Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Frankly, I never expected you to make it this far.
What do you mean, teach? I told you before we were in it to win it! What, you didn't believe me?
The world is full of empty promises, Avan. Especially in times of war.
But you've made good on your word so far. A few months ago, you all would likely have been content just to get here.
Well, times change. We didn't get this far to take home second place.
Our class is gonna take down Class A and win that cup!
Heh heh. I look forward to seeing that. Now... Are you ready?
Bring it on!

*The two Classes meet outside*

Are you kidding? I've been looking forward to this. I get to shoot you!

Whoah, uh...Avan. Calm down.

An overeager lunatic and his merry band of misfits. A miracle you're here.
Not the way we see it.
Excuse me?
We know the reason we're here is because we worked together as a team. Even you can't say you got this far alone.
Class A has executed my orders flawlessly. They have always been and will continue to be the crowning pride of Lanseal.
I'll thank you and your reject friends to remember that.

Really not helping here, Zeri.

In a few minutes, you'll be able to do the same.

*Class G cheers*

We are Class A! Failure is unacceptable. But worry not, men. My command never wavers! All glory to Class A!

*Class A cheers*

I expect both classes to do the academy proud.
Now...begin!

This should've happened months ago. I do not know why this didn't happen months ago.

These two bases are effectively nothing, because they don't lead to other maps and are just distractions.

Zeri is there as safety prevention, but that base might as well not exist.

The objective is to defeat super Fencer Juliana. Not exactly easy to approach with two tanks covering the approach.

Forced Charge increases Juliana's AP, which means she travels super to murder people.

As you can see.

Also she can teleport like Baldren.

Honestly took like 7 CP to kill her because for some reason, she gets crouching sandbag defense despite getting hit from behind and standing.

Ironically, Juliana teleporting to a base I already took over was a blessing. Thanks, genius commander.

W-We...we won?
Woo! Class G's number one!
Avan, we did it!
I'm still having trouble believing it.
Avan, man, you're the MAN!

*Class G laughs and celebrates*

Hey, what gives?! You told us your strategy was perfect!
I can't....
The Army looks at the Cup results when deciding on starting ranks, you cow! You said we could trust you to win this! What are you gonna do for us now?!

drat, why the gently caress are most Lanseal students assholes?

I-I didn't mean...
It's your fault we lost! We never should have believed you!
Okay, knock it off!
Huh?!

She took pride in her role as leader and worked hard to win this for you. You relied on her for everything, and now you lose and it's her fault?
Aw!
Every one of us in Class G fought the best we could, the best way we knew how. To you, that may have looked like a disorganized mob. Maybe we are.
Our leader isn't perfect. You could spot his flows from Randgriz. He's green. But that leads him to rely on the rest of us. He trusts us to a fault. It's that mutual faith that allows us all to follow our own judgment.
I...

*Class A mumbles to themselves*

C'mon, man... Let's go.
Yeah...I'm coming.

*Class G leaves*

Sorry, Juliana. I guess we didn't--
No. He's wrong. It was I who didn't really believe in you. Somewhere in my heart, I believed we could win so long as I was perfect. Even though Class A is all of us, together. I've let you all down.

She's right. We'll train harder next year and take back the cup!
You guys...
Yes, you're right! Next year, for certain!

Class chair, step forward.
Yes, ma'am!
Congratulations on your victory. This cup is a symbol of your efforts.

The academy hopes that the lessons of this tournament will carry you far.
Thank you, sir!
Okay, dudes, time for the commemorative snapshot!
All right, guys! Everybody huddle up!
We've got five seconds until shutter time. Nobody blink! And say cheese!

Avan gains a Potential that raises accuracy, while Marion stops being racist because...winning a tournament stops racism? I dunno.

Second thing that's a huge benefit is that I can assign a second leader aka CP booster like Avan. Cosette, Zeri, or anyone that's been promoted is eligible.

*Later that day*

The chairs of both classes seem like promising candidates. Perhaps they're up to the task of our special mission.
You think Avon, as well? At his entrance exam, he was impossible to assess. But I suppose Class G is proof there's a power in unpredictability.
I'll take either of them for now, headmaster. I'll be waiting.
All right. I'll try to expedite things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Interrupted by PLOT, but I like how the Butler's design commentary is just "Butler fetish: check". Like, not even a little anecdote about his hair or anything.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, those honorary fake-fighting medals would've seemed a lot more important if they'd come before real royal combat decorations presented for saving a head of state from supersoldiers in an actual lethal battle.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was loving awful. There was no part of that finale that wasn't loving awful. Good god.

"What the poo poo Juliana?"
"I-I'm s-sorry..."
"Sorry ain't cutting it!"
"Stop picking on her! She's an awful, irredeemable, racist bitch but she's still your leader!"
"You're right! We're so sorry!"

I'm actually starting to side with Avon here.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Looks like the tournament arc is finally done; that means its time for a new one! And by the looks of things, that means we're about to start the "Avon Learns the Truth About His Brother and School" Arc! Is the Headmaster a corrupt rear end in a top hat using his students for SCIENCE? Will Avon have a breakdown when he learns the truth about his brother? Will the plot finally explain why the hell there's a magical girl hidden at the academy, and why she can't be bothered to solo the enemy castle?

All these will be answered and more!..in between all the engineer skits a certain poor bastard will have to earn and read through.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
See the writing isn't great, but if this had happened in the beginning as the school was slowly dragged into the war, the pacing at least would have been alright. There's a compelling tell to be told of a school of kids doing military school things until a war shows up on their doorstep and suddenly it's all for real. Ever hear of the battle of New Market?

There was potential here for at least a good storyline, but this is garbage.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Calling it now. Avan's brother is the big guy in concealing armor who's the first V2.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

One wrinkle in writing a game like this though is that classmate quests can happen at any point in the game, and a good chunk of them involve the actual war. While you could always just hold back the war-related characters until later in the plot (although that does reduce the amount of flexibility you have), the fact that the earlier characters are still around means that there's always going to be the potential for school antics to happen in the middle of the war. I mean, even if the school antics were better written.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
On Marion getting reconcilliation is because she saw a Darscen who is leadership material. He literally stood up for a blue blooded noble and calmed down the team he just beat even though it was in reason to rub it in.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Iirc, all the Darcsen Hater characters just gradually lose it, spread across the plot. I think the idea is just that since they're working better as a team, they start to realize that their Darcsen allies aren't all that bad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

Iirc, all the Darcsen Hater characters just gradually lose it, spread across the plot. I think the idea is just that since they're working better as a team, they start to realize that their Darcsen allies aren't all that bad.

I think all the characters that could stop being racist already changed. Which was really just Marion and Sigrid (Yes, Sigrid if recruited but not finished with his quest turns into a non-racist.) Helmut and Heinz are still racist.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

I think all the characters that could stop being racist already changed. Which was really just Marion and Sigrid (Yes, Sigrid if recruited but not finished with his quest turns into a non-racist.) Helmut and Heinz are still racist.

No, I'm saying it will happen again, later in the plot, for the others. IIRC. No one's racist by the end of the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

No, I'm saying it will happen again, later in the plot, for the others. IIRC. No one's racist by the end of the game.

Helmut and Heinz are definitely still racist, according to this endgame save I have.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, I guess I remember it wrong then.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

With Helmut, his racism is brought up during his classmate mission. He couldn't lose it here because you can do the mission after this fight, and he didn't lose it after his mission because him still being racist was part of the resolution.

No idea about Heinz, though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Marion is part of the nobility, so it stands to reason that she never had any real opportunity to interact with Darcsens until she came to Lanseal. And, well, her 2 Darcsen classmates would only serve to reinforce her prejudices initially.

Dropping the racism would probably just be part of living close to Darcsens for a while and realizing they're not all like what she imagined.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BlazeEmblem posted:

With Helmut, his racism is brought up during his classmate mission. He couldn't lose it here because you can do the mission after this fight, and he didn't lose it after his mission because him still being racist was part of the resolution.

No idea about Heinz, though.

You'd think he'd lose it anyway, because a major part of his resolution is 'I hate these people, I'm prejudiced, but doing my job matters far more and my orders are to save them.'

Basically, keep him a racist, sure, but have him get over it when in the field.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Night10194 posted:

You'd think he'd lose it anyway, because a major part of his resolution is 'I hate these people, I'm prejudiced, but doing my job matters far more and my orders are to save them.'

Basically, keep him a racist, sure, but have him get over it when in the field.

His battlefield racism has more to do with his (and others) belief that the Darscens can't be counted on in a fight, and as a result, Darscen haters fight more recklessly to make up for the Darscen's perceived timid nature. This doesn't make them any more skilled; they just can't bring themselves to put their lives in Darscen hands, opening them up to risk they don't really need to take.

Basically, imagine if you had to keep an eye on a squadmate to make sure they were fighting all through the battle: very distracting, and not very useful to the rest of the squad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wow, it's already been 7 months since we arrived at Lanseal. 7 months of preventing genocide, rescuing a Queen, and rescue a city. But more importantly, winning a tournament cup that for some reason was the highest honor out of all that.

Yeah.

Can I have your attention, please? For this year's summer feast...we're gonna reenact the battle that started it all...
Operation Cloudburst!

*Class claps*

And here are the roles: First up, playing the part of Lieutenant Gunther! With 19 votes...
Wait, ME?!

*Class cheers*

Uh, next is the heroine, Sergeant Melchiott. 12 votes give it to Cosette!
Whaaat?! Are you CERTAIN you're not mistaken, dear? The role was made for me!
I'll do my best, guys!
Squad 7's idol, Rosie goes to... Ooh. a close one! With eight votes, Lotte!
Woo hoo! It's an honor, dudes!

What an insult.

Next up...

*time passes*

Raymond, you were the only one who volunteered. It's all you, buddy.
I-I'll give it my all!
Aaand, finally, the right tank tread will be...
Zeri!

*Class claps*

A moment. There were no volunteers for that role. Why does it fall to ME?
I sense malicious intent. I demand a recount! I object to these proceeding--
What else are we gonna do, man? Nobody else wanted to do it! You were nominated by a third party, okay?
Which party?!
MY party!
I knew it! I knew it, you--

Raymond, you really are... Ugh, fine. I admit defeat.
All right! Then that settles it.
I'm penning the script. Wear extra socks, 'cause they'll be knocked off!
It's our one big holiday here at the academy. I'm so excited, you guys!
Me too!

Lore dump

A Surprising Trend at Feast?-Newspaper

Once again the Feast of All Spirits is set to arrive in a time of war. It seems the Darcsen custom of exchanging dolls for good luck has caught on amongst army soldiers, with many gifting the handmade dolls in prayer for the safety of recipients.

The army's Lieutenant Marder (28) said in an interview that he heard the custom began in the militia during the Gallian War. Surprising, given the history of feuding between militia and army, but perhaps this mindset has changed in recent years.

Class G Wins the Laevatein Cup-Lotte Insider

In the Laevatein Cup final last month Class G trounced Class A, taking home their first victory since the academy was founded. In addition to honor, the victors received the winner's cup from the first tournament and medals awarded to the winning class yearly.

As a bonus, the winners preside over the reenactment at the summer feast in August, and each member receives a fountain pen. Avan Hardins said with a slum face, ''I wish one of the prizes was edible." I'll be scripting the reenactment, by the way!

A FOUNTAIN PEN, WHOO HOO

The Laevatein Cup-Encyclopedia

An annual mock battle tournament held at Lanseal Royal Military Academy, as well as the name of the cup awarded to the victor. A tradition since the academy was founded, to win the cup is the ultimate prestige there. The matches take place over six months.

Its origin lies in medieval jousting tournaments, and matches were once focused on sword or lance combat. Now training ammunition is used, and team composition is left up to each class. Deaths and injuries are not uncommon, but it is a core part of Lanseal tradition.

Deaths and injuries are not uncommon. Then why the gently caress are you doing this tournament that takes months during war?!

Operation Cloudburst-Encyclopedia

The Gallian Army's plan to retake the Great Vasel Bridge during the war of 1935. The success of this operation eliminated the threat of an assault on Randgriz, and was the turning point of the war.

Lieutenant Welkin Gunther of the militia determined a frontal assault on the bridge would result in too many casualties. Identifying a shallow point from vegetation on the river bank, he crossed by tank under cover of fog, taking the Empire by surprise.

Gallian Tanks-Encyclopedia

The Edelweiss, a tank designed by the late Professor Theimer, played a key role in securing victory in the 1935 war. After the war, the military took note of this and based new light, medium and heavy tanks (Type 36) on the professor's design philosophy.

An auto-loader was made standard, reducing crew numbers. Medium and heavy tanks were given sloping armor like the Edelweiss. Mass production of light and medium tanks has begun, but few heavy tanks have been made. Rebel forces also use the Type 36.

Leanbluff Forest-Encyclopedia

A hilly, wooded area to the east of Anthold in southern Gallia that forms part of the Kloden Plateau region. Beech, oak and elm grow in great numbers there. Castle Leanbluff, which rises above the forest, was built by Count Menor, who once ruled the area.

Following the rebellion, the southern transport hub of Anthold came under rebel control, preventing travel on the main road linking Randgriz and Anthold. People were forced to use smaller roads such as Route 121, which passes through the forest.

So I guess that explains how Cordelia and later Hubert+Avan made it to Rangriz. There's an alternate road.

Tier 8 stuff opens up, but the biggest addition is probably the Medium APC. It's basically a beefier Light APC at the expense of losing Off road. Not really that useful, because the Utility APC is beefy enough for most situations and Off Road is way too important in certain maps.

The gimmick to this map is that most of the infantry are tier 3 Machine Gunners. Honestly not that threatening, since a Scout can relatively get through them no harder than tier 2 Shocktroopers.

Machine Gun is a really bad class.

Raymond Quest 3

Still worried about your unit class, Raymond?
N-No. I... I'm just...
Cosette tells me you're up 'til all hours each night practicing with bandages. If you're that set on it, you shouldn't give it up!
B-But all I do is cause trouble as an engineer...
You won't make anyone else happy giving up what makes YOU happy, man. And I'm sure there are plenty of things only you can do, Raymond.
You've just gotta find your own way of helping and run with it.
Y-You think so?

You're up against a rebel armored division. Expect a difficult fight.
Get careless out there, and you could easily be wiped out. I want you fully prepared before you meet me in the strategy room.

*Hubert leaves*

W-Wiped out? A-Avan! Please! L-Let me come with you this time!

Uh, does Raymond have a secret death wish or something?

That'd be a life-saver. C'mon, let's get ready!

Hahahahahahaha

Anyways, not really any gimmicks to this classmate mission. Just a standard kill-all, similiar to the other desert mission layouts.

*A radio signals calls in*

Avan. Three wounded students remain at the edge of the enemy camp. Rebel reinforcements are en route. Evacuate them ASAP.
What?! All right, let's get a team of engineers to--
Most have already been deployed to tend to the others. They're gone.
Are you serious?!

*Near the edge of enemy camp*

I was careless... My leg was hit.
If we stay here long, chances are we'll be spotted.

Nichol, again?? Come on, man.

Raymond?! You're here, man!

*sounds of machine gun fire afar*

Rifle fire! That was a Hervor-A. The rebels are closing in.
Raymond! You gotta start getting us outta here, man!
Take Marion to start. Joachim and I will wait for you to get back.
What? But what if the rebels get here first?!
There's no time. This might be a tight squeeze, but hang on! Nrraaoooooogh!

*A moment later*

Just fine. I'm good at lifting things.
I was worried when you took off alone, but now I follow.
It's like you said. There are things only I can do, so I should keep doing things my way. This is about all I can do.
It's enough, man. You wanted to be an engineer to help people, right? Well, you just pulled three people out of a fire!

Absolutely. You have my sincerest thanks.
Avan's right. You're a great engineer, Raymond.
Thank you, guys!
Come on, let's hurry back! Think you can get them back home okay, Ray?
Count on it!

Raymond replaces his accuracy-lowering flaw with a Potential that raises his Evasion/Defense/Resistance to status effects. So you basically have a super tanky Engineer which...uh...is still worse than the average Armor Tech.

Terrific.

Raymond Art Pages

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the same time, being able to move a bunch of wounded out of the line of fire to treat them does at least make sense for something you'd want in a combat medic.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tae posted:

Class G Wins the Laevatein Cup-Lotte Insider

In the Laevatein Cup final last month Class G trounced Class A, taking home their first victory since the academy was founded. In addition to honor, the victors received the winner's cup from the first tournament and medals awarded to the winning class yearly.

As a bonus, the winners preside over the reenactment at the summer feast in August, and each member receives a fountain pen. Avan Hardins said with a slum face, ''I wish one of the prizes was edible." I'll be scripting the reenactment, by the way!
A whole pen? Each? :what:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly I believe that. That's just the kind of cheapskate prize the school would pony up the cash for.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

quote:

Tier 8 stuff opens up, but the biggest addition is probably the Medium APC. It's basically a beefier Light APC at the expense of losing Off road. Not really that useful, because the Utility APC is beefy enough for most situations and Off Road is way too important in certain maps.

I forget, what does Off Road do again?

(Also you're a much stronger person than I. Been replaying the game along the thread and I already hit the point where I went "That's it, gently caress it. I'm using cheats for certificates because I refuse to grind this poo poo.")

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Night10194 posted:

At the same time, being able to move a bunch of wounded out of the line of fire to treat them does at least make sense for something you'd want in a combat medic.

Raymond getting the ability to carry 1 person would a terrific and unique upgrade. A shame of course he doesn't, and is just a waste of space like most Engineers.

Hopeford posted:

I forget, what does Off Road do again?

Some places like the desert or purple pool water reduces your vehicle's AP by a significant margin, unless you have Off Road. The Light APC is incredibly useful because the desert maps have 1-2 areas where having 700 AP drastically reduces the traveling.

I'm also still getting certificates on people that are clearly promoted, despite those people literally just standing on the base and killing like 1 dude via counterattack. This is mostly a problem for units like Scouts who get increase defense and 100 more AP, and letting any of my Engineers promote so they get extra 50 AP.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It would be great if it turned out that the ones not getting the promotion certs just happened to be darcsens. But that would actually be interesting (if still annoying), so I'm guessing that's not it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nahum Quest 2

It might go faster if you helped instead of just shouting out orders!
Hey! Sorry, guys! I totally forgot we were on campus upkeep duty!
Looks like I didn't miss much... Is there a reason it's taking so long?
How about because His Royal Highness there refuses to help out?
Don't be foolish. Grounds maintenance is no job for a king.
Now you listen to me!

But... You're right. Here you go!
C'mon, guys! Let's goooo!
Please. I don't need you to remind me, Hardins.

*Everyone except Nahum runs toward the mess*

Hmph. I'll make an exception this once. *chases after them*

*The class arrive at the mess*

The soldiering life's full of dirty work, man. Ha ha, eat dirt! *splashes Joachim*
Bwash! Oh, you are IN for it now! Super mud bomb... Goooo! *splashes back*
Would you two quit goofing around and get to work already?!

*from afar*

Hmph...

See? If you're the first to pick up a shovel, the others are happy to help. And when you do it as a group, grounds maintenance is pretty fun. C'mon!
S-Stop that! Unhand me! You'll sully my clothes!
Who cares? That just means you wash 'em later!
Hey, Avon! Get back here, man! We're never gonna finish at this rate!
Ha ha! I'm coming!

Thanks, you guys! I'll see you in class.

*everyone else leaves*

...You're a strange one, Page.
We've been over this page thing... And see? Working as a group has its perks.
I remember seeing Father among the help one night, preparing for a fete...He did seem in higher spirits then than when attending to politics. Very well, let us return. You have my laundry left to attend to, page.
You're in for a shock if you think I'm going near your royal jock, dude.

Quest progression is weird. This one feels like we juts skipped part 2 and went straight into 3, complete with that animation still.

Melissa Quest 2

...What is going to happen...

Ooh, right! Sorry, man! I felt bad about how long I had it, then forgot.
Ugh, it was my own fault for lending you anything in the first place.
Aw, don't be like that. I said I was sorry. Oh, while I have you...
What do you know about Melissa, from our class? She strike you as... odd?
Melissa Dalen? The scout?
Yeah. Sometimes I'll see her just staring at me. Like, spying on me.
You can't really think a classmate of ours is a spy, Avon.
And first and foremost, I can't say as I've ever seen her outside of class.
Seriously? Hmm...

Well, it's almost curfew. Why don't you so set an early night's sleep? *leaves*
Man, maybe I am just tired. It really felt real, but...

*rustling noise*

Huh?! Who's there?

Melissa! Okay, fess up! Why are you here? The boys’ dorm is off limits! Don't tell me you really are a spy for the rebels!
...I'm on a date.
...Haw?
I'm on a date right now. With Zeeeri.

Oh, yes.
But I've never even seen you two together, not once!
Oh, I'm always with him....Alwavs. When he eats... During drills... Tee hee hee.
Huh? But he eats with... A-ha! And after drills in the lockers!
You call staring at him from the shadows a date?!

*bell rings*

Time to tuck in Zeri. Don't want the bed bugs to bite...*disappears*

GEE YA THINK

Huh? ls somebody there?

Avan... So hot... Back to... Mama...
Your mom? What, the lady in the glasses from before? All right, I'll take you to her. It's in the old campus, right?
Nh... Uh huh... Here... Room key...

*A moment later*

Wh-What is this place?
Room... My room...
Here?! How can you live in a place like this? Oof, forget I said that. I gotta get you to bed.

*After Aliasse rests in bed*

Phew, she seems a lot better now that she's gotten to sleep.

Hm? "Project Valhalla"?
What? This... This is a photo of Leon! And one of Juliana?!

O-Oh, it's you. Aliasse almost passed out behind campus with a fever.
A fever? She didn't show any signs of illness. Her physical condition is slipping. That will delay further experimentation.
*Thinking* What's this lady's deal? Isn't she supposed to be Aliasse's guardian?
Was that all? I'd thought maybe you were next in line.
Well, either way, I have research to get back to. You know the way out.

That folder. What's this Project Valhalla about? Why do you have a picture of my brother? And of Juliana Everhart! You thought I was next in line? For what? What goes on down here anyway?
My work involves gathering data on gifted students like you and them. There's your answer. Now leave us.

*Once Avan is outside*

But what IS it? Rrgh... drat it!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Because you really want to name you super secret special project after a place dead warriors end up in.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Mad Science lady is terrible at her job, if Avan was just able to walk right into her lab and start picking up confidential paperwork.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I seriously hate Melissa. I strongly dislike when fiction tries to pass off stalking as funny or cute. Maybe I'm just an overly sensitive baby but I'm always like "Ehhhh this is seriously uncomfortable."

Also as an aside, is it me or is Avan way more bearable when he's in plot scenes than during random skits? I mean his personality is still the same but he's way less annoying(to me, at least) when he's reacting to the plot as opposed to some attempt at comedy. I kind of don't even mind his character like that.

Tae posted:

Raymond getting the ability to carry 1 person would a terrific and unique upgrade. A shame of course he doesn't, and is just a waste of space like most Engineers.

Some places like the desert or purple pool water reduces your vehicle's AP by a significant margin, unless you have Off Road. The Light APC is incredibly useful because the desert maps have 1-2 areas where having 700 AP drastically reduces the traveling.

I'm also still getting certificates on people that are clearly promoted, despite those people literally just standing on the base and killing like 1 dude via counterattack. This is mostly a problem for units like Scouts who get increase defense and 100 more AP, and letting any of my Engineers promote so they get extra 50 AP.

Oooh right that's what it does, thanks. Yeah that's really useful on some maps. And yeah I don't get why the game even allows for troops that are already promoted to keep getting certificates. If not for that, even the grinding would be a lot more bearable.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Hopeford posted:

I seriously hate Melissa. I strongly dislike when fiction tries to pass off stalking as funny or cute. Maybe I'm just an overly sensitive baby but I'm always like "Ehhhh this is seriously uncomfortable."

Also as an aside, is it me or is Avan way more bearable when he's in plot scenes than during random skits? I mean his personality is still the same but he's way less annoying(to me, at least) when he's reacting to the plot as opposed to some attempt at comedy. I kind of don't even mind his character like that.

Oooh right that's what it does, thanks. Yeah that's really useful on some maps. And yeah I don't get why the game even allows for troops that are already promoted to keep getting certificates. If not for that, even the grinding would be a lot more bearable.

Because you might decide that you don't actually want that guy to be a mobile mortar and want to change his class to something else in the same tree.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Ardeem posted:

Because you might decide that you don't actually want that guy to be a mobile mortar and want to change his class to something else in the same tree.

That makes sense, but personally I think that if that's the case you might as well just have the drop items as requirements but not make them consumable(plus not allowing characters to get duplicates of vital items like certificates). I mean it would make the game a lot easier, but honestly the grinding is my biggest issue with this game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hopeford posted:

You're forgetting he shot himself. And yeah, Melissa is really really creepy in a bad way :stare:.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Any and all criticisms of Avan has to be started with "He shot himself so his friend suffering from blood trauma would get over it."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Poil posted:

A whole pen? Each? :what:
A proper Mont Blanc / Parker still costs a great deal, moreso during Not!WWII. The kind of thing that makes me think at least some of the writers have a superficial grasp on trivia (alongside stuff like royalty student exchanges).

Tae posted:

The gimmick to this map is that most of the infantry are tier 3 Machine Gunners. Honestly not that threatening, since a Scout can relatively get through them no harder than tier 2 Shocktroopers.

Machine Gun is a really bad class.
What's wrong with it?

I checked the VC wiki (which is generally spoiler free) and got the following pearl:
"... carry considerably more powerful machineguns with larger magazines than the submachine guns that fire in a wide, narrow arc"

and also "Gunners lack grenades and because light machineguns fire in a tight, wide arch as opposed to the narrow circular radius of machine guns utilised by Shocktroopers. It is often difficult to take down an individual enemy unit unless at close range", which isn't quite as badly phrased, but still undecipherable.

Oh hey. Whoever guessed Avan's brother is the mysterious masked man had their grasp of anime cliches well in hand.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Machine Guns have the most DPS in the entire game...if they shot straight. Even at extremely close range, you are averaging about 3 bullet hits at the body. An average of 1 single hit going for the head. They are made exclusively as a defensive class, except defense is all about having your units survive so the camp doesn't get taken over, not counter damage.

That is why Engineers aren't the worst thing ever, because at least they have a niche, especially with their promotions. Machine Guns are shittier combatants than a tier 1 Engineer, easily.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Xander77 posted:

What's wrong with it?

I checked the VC wiki (which is generally spoiler free) and got the following pearl:
"... carry considerably more powerful machineguns with larger magazines than the submachine guns that fire in a wide, narrow arc"

and also "Gunners lack grenades and because light machineguns fire in a tight, wide arch as opposed to the narrow circular radius of machine guns utilised by Shocktroopers. It is often difficult to take down an individual enemy unit unless at close range", which isn't quite as badly phrased, but still undecipherable

Basically, machine guns cannot be aimed. They will always do a sweep from left of the screen to the right (or right to left?), and generally kill nothing. So... kinda like a Fencer except a quarter as strong and no defense.

That said, they're actually pretty good at base defense because each bullet they fire is several times as strong as a shocktrooper's, and intercept fire doesn't need to be "aimed". If you stand in their intercept fire for any amount of time, they're actually ridiculously strong: they can easily kill one of those armored super-soldiers for 0 CP if you contrive it to have them walk directly away from the gunner.

Not really worth replacing a Veteran Trooper, but if you've got one anyway might as well plonk them down in a base.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 2, 2015

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Clarste posted:

Basically, machine guns cannot be aimed. They will always do a sweep from left of the screen to the right (or right to left?), and generally kill nothing. So... kinda like a Fencer except a quarter as strong and no defense.

Yeah, where the fencer will basically kill everythung in that arc that doesn't duck or is a boss in 1 hit, cover or no cover, while gunner will give them light wounds. (They are far more mobile though)

And actually they don't always fire in an arc. They fire in a straight line as support fire. That hurts a lot to be on receiving end of --- but it doesn't seem worthwhile to set up since that still leaves them pretty ineffectual first turn, when some things can be killed in 1 turn even with engineers, and where scouts and shocktroopers also have grenades[1].

[1] A huge advantage the player has is that the AI almost never uses grenades. Of course, that's counterweighted by the AI generally having far more units.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Speaking of the AI's weird behaviors, one thing that really bugs me is that in defenses where your goal is to hold out for X turns sometimes the AI will just give up and end their turn even if they have a ton of command points left and it's the last turn before you win the mission. The AI feels very...odd at times. I remember back when I played this game for the fist time, as a joke one I tried to leave a bunch of troopers in my home bases for those missions and just hitting "end turn" without doing anything. Sometimes the AI would still give up and stop trying to take over the base for no reason. I mean I get that for A-Ranking those missions you need to do more than just stand in your home base and do nothing but yeeeeeah. This was a problem back in the original game too, but I think the different objectives here stretch the AI way too thin.

Anybody know if 3 better in that regard?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The flamethrower shock trooper class is basically better in every way than machine gunners. Not least because flamers are super effective against bunkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Hopeford posted:

Speaking of the AI's weird behaviors, one thing that really bugs me is that in defenses where your goal is to hold out for X turns sometimes the AI will just give up and end their turn even if they have a ton of command points left and it's the last turn before you win the mission. The AI feels very...odd at times. I remember back when I played this game for the fist time, as a joke one I tried to leave a bunch of troopers in my home bases for those missions and just hitting "end turn" without doing anything. Sometimes the AI would still give up and stop trying to take over the base for no reason. I mean I get that for A-Ranking those missions you need to do more than just stand in your home base and do nothing but yeeeeeah. This was a problem back in the original game too, but I think the different objectives here stretch the AI way too thin.

Anybody know if 3 better in that regard?

From what I've seen so far the AI is a little bit more active in 3 than in the previous titles. That said, for some reason the AI likes to call in reinforcments and move units in areas where you don't have a single units which is kind of weird.
However, the AI still is extremely dumb: During those defend X missions you generally lose whenever any enemy unit reaches that area but for some reason the AI likes to get all of their units infront of your guards and shot at them. Since your guys will be behind cover most of the time you won't take any damage and the enemies are goind to die.

• Locked thread