that people would look at Form of the Dragon and be like "why the heck isn't this a Dragon" and the benefits of a Grand Subtype Update aren't worth the confusion

Form of the Dragon isn't a Dragon because you become a Dragon on resolution!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Fun fact, you can solve roughly 87% of rules questions by banning Opalescence.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

This is definitely one of the concerns. No matter which way we go, some old cards will be anomalies. Either people will wonder why Goblin Offensive isn't a Goblin or think that Bitterblossom is kind of weird. Letting only a small handful of Lorwyn cards and like 1 card from Rise of the Eldrazi be anomalies minimizes the number of them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Tribal is one of those things where if it had been designed into the game from the beginning it would be cool and good, but trying to shoehorn it in 15 years into the game ended up being awkward.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Niton posted:

This seems really simple to solve, even by new player standards. Just add italics or rules text saying (Only creatures have power and toughness.) to entry level products for a while & update the comp rules to mention such.

This literally adds even more ugly words to cards, and the entire reason people don't like how it is right now is because of the addition of 1 ugly word to cards.

I mean this poo poo is the reason people are notoriously bad designers. Letting +1/+1 lords affect tribal enchantments is like allowing Lightning Bolt to target any permanent. It functionally does almost nothing and serves only to confuse new players. The only reason people like it is because people think it's "cute" that you have to stop and think for a moment to realize it does nothing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

According to MTGO, the answer is yes, a Tribal Enchantment animated by Opalescence does in fact gain the Tribal type as its creature type:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I guarantee you that at least one person would think that it would turn a Tribal Artifact - Elf into a 1/1 vigilance.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I wasn't sure where the right place to post this is, so I thought I would ask you guys. I have one of those giant Magic cards (like the ones they show off at conventions to announce new cards), but I also have mounting wedding expenses and I feel it may be time to part with it. How much do you think I should ask for it? The card is Elemental Mastery, if that makes a difference.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I got married last week and have since convinced my wife to start playing Magic, so do that instead.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

fruitpunch posted:

I got married last week and have since convinced my wife to start playing Magic, so do that instead.

My fiancé and I both play already, we have matching mana symbol tattoos :3
But it's not like I can actually play with this giant rear end card.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I just found this thread. I've been playing magic since I was 8 years old. (Ice age) I took about 6 years off and just got back into things about a month ago. I've focused mostly on commander since getting back into it. I'm trying to teach my fiance but so far no luck. Any advice for teaching a total newbie? For me its all second nature and I'm not a very patient teacher unfortunately

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

anotherblownsave posted:

I just found this thread. I've been playing magic since I was 8 years old. (Ice age) I took about 6 years off and just got back into things about a month ago. I've focused mostly on commander since getting back into it. I'm trying to teach my fiance but so far no luck. Any advice for teaching a total newbie? For me its all second nature and I'm not a very patient teacher unfortunately

Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013. There are newer versions but they're garbage.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Here's my buddy's ahh, 'tournament report' you could call it, from the pro tour. It's different and I think it says a lot about our community:

http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-pt-sucks

e: turns out Speck cheated in for funsies drafts too. Another friend of mine got t1'ed against him back at GP Vancouver...

uruloki
Jan 8, 2007

SHIT YEAH, REQUISITION ME SOME OF THAT SHIT, BITCH

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Here's my buddy's ahh, 'tournament report' you could call it, from the pro tour. It's different and I think it says a lot about our community:

e: turns out Speck cheated in for funsies drafts too. Another friend of mine got t1'ed against him back at GP Vancouver...

We have found the Ur-Goon. There is almost nothing redeeming about that article, the amount of self-loathing is a critical mass of wtf.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

point me to the parts of that wall of text that are funny or good, tia

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Its not trying to be funny it's trying to be insightful and thought provoking.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It's definitely nice to hear a different perspective on the PT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Its not trying to be funny it's trying to be insightful and thought provoking.

It's a wall of depression and words someone in a college english class would pepper their essays with to seem profound.

• Locked thread