Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

enigma105 posted:

This was more impressive to me. Daredevil had at least three places for hidden cuts and the camera work isn't as dynamic. Both sequences are great though and far beyond normal TV shots.

I'm pretty sure there are no hidden cuts in the Daredevil scene based on the interviews I read, unless I'm not remembering right. There was a stunt double at some parts but no cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, it is one long scene. They said they had to re-shoot it 7-8 times.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Cat Terrist posted:

Mix in one part Daredevil, add some John Wick and that's what that scene was. Or.... imagine John Wick shot like Daredevil.

If that's where they are going for Daisy Johnson action then sign me up, John Wick was amazing.

I didn't get a lot of Daredevil vibes from the gunfight. It was more the choreography of John Wick shot like the legendary hospital shootout from Hard Boiled. For reference: http://youtu.be/3bozxgVQ9m0

You can see that the Hard Boiled scene uses fluid handheld camerawork that gives it that "embedded journalist" feeling; frantic, desperate to keep up and capture the details. That's closer to what the Skye shootout looks like. By comparison, Daredevil's oner was shot with a slow-moving steadicam, creating the feeling of the camera being a dispassionate observer of the chaos.

EDIT: By the way, any fan of action cinema should find a way to watch Hard Boiled.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 30, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, it is one long scene. They said they had to re-shoot it 7-8 times.

I read that too. The "big trick" of the daredevil scene is the actor walks into the room to start the fight, then the stunt double exits the room and continues the fight which is most of what we see, before tripping back into the room to have the lead actor emerge and continue the shot/take off his mask. No visual trickery or merged shots, just 2 guys in the same outfit.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
edit is not quote.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aphrodite posted:

Really? Everyone else has been saying that nothing in the movie seems to fit it.

Nothing in the movie is called Theta Protocol, but next week will probably take one piece of the movie and say "that was Theta Protocol." I am being vague on purpose, because specifying the part I think is TP is useless movie spoilers.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I don't think it will. The show can still be used to justify that scene, but if that is theta protocol then it's a loving massive disappointment in terms of the shows own plot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah there's no way that was Theta Protocol, if you're thinking what I think you're thinking of. Although something else in the movie might be, tentatively. So maybe that's what you mean. So, um. Let's have this discussion next week?

Wow, that was useless.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 1, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Theta Protocol is talking about Theta Protocol

We can't ever talk about Theta Protocol

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

2 hours until my AoU showtime.

Hold out just a little bit longer, thread!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If Simmons is actually troubled by the irredeemable psychopath saying "I'm disappointed in you" I'm gonna be disappointed in her.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, they made another Avengers movie???

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Chokes McGee posted:

Theta Protocol is talking about Theta Protocol

We can't ever talk about Theta Protocol

Yeah, rule one about Theta Protocol is we don't discuss Theta Protocol.

Also, haven't seen AoU yet so yeah, I have no idea what you fancy European types are hinting at. Won't see it until Monday...which means I get to follow it with a AoS chaser the next night.

And seeing as I've already referenced one Brad Pitt movie, What's in the booooooat???!!!

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

The Sharmat posted:

If Simmons is actually troubled by the irredeemable psychopath saying "I'm disappointed in you" I'm gonna be disappointed in her.
He's just negging her, classic pick-up-artist technique. By the start of season three she'll be the Bonnie to his Clyde.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

The Sharmat posted:

Actually, she should be troubled by it.

Ward, a psychopath as you said being disapointed basically show how low she has fallen. That she was willing to simply murder him, shows how screwed up her morals and values have become since his betrayal. She should be better than that. Better than him, and she showed she was not.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

mikeraskol posted:

I'm pretty sure there are no hidden cuts in the Daredevil scene based on the interviews I read, unless I'm not remembering right. There was a stunt double at some parts but no cuts.

My fault for not being clear. I meant that I saw three places they could have hidden a cut but didn't. Twice when they are in the room and we just hear the combat, and once when there is a whip pan as the camera moves to the other side of the hallway. I was watching the AoS fight for a similar camera motion and didn't find one. Both are fantastic sequences that show the skills of the protagonist really well.

I didn't even think of the switch to a stuntman. That's pretty clever as well.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What if it's a Theta Protocol inside a Theta Protocol? Like a Theta Theta Protocol!?

Re: that Daredevil scene, in my opion it wasn't very good and endemic of the problems that I have especially in the first couple episodes of that show. It has an extremely slow start, and nothing happens for a large part of the beginning and near the end of the scene, with the camera sort of just lazily going back and forth down the hall which made the whole thing kind of boring. It feels like they wanted to have a cool artsy one-take scene, but don't really do anything amazing with it. Like it's just there to be there on top of feeling poorly paced.

Comparing it with the scene in Agents that starts in with the action right away and when you realize it's shot in a single take so much has happened and continuing to happen the two are like night and day. It also helps that in Agents the action is all on-camera and that there's no uncessarly movement around the set.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dalael posted:

She should be better than that. Better than him, and she showed she was not.
Holy poo poo.

I think Daredevil has ruined me for comic book morality plays. I can actually see them going this way in the show and it's awful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Irish Joe posted:

Wait, they made another Avengers movie???

Yeah, but since the last one did so poorly they just replaced everyone with cats.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So, Theta Protocal guesses so far are:

Avengers Academy
SHIELD 2.0
S.W.O.R.D.

My guess is a miniaturized prison using Pimm's "ant man" technology. I saw that in the cartoon, I figure there must be a comic book precedent.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Holy poo poo.

I think Daredevil has ruined me for comic book morality plays. I can actually see them going this way in the show and it's awful.

Killing him isn't so much the bad thing, it's killing him when he's actively helping them, by their request, by trying to backstab him in the middle of a vital operation without the permission or knowledge of the rest of the team - it's pretty clear she shouldn't have tried to do that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GORDON posted:

My guess is a miniaturized prison using Pimm's "ant man" technology. I saw that in the cartoon, I figure there must be a comic book precedent.

The 'Big House'? Yeah it's from the comics.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Wolpertinger posted:

Killing him isn't so much the bad thing, it's killing him when he's actively helping them, by their request, by trying to backstab him in the middle of a vital operation without the permission or knowledge of the rest of the team - it's pretty clear she shouldn't have tried to do that.

That makes her a bad agent but not a bad person in the vein of Ward.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, but since the last one did so poorly they just replaced everyone with cats.

gently caress yes I'm down with this. A cat in a little viking helmet, a cat with its fur dyed red white and blue, a little tabby that turns into a giant mau when he gets annoyed... :3:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What is the difference between was Skye did and what Simmons did? Or what Fitz did literally one episode ago? Skye trying to kill him is so popular it's the title of the thread. Fitz tried last week it was no big deal, even though he was, supposedly, helping the team then. Simmons tries to kill him and she's suddenly morally destitute.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

That makes her a bad agent but not a bad person in the vein of Ward.

What if she's a good person who just did a bad thing?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

counterfeitsaint posted:

What is the difference between was Skye did and what Simmons did? Or what Fitz did literally one episode ago? Skye trying to kill him is so popular it's the title of the thread. Fitz tried last week it was no big deal, even though he was, supposedly, helping the team then. Simmons tries to kill him and she's suddenly morally destitute.

Ward said it was bad.

MacheteZombie posted:

What if she's a good person who just did a bad thing?

Well the comparison was between her and Ward; but I'm not convinced the thing she did was really very bad anyway, morally speaking. It was probably bad for the mission, although Ward had already gotten them in and clearly had no intention of abiding by Coulson's terms in the first place.

Just personally, and maybe I'm a crazy person, I think that proactively trying to remove the manipulative psycho that you already know you cannot trust, has actively tried to kill you in the past, and will likely cause lots of problems for innocent people in the near future, isn't evil. Granted, that's taking justice into your own hands and defying the law and the authorities, so I guess I shouldn't expect this kind of opinion would be particularly popular in a thread about a TV show adapted from Super Hero comics.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm scared to read this thread until I see AoU.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The Sharmat posted:

Granted, that's taking justice into your own hands and defying the law and the authorities, so I guess I shouldn't expect this kind of opinion would be particularly popular in a thread about a TV show adapted from Super Hero comics.

Except for, you know, the title of this very thread.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I think it's less that Gemma has become evil, or whatever, but just that she has lost her innocence. She's now become just another ruthless SHIELD agent willing to coldly kill any enemy that needs killing. That doesn't make her a bad person, but there is sort of a sadness to that when you consider that just a year ago she was this chipper, happy doctor. She used to be trusting and friendly, now she's fear-driven and vengeful. She's changed a lot, and they're not rainbows & roses changes.

Of course, all of that change was kicked off by Ward so it's incredibly bonkers for him to be "disappointed" in her. YOU did this to her, you crazy person!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I don't think it's a flat out completely evil thing but it certainly felt dubious - it was the premeditated killing and betrayal of someone who was working with them, even if it was only temporarily. Sure, ward is an utterly terrible person, but the act itself was still slimy considering he was keeping his word at that point at least. It'd be different if they turned on him or hunted him down after their temporary alliance was over, but in the middle of it?

Especially combined with Simmon's new enthusiasm for imprisoning and or killing all the powered people it's been pretty obvious for a while that she's clearly losing it a bit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

gently caress yes I'm down with this. A cat in a little viking helmet, a cat with its fur dyed red white and blue, a little tabby that turns into a giant mau when he gets annoyed... :3:

or possibly more serious?

like there was any doubt these existed.

Although for some reason if you really want animal avengers it's all about the corgis in dressup. Thorgi in particular.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 1, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Yo, I started watching this show so I could catch any references to it in Avengers 2, and it is terrible. Like, just legit awful. I'm 9 episodes in, and I hate everyone. The characters aren't growing on me at all. I think i hate Fitz and Simmons now more than when they were introduced. And I certainly like Coulson a hell of a lot less than I did when he was in the movies.
Like that episode where they find the Asgardian guy, they do the scene where they figure out he's Asgardian, and I'm like, "bullshit, that guys not Asgardian," when they go into the hexagon interrogation room in the plane, I'm like, "bullshit, you aren't in an airplane, you're in a room that's had styrofoam glues to the walls so it looks the TARDIS" It's the only show I've ever seen that's so bad I can't suspend disbelief.

Does it ever get better? Is this a Sarah Conner Chronicles type deal? Or does it stay like this forever?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
T.A.H.I.T.I. is when it starts getting watchable.
Turn, Turn, Turn (the Post-Winter Soldier episode) is when it starts getting good.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It picks significantly up around episode 16? 17? Since you can just binge it instead of waiting a week per episode I suggest you suffer through it until you get there.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I already know Ward turns out to be evil. I don't think I'd be able to keep watching without knowing that, cause goddamn is he a blank slate of terrible right now.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I already know Ward turns out to be evil. I don't think I'd be able to keep watching without knowing that, cause goddamn is he a blank slate of terrible right now.

Him being this dumb blank slate is great. If you dont care about spoilers He straight out is making fun of playing a stupid 'Im a lone agent, I dont work well with others' character because thats what everyone just expected him to act like because of the psychological profile on him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What do people think about Coulson and Hill mocking the new SHIELD for putting things to votes? Did that strike anyone as being...kinda...lovely?...or was that just me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

What do people think about Coulson and Hill mocking the new SHIELD for putting things to votes? Did that strike anyone as being...kinda...lovely?...or was that just me.

I thought it was funny 'cause Gonzalez is a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I thought it was funny 'cause Gonzalez is a dick

And REAL SHIELD is dumb and bad. I cannot fathom anyone thinking Coulson and Hill dumping on them is a bad thing.

• Locked thread