Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Here's my buddy's ahh, 'tournament report' you could call it, from the pro tour. It's different and I think it says a lot about our community:

http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-pt-sucks
I got two paragraphs in before I wanted to choke him out with a cat 5e cable so congrats to your friend for being insufferable I guess? He sounds like the kind of guy who sits in the lobby begging for a game with someone while listing off a litany of bans like "no blue, no discard, no decks worth more than $50" then whines that no one will play with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Soo....howbout them Magic Origins spoilers, huh? What about those things? When are they coming out?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

uruloki posted:

We have found the Ur-Goon. There is almost nothing redeeming about that article, the amount of self-loathing is a critical mass of wtf.

If you can't laugh at:

'I yelled, “Come on, Patrick, you’ve beaten tougher charges!” and no one turned around, no one laughed. It was in this moment that I understood why Rob had said, after his first PT, “I don’t want to be anything like those people.'

then I don't know what to say. :allears:

But yeah, article seemed a little, how shall we say, salty.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The fact that the background gets more and more intense as you scroll down really adds to the experience.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Its not trying to be funny it's trying to be insightful and thought provoking.

And unsurprisingly falls short of both.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Truly, the worst people are those that don't laugh at my jokes.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Soo....howbout them Magic Origins spoilers, huh? What about those things? When are they coming out?

Probably a couple of weeks after Modern Masters 2015 edition is released.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

How is it a mess? It's exactly like today except creature subtypes can go on all card types? You can't have arcane creatures because arcane is not a creature type. That's true today and no one complains. Maybe it will be more clear if I state it from the top.

You have types and certain types have subtypes. (Like we do today)
<Enumerate Lists of subtypes> (Like we do today)
Enumerate which subtypes go with which types. The same as today except creature subtypes go with all types rather than creature plus tribal.
That's it?

Sure maybe it should be Sorcery Goblin to preserve subtypes coming after types on cards but w/e.

The subtype lists exist but in practice are not needed for anything except MODO because you can infer what each subtype is from any card it appears on. If I look at a card and it says Sorcery - Arcane, I know Arcane is not a creature subtype. If I open a hypothetical Sorcery - Blahblah, how do I know whether Blahblah is a creature type or not?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
That Pro Tour report was embarrassing. Guy had nothing but utter contempt for everyone around him yet every interaction he described seemed completely cordial. He then realizes everyone is the worst when no one laughs at a terrible joke he yelled into the crowd.

Why did I keep reading. :(

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think I like the intent of the blog post and the main point but it was obfuscated by the weird love-hate thing. I gave it a cursory look and skimmed until I saw something interesting, read a few lines, then keep going. Saw children's card game, not wanting to become like those people, just enjoying the PT trip as just a trip, playing with friends for the sake of hanging out with friends and not the game. etc. which was all chill and good. Correct me if I'm wrong about what it was really about.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tribal seems like a lot of effort for not that much payoff, ultimately. Like it is funny that you can use some random-rear end spell instead of a dragon for Scorn, but it doesn't actually make sense at all.

I guess the main thing it lets you do is Yugioh-style "when this card enters the battlefield add one 'HERO" card to your hand" but I don't think they even like printing those now.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Chill la Chill posted:

I think I like the intent of the blog post and the main point but it was obfuscated by the weird love-hate thing. I gave it a cursory look and skimmed until I saw something interesting, read a few lines, then keep going. Saw children's card game, not wanting to become like those people, just enjoying the PT trip as just a trip, playing with friends for the sake of hanging out with friends and not the game. etc. which was all chill and good. Correct me if I'm wrong about what it was really about.

Thats about what I got out it. The game is fun but there are things about which suck. Wizards could be doing to lot more to make the game and experience a lot better.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The last time we had this conversation, I remember someone posting a theoretical mock-up of a card if Wizards decided to start from scratch with all the basic mechanics and evergreen keywords based on an interview with MaRo.
Like, it has Instant as a subtype, preventing the necessitating of Flash, and I think mana costs were represented a little differently.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AlternateNu posted:

The last time we had this conversation, I remember someone posting a theoretical mock-up of a card if Wizards decided to start from scratch with all the basic mechanics and evergreen keywords based on an interview with MaRo.
Like, it has Instant as a subtype, preventing the necessitating of Flash, and I think mana costs were represented a little differently.

A lot about those mock-ups was really loving ugly too though.

Like for everything they might have done well they made something else worse.

E; found them:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Here's my buddy's ahh, 'tournament report' you could call it, from the pro tour. It's different and I think it says a lot about our community:

e: turns out Speck cheated in for funsies drafts too. Another friend of mine got t1'ed against him back at GP Vancouver...

Are you sure this isn't you and not a friend?

Whoever this person is they loving blow. They are the garbage personality type that always seem to figure out ways to have a bad time. Their lack of preparation is always because they are too busy to "care" and everyone else always seems to find a way be terrible.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cernunnos posted:

E; found them:

If wizards was able to start magic over from scratch, I don't think they would print jtms.

e: there's also quite a few problems with this. How do you make a legendary creature with flash. Why are only some permanent card marked as such?

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 1, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cernunnos posted:

Yeah, it has the problem a lot of alternate universe/future card frames do where they change a bunch of poo poo around just for the sake of showing off change. Future Sight is sort of the same way.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

why do lands and enchantments say permenant on them but planeswalkers and creatures don't?!?!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, it has the problem a lot of alternate universe/future card frames do where they change a bunch of poo poo around just for the sake of showing off change. Future Sight is sort of the same way.

Most of the changes to these cards are functional. The idea is that they're changing things that aren't worth the cost of changing, but have a minor benefit.

e: the only really bad things about these cards is how they use the "splay-zone" in a willy-nilly fashion. I imagine an actual designed implementation would be more reserved and not split the type line into two separate places.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 1, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Dr. Stab posted:

e: there's also quite a few problems with this. How do you make a legendary creature with flash.

Look at Feral Invocation. It would just be Instant Legendary instead of Instant Aura.

Except the two different typing icons stacked on top of each other look clunky since the Instant one is nearly eating its way into the art, but the concept is there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you're going to reimagine Magic from scratch, the back of the cards is in much more dire need of a redesign than the fronts.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Those mock ups are fine. They use good lessons from newer board game designs that are easier to use and read. My only criticism is they are way too dark. Print shouldn't be on black backgrounds. Look at RFTG and Dominion.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Those mockups are awful. The whole "permanent/non-permanent" thing literally takes up more surface area than the type line, which is far more important. The "instant" and "legendary" monikers are tiny and difficult to see, and are again, very important. The P/T is way more busy, they figured out all the way back in Portal that adding the shield and sword was more of a detriment than a good thing even for new players. On top of all that, they look ugly and lopsided as hell.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

According to MTGO, the answer is yes, a Tribal Enchantment animated by Opalescence does in fact gain the Tribal type as its creature type:

Now it's ready for Ashnod's Transmogrant.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Now it's ready for Ashnod's Transmogrant.

Shroud. :v:

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

To be honest, the actual pro tour experience is not that much fun, that part did resonate with me. Everyone is stressed and not really having much fun.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wezlar posted:

why do lands and enchantments say permenant on them but planeswalkers and creatures don't?!?!

Babies struggle with object permanence and marketing shows that they play a lot of creatures and planeswalkers but never more than 20 lands.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
those mock ups are close to a series of test prints they did http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/839

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?

anotherblownsave posted:

I just found this thread. I've been playing magic since I was 8 years old. (Ice age) I took about 6 years off and just got back into things about a month ago. I've focused mostly on commander since getting back into it. I'm trying to teach my fiance but so far no luck. Any advice for teaching a total newbie? For me its all second nature and I'm not a very patient teacher unfortunately

Ask her if there is a specific creature type she likes. Beginning player tend to be drawn to tribal decks. I built a casual fairies deck for my girlfriend and she loves it.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

White lifegain and angels. Then throw something in there like Felidar Sovereign or Serra Avatar.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Lol. "Girls like angels and faeries, right?" Urgh. I would look to her personality type. Is she agressive and like to play recklessly? Then make her a red burn deck. That sort of thing. Also your friendly local gamestore may have free 30 card sample decks from WoTC you could try.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Girls, boys, men and women of all ages love tribal Wall decks

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Hypothetically, would those mock ups be tournament legal? I ask because 'reasons'.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

remigious posted:

Lol. "Girls like angels and faeries, right?" Urgh. I would look to her personality type. Is she agressive and like to play recklessly? Then make her a red burn deck. That sort of thing. Also your friendly local gamestore may have free 30 card sample decks from WoTC you could try.

This right here. I tried for a solid year to get my girlfriend into Magic with various cat/angel/soldier tribal decks and none of it resonated with her. She just really liked turning dudes sideways for big damage so I made her a R/G aggro deck and she fell in love with it. Bloodbraid elf, Giantbaiting, Boggart Ram Gang and a slew of aggressive one drops with a couple Boartusk Liege to top it off. Complete 180 from the white based decks I was making her but it was what finally made Magic click for her.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

2MB posted:

This right here. I tried for a solid year to get my girlfriend into Magic with various cat/angel/soldier tribal decks and none of it resonated with her. She just really liked turning dudes sideways for big damage so I made her a R/G aggro deck and she fell in love with it. Bloodbraid elf, Giantbaiting, Boggart Ram Gang and a slew of aggressive one drops with a couple Boartusk Liege to top it off. Complete 180 from the white based decks I was making her but it was what finally made Magic click for her.
I'm glad you found something that worked :) Magic is fun when you win, and lovely theme decks just aren't fun to play because you can't win with them!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

E; found them:

:agreed:
They show off some bits that would be good (I like the mana cost, Instant as a supertype would be a godsend), but they're far from perfect.

2MB posted:

Hypothetically, would those mock ups be tournament legal? I ask because 'reasons'.

They probably don't have the proper Magic back, to start with. If they do, then it's an odd situation, and I don't think anyone short of Matt Tabak or someone like that can give you a definitive 100% answer.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

Ask her if there is a specific creature type she likes. Beginning player tend to be drawn to tribal decks. I built a casual fairies deck for my girlfriend and she loves it.

I built a casual mono-black vampires deck for my girlfriend and she absolutely loves playing with it. She's even started flashing it out with hard-to-find printings and foils. (Eg foil phyrexian obliterators (only non-vampire card in the deck), and beta/FTV: 20 dark rituals, FNM promos....)

It helps that I made a werewolf deck that's around the same power level and we just use them as duel decks every once in a while.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

e: turns out Speck cheated in for funsies drafts too. Another friend of mine got t1'ed against him back at GP Vancouver...

I read the whole thing with an open mind, and frankly your friend just sounds miserable and/or his lovely experience can be explained away almost entirely with "posted lovely results with a poo poo deck" (which, to his credit, he hints at as a possibility). The vast majority of negative things he had to say about his PT experience had little or nothing to do with "our community" and everything to do with Brussels, his annoying friends, his bad luck, or himself.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Mezzanon posted:

I built a casual mono-black vampires deck for my girlfriend and she absolutely loves playing with it. She's even started flashing it out with hard-to-find printings and foils. (Eg foil phyrexian obliterators (only non-vampire card in the deck), and beta/FTV: 20 dark rituals, FNM promos....)

It helps that I made a werewolf deck that's around the same power level and we just use them as duel decks every once in a while.

My partner got interested for the short time I was playing Standard (towards the end of INN/RTR) so I built her that standard's RDW deck (the one that topped out with Hellrider) and she loved it. Usually did better than my Grixis control homebrew too :) I keep meaning to put together an R/x commander or tiny leader deck, I'll get around to it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I read the whole thing with an open mind, and frankly your friend just sounds miserable and/or his lovely experience can be explained away almost entirely with "posted lovely results with a poo poo deck" (which, to his credit, he hints at as a possibility). The vast majority of negative things he had to say about his PT experience had little or nothing to do with "our community" and everything to do with Brussels, his annoying friends, his bad luck, or himself.

It seems more like his opinion was that a lot of this stuff was specifically local to the Pro Tour. He picked a deck because it was playing alright in testing and seemed fun, but that's not how you pick a deck on the Pro Tour. His friends were lovely and stressed and so was he, because they were at all times either testing or playing Magic even when they had traveled internationally. No one else is very interested in making friends and spending time with new people in new places for the same reason; Magic came first, to the point that one guy flew in morning-of and had to leave sunday night so he could get back to work. Plenty of Pro Players don't want to talk to you because they've already got their friends and you're just a fan.

Some other problems with the game itself come out through the article. Testing is impossible on modo a lot of the time and players testing with teams will always have a massive advantage. Lots of players just don't have access to much of the game because it costs money (and costs even more to play pro) while one guy talks about having a bunch of Tarmogoyfs laying around his apartment because nearly a grand isn't much to him. Wizards is so concerned with profit that at every step they're trying to squeeze it out, even from the elite few they consider pro players, which ends up costing them on their presentation, on their players being stressed because tournament have to be completely done in paper on one weekend, prizes for even the pro tour aren't that big unless you're placing so well consistently that you're on the list of players that just get flown to every tournament for free (and even then it's hard work for not enough), and so on.

The conclusions that he draws are that he doesn't regret the experience, but that really he enjoyed the travel through Europe more than he did being stressed about cards around people who were in the same place, and that while playing magic is fun even competitively, the Pro Tour really sucks and you would probably be better served skipping out on testing and PTs and just seeing a movie with your friends or whatever.

That said, I read it on my phone and missed out on random chunks of it when I didn't feel like googling to figure out which thesaurus this guy was using in place of an editor :shrug:

• Locked thread