Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

silvergoose posted:

...it's surprisingly hard to find time to sit down and sip whiskey with a 2 month old now in the house.

Are you kidding? Scotch is the only thing that allowed me to sleep through the first year of my son's life :-). 'Course, I'm now divorced, so ymmv!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DerekSmartymans posted:

Are you kidding? Scotch is the only thing that allowed me to sleep through the first year of my son's life :-). 'Course, I'm now divorced, so ymmv!

Thankfully, we're handling it fine so far, it's just that I like being in a good mood when I drink, and being overtired means I just wanna go to bed.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Finally opened my Rittenhouse bonded rye, decided to take a few sips neat and hoo boy this is really tasty. Can't describe it exactly, but I really liked it and am looking forward to mixing old fashioneds or manhattans with it.

...it's surprisingly hard to find time to sit down and sip whiskey with a 2 month old now in the house.

Awesome, I love Rittenhouse. If you can find it Wild Turkey 101 Rye (not the 80 proof rye they also sell) is a great value as well. I've also liked Sazerac recently.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Colleague at work bought me a bottle of my choice as a thank you yesterday - Aberlour A'bunadh was certainly a welcome surprise (i gave her 3 to choose from).

First thing that struck me is it's colour in the bottle. The shape of the bottom of the bottle lets you see through a thinner section and it looks unreal.

The nose is confronting but very sweet. As with every new whisky i tried the first sip straight up and jesus i see why people suggest a few drops of water. At nigh 60% alcohol it wad hard to get through to the flavour. Very Very sweet on the front of the tongue though.

Added 1 small ice cube to my 2 ounces of whisky so it may have been more diluted than most would suggest but for the next couple of hours it was a very enjoyable sipping drink. Cinnamon and spice and fruits were what i got out of it most.

Thankyou scotch goons for getting this one onto my radar; would recommend strongly to anyone looking for a sweet but rich dram.

Hubbins
Sep 3, 2007
THIS is what a Hubbins looks like.

silvergoose posted:

Just wait until they start walking and trying to rip it out of your hands.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hubbins posted:

Just wait until they start walking and trying to rip it out of your hands.

I think the idea is to let them sniff some strong scotch and then they won't want scotch. Right? Right?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Colleague at work bought me a bottle of my choice as a thank you yesterday - Aberlour A'bunadh was certainly a welcome surprise (i gave her 3 to choose from).

First thing that struck me is it's colour in the bottle. The shape of the bottom of the bottle lets you see through a thinner section and it looks unreal.

The nose is confronting but very sweet. As with every new whisky i tried the first sip straight up and jesus i see why people suggest a few drops of water. At nigh 60% alcohol it wad hard to get through to the flavour. Very Very sweet on the front of the tongue though.

Added 1 small ice cube to my 2 ounces of whisky so it may have been more diluted than most would suggest but for the next couple of hours it was a very enjoyable sipping drink. Cinnamon and spice and fruits were what i got out of it most.

Thankyou scotch goons for getting this one onto my radar; would recommend strongly to anyone looking for a sweet but rich dram.

It's really not a shame at all to dilute your whisky. Some whiskies are delicate and drown after only a couple of drops, and others can take quite a lot. The proof is a guide in this but not a strict rule.

Powerfully flavoured and high proof whisky like abunadh are a good example of whisky that can take quite a bit of water.

Next time try a splash of water instead of the ice cube. Cooling your whisky definitely lessens the aromas though. I'm not a whisky snob (well I am but only to myself) so I won't say it's wrong to drink whisky over ice or with coke or whatever, it's your whisky drink it however you like, but try it with a splash of water instead of an ice cube and see what you like best.

And I don't know if your tap water is chlorinated but if it is definitely use spring water.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Tried the aberlour a'bunadh again with just a splash of water as suggested. Very enjoyable. I still think i like cold scotch but this was enjoyable in a different way as well

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My local state owned liquor store has significantly increased the number of whiskeys they stock. Today I impulse bought Rocky Mountain Blackberry Flavored Whiskey by Leopold Bros. I'm a sucker for good fruity brandys (which are few) and decided to buy this without thinking too hard about the $40 price tag.

quote:

The finest blackberries from the Rocky Mountain region are harvested over the summer, juiced, and blended with our whiskey, creating an intensely rich spirit. The whiskey rests in charred American barrels, where notes of vanilla, raisin, and oak are pulled from the barrel itself, flavoring the whiskey. The spirit is naturally colored by the barrel and blackberry juice used, without the aid of artificial coloring agents. Lastly, it is bottled by hand to maintain the integrity of the sweet blackberries and soft finish.

Upon opening the bottle you get blackberries and faint whiskey aromas. On tasting you get blackberries and an inoffensive whiskey. Basically the blackberries overpower everything else. I don't have anything more to say. My verdict -- mostly gimmick. At $20-25 it would be a fun mixer; but at $40 you're up against Russell's Reserve Rye, Rare Breed, Knob Creek, Four Roses SB, Woodford, and others and this is nowhere near that quality. If you want something delicious and fruity, buy a bottle of Carriage House Apple Brandy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

wormil posted:

My local state owned liquor store has significantly increased the number of whiskeys they stock. Today I impulse bought Rocky Mountain Blackberry Flavored Whiskey by Leopold Bros. I'm a sucker for good fruity brandys (which are few) and decided to buy this without thinking too hard about the $40 price tag.

Upon opening the bottle you get blackberries and faint whiskey aromas. On tasting you get blackberries and an inoffensive whiskey. Basically the blackberries overpower everything else. I don't have anything more to say. My verdict -- mostly gimmick. At $20-25 it would be a fun mixer; but at $40 you're up against Russell's Reserve Rye, Rare Breed, Knob Creek, Four Roses SB, Woodford, and others and this is nowhere near that quality. If you want something delicious and fruity, buy a bottle of Carriage House Apple Brandy.

They even have a blackberry liqueur already. Just buy that and blend with whiskey at your leisure.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

swimming anime posted:

They even have a blackberry liqueur already. Just buy that and blend with whiskey at your leisure.

I was hoping for something a little more complex than blackberry juice poured into whiskey but unfortunately that is exactly what they did. Even the honey/bourbon products are more complex than LB.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Question. What the's opinion on the Bulleit 10 year old?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question. What the's opinion on the Bulleit 10 year old?

Better than the standard Bulleit, but still pretty underwhelming. I've had it a few times, and letting it sit for a good 15 minutes helped take some of the edge off the oak, which can be pretty overpowering.

But for about the same price, I'd go with Four Roses Single Barrel if that's an option.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ran out of whisky yesterday, went to my local bevmo and they had 3 bottles of Yamazaki for $99 each. Never had it before, bought two bottles because I swear it was cheaper a few months ago.

It's very drinkable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Yamazaki is really good but the pricing on Japanese whiskies these days is loving highway robbery.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

spankmeister posted:

Yamazaki is really good but the pricing on Japanese whiskies these days is loving highway robbery.

Yeah, I'm just going to sit on the second bottle for a while. I've heard you can get this stuff at 7-11 in Japan, I feel like I've been had.

What's better than Yamazaki in that price range?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So I'm bad at looking this up but is there a whiskey made only in Japan that I should snag while on my trip?

Meowenstein
Aug 5, 2013
As far as American whiskeys available in Japan there's Blanton's Straight from the Barrel, a barrel proof Blanton's. There's also age stated Wild Turkey expressions, an 8 year, 12 year, and 13 year.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Meowenstein posted:

As far as American whiskeys available in Japan there's Blanton's Straight from the Barrel, a barrel proof Blanton's. There's also age stated Wild Turkey expressions, an 8 year, 12 year, and 13 year.

Fo7ur Roses also have some special bourbons only available out there, but I've never tried them. Got a buddy bringing me a bottle back when he travels there in a few months.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Man, I really want to try the Blanton's that aren't available in the US, but not bad enough to pay $100+ a bottle to import. I like Blanton's well enough, but I always feel like its missing a little something that would make it great, and being 125 proof would probably be it. I've heard really good things about the SFTB and Gold Editions.

As far as Four Roses, I'm crazy about that distillery and will try any expression they put out. I had to curb my buying of various store selects because it would have become ridiculous. It's amazing that 15- 20 years ago Four Roses was complete swill. Jim Rutledge is the best.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Blanton's and Four Roses huh? Okay

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Herr Tog posted:

So I'm bad at looking this up but is there a whiskey made only in Japan that I should snag while on my trip?

Word around the blogosphere is that the big Japanese distilleries' stocks are being stretched really thin, and the age-statemented releases are super hard to find. Their NAS stuff generally isn't bad, it's just not as good. That said, most of it is unavailable here, so I say just get anything that looks good but you don't recognize from the shelf here.

Nikka From The Barrel is a blend of theirs that gets really good reviews, and is quite affordable. Get some of that.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

good jovi posted:

Word around the blogosphere is that the big Japanese distilleries' stocks are being stretched really thin, and the age-statemented releases are super hard to find. Their NAS stuff generally isn't bad, it's just not as good. That said, most of it is unavailable here, so I say just get anything that looks good but you don't recognize from the shelf here.

Nikka From The Barrel is a blend of theirs that gets really good reviews, and is quite affordable. Get some of that.

well poo poo that is a lot of info, thank you very much!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Yeah, I'm just going to sit on the second bottle for a while. I've heard you can get this stuff at 7-11 in Japan, I feel like I've been had.

I assume you got the Yamazaki 12 year or the Hakushu? You can buy the little bottles of it for around $10 at the 7-11's in Japan but regardless, Yamazaki is very popular right now and when I was in Japan a month ago I could NOT find a bottle of the 12 year ANYWHERE. Trust me, I looked everywhere. The Hakushu / YAMAZAKI DISTILLER'S RESERVE / All Hibiki lineup could easily be found but not the 12 year. You should def not feel like you've been had. Even the 12 year goes for around $75 - $80 with the current exchange rate in Japan right now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

I assume you got the Yamazaki 12 year or the Hakushu? You can buy the little bottles of it for around $10 at the 7-11's in Japan but regardless, Yamazaki is very popular right now and when I was in Japan a month ago I could NOT find a bottle of the 12 year ANYWHERE. Trust me, I looked everywhere. The Hakushu / YAMAZAKI DISTILLER'S RESERVE / All Hibiki lineup could easily be found but not the 12 year. You should def not feel like you've been had. Even the 12 year goes for around $75 - $80 with the current exchange rate in Japan right now.

Yep, I got the 12 year! I feel better about it now, thanks :)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So, I acquired a bottle of The Glenlivet 18 Year. I'm typically a beer drinker and I'm having a bit of a difficult time drinking this. Is this a bottle a good place to start? The only other types of hard liquor I've had are typically either with ice, or in shot form; stuff like Blue, Red, Black Label, Bullit, Jameson etc.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I can get Yamazaki 12s here at bevmo, I'll find that Nikkan stuff

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Nikka should be very easy to find ever since Anchor became their US distributor.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

obi_ant posted:

So, I acquired a bottle of The Glenlivet 18 Year. I'm typically a beer drinker and I'm having a bit of a difficult time drinking this. Is this a bottle a good place to start? The only other types of hard liquor I've had are typically either with ice, or in shot form; stuff like Blue, Red, Black Label, Bullit, Jameson etc.

For my birthday I was given a sampler of Glenlivet 18 and a small of bottle of off-brand Speyside from a relatively upmarket UK supermarket (Marks and Spencer). I much prefer the supermarket whisky; the Glenlivet seems bland and lifeless in comparison.

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum

Wachter posted:

the Glenlivet seems bland and lifeless in comparison.

That's how Glenlivet works in my experience

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wachter posted:

For my birthday I was given a sampler of Glenlivet 18 and a small of bottle of off-brand Speyside from a relatively upmarket UK supermarket (Marks and Spencer). I much prefer the supermarket whisky; the Glenlivet seems bland and lifeless in comparison.

But to someone who has only had beer, Glenlivet 18 is not a bad introduction.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Glenlivet 18 is one of the best deals in the US for an 18 year-old whisky. You might call it bland, but I call it smooth and balanced.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Out for dinner the other night and having a nightcap at a bar spotted Talisker Port Ruighe. No age stated (that i could see) and finished in port barrels. Very smooth, quite sweet and not a particularly full body I thought. I commented that i hadnt seen it before and bartender said it hasnt been on the market long. Anyone else had it / know anything about it?

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

$99 may or may not be a little steep for an import. Yamazaki 12 is decent stuff and (depending on Abenomics inflation, sales tax increases, and the store you go to) is usually in the $50 - $75 range once your convert from JPY to USD.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Yes, probably about a year or so ago I purchased a bottle of the Yamazaki 12 for about $48 on the advice of this thread. I quite enjoyed it. I have not seen it on a liquor store shelf since then, at any price.
I have been enjoying some Nikka 12. Very smooth and malty, a bit on the sweet side, a nice change up from Ardbeg, my usual "celebrate the weekend" dram.
Also, I found a replacement for Black Bottle in my budget, daily drinker rotation. It's Monarch of the Glen15. It's...ok. Actually pretty nice with a little club soda and ice.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Today I ran into the only shop in town with Yamazaki 12 and boy do they know it too, marked up to $85. :staredog:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
After spending most of May drinking exclusively Knob Creek 9 Year (it was on sale) I was interested to find that my local stores actually carry Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10. As a Buffalo Trace fan I am cautiously optimistic as I haven't had anything really new to try for several months now. Cracking it open tonight after a long week.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Out for dinner the other night and having a nightcap at a bar spotted Talisker Port Ruighe. No age stated (that i could see) and finished in port barrels. Very smooth, quite sweet and not a particularly full body I thought. I commented that i hadnt seen it before and bartender said it hasnt been on the market long. Anyone else had it / know anything about it?

It's another of the Talisker NAS along with the Storm & the Dark Storm.

When I was at the distillery last year the guy explained (simplified) that the malt they use has a range of peating levels and their stock control system is such that they can tell how peated the malt was for each individual barrel they have in storage.

So if the peating range for the malt is 18-26ppm of phenols, your Port Ruighe would come from 18-19ppm barrels and then finished in a Port Pipe while the Storm is from the 25-26ppm barrels. Dark Storm is the normal Storm with a couple of months in a Port Pipe tacked on the end.
All this stuff is NAS, so it may well end up having an effect on the Talisker 10 over time. Of course Diageo are having success with these NAS Taliskers and they sell (at least here in the UK) at a premium over the 10. The 10 will either disappear or go up in price in the medium term. If you can sell 5 year old scotch for £35-40, then why sell the 10 for £25-30? Sadly the bean counters are in control.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I just picked up a fifth (or a 26 I believe it is called by our friends up north) of Evan Williams, gonna get poo poo wrecked and play some videogames cause it is Friday night :greenangel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The county remodeled the nearest state liquor store and I am gobsmacked. It is now about 4 times the size and the bourbon section is 2 isles about 20' long, where it used to be one 15' shelf. I should have taken pictures but they have a poo poo-ton of bourbons, most fairly expensive ($40+).

All those options and I decided on Old Granddad. Been a few years since I've had it.

Chief approves.