Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Eh! Frank posted:

Except they weren't dead and in purgatory the whole time. Lost had its problems yeah, but it still astounds me how many people are still confused about that part of the finale.

Edit: VVVVVVVV I'm one of the people who believed the producers when they said they had an explanation/plan for everything, but I'm not disappointed at all that they were full of it, just because the show slowly became so bat-poo poo insane and entertaining, it almost felt like a troll to the audience.

If you want to split hairs then no, they were only dead and in purgatory the whole last season. But it's still funny that he ruled that out and then when their backs were against the wall to write an ending they had to say "well,uhhh, actually..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

I thought that was the point. The Watchmen are hosed up, broken people.

Edit: is Matt Murdock not being blind a real thing? If so, why bother calling him Daredevil since that's his entire thing.

Nah, he's blind. People just get confused because there's this one scene when he describes the world as he senses it and they do a visual representation of that in a 'world on fire' kind of way (Matt's words.)

People are just exaggerating and/or being stupid. Yeah, he's blind but he's got supersmell and superhearing and echolocation and all that superhero poo poo so he knows the bad guy is three floors down talking to people because he can smell the cologne and maybe he can read printed text because he's got supersense in his fingers so he can feel the ink (although I don't remember that from the series) but I mean, he's a goddamn superhero with superpowers. There's a fair bit of suspension of disbelief going on anyway, why start nitpicking and being a baby?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
To be fair, there's literally a scene where Foggy goes "All this time you've been telling me you're blind, and that's not true? Its all a lie?" and Matt just kinda stays silent and starts crying.
He absolutely should have said "Yes I am blind you insensitive dick, I just have good hearing. Weren't you paying attention?", but he doesn't.

He can't see, but effectively all his powers mean he doesn't need to. He can do everything we use sight for other ways, so he's not in any way impaired. He's just playing the blind man... because he grew up that way? Because it makes him sympathetic?

Like if he can hear so loving exactly, why can't he just look at people while he talks to them? He could totally fake being able to see.

You're telling me he can smell the cologne of a guy 3 floors down and he can fight a bunch of dudes and jump off buildings and land on cars and poo poo, but he can't tell where the person talking to him is standing? :v:

The whole Daredevil thing is inherently a contradiction. As we said before, he's a superhero who is blind and his superpower is that he's not blind. :v: But whatever, good show anyways.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, there's literally a scene where Foggy goes "All this time you've been telling me you're blind, and that's not true? Its all a lie?" and Matt just kinda stays silent and starts crying.
He absolutely should have said "Yes I am blind you insensitive dick, I just have good hearing. Weren't you paying attention?", but he doesn't.

He can't see, but effectively all his powers mean he doesn't need to. He can do everything we use sight for other ways, so he's not in any way impaired. He's just playing the blind man... because he grew up that way? Because it makes him sympathetic?

Like if he can hear so loving exactly, why can't he just look at people while he talks to them? He could totally fake being able to see.

You're telling me he can smell the cologne of a guy 3 floors down and he can fight a bunch of dudes and jump off buildings and land on cars and poo poo, but he can't tell where the person talking to him is standing? :v:

The whole Daredevil thing is inherently a contradiction. As we said before, he's a superhero who is blind and his superpower is that he's not blind. :v: But whatever, good show anyways.

Could he use a tablet, or touch screen phone, or actually drive while following stoplights and the like?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zaphod42 posted:

Matt literally responds to 'So you can see?' with 'no, have you listened to anything I've been telling you?'

Edit: Things Matt Murdock can't perceive: colour, the sky, anything on a screen (phones, movies, computers), anything written on a chalkboard, print (without touching it). And he can't pretend to be able to see because his eyes don't focus on objects and people would notice that. Think how weird and off-putting it can be when someone has a trick eye and you have to work out which one is looking at you.

HopperUK has a new favorite as of 00:39 on May 1, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Could he use a tablet, or touch screen phone, or actually drive while following stoplights and the like?

Irrationally Irritating: Sight is the brain creating a visual representation of photons hitting the retina. That god drat scene was a visual narrative tool used describe how different the world is to him when filtered through all his *remaining* super-enhanced senses. He does not have "sight" because his eyes do not loving work. To say he "sees' anything is metaphorical at best.

He can do that because he's a super-hero with super-loving-powers given to him by MacGuffin Toxic Chemical X.

For fucks sake, you spergs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

flosofl posted:

Irrationally Irritating: Sight is the brain creating a visual representation of photons hitting the retina. That god drat scene was a visual narrative tool used describe how different the world is to him when filtered through all his *remaining* super-enhanced senses. He does not have "sight" because his eyes do not loving work. To say he "sees' anything is metaphorical at best.

He can do that because he's a super-hero with super-loving-powers given to him by MacGuffin Toxic Chemical X.

PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: for fucks sake, you spergs

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

flosofl posted:

There are... there are irrationally irritating moments being conveyed...in THIS thread??? SOMEONE CALL RIPLEY'S!!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

flosofl posted:

Man I wasn't sperging I was genuinely curious how they handle stuff like that in the new miniseries of which I admit have watched none.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krinkle posted:

If you want to split hairs then no, they were only dead and in purgatory the whole last season. But it's still funny that he ruled that out and then when their backs were against the wall to write an ending they had to say "well,uhhh, actually..."

Only the off island scenes of the final season are purgatory. All the island stuff actually happened.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Aleph Null posted:

I thought that was the point. The Watchmen are hosed up, broken people.

Yes, that is exactly the point.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Man I wasn't sperging I was genuinely curious how they handle stuff like that in the new miniseries of which I admit have watched none.

Nah, that wasn't aimed at you. I hit quote on the wrong comment.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The last ten pages are all daredevil can someone get mad at literally anything else but daredevil? please?

My physics TA over a decade ago went off for several minutes of not-grading-our-goddamn-quizzes to say that Independence Day was poo poo because "if those space ships were 'a quarter the mass of earth's moon' they wouldn't need lasers to blow up buildings, just hovering there would tear the streets up due to gravitational forces" and it wasn't until later I rewatched it and realized they only said that about the mother-ship, not the monument-destroyers that came out of it.

It's kind of hurting my head thinking of all the tidal problems that an extra quarter moon would cause, though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Krinkle posted:

The last ten pages are all daredevil can someone get mad at literally anything else but daredevil? please?

My physics TA over a decade ago went off for several minutes of not-grading-our-goddamn-quizzes to say that Independence Day was poo poo because "if those space ships were 'a quarter the mass of earth's moon' they wouldn't need lasers to blow up buildings, just hovering there would tear the streets up due to gravitational forces" and it wasn't until later I rewatched it and realized they only said that about the mother-ship, not the monument-destroyers that came out of it.

It's kind of hurting my head thinking of all the tidal problems that an extra quarter moon would cause, though.

Maybe they'll explore the consequences of that in the sequel, coming out next year.

I can't believe there is an Independence Day sequel.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Morpheus posted:

Maybe they'll explore the consequences of that in the sequel, coming out next year.

I can't believe they waited so long to make an Independence Day sequel.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Morpheus posted:

I can't believe there is an Independence Day sequel.

Me neither.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628841/

Did they just cut/paste the cast from the last movie? Why is brent spiner there, he most definitely got murdered by an alien. If they did then why isn't Will Smith attached?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Krinkle posted:

I would pay large amounts of money for it to be very socially unacceptable for people older than 17 to watch superhero movies/tv shows etc. Or at least to not have to hear about them ever. None of them make any sense! No matter how gritty or grounded or anything! What the hell is wrong with everybody?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Krinkle posted:

Me neither.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628841/

Did they just cut/paste the cast from the last movie? Why is brent spiner there, he most definitely got murdered by an alien. If they did then why isn't Will Smith attached?

I've heard it's just rumors.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

This reads like a joke. How do they already have Bus Passenger and Girl Driving Her Car Away From Chaos listed for cast if it's just rumors and there's no trailer to pull these obscure rear end roles from?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

Many of the characters didn't die at all until well after the events of the show. The "sideways" universe was sort of purgatory, but it was set way in the future after everyone that left with Frank and the survivors on the island presumably lived a full life, so they were only "dead" for some of the scenes in the last season, everything happening in the normal timeline still happened.

The producers said that the island wasn't purgatory and they weren't all dead on the island, and you'll notice that in the parts where they were dead, they never even went to the island.
....................:lost:
:goonsay:

I don't know how much was planned, but that show was better produced than almost anything ever on television and it was one hell of a ride.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I'm upset at John Wick because the Russians call him Baba Yaga the whole time, even though Baba Yaga is not in any way "the boogeyman" and is also a woman and John Wick never once in that movie flies around in a giant mortar rowing the air with the pestle like an oar, nor does he live in a straw hut with chicken's legs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Got sick on alcohol this weekend
Do you mean you were hungover?

Aleph Null posted:

Edit: is Matt Murdock not being blind a real thing? If so, why bother calling him Daredevil since that's his entire thing.
He's definitely blind. It just has no consequences for him other than being a disguise for his secret identity.

Taeke posted:

Nah, he's blind. People just get confused because there's this one scene when he describes the world as he senses it and they do a visual representation of that in a 'world on fire' kind of way (Matt's words.)
No one is confused by that. That is not relevant to the complaint at all.

Taeke posted:

People are just exaggerating and/or being stupid. Yeah, he's blind but he's got supersmell and superhearing and echolocation and all that superhero poo poo so he knows the bad guy is three floors down talking to people because he can smell the cologne and maybe he can read printed text because he's got supersense in his fingers so he can feel the ink (although I don't remember that from the series) but I mean, he's a goddamn superhero with superpowers. There's a fair bit of suspension of disbelief going on anyway, why start nitpicking and being a baby?
You seem to be under the impression that the problem people have with it is we don't understand that he uses other senses to compensate. That is not the issue. The problem is that him being blind has no bearing on anything. He doesn't have a handicap he has to work around, he is effectively a sighted person pretending to be blind (even though he actually is blind). There's just no point to him being blind if he can perfectly compensate for it.

Calaveron posted:

I haven't watched the whole series yet, but given what I've seen him do so far I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him driving at some point. Apparently he can't use screens, but he could pretty easily play that off as eccentricity.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I would pay large amounts of money for it to be very socially unacceptable for people older than 17 to watch superhero movies/tv shows etc. Or at least to not have to hear about them ever. None of them make any sense! No matter how gritty or grounded or anything! What the hell is wrong with everybody?
Would you also ban all other implausible stories? No action movies of any kind, for a start. it's actually hard to think of any genre that would survive, really, movies are built on unrealistic premises and tropes.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Under the vegetable posted:

I'm upset at John Wick because the Russians call him Baba Yaga the whole time, even though Baba Yaga is not in any way "the boogeyman" and is also a woman and John Wick never once in that movie flies around in a giant mortar rowing the air with the pestle like an oar, nor does he live in a straw hut with chicken's legs.

Yeah, someone decided Baba Yaga just meant 'generic boogeyman' and ran with it. Actually doing any research is hard work.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

cheerfullydrab posted:

Boy, people sure do like some things I don't like. What the hell is wrong with those people, am I right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Krinkle posted:

This reads like a joke. How do they already have Bus Passenger and Girl Driving Her Car Away From Chaos listed for cast if it's just rumors and there's no trailer to pull these obscure rear end roles from?

They're actually making the movie and there are actually people cast in it but IMDB isn't really the best source for cast lists for movies that haven't actually come out yet. My understanding is that they're getting pretty much everyone from the main cast back except for Will Smith.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

Does the Punisher count as a superhero?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Got sick on alcohol this weekend and binged about a season of Deadwood.

If they're going to violate history by having everyone be hot as gently caress they might as well have kept Wild Bill around for more than like three episodes.

They actually violated history by keeping him around that long. Wild Bill was killed the same day Seth Bullock arrived in Deadwood.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

muscles like this? posted:

They're actually making the movie and there are actually people cast in it but IMDB isn't really the best source for cast lists for movies that haven't actually come out yet. My understanding is that they're getting pretty much everyone from the main cast back except for Will Smith.

My rational irritation with Independence Day 2 is that they decided to recast the president's daughter for some reason. She was played by a very young Mae Whitman in the original, and they got SO much of the original cast back - but even though Mae Whitman has grown up to be an awesome, talented, lovely actress with a proven track record...they wanted someone more "conventionally hot"? It really bothers me.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Do you mean you were hungover?

He's definitely blind. It just has no consequences for him other than being a disguise for his secret identity.

No one is confused by that. That is not relevant to the complaint at all.

You seem to be under the impression that the problem people have with it is we don't understand that he uses other senses to compensate. That is not the issue. The problem is that him being blind has no bearing on anything. He doesn't have a handicap he has to work around, he is effectively a sighted person pretending to be blind (even though he actually is blind). There's just no point to him being blind if he can perfectly compensate for it.

I haven't watched the whole series yet, but given what I've seen him do so far I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him driving at some point. Apparently he can't use screens, but he could pretty easily play that off as eccentricity.

Would you also ban all other implausible stories? No action movies of any kind, for a start. it's actually hard to think of any genre that would survive, really, movies are built on unrealistic premises and tropes.

Tiggum is my irrationally irritating forum user

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Her?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Tiggum posted:

The point is how he works around it.

Which I would have thought is kinda obvious.

This kinda reminds me of people complaining that some of the people Batman femur-crunched or spine-wiggled must have died later from complications. The 'no killing' thing is a handicap. Does it actually put any limitation on Batman? No, because he's the hero, he can always overcome that limitation because if he couldn't, there wouldn't be a drat story.

The writers could come up with more scenarios where, like, color matters, but that would seem awkward and weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In Hot Tub Time Machine. Nick is freaking out and explaining how time works like in Terminator and has a fuckton of cocaine on his face, but mid explanation they pan to other people in the group, and when he finishes he only has a small coke mustache.

You'd think a movie ABOUT TIME TRAVEL would have better continuity in the shots <:mad:>

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Vulpes posted:

Yeah, someone decided Baba Yaga just meant 'generic boogeyman' and ran with it. Actually doing any research is hard work.

It does, though? I'm from Eastern Europe and when I was little, my parents tried to scare me into behaving by telling me Baba Yaga would come for me and take me away :shrug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

szary posted:

It does, though? I'm from Eastern Europe and when I was little, my parents tried to scare me into behaving by telling me Baba Yaga would come for me and take me away :shrug:

I'm from the western United States and a librarian read us a Baba Yaga book in early grade school because kids love to be scared and it's a good story. Her house has goddam chicken legs, that's not really what I'd call a "bogeyman"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Scariest boogeyman was the one form the ghosbusters cartoon, that lived in another dimension that accessed all closets on earth.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Scariest boogeyman was the one form the ghosbusters cartoon, that lived in another dimension that accessed all closets on earth.

So, a Monsters Inc. prequel?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dr_Amazing posted:

No arguments here.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DrBouvenstein posted:

No arguments here.

That thing's chin is a butt. A hairy butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Back to the Daredevil thing but wouldn't Foggy have been pissed off not because "You can really see!" but, "You had me dragging your rear end across the street and poo poo when you didn't need my help at all".

Which is reasonable.