Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

HidaO-Win posted:

Reading it and I'm in love. I'm not saying it's the greatest RPG of all time, but I think its the RPG that is the most comfortable in its own skin of all time.

This guy gets it. The whole playtest process wasn't about changing the game to be something better in general, but to fit Feng Shui better. Make it so that the picture above is a fun thing to play with everyone involved, without one overshadowing the others at all times. I dunno if they've made it completely to that goal, but with all the incremental improvements, they definitely got a good chunk of the way.

Damnit, now I want the hardcopy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is pretty much how Feng Shui should be. Maybe add a monster and a special forces guy with an assault rifle, too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The art in this edition is amazing. The art in the first edition was pretty bad, but the stuff in here is nailing the tone.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So, who's going to be running a PbP so I can play? :haw:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

FS doesn't strike me as a very PbP-able game. Cmbat would take ages even with brisk posting.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
I dunno about ages. There's probably a number of shortcuts you could take to increase speed in PbP, like doing things 2-3 shots at a time if there's not likely to be any strong interaction between those taking actions. Mixed in with things like the Mook Pre-rolled Sheet (which is somewhere in this thread) and using some sort of google doc for the shot counter and tracking damage/etc, and it might not be that long. Hell, people have been running PbP games for games that are definitely more complex than Feng Shui before there were things like Google Docs.

That being said, that's a lot of effort put into just getting things to work out in a PbP environment, along with active players who are willing to help out with tracking and the like. It's far from a perfect solution, especially since the basic resolutions aren't the problem, just the frequency of needing them.

I say this as someone who likes Feng Shui's combat, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If someone runs it, I'm willing to take a stab at it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Man, all the art looks really great except for the GeneFreak, who's supposed to be "twisted and traumatised" and somehow this means a conventionally attractive woman in a catsuit. :confused:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Man, all the art looks really great except for the GeneFreak, who's supposed to be "twisted and traumatised" and somehow this means a conventionally attractive woman in a catsuit. :confused:

My art peeve is the Scrappy kid and her cold, dead eyes.

But yeah, the Gene Freak is the least freaky mutant ever.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I think I'm going to run a game.. I just hope nobody's seen the show/movie I'm going to base some things off of..

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

My art peeve is the Scrappy kid and her cold, dead eyes.

No, that's totally appropriate. The Scrappy Kid will gently caress you up and not even lose a second of sleep over it, because kids are monsters with no conscience. :v:

The Gene Freak art should've been a Fallout super mutant:

:v:

e; vv if there's one thing the book is missing it's archetypes based on more modern stuff. I'd love to see a Super Sentai/Henshin Hero archetype as well as some archetypes based on video game characters (Lara Croft, Max Payne, generic space marine, etc.). The good news is for the most part these are going to be easy to make using what's in the book, but it would be nice to get an official supplement at some point.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 1, 2015

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

This is the first rule book that I've just read. Manages to be pretty entertaining and informative through the entire deal. Gonna try and gangpress my buds into playing a game.

Also loving the pop-up junctures:

Where do you fight in the giant monster/power ranger apocalypse cities?
- Atop a skyscraper about to be attacked by kaiju.
- Below a skyscraper about to be attacked by kaiju.
- On a bridge about to be attacked by kaiju.
- In the ruins of a city destroyed by kaiju.
- In a kaiju hatchery.
- Around the corpse of a dead kaiju.
- In the gut of a kaiju who has just swallowed you, and a squadron of your enemies.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, the two fisted archaeologist is -way- more Indy than Lara or Nathan Drake. And isn't even really easy to adapt into one of them. They might need their own sort of "Professional Treasure Hunter" archetype.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, the two fisted archaeologist is -way- more Indy than Lara or Nathan Drake. And isn't even really easy to adapt into one of them. They might need their own sort of "Professional Treasure Hunter" archetype.

Seems fairly straightforward, really:

Professional Treasure Hunter
Guns 13, Martial Arts 11, Defence 13, Toughness 6, Fortune 8, Speed 8.
Shticks: World Heritage Badass (but change it to +Guns), Dogged, Counter Ritual, Both Guns Blazing I (or II).
Skills: Detective 11, Info: History 15.
Weapons: 2x Colt M1911 [10/2/4], Mossberg 500 Cruiser [13/5/5].

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 1, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I'd be tempted to replace counter ritual with some sort of stunt bonus that takes advantage of your years of experience in solving horrible arbitrary puzzle traps, but it's not coming to me this early. That's a good start though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'd be tempted to replace counter ritual with some sort of stunt bonus that takes advantage of your years of experience in solving horrible arbitrary puzzle traps, but it's not coming to me this early. That's a good start though.

Lara Croft spends a lot of time murdering magical creatures, so it fits for her, at least. For Drake, you'd probably want to replace both it and Both Guns Blazing, and change the weapons to something like "Walther P99 [10/1/3] and AKS-74U [13/4/1]."

I know 4 isn't a valid concealment value in the book, but it's pretty weird putting the AKS-74U, a tank crew PDW, in the same category as full-sized rifles. Seems like there should be a 4 for "any gun under 51cm overall length and 3kg weight" or whatever, which would let you fit the AKS-74U and G36C.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 1, 2015

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It seems pretty crazy to only have one day for people to send in typos before going to print. Wouldn't waiting an extra week have been better than potentially ruining a whole print run?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
With all the eyeballs on this thing, I think a few days is plenty for anything substantial that they could reasonably change without large-scale redevelopment.

There are probably also other factors at work - contract deadlines, etc.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have to say I love that they put the pop-up junctures in the main book. I thought they were going to be separate PDFs or something

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There is going to be a separate PDF of them, at least according to the kickstarter- possibly with a little more detail? The guy who wrote the core book's intro was talking about looking up the Shanghai English-language newspaper for the time period the popup juncture's in, for example.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Max Payne is a Maverick Cop who trades something out for a starting level or two of both guns blazing and maybe Hair Trigger Neck Hairs (Max's first reaction to anything suddenly should always be shoot-dodging).

I still wish the Journalist had made it into 2nd Edition. :(

SirFozzie posted:

I think I'm going to run a game.. I just hope nobody's seen the show/movie I'm going to base some things off of..

I'd say there is nothing wrong with borrowing material from various sources, especially if you're keeping the Secret War setting of Feng Shui. Most PC concepts I've ever thought of for FS started out as nothing but blatant copies of action movie/videogame characters I like. I think that is fine, because the crazy poo poo of the secret war is quickly going to evolve that Maverick Cop whose family was killed by doped up Triads beyond Max Payne or whatever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Max Payne is a Maverick Cop who trades something out for a starting level or two of both guns blazing and maybe Hair Trigger Neck Hairs (Max's first reaction to anything suddenly should always be shoot-dodging).

The Maverick Cop is Dirty Harry, though. None of the cop archetypes in the game actually work particularly well for him - you'd want a bullet time shtick, Both Guns Blazing, some kind of character flaw to represent either an addiction to booze/drugs or how plain lovely Max's luck seems to be, and some kind of shtick related to revenge (which granted, you could adapt Justice Bringer into fairly easily).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I still wish the Journalist had made it into 2nd Edition. :(

I'd say there is nothing wrong with borrowing material from various sources, especially if you're keeping the Secret War setting of Feng Shui. Most PC concepts I've ever thought of for FS started out as nothing but blatant copies of action movie/videogame characters I like. I think that is fine, because the crazy poo poo of the secret war is quickly going to evolve that Maverick Cop whose family was killed by doped up Triads beyond Max Payne or whatever.

My one actual Feng Shui PC that I got to play myself was basically HUNK from RE plus Rambo. As in, what would have happened if Rambo had found himself employed as a mercenary by a mad scientist in the Caribbean (the island lair was explicitly off the coast of Tropico and I had to prevent El Presidente from being overthrown several times) after Vietnam and then slowly slouched towards redemption and leading the Silver Dragons resurgence. I've had players start out with concepts from 'I would like to be Adam Jenner' to 'I would like to be Winston from Ghost Busters but as a Buro Monster Hunter'. It's fun to start out with a corny background and then add to it as you go. I mean, my Rambo-esque character ended up learning kung-fu due to discovering mom was an Ascended Dragon, the Monster Hunter became a badass who spoke for the Mooks and always tried to steer the party away from murdering them all, etc.

Oh, and the Ascended Cyborg Deus Ex guy helped the Ascended shift Buro out of existence only to discover the jackals became the ascendant force and created an even more horrible dystopia, forcing him and the others to try to stop the Ascended in 1996 moments after helping them win the Secret War while fighting off angry Architects holed up in the BRC who wanted revenge.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Goon Game Up:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717274

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Maverick Cop is Dirty Harry, though. None of the cop archetypes in the game actually work particularly well for him - you'd want a bullet time shtick, Both Guns Blazing, some kind of character flaw to represent either an addiction to booze/drugs or how plain lovely Max's luck seems to be, and some kind of shtick related to revenge (which granted, you could adapt Justice Bringer into fairly easily).

Thats why I said to swap some stuff for BGB. Also, I don't think being a Functioning Alcoholic with a painkiller addiction requires a specific schtick, that is just part of his melodramatic hook. As for Bullet Time:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As for Bullet Time:

Yeah, I saw that, and I disagree. It's dodge and the ability to headshot mooks with guns akimbo while flying through the air, high on painkillers. It's definitely something that would make a shtick.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, I saw that, and I disagree. It's dodge and the ability to headshot mooks with guns akimbo while flying through the air, high on painkillers. It's definitely something that would make a shtick.

Isn't that just Carnival of Carnage but fluffed some? Or do you mean maybe something like an ability to take out a mook if they miss badly enough since you sorta fade around the shot and shoot them in the face?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I thought that was "being a character in Feng Shui" more than a specific shtick!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I thought that was "being a character in Feng Shui" more than a specific shtick!

It feels like Bullet Time ought to be a shtick that gives a bonus to those things, probably in exchange for Focus, is my point.

Night10194 posted:

Isn't that just Carnival of Carnage but fluffed some?

Yeah, probably. Some combination of Carnival of Carnage, Both Guns Blazing, Fast Draw, Lightning Reload and Back For Seconds/Flesh Wound would work just fine. Maybe add Blam Blam Epigram, but instead of pithy remarks you need to say horrible noir-isms. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sometimes, when writing up your melodramatic hook, you find yourself asking "is this too melodramatic?"

The answer to this is always "no".

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is it too late to point out possible errors? The Everyman Hero has "Opportunistic Fire" listed as one of his advancements, but the closest skill to that I can find is Reactive Fire.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sometimes, when writing up your melodramatic hook, you find yourself asking "is this too melodramatic?"

The answer to this is always "no".

True. Though I'm struggling to think of a decent hook for an Everyday Hero who is mostly just a case "Wrong Place, Wrong Time, And too nice/stupid to not stick his neck out for innocents." [e] Wait, nevermind. The obvious thing is just to make him the nephew of some famous Dragon who disappeared 20 years ago. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 1, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is it too late to point out possible errors? The Everyman Hero has "Opportunistic Fire" listed as one of his advancements, but the closest skill to that I can find is Reactive Fire.

I think you still have a few hours to mail them in.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

True. Though I'm struggling to think of a decent hook for an Everyday Hero who is mostly just a case "Wrong Place, Wrong Time, And too nice/stupid to not stick his neck out for innocents." [e] Wait, nevermind. The obvious thing is just to make him the nephew of some famous Dragon who disappeared 20 years ago. :v:

Somebody stole your truck.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jack Burton works, but oddly this one isn't an obvious rip off. I just saw the art for Everday Hero in the book and thought to myself, "Man, I want to play this idiot."

Also, dramatic hook for a killer: Someone shot your dog. :v:

poo poo. Now I wanna play Not-John Wick. See, this is the problem with me and Feng Shui... [e] I still love Heroic Bloodshed as a drawback schtick.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 1, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've been sending Cam stuff all morning. Send it in ASAP - worst that can happen is that he says it's too late!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"I don't want no trouble but we're in a precious vase and ladder factory and I'm holding a baby."

Alternatively, you own a food cart in Hong Kong. Crazy people keep crashing through the drat thing in chase scenes and ruining your business. Now you must find out why!

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 1, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

With all the eyeballs on this thing, I think a few days is plenty for anything substantial that they could reasonably change without large-scale redevelopment.

There are probably also other factors at work - contract deadlines, etc.
Yes, but I'm pretty sure the deadline has already passed. It was... Noon Central, I want to say?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zereth posted:

Yes, but I'm pretty sure the deadline has already passed. It was... Noon Central, I want to say?
Yeah I think so too. I'm just saying no harm in reporting more.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It took me about ten minutes to rework the Ninja into Sam Fisher for this, incidentally (all it is is flipped Guns/MA, different weapons and new names for the shticks), so video game characters are definitely easy to make from existing archetypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Cam posted an update in the Kickstarter comments:

This fills me with confidence that most of the really important stuff has been caught.

• Locked thread