Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Sash! posted:

Sowould this game have a rule like in curling that you can just give up when it becomes impossible to score enough to win, in the time allotted?

No, Saban needs to give his 4th string experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pakled posted:

8-team playoff, 5 spots for P5 champions, 2 at-larges, and, as the 8-seed, the highest-ranked mid-major champion.

This makes so much sense and would satisfy pretty much all parties and for some reason it will never happen.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Slate Action posted:

2017 Playoff Quarterfinal 1: Northern Illinois vs. Alabama

Remember that time Baylor had their best season ever and got Bortled by a mid-major?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Gurley doing an AMA on Reddit. Nothing groundbreaking but seems like a nice guy.

Pretty cool -- he said our 2012 team was the hardest he played against and gave props to Clowney/Swearinger.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde

Raku posted:

No, Saban needs to give his 4th string experience

"That drat 'curling rule' costs me a year's worth of 4th string XP"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

well duh

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Spacebump posted:

Remember that time Baylor had their best season ever and got Bortled by a mid-major?

IDK its almost like Baylor losing their bowl game is a tradition now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

The Big East AAC champ was still an automatic qualifier that year :eng101:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Gurley answered the tough questions without shying away:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
BRB buying Todd Gurley some JR's BBQ Sauce

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Numlock posted:

IDK its almost like Baylor losing their bowl game is a tradition now.

Nah. Under Briles we lost one, won two, then we went into one expected to dominate and got beat comfortably, then went into another expected to win comfortably and lost a heartbreaker. Clearly next year we're going to make the playoff and everyone's going to expect us to get rolled, and then we trash Alabama or something. Patterns!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

from Rivals:

By the Numbers:
24 of 32 were highest-rated 5.7 three-stars or higher (16 four & five-stars)
28 of 32 were three-star or higher, or "deemed to have pro potential" by Rivals.com
8 of 32 were five-star prospects
8 of 32 were four-star prospects
12 of 32 were three-star prospects

Conference Leaders:

ACC - 9
Pac-12 - 9
SEC - 7
Big Ten - 3
American - 2
Big 12 - 2

State Leaders:

Florida - 6
Georgia - 4
North Carolina - 3
California - 3
Wisconsin - 2
Arizona - 2
Texas - 2
Ten others with 1

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Spiritus Nox posted:

Big 12's current setup guarantees that a Champ game would be a rematch, though. Rematches in football are lame as hell.

I would have eagerly watched a Baylor/TCU rematch at the end of last year.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nah. Under Briles we lost one, won two, then we went into one expected to dominate and got beat comfortably, then went into another expected to win comfortably and lost a heartbreaker. Clearly next year we're going to make the playoff and everyone's going to expect us to get rolled, and then we trash Alabama or something. Patterns!

Alternately, you go 5-7 and we all chuckle as 7/8ths of Baylor Fans disappear while the other 1/8th is calling for Briles head.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Pakled posted:

8-team playoff, 5 spots for P5 champions, 2 at-larges, and, as the 8-seed, the highest-ranked mid-major champion.

Clearly the way to go

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

Gurley answered the tough questions without shying away:

Vinegar based is nasty

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Pakled posted:

Mid-Majors should not be allowed within a 1000-feet of a playoff just for winning their lovely conference and being ranked like 13th out of pity.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Mid-Majors should not be allowed within a 1000-feet of a playoff just for winning their lovely conference and being ranked like 13th out of pity.

Yeah. Have the top 5 mid-majors go to a power 5 (and the bottom power 5s go to mid-majors) instead.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Raku posted:

Yeah. Have the top 5 mid-majors go to a power 5 (and the bottom power 5s go to mid-majors) instead.

SB Nation did a good bit on the idea of relegation and I am almost okay with it: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/24/8052475/college-football-relegation-promotion-conferences-LIKE-SOCCER

TBH, I'd like to see part of the FBS split off into FCS and ban playing FCS teams in the regular season and instead have the spring games be against FCS teams.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Alternately, you go 5-7 and we all chuckle as 7/8ths of Baylor Fans disappear while the other 1/8th is calling for Briles head.

Considering we return just about everyone but Bryce Petty from an 11 win team, if Briles finds a way to go 5-7 he'll probably deserve that.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I would have eagerly watched a Baylor/TCU rematch at the end of last year.

Are you kidding? With all the pissing and moaning from TCU fans desperately trying to rationalize that 'no really, there were some questionable pass interference calls ergo coughing up 24 points in 10 minutes didn't actually count,' the last thing anyone needed was a rematch. Either Baylor wins and nothing really changes or TCU wins and we've got a 1-1 series split and wind up with both fanbases getting insufferable and going "NUH-UH, our win REALLY mattered" or "B-but so and so was injured/wasn't playing as well in game x so it didn't really count!" No loving thank you.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Considering we return just about everyone but Bryce Petty from an 11 win team, if Briles finds a way to go 5-7 he'll probably deserve that.

:dusthands:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
relegation is stupid bullshit and the creeping influence of soccer must be stopped at all costs

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

MourningView posted:

relegation is stupid bullshit and the creeping influence of soccer must be stopped at all costs

Anything that sends Rutgers back from whence they came is fine by me.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Are you kidding? With all the pissing and moaning from TCU fans desperately trying to rationalize that 'no really, there were some questionable pass interference calls ergo coughing up 24 points in 10 minutes didn't actually count,' the last thing anyone needed was a rematch. Either Baylor wins and nothing really changes or TCU wins and we've got a 1-1 series split and wind up with both fanbases getting insufferable and going "NUH-UH, our win REALLY mattered" or "B-but so and so was injured/wasn't playing as well in game x so it didn't really count!" No loving thank you.

Yea the rematch would have owned.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

vyst posted:

Vinegar based is nasty

You are nasty :colbert:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

All BBQ is good. Vinegar, Dry Rub, Sauce (tomato or otherwise). If it is a smoked meat you cannot be that upset.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Relegation just doesn't work with the college sports model. The only sport in the US that could conceivably switch to relegation/promotion without completely restructuring is pro baseball. Even bringing it up as more than a fanciful thought experiment is stupid. No school would ever support it.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 1, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Relegation just doesn't work with the college sports model. The only sport in the US that could conceivably switch to relegation/promotion without completely restructuring is pro baseball.

It wouldn't work there without a complete restructuring of how the minor leagues work either. It's dumb and the internet needs to knock it off already.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Anything that sends Rutgers back from whence they came is fine by me.

It's pretty funny that they've finished dead last in almost everything. I sort of enjoy having an even less competent version of Northwestern kicking around.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
A team from a mid major conference won the entire thing this year

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nah, y'all will regress to the mean eventually, struggling to make a bowl, and all will be well with the world.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

separate, but equal subdivisions

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Cardale Jones tweeted that he was leaving Ohio State for Akron, and then a few minutes later tweeted "May Fools".

I love this goofy man.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Great White Hope posted:

Cardale Jones tweeted that he was leaving Ohio State for Akron, and then a few minutes later tweeted "May Fools".

I love this goofy man.

Better, he changed all his twitter headers and pics to Akron stuff. May not be the most popular man in Akron now.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Why does he have to play for OSU and Urban Meyer?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

u r stupid

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

SB Nation did a good bit on the idea of relegation and I am almost okay with it: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/24/8052475/college-football-relegation-promotion-conferences-LIKE-SOCCER

TBH, I'd like to see part of the FBS split off into FCS and ban playing FCS teams in the regular season and instead have the spring games be against FCS teams.

We get it, you hate Marshall

Edit: College football is great because it's such a big world. If a mid major takes the eighth best team's place in the playoff I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. It's worth it just for the off chance something cool happens

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A third at-large spot would probably be a team that didn't even win its division most years so giving that spot to a mid-major that did, at least, win its conference is alright in my book

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

All BBQ is good.

All BBQ is good.

All BBQ is good.

All BBQ is good.

All BBQ is good.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The sauce debate overlooks the fact that well-prepared meat should be fine without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Pakled posted:

A third at-large spot would probably be a team that didn't even win its division most years so giving that spot to a mid-major that did, at least, win its conference is alright in my book
In years like last year where there's not a great mid-major team, it also serves as an added advantage for the #1 seed.

• Locked thread