Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also did you know that all Smash Bros. animations are done via motion capture, just like Mortal Kombat? Strange but true.

I heard the main reason for the long development cycle was that they had to cultivate a real life friendship between a duck and a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reiley posted:

I'll say a prayer to God for the Roy mains out there.

God is dead. And Ike killed her.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

After much consideration and soul searching I voted for Jeff Andonuts.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bowser with the Dashing Koopa Claw custom is incredible. The move has zero landing lag so you can use it in the air then immediately use it again when you land to cover insane distances. Other things you can do with it after landing:

-Use it again in the opposite direction to get away.
-Use a forward smash sliding dropkick with insane range.
-Blow past them in the air if they shield, then forward smash in the opposite direction to either hit them or break their shield if it's still up.
-Sliding down smashes.
-Instantly catch them with a Bowser Bomb.

and basically anything else.

I think Bowser is one of my favorite characters now using this move. It completely changes the way you play him.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 29, 2015

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

God is dead. And Ike killed her.

Ike is just a baby compared to her

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

Ike is just a baby compared to her

It's canonical that Ike slayed a goddess.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mabels big day posted:

It's canonical that Ike slayed a goddess.
Only because she didn't have her customs.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Mewtennis Mod has been added to the eshop. Get it while you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cbp7IEzB0k

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Evil Eagle posted:

The Mewtennis Mod has been added to the eshop. Get it while you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cbp7IEzB0k

Oh my god, I'm gonna download this right now along with a better version of Super Smash Sports. :allears:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Mewtwo tennis is stupid because, like all reflecting moves, Confusion has a damage threshold that when surpassed means the attack will keep on trucking and wreck your poo poo. If you watch pretty much any of these videos you can see the fully charged shadow ball get hit back exactly 3 times before Confusion can't take it anymore and the other guy eats it, every single time. It's beyond dumb to try and build a game around a fixed outcome, you might as well watch paint dry.

So why is it so popular? Get out of the replays, everyone's seen it already :argh:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cicadas! posted:

Mewtwo tennis is stupid because, like all reflecting moves, Confusion has a damage threshold that when surpassed means the attack will keep on trucking and wreck your poo poo. If you watch pretty much any of these videos you can see the fully charged shadow ball get hit back exactly 3 times before Confusion can't take it anymore and the other guy eats it, every single time. It's beyond dumb to try and build a game around a fixed outcome, you might as well watch paint dry.

So why is it so popular? Get out of the replays, everyone's seen it already :argh:

If you don't fully charge it though...

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
A new mode that would take very little time to develop would be letting players choose 3 different characters per match to play as with a single stock per character. So, for example, during the character select portion, you could choose Link, then Zelda, then Ganon. The match starts and you play as Link for the first stock. When he gets KO'd, you spawn as Zelda. She gets KO'd, you get the idea...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dodgeball posted:

A new mode that would take very little time to develop would be letting players choose 3 different characters per match to play as with a single stock per character. So, for example, during the character select portion, you could choose Link, then Zelda, then Ganon. The match starts and you play as Link for the first stock. When he gets KO'd, you spawn as Zelda. She gets KO'd, you get the idea...

You're right, I do get the idea, as it already exist in Project: M 3.5 for the Nintendo Wii and PC consoles. :trollmeme:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Serious question, is there any reason to get into Project: M if you own and are happy with SSB4? I'm drawn to the endless character mods more than anything and didn't really get butthurt over Brawl's game pace.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cuckoo posted:

Serious question, is there any reason to get into Project: M if you own and are happy with SSB4? I'm drawn to the endless character mods more than anything and didn't really get butthurt over Brawl's game pace.
Nope.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Noted, thanks.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Chimera-gui posted:

My feeling is that if you absolutely have to bring Roy back, the best way to do it is as what Lucina was intended to be: a reskin with unique voice clips.

They could design Roy so he remains a clone of Melee Marth instead of Sm4sh Marth, similar to Dr. Mario. I don't know what the differences would be beyond Flare Blade being an overhead swing instead of a stab, though. Maybe also have Melee Marth's Mr. Fantasic-esque grab length.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cuckoo posted:

It's possible to enjoy two similar but different things.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Countblanc posted:

It's possible to enjoy two similar but different things.

I think what he is asking is: are they different enough for it to matter?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

I think what he is asking is: are they different enough for it to matter?

Some characters, like Lucario, are very different, and theres lots of fanservice stuff, but if you are satisfied with the way Brawl/4U plays, you probably wont get much out of it. Until they release Lyn and Knuckles and Smash 64 mode and stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I guess it depends on what you enjoy about Smash Bros. If your favorite thing is the character variety then no probably not unless you just really loving love Roy (and maybe Knuckles in the future) for whatever reason. Mechanically they're quite different though, you really can't play them that similarly and some characters might be more fun in one version than another, for example P:M Wario and Bowser are probably my favorite Smash character designs ever, but I really like Mario in Smash 4.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Countblanc posted:

You're right, I do get the idea, as it already exist in Project: M 3.5 for the Nintendo Wii and PC consoles. :trollmeme:

:jerkbag:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dodgeball don't be rude in the Smash thread, please. This is a place of honor and respect.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Seriously, this blatant BMing has got to stop.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Complexcalibur posted:

They could design Roy so he remains a clone of Melee Marth instead of Sm4sh Marth, similar to Dr. Mario. I don't know what the differences would be beyond Flare Blade being an overhead swing instead of a stab, though. Maybe also have Melee Marth's Mr. Fantasic-esque grab length.

Dr. Mario is not the best example to use for your idea since there are folks of the opinion that he, Lucina, and Dark Pit should have stayed re-skins of Mario, Marth and Pit respectively.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chimera-gui posted:

Dr. Mario is not the best example to use for your idea since there are folks of the opinion that he, Lucina, and Dark Pit should have stayed re-skins of Mario, Marth and Pit respectively.

So you would want one color scheme of a character to have different moves than the others. That's p. dumb.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Imo I think that the Koopalings should have been unique characters, like in Mario Kart. It's not Right that Morton Koopa Jr. and Lemmy Koopa should have the same stats.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

jivjov posted:

So you would want one color scheme of a character to have different moves than the others. That's p. dumb.

No, when I say that they wanted Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit to be re-skins I mean as straight re-skins. No unique moves, no different stats, no unique Final Smashes; just a different appearance à la Robin and the Koopalings.

Reiley posted:

Imo I think that the Koopalings should have been unique characters, like in Mario Kart. It's not Right that Morton Koopa Jr. and Lemmy Koopa should have the same stats.

I think the justification is that they're using identical vehicles in Smash so they wouldn't need different stats whereas in Mario Kart, they're using different vehicles with different stats.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 30, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think Dark Pit should have just been a skin, but Lucina should stay separate (but be more different than she is). Dr. Mario can go either way, imo. I think sharing a slot is a good way to do the Koopalings, since they've always been kind of a collective force in the Mario games. In this case I accept that the canon of their different sizes/weights is compromised for the sake of functionality.

The real elephant in the room is the way that the separate "clone group" has wreaked havoc with the layout of the character select screen, especially coupled with the new "DLC group".

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Reiley posted:

I will bring this up with sakurai at the next meeting

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think Dark Pit should have just been a skin, but Lucina should stay separate (but be more different than she is). Dr. Mario can go either way, imo. I think sharing a slot is a good way to do the Koopalings, since they've always been kind of a collective force in the Mario games. In this case I accept that the canon of their different sizes/weights is compromised for the sake of functionality.

I would agree with you about Dark Pit since he's basically one of Pit's Brawl skins brought to life in Uprising but then you run into the problem of DP using the Three Sacred Treasures despite never using them in Uprising itself. Mind you, the Treasures should technically be broken as of Uprising meaning Pit shouldn't be able to use them either but folks are more willing to give that a pass then they would with Pittoo using them since Pit actually did use them.

I do agree about Lucina needing more differentiation from Marth though. And the Koopalings sharing a slot does at least make sense in that they act as a group.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 30, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I am lenient about Final Smash canon. The koopalings should not have a Mario Sunshine themed FS, but they do.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Supercar Gautier posted:

I am lenient about Final Smash canon. The koopalings should not have a Mario Sunshine themed FS, but they do.

Fair point, though I imagine that since they're sharing an arsenal with Bowser Jr., said arsenal might include his paintbrush.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i like how dr. mario was made to be different from mario, because even though mario is better there's still things that dr. mario can do that mario can't, so there's a reason to play him. and there are like 3 things that are different between pit and dark pit so that just comes down to player preference. lucina is just a bad design though. there is 0 reason to use her over marth because she's just flat out worse. i really hope she gets a redesign in a free update down the line (this won't happen). it's almost like picking between pikachu and pichu in melee, but at least pichu dealt a lot more damage and made your opponent feel humiliated if they lost.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

sharrrk posted:

i like how dr. mario was made to be different from mario, because even though mario is better there's still things that dr. mario can do that mario can't, so there's a reason to play him. and there are like 3 things that are different between pit and dark pit so that just comes down to player preference. lucina is just a bad design though. there is 0 reason to use her over marth because she's just flat out worse. i really hope she gets a redesign in a free update down the line (this won't happen). it's almost like picking between pikachu and pichu in melee, but at least pichu dealt a lot more damage and made your opponent feel humiliated if they lost.

Yeah, while I do like Dark Pit as a character, I wish he was more different in Smash from Pit. Especially since there are so many different weapons in that game, and the only thing they did was give him the Electroshock Arm instead of the Upperdash Arm for his side-B and kept everything else more or less the same.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Chimera-gui posted:

I do agree about Lucina needing more differentiation from Marth though.

Why? I mean, isn't her entire character literally "Female Marth"?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ruggington posted:

I will bring this up with sakurai at the next meeting

Thank you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Marth doesn't bash holes into walls when he trains.

And he also doesn't have aether.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Objectively speaking, the only three fire emblem characters who deserve to be in smash are Marth, Ike, and Anna, and well, they hosed up somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Shadowlyger posted:

The funny part is Lucina in universe fights like Ike.

• Locked thread