Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BrianWilly posted:

What do people think about Coulson and Hill mocking the new SHIELD for putting things to votes? Did that strike anyone as being...kinda...lovely?...or was that just me.

Democracy is a bad way to get things done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BrianWilly posted:

What do people think about Coulson and Hill mocking the new SHIELD for putting things to votes? Did that strike anyone as being...kinda...lovely?...or was that just me.

There's a time and place for that kind of stuff. Just because SHIELD serves a democracy doesn't mean it has to be one.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

kingcom posted:

Him being this dumb blank slate is great. If you dont care about spoilers He straight out is making fun of playing a stupid 'Im a lone agent, I dont work well with others' character because thats what everyone just expected him to act like because of the psychological profile on him.

It may be great in retrospect, but there's ten plus episodes of him just being a terrible character to get through before that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, I guess I just don't think leadership constraints is something to scoff at when your organization was nearly responsible for the end of civilization.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
What you have to understand is that, up to the turning point of Season 1 (Turn, Turn, Turn), the entire show is a gigantic red herring. Even the premise.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Democracy is serviceable for running like, a country. But running a spy/psudo military organization by committee, especially during a time of crisis is kinda dumb yeah.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

Democracy is serviceable for running like, a country. But running a spy/psudo military organization by committee, especially during a time of crisis is kinda dumb yeah.

Is there even a single democracy on Earth?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If you can't afford a Sam Jackson cameo, stop mentioning Sam Jackson's character!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Also they criminally underused Dr. Owen Maestro.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I wanna take a moment here to say that regardless of their intents during the first half of season one, that doesn't just give them a free pass on everything, nor does it mean their execution on what they did was flawless. Just because they tried doesn't mean they succeeded.

It wasn't just general low production quality, either. Even taking the fake-out premise into account, there was a lot of dialogue that was just lazy and poorly written. Like, conceptually, the idea that Fitz & Simmons are gonna be very similar and generic and then move on from there isn't inherently bad, but just cause it's a cool idea doesn't mean the scripts they wrote were the best ones possible. I'm pretty sure there were times where FitzSimmons resorted to the same hackneyed garbage phrases multiple times within a single episode.

And even if you say they perfectly executed their "pretend to be a bad show for 10 episodes!!!" idea, and that all of the bad writing and acting was purposeful and self-aware and served a larger purpose, that doesn't automatically make it a good idea. Nor does it mean that it worked. If an artist poops on a blank canvas, and when someone comes over and says "dude, it looks like you just took a dump on this thing, it looks bad and smells way worse", then... "oh yeah it's suppose to be like that" isn't really a defense.

(spoiler: that was in fact hyperbole, I do realize S1 of AoS was much better than literal human excrement)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

If it makes you feel better they never underuse him again.

Also please keep posting your reactions! It's important people don't forget what those early episodes were like.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

boom boom boom posted:

They also criminally underused Skye's ability to run in wet clothes

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

XboxPants posted:

If it makes you feel better they never underuse him again.

Also please keep posting your reactions! It's important people don't forget what those early episodes were like.

Whaaaaaaaaaat the gently caress was up with that brain surgery on Coulson thing? Isn't this show supposed to be in the same universe and of the same spirit as Guardians of the Galaxy? Fun superhero adventures? Who wanted to see Coulson getting tortured by having lasers shot into his loving brain?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I dunno, I wouldn't mind seeing that right now, really.

:smug:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaat the gently caress was up with that brain surgery on Coulson thing? Isn't this show supposed to be in the same universe and of the same spirit as Guardians of the Galaxy? Fun superhero adventures? Who wanted to see Coulson getting tortured by having lasers shot into his loving brain?

Hmm. Maybe don't watch Daredevil.

In short, yes same universe, not really to same spirit. They're allowing for bigger and bigger differences in tone between franchises.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

XboxPants posted:

Hmm. Maybe don't watch Daredevil.

In short, yes same universe, not really to same spirit. They're allowing for bigger and bigger differences in tone between franchises.

Even Daredevil didn't have poo poo like that. Daredevil was classy. The brain zapping scene was just gross.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

XboxPants posted:

I wanna take a moment here to say that regardless of their intents during the first half of season one, that doesn't just give them a free pass on everything, nor does it mean their execution on what they did was flawless. Just because they tried doesn't mean they succeeded.

It wasn't just general low production quality, either. Even taking the fake-out premise into account, there was a lot of dialogue that was just lazy and poorly written. Like, conceptually, the idea that Fitz & Simmons are gonna be very similar and generic and then move on from there isn't inherently bad, but just cause it's a cool idea doesn't mean the scripts they wrote were the best ones possible. I'm pretty sure there were times where FitzSimmons resorted to the same hackneyed garbage phrases multiple times within a single episode.

And even if you say they perfectly executed their "pretend to be a bad show for 10 episodes!!!" idea, and that all of the bad writing and acting was purposeful and self-aware and served a larger purpose, that doesn't automatically make it a good idea. Nor does it mean that it worked. If an artist poops on a blank canvas, and when someone comes over and says "dude, it looks like you just took a dump on this thing, it looks bad and smells way worse", then... "oh yeah it's suppose to be like that" isn't really a defense.

(spoiler: that was in fact hyperbole, I do realize S1 of AoS was much better than literal human excrement)

There are lots of great TV shows that had really weak first seasons. No, they don't get a free pass on everything, whatever that means, but they shouldn't be damned forever. The show has improved a hell of a lot, and I'm glad they got the chance to have a first season, see what needed to be fixed, and fix it. Most shows these days would just get replaced mid season with another poo poo reality singing contest because they weren't perfection and breaking records by episode four. That is a lovely mentality and it makes for lovely tv.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

There are lots of great TV shows that had really weak first seasons. No, they don't get a free pass on everything, whatever that means, but they shouldn't be damned forever. The show has improved a hell of a lot, and I'm glad they got the chance to have a first season, see what needed to be fixed, and fix it. Most shows these days would just get replaced mid season with another poo poo reality singing contest because they weren't perfection and breaking records by episode four. That is a lovely mentality and it makes for lovely tv.

No, of course they shouldn't be damned forever. I don't know if you were aiming that comment on me, 'cause I never said anything like that, but the quality of the first season in no way condemns the quality of later seasons. But, in the exact same way, the quality of later seasons does not somehow redeem the first season, either.

The first ~10 were kinda bad and, regardless of where the show is now, are still kinda bad. This isn't a massively important point since it doesn't have much bearing on the current episodes, but it's worth talking about that the qualities of that season honestly when it gets brought up.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Does this show get legit good, or good in comparison to how it began?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

It gets better end of S1, probably good at that point, but was still sorta uneven. (LAZERTAG ROBOTS OF DOOOOOM) But it keeps heading in the right direction and as of this season it's gotten genuinely good.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Legit good, if you like the whole comic-booky style spy thriller, but I don't think most of us hated season one quite as passionately as you are right now. It was mostly just painfully boring.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Its legit good, and the last episode even managed to kick it up a notch

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

boom boom boom posted:

Even Daredevil didn't have poo poo like that. Daredevil was classy. The brain zapping scene was just gross.

That was kinda the point. They wanted everyone horrified.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

They were resurrecting a character who had just died in a movie. They had to make it painful and horrifying and weird for people to accept it as not just being a free extra life for a character, and to explain why they don't just resurrect anyone who dies. I thought it was great, though yeah, kinda horrifying to have the normally wiseass Coulson begging to die with his brain exposed.

I wish this show didn't take so long to get good because it makes it hard to recommend to people.

I think it will only be a couple more years before people expect the more realistic fight scenes in TV (ones that wouldn't require a huge CGI budget) to be just as good as movie fight scenes every time. I think some single-take ones are kinda gimmicky though. Like the one in Daredevil, it kinda loses the single-take intensity when all you're looking at is a closed door and you just hear punches and stuff while the stuntman and main actor switch places. The one in this episode of SHIELD is more what a single-take scene should be like: it's not one take because one take shots impress people and make a scene feel different, it's just because it was a good way to show that particular action scene.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BrianWilly posted:

Considering they almost voted for "nuke everything, who gives a gently caress about prisoners," I think they deserve a little mocking. Also that their entire board is basically illegitimate and exists specifically because they defied a direct order from Fury (which, granted, was a pretty lovely order). They tried to enact a coup and everyone else's reaction was basically to point and laugh.

Also keep in mind that the last time SHIELD had a board of directors, it turned out one of them was HYDRA and they almost nuked Manhattan. Basically, never let anyone vote about SHIELD, the answer is always "nuke and forgot about it."

:3:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 1, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

If you can't afford a Sam Jackson cameo, stop mentioning Sam Jackson's character!

Please binge and post reactions. Its the best.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 1, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

kingcom posted:

Please binge and post reactions. Its the best.

He already knows about Ward, sadly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hi there. Don't talk about Age of Ultron in this thread without spoiler tags for a week or so. Be mindful of other posters. Thanks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

It's not lovely, it's awesome. A spy agency where everyone knows everything ("no more secrets!") and decisions are made democratically is a big joke.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

boom boom boom posted:

Oi dochebag! We suffered through it once, why are you making us relive it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Dude, even without seeing the movie, I'm 99% sure there's a spoiler in there...

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

That looks like a comics Avengers lineup to me, SPOILERS Ant Man isn't in Age of Ultron, plus whatever that is flying in the upper right.

VVV ARE YOU TRYING TO SPOIL ME ON ANT MAN?!?

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 1, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

VodeAndreas posted:

That looks like a comics Avengers lineup to me, SPOILERS Ant Man isn't in Age of Ultron, plus whatever that is flying in the upper right.

Wasp.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Also, it's dated 2012.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Also it's cats.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also, doesn't have Coulson in it.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Yeah the first part of the show was a fakeout and generally poorly executed, but I think assuming they intentionally made it bad is giving them too much credit - they just made some bad episodes of tv, weak opening episodes like countless other shows. It's actually a lot harder to make something intentionally bad in meta way than it is to make something good.

Potsticker posted:

What if it's a Theta Protocol inside a Theta Protocol? Like a Theta Theta Protocol!?

What if it was a test? A Beta Theta Protocol.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 1, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

Are you just now watching the show? It does get much better later in the first season, but if you can't handle a 30 seconds of sci-fi torture I don't know what to say. The tone is pretty much based on the characters nearby, even though they share the same universe. It's always been like this and yeah it causes some caution with the tonal issues.

I can pretty much imagine if Rocket & Groot showed up on Daredevil, people would have been "OK, I'm loving done" despite liking all the characters involved. Yet if that series continues as well as it is, it wouldn't be jarring to see Daredevil in the next Avengers movie or Civil War right along those characters.

It's a hard balance to walk.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 1, 2015

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Also you know in my life me and friends can have a lovely day at the fair or we can get mugged in an alley, both are perfectly possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Blazing Ownager posted:

Are you just now watching the show? It does get much better later in the first season, but if you can't handle a 30 seconds of sci-fi torture I don't know what to say. The tone is pretty much based on the characters nearby, even though they share the same universe. It's always been like this and yeah it causes some caution with the tonal issues.

I can pretty much imagine if Rocket & Groot showed up on Daredevil, people would have been "OK, I'm loving done" despite liking all the characters involved. Yet if that series continues as well as it is, it wouldn't be jarring to see Daredevil in the next Avengers movie or Civil War right along those characters.

It's a hard balance to walk.

One thing Marvel has done a great job with is bringing people into the comic genre that normally wouldn't be. They did this by starting off with really believable characters like Strak/Ironman. There was nothing magical, nothing beyond what you would expect to see in a super spy film like Bond. Captain America had the super soldier serum, but even then it wasn't crazy out of the realm of ordinary. It really wasn't until the Thor where you had to accept alien life forms, and even then that is in most people's realm of expectation. Thanos and Guardians of the Galaxy are really the first obstacle to suspension of disbelief, but really by this point if you believe everything that has happened so far, you are in for the whole ride.

• Locked thread