Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i couldn't quit my day job

:qqsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't think Gopher's mod spotlight videos or guides are bad, so I'm kinda curious about the negativity. Is it just because he has an annoying voice? I did try watching a live stream of him trying poo poo out in PerMa and it was infuriating. The one episode of an LP of his I tried to watch also sucked.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
id rather listen to the avgn saying shitload of gently caress in my ears for 24 hours than watch a two minute totalbiscuit video.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

I don't think Gopher's mod spotlight videos or guides are bad, so I'm kinda curious about the negativity. Is it just because he has an annoying voice? I did try watching a live stream of him trying poo poo out in PerMa and it was infuriating. The one episode of an LP of his I tried to watch also sucked.

Gopher has a fairly pleasant voice and he makes very pretty videos,

HOWEVER

everything he tries to communicate can, no lie, be said in at least a 10x shorter timeframe. I'm convinced he is either madly, deeply in love with the sound of his own voice or suffers from some kind of mental issue. But it's still better than Totalbiscuit whom suffers from all those things and in addition is 100% unlikable.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Dongattack posted:

HOWEVER

everything he tries to communicate can, no lie, be said in at least a 10x shorter timeframe. I'm convinced he is either madly, deeply in love with the sound of his own voice or suffers from some kind of mental issue. But it's still better than Totalbiscuit whom suffers from all those things and in addition is 100% unlikable.

Yea his voice is mildly annoying but do-able, but he spends an insufferable amount of time explaining how to loving right click in windows in the year of our lord 2015.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dongattack posted:

HOWEVER

You know this makes a certain amount of sense, given that a few weeks ago his Skyrim mod showcase episode was a Top 10 list of his own Skyrim mod showcase episodes :psyduck:

Yeah he does take way too long to explain things, though. I don't actually think his voice is annoying but I saw some folks complaining about his accent before (which is apparently a really ridiculous exaggeration of any actual British accent or something?).

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is there a word for watching something because you enjoy hating it? Because that's why i watch TotalBiscuit videos.

EDIT:I think i hate Gopher's voice because he reminds me of thunderf00t.

CJ fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 30, 2015

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

CJ posted:

Is there a word for watching something because you enjoy hating it? Because that's why i watch TotalBiscuit videos.

Please watch that one and tell us about it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Keiya posted:

So, okay. I've been playing for 38 hours now, I probably should stop until I get the fix-mods in.

Let me double-check that I have the procedure correct:

1. Back up my saves
  2. Download and install Mod Organizer to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim
  3. Download and install SKSE to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim

Consider moving the entire Steam directory to C:\Steam.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
"Sweat of your brow" *turns up the AC while feverishly modding*

Some of the language used during this nonsense is loving incredible.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Malek posted:

Unless I grossly missed something, this guy seems the most sane of all the modders I've seen thus far.

That kind of reaction is exactly what I was talking about in my last post. He modded for reasons that were not money, but now that money has entered the picture he doesn't want to mod anymore if he's not getting paid enough. He retroactively justifies it with shock at how disgusting the gaming community can be, but that's not remotely a new thing. It's been pretty intolerable for awhile now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Alasyre posted:

"Sweat of your brow" *turns up the AC while feverishly modding*

Some of the language used during this nonsense is loving incredible.

Quit going Baltimore on this thread, yo.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Dongattack posted:

HOWEVER

I don't know about his other stuff and he can be long winded but his videos on using Mod Organizer really helped when I was trying to figure it out. They seem to be more for complete beginners, think of them as Dummies Guide to modding type.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Chesko's google site for his survival mods is back up (previously it only had stuff for Campfire) and it lists Frostfall 3.0 and Last Seed for "Q3 2015" and his fishing mod to be posted on Nexus May 6th.

It's good to see him coming back, tbh.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Chesko's google site for his survival mods is back up (previously it only had stuff for Campfire) and it lists Frostfall 3.0 and Last Seed for "Q3 2015" and his fishing mod to be posted on Nexus May 6th.

It's good to see him coming back, tbh.

Yeah, I actually liked his response to all this and his plans for his paid mods. I'll actually run Frostfall again if it's as fast as he says it is.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GunnerJ posted:

Quit going Baltimore on this thread, yo.

What?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Dongattack posted:

Please watch that one and tell us about it.

Ok i listened to it while messing about in GTA.

TL;DR

- The way Valve went about introducing the system was stupid and they were idiots if they thought it would get anything but a negative reaction by doing it the way it did.
- That said they think a lot of the outrage over it is just reactionary from people are aren't really members of the modding community.
- It's disappointing that Valve and Bethesda pulled it so fast before seeing how it turned out because it just caused a lot of disruption to the modding community and they didn't get any useful data out of it with respect to whether people were actually willing to pay for mods.
- The system needs to be curated to protect consumers from poo poo or malicious mods, you shouldn't be able to sell your mod if you don't know what you're doing and end up deleting essential NPCs from users or even worse if someone intentionally sabotages peoples games doing this.
- They're disgusted by people who contribute nothing beyond silently downloading mods thinking they deserve free mods from authors and attack mod authors who have put hundreds of hours into making mods for people or providing tech support despite not even bothering to leave a rating or a "I like your mod" comment.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

some of the paid modders were comparing this whole thing to the riots in baltimore.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

some of the paid modders were comparing this whole thing to the riots in baltimore.

Let's not paint with too broad a brush, as far as I know only Arthmoor said that the modding community had "gone Baltimore on itself."

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So I'm trying to merge some plugins from Expanded Towns and Cities, as I have way too many of them lying around (30, Jesus Christ). I've been trying to follow this guide, but it's for an outdated version of Merge Plugins xEdit Script, and I'm not sure which steps are still necessary.

I've followed the steps as best I could, but I'm currently stuck at the part where I'm supposed to use the Creation Kit. When I first tried opening the merged file I made, I got the error message "Multiple master files selected for load. Load operation aborted.", and it wouldn't let me continue. I fixed that by following the steps shown here and here, but now I'm getting the error "QUESTS: Could not find previous info (02036A5F) for TopicInfo (0203606) in Topic "" (02017E6A)."

I searched around to see if anyone else had a similar error, and apparently it and all the error messages following it are just false positives that I should ignore, but I don't feel all that confident about doing so. Should I?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Roobanguy posted:

oh, lol

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Seriously, there are a lot of error messages popping up.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

CJ posted:

Ok i listened to it while messing about in GTA.

TL;DR

- The way Valve went about introducing the system was stupid and they were idiots if they thought it would get anything but a negative reaction by doing it the way it did.
- That said they think a lot of the outrage over it is just reactionary from people are aren't really members of the modding community.
- It's disappointing that Valve and Bethesda pulled it so fast before seeing how it turned out because it just caused a lot of disruption to the modding community and they didn't get any useful data out of it with respect to whether people were actually willing to pay for mods.
- The system needs to be curated to protect consumers from poo poo or malicious mods, you shouldn't be able to sell your mod if you don't know what you're doing and end up deleting essential NPCs from users or even worse if someone intentionally sabotages peoples games doing this.
- They're disgusted by people who contribute nothing beyond silently downloading mods thinking they deserve free mods from authors and attack mod authors who have put hundreds of hours into making mods for people or providing tech support despite not even bothering to leave a rating or a "I like your mod" comment.

I don't know what they expected. I mean most people just download a mod and don't give a gently caress about the author or whatever. Most people just want free mods to be frank and don't care about the "modding community".

ToxicAcne fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 1, 2015

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

ToxicAcne posted:

I don't know what they expected. I mean most people just download a mod and don't give a gently caress about the author or whatever. Most people just want free mods to be frank don't care about the "modding community".

bastards!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

Seriously, there are a lot of error messages popping up.

When poo poo happens on this scale and Google is no help, starting from scratch is the only thing I can think to do.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ToxicAcne posted:

I don't know what they expected. I mean most people just download a mod and don't give a gently caress about the author or whatever. Most people just want free mods to be frank don't care about the "modding community".

This problem can be solved by popups every 5 minutes or so that remind you to check out the modder and donate/like/subscribe to their youtube channel.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Holy poo poo why isn't that SKSE memory fix thing from the OP enabled by default?

I couldn't find a solution to my infinite loading screens the first time so I just reverted to an older save, but a few hours later it started happening again. I was ready to start tearing my hair out until I remembered I hadn't checked this thread.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

When poo poo happens on this scale and Google is no help, starting from scratch is the only thing I can think to do.

Yeah, I kinda assumed that would be the case, it got to the point where clicking through all of them became a hassle.

I should be launching the Creation Kit via MO, right? I assume it wouldn't be able to see the plugins otherwise.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

I should be launching the Creation Kit via MO, right? I assume it wouldn't be able to see the plugins otherwise.

Correct.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Ok, I am happy with my landscapes. NPCs, creatures and indoors are another matter.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seeing those shots of water reminded me that water looks like rear end in my game. I could use a lightweight water improvement if such a thing exists. My computer can't really handle much in the way of graphics and textures, so I'm OK with assy water if it doesn't.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I use Realistic Water 2 and don't notice a performance hit from it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there any sort of beginner's guide to making mods for Oblivion that you guys could recommend? I've been looking for a mod that does what I want, but nothing really seems to really accomplish it so I'm thinking of just putting one together myself.

I can't imagine it being too difficult since all I want to do is change the price of various clutter items (silverware, crystal balls, etc) to make thieving more profitable in general and tweak the thieves guild fences' available gold and mercantile skills so that the higher level fences you unlock aren't objectively inferior to the lowest level fence.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

GunnerJ posted:

I use Realistic Water 2 and don't notice a performance hit from it.

Cool, I'll try that out.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThaumPenguin posted:

So I'm trying to merge some plugins from Expanded Towns and Cities, as I have way too many of them lying around (30, Jesus Christ). I've been trying to follow this guide, but it's for an outdated version of Merge Plugins xEdit Script, and I'm not sure which steps are still necessary.

I've followed the steps as best I could, but I'm currently stuck at the part where I'm supposed to use the Creation Kit. When I first tried opening the merged file I made, I got the error message "Multiple master files selected for load. Load operation aborted.", and it wouldn't let me continue. I fixed that by following the steps shown here and here, but now I'm getting the error "QUESTS: Could not find previous info (02036A5F) for TopicInfo (0203606) in Topic "" (02017E6A)."

I searched around to see if anyone else had a similar error, and apparently it and all the error messages following it are just false positives that I should ignore, but I don't feel all that confident about doing so. Should I?

Don't merge all the plugins, by the way. Make sure you have the latest copy of the script and the PROGRAM both. Load all the plugins. Select all of them except for the base plugin. Right click, run script, pick the merge script. It should just work from there. But with that mod, you'll have problems merging them all into the base.

I don't know why it tells you to use the creation kit? I never use it. It should work fine from that. Save the ESP, load it up again and then check for errors, if you like.

The creation kit can't load plugins with more than one master out of the box. There's some way to fix it, but I haven't really needed the CK enough to use it.

EDIT: Program, not problem, jfc.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 1, 2015

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I have over 200 mods. I think it's time that I make a new character, and start completely from scratch. I'll miss my old Paladin of Arkay, but she's been more than good to me, it's time she settled down.

I'm thinking that I'll pair Morrowloot up with SPERG and the difficulty mods Archonex was talking about in the Awesome/Awful Mods thread:

Archonex posted:

It's a mix of a poo poo ton of mods that i've managed to get to work together. Along with a bunch of immersion stuff. I can post a list here once I get it set up again. I spent like half a year slowly tinkering on my mod collection on and off to get it right only for my power supply to crap the bed a month after I got it done. Worst part is that some of the necessary mods aren't hosted directly on the Nexus but instead in weird compilation mod packs the author hosts on their own website. So it was a bitch to find the updated versions once they pulled them off the Nexus. :argh:

It certainly makes for an entertaining play though. Bandit camps and forts are proper camps now. They go on patrols, ambush the new travelers that spawn in, and generally are douchebags. Except there's a lot of them in the camps. So it pays to not just run in, lest you get mobbed by like 30 NPC's that will surround you and hack you apart. I had fun just dismantling this one fort over the course of the day with a wood elf by sniping bandits on the walls and then eventually ambushing the patrols they'd send out.

Dungeons are terrifying too. I rolled ASIS's increased spawns into my mod order. So now the Falmer and bugs come scuttling out of the walls like i'm in some sort of high fantasy Aliens knockoff.

Because that sounds pretty fun. calusari, what graphical mods do you use?

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Levantine posted:

Based on that reference, I'm sure you can find the female model no problem.

Yeah I'm looking for Aztec style armor though with feathered helmets and such. I kinda got interested in that look since seeing Kotal Kahn. It seems to be rare though.

Metalocalypse
Jul 29, 2006
If you like mods made by kryptopyr, I'd highly suggest you download and back up everything now. Seems she's having some issues with nexus mod creators and wishes to leave the :nexus: .

Mods such as:

Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade
Clothing and Clutter Fixes
Timing is Everything - Quest Delay and Timing Control
Trade and Barter
Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade
The Choice is Yours - Fewer Forced Quests - Improved Dialogue Options
Thieves Guild Requirements - No Auto Quest Start Brynjolf
..... and so on.

http://forum.step-project.com/topic/7801-alternative-mod-hosting/#entry124035

Metalocalypse fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 1, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Metalocalypse posted:

If you like mods made by kryptopyr, I'd highly suggest you download and back up everything now. Seems she's having some issues with nexus mod creators and wishes to leave the :nexus: .

Mods such as:

Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade
Clothing and Clutter Fixes
Timing is Everything - Quest Delay and Timing Control
Trade and Barter
Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade
The Choice is Yours - Fewer Forced Quests - Improved Dialogue Options
Thieves Guild Requirements - No Auto Quest Start Brynjolf
..... and so on.

http://forum.step-project.com/topic/7801-alternative-mod-hosting/#entry124035

Several of those are practically mandatory mods so yeah. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for nexus and we're about to enter an exciting new era wherein we pretty much have to sort out our mods for ourselves because they'll be coming from numerous different sources that no one manager can easily handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

thanks modbama

• Locked thread