Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

HEY GAL posted:

Someone was asking about the symbolism of this, and I finally learned it.

This Landsknecht likes to gently caress (the mouse and bird hanging from the pike--"mouse" means oval office in German-language slang, and the bird means loving). He might have a girlfriend, in fact (the spindle: to "have someone on the spindle" means "to have an illicit partner"). He's lecherous (the eyeglasses). Unfortunately, he might also be impotent (the salt box--a symbol of male sexual potency--is empty). His masculine authority (Messer and purse) is weakened (the purse is empty), not to mention his line of work is notoriously uncertain (ditto). He's probably screwed (the owl, a symbol of impending harm).

Good thing too, because that rear end in a top hat is a German (the Cross of St. Andrew slashed into his clothing). The artist is Swiss.

I disagree with the source I got this from when the author says that the rat and hedgehog are "base creatures" and the hedgehog is a symbol of drunkenness, though. The hedgehog is a Landsknecht symbol and their word for one of their formations, and I think the rat (Ratte) is a pun on the word squad (Rotte).

HEY GAL posted:

graf produced a bunch of political cartoons actually

Foreground right: a French, as you can see by his civilian hat, civilian haircut, and weird skinny sword. He's also got a fleur-de-lis on his coat in case anyone missed the reference the first time. He's digging into his purse. Foreground left: a German. Caught between them: a Swiss, as you can see by his baselard. Background: important people conducting business. At the elbow of the French representative: a fool's head. Death is kneeing the Landsknecht in the back, and saying "Jch wet uch gern/ein wil zu lossen/was ir rettend vunder disser rosen:" "I really want to listen a while / to what you guys are saying under this rose." The rose is the actual rose beneath all these people, a common ceiling decoration in taverns, but it's also the rose of sub rosa discussions and secrets, as well as the rose of "speaking under the rose" in German in this period, "bringing about a calamity through senseless chatter."

On 5 May 1521 the recruitment treaty between France and the Eidgenossen closed; by July of the same year the French were hiring Germans in addition to Swiss. Hiring both of them at the same time on the same side is a terrible idea and has several times led to murders. Graf is afraid the Germans will betray him on the battlefield. Is Death kneeing the German in the back as an attack, or leaning on him as an almost friendly gesture? The Swiss is staring at the German...but he doesn't see what stands behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not in Bruce Jenner's case, which has made it clear that he still wishes to be referred to in the masculine form.
I'm hearing that male pronouns were only used for the sake of the interview to make things simpler on people.

Which...makes things more confusing :v:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Rorus Raz posted:

Finally something good to come out of SUPER MOM.

It'd be great if this were actually happening, but I'm awaiting another failure to indict.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

White people trying to coopt this one mother who slapped her son as One of the Good Ones.

Not so fast my friend...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
"Blacks make me PUKE!"

-Gary McCoy, 2015

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Mallard Fillmore: Year One (September 19-24, 1994)

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

You guys know what that mother cartoon is referring to right?

No, the authorities did put out a request that parents call and text their kids to stop the looting and go home. High school kids threw rocks at cops, and they knew how bad it would look if they arrested 100 fourteen and fifteen year olds.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Holy poo poo, conservatives have been on the mustard thing for a lot longer than I thought. Jesus, guys, it costs like a dollar more, get over yourselves.
e: oh, it's supposed to be like those commercials. That's what I get for not being old.

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 30, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
At the time that cartoon came out, Grey Poupon was manufactured by Nabisco.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

.Edward Penischin posted:

Not so fast my friend...

It's ok Gary. Having your straight white male privilege reflected back makes me sick most of the time too.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

.Edward Penischin posted:

Not so fast my friend...

So do you have anything to say about the argument, other than MAKES ME WANNA PUKE, Gary, you racist manchild?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Also, Gary, nice "I am definitely not an alcoholic" profile pic.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Mister Beeg posted:

This must have been the comic that Tinsley made to embark on his crusade against modern terms and phrases. 20 years later, still going strong!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sandpuppy posted:

This must have been the comic that Tinsley made to embark on his crusade against modern terms and phrases. 20 years later, still going strong!

quote:

The term Generation X was coined by the Magnum photographer Robert Capa in the early 1950s. He used it later as a title for a photo-essay about young men and women growing up immediately after the Second World War. The project first appeared in Picture Post (UK) and Holiday (US) in 1953. Describing his intention, Capa said "We named this unknown generation, The Generation X, and even in our first enthusiasm we realised that we had something far bigger than our talents and pockets could cope with." [1] The term was used for various subcultures or countercultures after the 1950s.

The name was popularized by Canadian author Douglas Coupland's 1991 novel, Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture, concerning young adults during the late 1980s and their lifestyles.[2] While Coupland's book helped to popularize the phrase Generation X in a 1989 magazine article [3] he erroneously attributed it to English rock musician Billy Idol.[4][5] In fact, Idol[6] had been a member of the punk band Generation X from 1976 to 1981, which was named after Deverson and Hamblett's 1965 sociology book Generation X[7] – a copy of which was owned by Idol's mother.[8]

Wikipedia didn't exist back then, but the library did. Friggin Tinsley.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sandpuppy posted:

Also, the generation that was in their 20s in the 90s was apparently always being called self-centered indifferent airheads too. The more things change etc etc etc

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

loquacius posted:

Also, the generation that was in their 20s in the 90s was apparently always being called self-centered indifferent airheads too. The more things change etc etc etc

I'm late Gen-X, and from what I remember of the 90s yes we've always been called disaffected shitheads more concerned with self-indulgent introspection than working hard and being Republicans.

I mean, not that that's wrong, necessarily, but drinky duck and his ilk have indeed been beating that drum for an awful long time.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 30, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Mister Beeg posted:

Ok I kinda laughed at this

what happened to you Tinsley? I really like your older art

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

frajaq posted:

Ok I kinda laughed at this

what happened to you Tinsley? I really like your older art

Why go through the effort if you're still getting paid?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Obviously too busy doing research to put forth much of an effort on the artwork.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Bicyclops posted:

The problem is that the chuckleworthy jokes are encoded in some really gross racism a lot of the time, though.

I said it was better, not that it wasn't still terrible.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

It's great how Rall can take the same topic that Bolling did in his last cartoon and do such a comparatively terrible job with the material.

Don't vote for the candidate with WALL STREET TIES, vote Republican instead!

Dan Aykroyd, I thought you were better than this :(

Ah yes, Tom Steyer, with his net worth of less than 2% of the Koch Brothers'

I get the sense that Ohman really doesn't like the Clintons.

That sign was definitely drawn in MS Paint.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Clients. :negative:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gotta respect how strongly, consistently, and confidently McKee misses the point

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Literally laughed out loud at this one

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

simply amazing

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

Gotta respect how strongly, consistently, and confidently McKee misses the point

majormonotone posted:

Literally laughed out loud at this one

I'm gonna be real, it would be infinitely preferable if the right acknowledged that the riots are in response to a real problem that needs solutions and claimed it was democrats' fault rather than standard "they're just stealing!!!!"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

frajaq posted:

simply amazing

In a perfect world, this exchange would happen and then Tea Party man would take a second and think about what he considers "oppression" (a healthcare plan proposed by a president who is the wrong color), then look at the stuff the other guy is struggling against (the widespread unpunished murder of his ethnic group by people who are supposed to protect them) and gain some much-needed perspective

In the real world he'd just call him a thug and spit on him

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

These two, together, should get some kind of award.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

colonel_korn posted:

It's great how Rall can take the same topic that Bolling did in his last cartoon and do such a comparatively terrible job with the material.

I'm giving this one a thumbs up, solely on the snoopy head ISIS flag.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Looks like we're seeing the violence inherent in the system.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

I love that even here, with what appears to be a sympathetic portrayal of a black man protesting in Baltimore, McKee manages to poo poo the bed by drawing visible boxer shorts, no doubt due to a chronic inability of the black community to pull up its pants. Don't worry buddy, old white dudes ALSO have something to teach you there--

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Way to reference these things at the height of their popularity, Eric.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dogstoyevsky posted:

I love that even here, with what appears to be a sympathetic portrayal of a black man protesting in Baltimore, McKee manages to poo poo the bed by drawing visible boxer shorts, no doubt due to a chronic inability of the black community to pull up its pants. Don't worry buddy, old white dudes ALSO have something to teach you there--

McKee is actually somewhat sympathetic to the black community in this instance, but just can't help himself. It is a real and unjust shame that this happenePULL UP YOUR PANTS AND STOP THE RIPPITY RAP MUSIC AND IT'S THE DUMBOCRAPS FAULT WHARRGARBL!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Is this a reprint? I swear I've seen it before, or at least one with the same bizarre metaphor.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Hillary managed to survive an avalanche of lies and came out on top.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Begemot posted:

Is this a reprint? I swear I've seen it before, or at least one with the same bizarre metaphor.

Debt Mountain?

No, I don't think he's ever posted anything like that:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I love how fast Allie went from literally blowing Rauner to switching to the MIGF strategy of "only Chicago matters, loving dummycrats!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The rioters in Baltimore don't have the same opportunities that white people have normalized to the extent that they play a prominent role in advertising for daily necessities. AGC.

Five years ago, Ontario privatized snow clearance on highways. An auditor-general report has now revealed that the province saved small amounts of money in exchange for way worse clearing service, slowing down travel times and making driving more dangerous for everyone in the province.

McMaster University in Hamilton, the city where MacKay lives, has decided to give a pay rise to a large number of its female staff in order to address systemic pay inequality. Of course, the pay increase is limited to tenured academics who already had six figure salaries, so it's a nice gesture but could be better.

Toronto is hosting the Pan Am Games and we are really, really unprepared for it.

The Mike Duffy trial is going to go longer than anticipated.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

I thought about doing a joke very similar to this during one of the previous instances of cops murdering an unarmed black man, but decided against it because I felt the symbolism of the pawn, while appropriate in some ways, was also kind of unintentionally demeaning to the victims in question, as well as black people in general.

That problematic reading aside, I also feel like Bennett could've gotten a subtle Klan reference by making the white piece a Knight.

Haha I'll bet Breen seriously thinks this is Pulitzer-bait.

He's probably right. :smith:

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm giving this one a thumbs up, solely on the snoopy head ISIS flag.

No, nonononono. Don't reward Rall's terrible grasp of symbolism, in even the smallest, most insignificant way. This is just as dumb as his Hello Kitty thing.

Don't even give him a centimeter of gratitude because he's already gotten miles more than he deserves.

YOU ALREADY DID THIS lovely "JOKE" DURING THE LAST DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY, FUCKFACE MCSTUPID:

IT SUCKED THEN, IT STILL SUCKS NOW, KILL YOURSELF ALREADY.

• Locked thread